PDA

View Full Version : Why Fred Thompson hasn't entered

Matt Collins
07-30-2007, 11:19 AM
I heard a theory on why Fred Thompson hasn't entered yet.

The theory goes that he gets royalties for every time an episode which contains his part of Law and Order is aired. Due to "equal time" laws for all of the candidates, once he officially announces, the network will be unable to play any L&O episode because they would be "unfairly" giving him much more air time than any other candidate.

It sounds like there is logic to that theory, but I am not sure about validity. Someone told me they read that in the paper this weekend.

LibertyEagle
07-30-2007, 11:21 AM
I don't think he's entering the race, because then he might actually have to answer a question, rather than sitting back and pontificating.

Syren123
07-30-2007, 11:22 AM
That is true!! Even if you appear on, say, Win Ben Stein's Money (which I did years ago), on the contract you sign, you state that you will not run for public office for a year from the air date of your show. The "equal time" thing is exactly what they explained to me.

LOL...so the one thing that would make Fred Thompson palatable is the thing that will keep him from running! I love irony.

Zydeco
07-30-2007, 11:26 AM
I think they'd find a way around this if it was a problem.

I think the real reason Fred isn't running is because he doesn't want to. Did anyone see him on Hannity the other day? It's on youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgaU1-n2Ipg

Near the end, Hannity softballs him with the question (I'm paraphrasing) "Can you delineate some of the differences between your positions on issues and the other candidates'?"

...And Thompson whiffs, saying he "doesn't want to talk about that now."

You don't want to talk about how you're different from the other candidates? Give me a break. This guy doesn't have anything close to the fire in the belly.

bygone
07-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Maybe someone should be asking that question.

DeadheadForPaul
07-30-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't think he's entering the race, because then he might actually have to answer a question, rather than sitting back and pontificating.

Agreed

Right now he's gaining popularity jsut because he's "the other guy"

freelance
07-30-2007, 11:29 AM
NBC stated that when Thompson officially enters the race, they will no longer play L&O with Fred on NBC, but that they would play them on their NBC/Universal cable networks. No, I don't have a link. I heard it on TV last week, and I think it was on MSNBC.

I think the real reason he hasn't entered is because he's bombing, and the minute he formally announces is the minute he peaks.

Matt Collins
07-30-2007, 11:29 AM
That is true!! Even if you appear on, say, Win Ben Stein's Money (which I did years ago), We could sure use Bin Stein's endorsement... that guy is brilliant (and a GOP)!

Richie
07-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Fred Thompson is a weak, over hyped candidate. I have a feeling he's going to ride this wave of hype to the primary. THEN he'll announce that he's running.

Dustancostine
07-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I think this is exactly what he is doing. He is going to wait until the last second and say "Hey if you want to vote for me, vote for me".

BTW, what are the rules on getting on the ballot. It seems like if he waits too long they shouldn't let him on.

--Dustan

beermotor
07-30-2007, 11:52 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0707/5156.html

That's why he hasn't entered, heh.

Dustancostine
07-30-2007, 12:00 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0707/5156.html

That's why he hasn't entered, heh.

From the above article:

He attracted support from such top-shelf party figures as Mary Matalin, Liz Cheney, George P. Bush and other GOP stalwarts who saw him as a potential Hillary Clinton slayer.

This needs to be plastered all over the place Bushes + Cheneys = Thompson

Syren123
07-30-2007, 12:09 PM
We could sure use Bin Stein's endorsement... that guy is brilliant (and a GOP)!

OMG I didn't even think of that. Brilliant idea. I even think he lives in town (Bev Hills). Gonna call his publicist today.

THANKS MATT! You're brilliant.

Matt Collins
07-30-2007, 12:17 PM
THANKS MATT! You're brilliant.I know. You don't have to tell me. :p Now if you could hook me up with a hot looking libertarian chick I'd be happy :D

max
07-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Phony Fred is the annointed Republican of the Media Establishment. He would actually be MORE dangerous than Lady MacBeth Hillary because he can get away with stuff under the cover of a "conservative".

He is delaying his announcement for the same reason that a diva shows up late at the gala. It makes a bigger splash.

