PDA

View Full Version : if depression starts tomorrow...

Jeremy
01-21-2008, 10:42 PM
make sure you give up other things than the internet first

we need to stick together!

Ex Post Facto
01-21-2008, 10:43 PM
We meet in DC. :p

electronicmaji
If the markets start red tommorow or fall below a certain point im gonna force my parents to go buy canned goods and shit...

Fields
You guys are acting like we're in the movie Cloverfield.

Fields
If the markets start red tommorow or fall below a certain point im gonna force my parents to go buy canned goods and shit...

In all honestly you think it could be THAT bad?

Jeremy
01-21-2008, 10:44 PM
i think cable tv would be a big thing to get rid of...

and probably cellphone too

and you can save a lot on food if you deal with bland stuff

steph3n
01-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I got guns i got land I am covered but not at all scared :D

Jeremy
01-21-2008, 10:45 PM

lol, just in case =p

could happen soon anyway

PimpBlimp
Good thing we are nearing the planting season

Basilieus

What a horrible movie that was.. lol

LibertyForever
01-21-2008, 10:46 PM
I have recently bought 6 oz's of silver. I am selling my stocks tomorow and buying more.

yongrel
01-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Times like these are when the Mormons start making sense. 2 years worth of food sounds like a pretty good plan right about now. ;)

Fields
01-21-2008, 10:47 PM
What a horrible movie that was.. lol

Was it? I haven't seen it. I was thinking about seeing it though...

Fields
01-21-2008, 10:47 PM
I have recently bought 6 oz's of silver. I am selling my stocks tomorow and buying more.

I got myself 6 12oz silver bullets hehe for tonight.

jlaker
01-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I am going to stick my head out the window and say "I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"

UtahApocalypse
01-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Anyone know any financial forums? I would like to see what the pulse is like around them.

yongrel
01-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Anyone know any financial forums? I would like to see what the pulse is like around them.

the yahoo finance boards are very popular.

Fields
01-21-2008, 10:50 PM
OH shit, http://www.cnbc.com/

Still falling.

matthylland
01-21-2008, 10:50 PM
It wont CRASH because people know its comming, and things like curbs are set up to prevent it. It would be a slow steady decline instead.

LibertyForever
01-21-2008, 10:51 PM
If we go into a depression will that cause Colleges to close? what will happen to us students? go home and work i suppose?

UtahApocalypse
01-21-2008, 10:51 PM
the yahoo finance boards are very popular.

Link?? I could not find the forums on Yahoo finance

matthylland
01-21-2008, 10:52 PM

here is Goldman Sach's message board. One of the more active.
Also spammed like crazy. But you can tell there is a little panic in the air

http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/mb/GS

rodent
01-21-2008, 10:53 PM
The S&P index futures are already trading down at 1262. I didn't realize the futures market was open during MLK day. Wtf.

frasu

such a lame movie... and the acting, indeed, bad bad bad

(just an opinion)

Indy Vidual

Check the dramatic financial doom and gloom here (http://www.tickerforum.org/cgi-ticker/akcs-www?post=24778&page=4)

FTL
A thing like this would lead to more crime, robberies, and killings.

Just look at what all 9/11 lead us into. Yeah we lost two big towers and thousands of lives, but look at how much more damage our country has accumulated in the years after.

Some argue that Osama, taliban, terrorists caused 9/11. Yeah ok, but the damage our country has sustained after 9/11 is of our own governments doing.

Chris Conyers
01-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Time to buy gold and silver coins now more than ever.

Korey Kaczynski
01-21-2008, 10:55 PM
If we go into a depression will that cause Colleges to close? what will happen to us students? go home and work i suppose?

Another person looking for an excuse to get out ;)

slydecix
01-21-2008, 10:55 PM

Quick, everyone buy an HD camcorder!

Hook
01-21-2008, 10:59 PM
You guys need to relax. Depressions don't happen in one day. Even the Great Depression took over a year from start to bottoming out.

Anyway, there is no more evidence we are going to have a depression this cycle than last time.

Financial gurus are no more accurate at forcasting than chimps throwing darts at stock symbols. So go out and canvass instead of worrying about something you can't control anyway. :D

steph3n
01-21-2008, 11:00 PM
You guys need to relax. Depressions don't happen in one day. Even the Great Depression took over a year from start to bottoming out.

Anyway, there is no more evidence we are going to have a depression this cycle than last time.