In the meantime, the press does his campaigning for him by hyping the drama "Will Fred Thompson run?" While the other candidates use up resources, Phony Fred (a member of the NY elite Council on Foreign Relations) gets a free ride.

I believe Fred Thompson is THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IN AMERICA! The other candidates are all amatuer actors, but people can smell their bullshit..

But Fred Thompson is a PROFESSIONAL ACTOR and, quite frankly, an awesome one at that. Had he pursued an acting career from the beginning instead of working as a DC lobbyist for 18 years, we might now be comparing charsimatic Fred to Marlon Brando or Al Pacino. Seriously, I think he's an awesome actor.

We need to key in on this guy and attack him. If the conservatives and Christians fall for his acting job, RP won't have a shot.

Syren123
07-30-2007, 01:12 PM
I know. You don't have to tell me. :p Now if you could hook me up with a hot looking libertarian chick I'd be happy :D

I'll see what I can do. Come to our rally in Los Angeles on 9/29. There should be a whole lot of 'em there.

bygone
07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
I know this chick, she lives down on Melrose...

Forgive me, I had to do it. ;)

inibo
07-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Republican sources say Thompson has a full-time staff of 30, split between offices in McLean, Va., and Nashville, Tenn., which will be the formal headquarters. In addition, he has interns and volunteers.

30 full time staff and 3 million dollars in the bank. We are about to get a demonstration of Thompsonian fiscal responsibility. Should be fun.

Spirit of '76
07-30-2007, 02:39 PM
We could sure use Bin Stein's endorsement... that guy is brilliant (and a GOP)!

Ben Stein is a warmongering zionist. Good luck getting him to endorse Ron Paul.

ShaneC
07-30-2007, 03:40 PM

REALLY!?!?!

I do mean that as a serious question. I never would have guessed that about him.

Spirit of '76
07-30-2007, 03:44 PM
REALLY!?!?!

Yep.

For example, just ten days ago he published this piece praising the military-industrial complex and advising people to invest in it:

http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/article/yourlife/39864

Syren123
07-30-2007, 03:46 PM

That may be. But more than that, he IS an economist - his father was actually a famous economist whose name of course escapes me. My tack when calling his people will be to emphasize Ron Paul's interest in and support of sound economic policies...maybe even refer to the 'esoteric' Austrian economic theories that influence Dr Paul's economics. Play to his obvious superior intellect. Hey. I got a job to do.

I think there are many MANY things Dr Paul and Ben Stein have in common. Read some of his books where he describes his 'bunkhouse philosophy.' Besides being funny, he's right in line with our beliefs in common sense, self reliance, action.

We all agree that we can't all agree on everything.

Shellshock1918
07-30-2007, 03:49 PM
I heard a theory on why Fred Thompson hasn't entered yet.

The theory goes that he gets royalties for every time an episode which contains his part of Law and Order is aired. Due to "equal time" laws for all of the candidates, once he officially announces, the network will be unable to play any L&O episode because they would be "unfairly" giving him much more air time than any other candidate.

It sounds like there is logic to that theory, but I am not sure about validity. Someone told me they read that in the paper this weekend.

Equal time laws? BULLSHIT. Where is Ron Paul's "equal time".

Spirit of '76
07-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey, you may be right. You can certainly try.

I just don't think there's much chance of winning over a guy who went on Fox News and said that George Bush "is going to go down in history as one of the great peacemakers and democracy-builders in the history of the world" and stated in the American Spectator that there's no possible way we can pull out of Iraq because it could be "a bloodbath" and that he prays that the Democrats see that while "war is hell, surrender is far worse".

But if you think he's reachable, go for it. ;)

Syren123
07-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey, you may be right. You can certainly try.

I just don't think there's much chance of winning over a guy who went on Fox News and said that George Bush "is going to go down in history as one of the great peacemakers and democracy-builders in the history of the world" and stated in the American Spectator that there's no possible way we can pull out of Iraq because it could be "a bloodbath" and that he prays that the Democrats see that while "war is hell, surrender is far worse".

But if you think he's reachable, go for it. ;)

I'd rather drink lighter fluid than watch Fox News so naturally I missed that. But you're right...it doesn't sound good. Like I said...I'm going to appeal to the intellectual economics nut in him. Will report back.