Financial gurus are no more accurate at forcasting than chimps throwing darts at stock symbols. So go out and canvass instead of worrying about something you can't control anyway. :D

Agreed, don't worry about it till you are in the bread lines.

Jeremy
01-21-2008, 11:00 PM
i know, this thread wasn't that serious

but it's true that if we go into depression sometime, let's try to keep the internet as long as possible

i can cut back on a lot of other things to save money

Hook
01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Agreed, don't worry about it till you are in the bread lines.

Well, maybe a little bit before the bread lines. But we have a long way to go until then.:cool:

electronicmaji
01-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Times like these are when the Mormons start making sense. 2 years worth of food sounds like a pretty good plan right about now. ;)

Yet only 5% of the church pratice the minimums....that they changed...3 times....so now its 3 months of food...

madRazor

Pulse is that the US is leading the way down. The rest of the world is freaking out because the US has always been the juggernaut of the world economy, and they are getting oversold now. People in Asia are trying to remind about their solid economies and solid companies. It's just the ones that are highly leveraged to the US are getting slaughtered and dragging everything down and down HARD. The herd is selling. India's market just opened down 12% and was halted.

It's a complete freak out, but it's all because of the good ol' US of A and our horrible monetary and economic policies. So here, I think it's time to freak out, but I think the rest of the world is getting a little ahead of itself...

bclemms

Ok, the Dow is down 20% over the last 90 days, Dow futures are down 555 heading into tomorrow and almost all the major markets have dropped 10-20% since the last time the US markets were open. All this despite the Fed cutting rates significantly and promising big rate cuts plus congress approving a stimilus package.When should the panic begin?

haaaylee
01-21-2008, 11:12 PM
so how do i buy gold and silver?

Original_Intent
01-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Heh you guys laugh a bit and i am not by any means a "stock guru" but I do have a sister who is pretty high up in a national bank...

At a recent meeting they asked "who here in management was in management back in '89?" My sister and three others stand up. The speaker says "Everyone, else, these four are the only ones that have any clue about the year we are in for."

My sis tells me tonight that she thinks that half of branches may be closed by the end of 2008. I was talking to my dad who owns a small farm out in the country, and I asked him in all seriousness if there is room for us and could we live off the land if it came down to it.

Sooner or later, helicopter Ben's gonna run out of gas... Bush's $800 per family "stimulus package" give me a break, that is half a mortgage payment or less for most people.

dsentell
01-21-2008, 11:13 PM

I'll share my secret --- www.apmex.com

steve005
01-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, maybe a little bit before the bread lines. But we have a long way to go until then.

how long?... I've heard estimates of 3 weeks before store's shelves will be empty in cases of economies crashing

Hook
01-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok, the Dow is down 20% over the last 90 days, Dow futures are down 555 heading into tomorrow and almost all the major markets have dropped 10-20% since the last time the US markets were open. All this despite the Fed cutting rates significantly and promising big rate cuts plus congress approving a stimilus package.When should the panic begin?

You should never panic. You should have a diversified portfolio equally spread between stocks, bonds, gold/silver bullion, and money market. That way no matter which sector goes amuck, you still come out ahead in the long run.

This is a great time to buy stocks, AFAIC. Which is what I'll be doing tomorrow. :D

Detonator
01-21-2008, 11:18 PM
http://www.lifeandlibertyministries.com/archives/Tom%20photo%20for%20tract.JPG

Hook
01-21-2008, 11:19 PM
how long?... I've heard estimates of 3 weeks before store's shelves will be empty in cases of economies crashing

Actually, it is more like 3 days supplies on grocery shelves. It's not like all the famers are going to look at the stock market tomorrow and then decide not to harvest their produce or something. As long as people have money to buy food, people will still be delivering it.

amonasro
01-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Full blown panic:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/

Hook
01-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Full blown panic:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/

You guys need to stay away from there. :D Unless you feel like doing the Huck thing with razors.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-21-2008, 11:23 PM
make sure you give up other things than the internet first

we need to stick together!

Cable TV is going first. :)

Hook
01-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Cable TV is going first. :)

You should get rid of that anyway. It will be better for you brain. :)

freelance
In all honestly you think it could be THAT bad?

In a word, YES!

Jim Sinclair has been yelling, "This is IT" at the top of his lungs for a few weeks. He's been warning for far longer. He's never wrong, but he's often way ahead of the curve.

bluemarkets
it's going to be a bloody day tomorrow on wall street with asian markets down 2 days in a row, interesting to see what the european markets do when they open around 2am... US futures are already down 5%

Id get out of any long positions you have in the market for awhile, this correction is long overdue (stocks, IRA's, 401k) get liquid or buy some precious metals. Gold and silver should take a dip as well, as people sell to cover losses. as it drops pick some up..

just my 2 cents
due your own due diligence before playing with the markets

amonasro
01-21-2008, 11:27 PM
You guys need to stay away from there. :D Unless you feel like doing the Huck thing with razors.

Well sometimes I just can't help myself :D

freelance
01-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Actually, it is more like 3 days supplies on grocery shelves. It's not like all the famers are going to look at the stock market tomorrow and then decide not to harvest their produce or something. As long as people have money to buy food, people will still be delivering it.

What will they use to pay for the gas to transport it?

Fields
01-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Whoa, The Panic Of '08

http://www.drudgereport.com/

freelance
01-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Check out Asia--Hong Kong and Japan are still open.

http://money.cnn.com/data/world_markets/index.html

And remember, tomorrow is going to be like two days' worth of trading. What do you want to bet they halt the markets?

Fields
01-21-2008, 11:33 PM

And remember, tomorrow is going to be like two days' worth of trading. What do you want to bet they halt the markets?

No one would take that bet. 1-1 odds.

Xonox
01-21-2008, 11:35 PM

What exactly happens after they halt the markets? I always hear people say "oh it's okay, they'll stop trading before it all goes to hell" but won't it just crash some more once it starts again?

Hook
01-21-2008, 11:35 PM
What will they use to pay for the gas to transport it?

From capital they made from profits from last week's delivery. :confused:

DrCap
01-21-2008, 11:36 PM
I've already hedged myself some against this before the new year, but now I'm considering further changes... I thought I was aggressively selling the stock market a few weeks ago, but it probably wasn't enough...
you never know though what might occur, bernacke might come in with 1/2 point cut tomorrow and 'inject' more liquidity into the markets also -they have tried the new tack of creating 20 billion 'dollars' with their computers overnight, then lending it at low rates, etc - only staves off the inevitable.
The Fed will act tomorrow (to worsen our mess for later!)

DrCap
01-21-2008, 11:38 PM
What exactly happens after they halt the markets? I always hear people say "oh it's okay, they'll stop trading before it all goes to hell" but won't it just crash some more once it starts again?

The market always has to reopen at some point, remember after 9/11 they closed for a few days, opened, fell, etc.
It just keeps going down, but it gives the fed time to push computer buttons to create more money and 'fix' the problem.
RP is the only candidate who understands what the hell is happening to our economy!

freelance
01-21-2008, 11:39 PM

They'll trot the chorus out to calm fears while the PPT gets their black boxes ready to buy futures with (our--read tax) money to put a little lipstick on the pig. That's just my guess, but it's a patten when the DOW starts tanking.

I remember in the back of my mind that they halt the market when it drops X%, but I can't remember what X is.

freelance
01-21-2008, 11:41 PM
From capital they made from profits from last week's delivery. :confused:

Yes, but at some point, they are going to have to use some of that money to live, and then what happens? Where does the money come from for next year's crop? (I'm assuming lots of inflation in this scenario; otherwise, you're correct.) I'm just looking at a worst-case scenario.

torchbearer
01-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Did anyone notice that we are almost in a global recession?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7201658.stm

Asian markets see further losses
Board showing prices on Sydney's ASX
Sydney was one of the exchanges which saw losses early on Tuesday
Share prices in Asia and Australasia continued to fall sharply on Tuesday, a day after global stock indexes tumbled amid fears of a global recession.

Japan's benchmark Nikkei index plunged 1.5% in the first minute of trading.

South Korean and Australian shares dropped by around 5% with Sydney's market continuing its longest losing streak for 26 years.

The drops came a day after global stock indexes saw the biggest fall since the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001.

During the morning trading session, Japanese stocks tumbled more than 4%, hitting new two-year lows.

In China, the main Shanghai Composite Index fell more than 5% in early trade, while markets in Taiwan saw similar falls.

Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index was also down more than 5% by mid-morning.

The decline continued a worrying start to 2008 for Asia's markets.

So far this year, Japan's Nikkei has dropped 13%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng is down more than 14% and China's main Shanghai index has slipped almost 7%.

Global recession feared

On Monday, London's FTSE 100 index tumbled 5.5% to 5,578.2, wiping £77bn ($149bn) off the value of its listed shares.

Indexes in Paris and Frankfurt slumped by about 7%, while share prices in South America also dropped.

Japanese trader looks at market board in Tokyo - file photo 12 December 2007
Japan's Nikkei index has dropped 13% so far in 2008

The Brazilian stock market - the largest in the region - fell by 6.6%, while Mexico's IPC index fell 5.35%.

Brazil's real dropped by 2.47% against the dollar, and Mexico's peso lost 0.85% against the US currency, registering a five-month low.

Investors questioned whether a recent plan to boost the US economy would be enough to avert a full-blown recession.

Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the head of the International Monetary Fund, said the global economic situation was "serious" and that all countries in the world were suffering in the wake of a slowdown in US growth.

Last week the US government announced a financial stimulus plan which would involve about $145bn in tax cuts to encourage spending.

US bond markets, which were closed for a public holiday on Monday, are to reopen later on Tuesday and many analysts say they could see sharp falls after markets worldwide reacted negatively on Monday.

Francis Lun of Fulbright Securities in Hong Kong said the falls stemmed from disappointment that the US stimulus was "too little, too late" adding that investors felt "it wouldn't help the economy recover".

'Panic mode'

The worry is that tax breaks and spending measures will not be enough to boost consumer spending in the US, because deeper economic problems remain.

In particular, the slowing housing market and problems in the sub-prime sector - which lends to those with limited or no credit histories - has contributed to a slowdown.

"We're falling back into the crisis of confidence in the financial sector," said Hugues Rialan, of Robeco France.

"The banks have been reassuring the market over their exposure to US mortgage-related investments, but now we realise there is nothing reassuring about it," he said.

Finance firms were among the main fallers, with Dutch ING Group, Germany's Allianz and Swiss Re all falling about 10%, while Royal Bank of Scotland shed 8%.

FTSE100 - WORST DAYS
20/10/87 down 12.2%
19/10/87 down 10.8%
26/10/87 down 6.2%
11/09/01 down 5.7%
22/10/87 down 5.7%

Many shoppers are struggling under higher mortgage repayment costs, prompting default rates to surge, especially among sub-prime borrowers.

This has prompted banks to tighten their lending policies after losing huge amounts of investments linked to the US housing and mortgage markets.

The state of the US economy is crucial for many of Europe's and Asia's biggest companies because it is one of their biggest export markets.

FTSE100 - BEST DAYS
21/10/87 up 7.9%
13/03/03 up 6.1%
10/04/92 up 5.6%
15/10/02 up 5.1%
25/07/02 up 5.0%

Any slowdown in demand is likely to hurt corporate profit growth and push share prices even lower, analysts have warned.

But some analysts took comfort from the prospect of falling US interest rates.

"If interest rates are cut to the extent we and others expect, the likelihood is that today's share prices will look like silly values in 12 months' time, if not before," said Mike Lenhoff at Brewin Dolphin Securities.

Hook
01-21-2008, 11:43 PM
They'll trot the chorus out to calm fears while the PPT gets their black boxes ready to buy futures with (our--read tax) money to put a little lipstick on the pig. That's just my guess, but it's a patten when the DOW starts tanking.

I remember in the back of my mind that they halt the market when it drops X%, but I can't remember what X is.

Yeah. They halt for like an hour first time, then 2 hours if it keeps going down. Then half day. Something like that.

All just foolishness, since the market is going to go where it needs to go to reflect the current situation.

Xonox
01-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah. They halt for like an hour first time, then 2 hours if it keeps going down. Then half day. Something like that.

All just foolishness, since the market is going to go where it needs to go to reflect the current situation.

maybe if we close our eyes it will all just go away :rolleyes:

Fields
01-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Hmmmm. The future is sound more grim as we chat....

UtahApocalypse
01-21-2008, 11:48 PM
what time do the EU markets get going?

Swmorgan77

Heck yes!!

Its actually only 1 year that is advised but the more the better IMO.

I've got about 6 months, need to get the rest :(

Fields
maybe if we close our eyes it will all just go away :rolleyes:

I do that all the time. But it usually doesn't work. :cool:

Hook
01-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Hmmmm. The future is sound more grim as we chat....

If it makes you feel better, the general ecomony usually takes 6 months to a year to go down after a stock market crash. And sometimes a market crash doesn't effect the economy much.

damoncrowe
01-21-2008, 11:51 PM

Check out the-moneychanger.com. Everyone should look this up anyway. Franklin Sanders was part of the largest aquitted trial ever with the IRS. He has a great story. He beat the IRS in court and now sells precious metals. Some of you may recognize him from Freedom to Fascism.

freelance
01-21-2008, 11:54 PM

Yesterday, BUT people may be so hysterical that they'll actually start to listen to Ron Paul.

Swmorgan77
01-21-2008, 11:56 PM

You're right, but this has been years in the making with inflation and debt-based economy.

What CAN happen suddenly, is a domino effect of the public's REALIZATION of the above, which can be dramatic in its impact.

As for the canvassing, I second that. The more people are personally impacted by the economic realities, the better the opportunity and more open they are to Ron Paul's message and solutions.

Heck, I find opportunities to talk to people every day about dollar devaluation, and it leads easily into RP discussion. No matter how much the Fed and the politicans like Fred pretend it isn't real people are seeing it in their lives in prices.

cageybee
01-21-2008, 11:57 PM
I invite all of you to read this post http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=97029

Fields
01-21-2008, 11:58 PM
I invite all of you to read this post http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=97029

Invitation accepted.

mavtek
01-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Damn you guys are more worried than me! I just hope the crash doesn't send everything into turmoil. I would hope the stoppage of overt spending recently will keep the value of the dollar static to an extent and everything will come back around.

Menthol Patch
01-22-2008, 12:32 AM
The futures are going down even more!

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/stocks/futures.html

Menthol Patch
01-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Damn you guys are more worried than me! I just hope the crash doesn't send everything into turmoil. I would hope the stoppage of overt spending recently will keep the value of the dollar static to an extent and everything will come back around.

A bad enough stock market crash could literally end our civilization as we know it. You see, our civilization is OVERLY complex due to our reliance on technology. If things start falling apart it is NOT going to be fixed easily.

Fifty years ago most people still had some basic survival skills and stores kept a stockpile of food. Now, with just in time delivery a grocery store might only have a few days of supplies on hand.

Kludge
01-22-2008, 12:36 AM

Probably a poor place to put "shit"

Menthol Patch
01-22-2008, 12:39 AM
The problem is that most people these days live payday to payday. Most people have little or no savings. A depression would hurt people MUCH worse than it did in 1929.

Menthol Patch
01-22-2008, 12:41 AM

Menthol Patch
01-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Djia Index 11,564.00 -542.00 12,130.00 12,140.00 11,545.00 01:32
S&p 500 1,257.60 -67.70 1,327.50 1,331.60 1,256.00 01:32
Nasdaq 100 1,761.00 -88.50 1,850.75 1,857.75 1,755.25 01:27
S&p/tse 60 713.40 -33.50 719.40 721.60 710.20 01/21
Mex Bolsa 25,523.00 -1,440.00 25,800.00 26,160.00 25,480.00 01/21
Bovespa 53,873.00 -3,507.00 54,200.00 54,800.00 53,500.00 01/21

Menthol Patch
01-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Djia Index 11,547.00 -559.00 12,130.00 12,140.00 11,545.00 01:48
S&p 500 1,256.10 -69.20 1,327.50 1,331.60 1,255.70 01:47
Nasdaq 100 1,762.50 -87.00 1,850.75 1,857.75 1,755.25 01:47

Menthol Patch
01-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Djia Index 11,528.00 -578.00 12,130.00 12,140.00 11,500.00 02:16
S&p 500 1,255.30 -70.00 1,327.50 1,331.60 1,255.30 02:13
Nasdaq 100 1,745.50 -104.00 1,850.75 1,857.75 1,745.50 02:18

Menthol Patch
01-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Djia Index 11,475.00 -631.00 12,130.00 12,140.00 11,464.00 02:31
S&p 500 1,255.30 -70.00 1,327.50 1,331.60 1,255.30 02:31
Nasdaq 100 1,744.50 -105.00 1,850.75 1,857.75 1,744.50 02:25

Menthol Patch
The futures for the Dow is down 631!!!!!

RonPaul_SantaMonica
Djia Index 11,475.00 -631.00 12,130.00 12,140.00 11,464.00 02:31
S&p 500 1,255.30 -70.00 1,327.50 1,331.60 1,255.30 02:31
Nasdaq 100 1,744.50 -105.00 1,850.75 1,857.75 1,744.50 02:25

Where are you getting these numbers?

Menthol Patch
01-22-2008, 01:55 AM