PDA

View Full Version : What we need to do to turn the tide and WIN.

rexsolomon
01-21-2008, 10:23 PM
My heart sank when J. Bradley Jansen a.k.a. 'Bradley in DC' emailed me to help out with creating a summary for the "List constructive criticisms for HQ here' thread.

If we are honest, such as summary would be useless since it is dependent upon action by the official RP staffers - they have their hands full right now, and they are doing the best they can.

Bradley used to work for Dr. Paul.

I went through thread suggestions in detail, repeatedly. The overwhelming majority of comments are essentially the same.

Knowing full well that we do NOT have the luxury of time, this is what we need to do to turn the tide and WIN:

1.) We have to come up with new, more 'aggressive' ads wherein Dr. Paul himself explains today's most pressing issues in a more refined and simplified manner, distinguishing his solutions from the rest as workable, realistic and truthful.

2.) We have to seek television airtime for these new ads without taking funds from the official campaign. It has been suggested many times on the thread that Trevor Lyman come down to assist in fund raising for these ads.

3.) These ads should be directed by someone OTHER than current staffers in the RP campaign. I haven't met Bradley personally, but I believe that he should direct the new ads.

4.) Existing independent RP ad makers (i.e. YouTube) not currently associated with the RP campaign can offer their assistance or services.

5.) Other suggestions - and there are a ton of them, can be done later.

If Bradley's thread of comments is correct, then this is THE most ESSENTIAL grassroots effort that we must perform for Dr. Paul to win the Presidency.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-21-2008, 10:29 PM
No, we need to INSIST that the goddamn HQ hire a top-notch paid media firm (they are all in DC) and stop hiding Ron's major issues - opposition to the war and his crusade to save the economy.

I AM FUCKING SICK AND TIRED OF THESE "GENERIC GOP" ADS TRYING TO COVER UP WHO RON PAUL IS. :mad::mad::mad:

This is killing us! We need to bombard the HQ with demands for new ads that address the war and the economy, and actually SHOW Ron Paul.

yongrel
01-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Question 1: How do we get footage of Doctor Paul saying what we want him to for a commerical without it being tied to the campaign?

Question 2: Who are you?

BeFranklin
01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
The campaign is doing a fine job.

If you think they are not, and Ron Paul can't even run his own campaign, then I suggest you also think he can't run the country - which this attitude surely will result in.

steph3n
01-21-2008, 10:32 PM
supporters need to stop spamming the internet and turning people off that would otherwise be receptive if not spammed. And we need to stop being jackasses and showing up for signwaves at other candidates rallies!

rexsolomon
01-21-2008, 10:33 PM
No, we need to INSIST that the goddamn HQ hire a top-notch paid media firm (they are all in DC) and stop hiding Ron's major issues - opposition to the war and his crusade to save the economy.

I AM FUCKING SICK AND TIRED OF THESE "GENERIC GOP" ADS TRYING TO COVER UP WHO RON PAUL IS. :mad::mad::mad:

This is killing us! We need to bombard the HQ with demands for new ads that address the war and the economy, and actually SHOW Ron Paul.

There is nothing fundamentally different with what you and I are suggesting.

Is it realistic or reasonable for us to expect that the 'HQ' be able to change course at such a short notice?

Most probably not. We have to do what we can do for Dr. Paul. This is doable.

trey4sports
01-21-2008, 10:35 PM

Is it realistic or reasonable for us to expect that the 'HQ' be able to change course at such a short notice?

+1

fund the campaign and then fund the grassroots commercials you like best

rexsolomon
01-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Question 1: How do we get footage of Doctor Paul saying what we want him to for a commerical without it being tied to the campaign?

Question 2: Who are you?

Why should it not be tied to the Ron Paul campaign?

Who am I? "Just" another Ron Paul supporter like yourself.

Enough said.

By the way, what is so wrong about ads wherein Dr. Paul HIMSELF is speaking?

BeFranklin
01-21-2008, 10:37 PM
My heart sank when J. Bradley Jansen a.k.a. 'Bradley in DC' emailed me to help out with creating a summary for the "List constructive criticisms for HQ here' thread.

I'm not voting for Bradly, don't like Bradly that much, and think he is one of several people that has effectively sabatoged Ron's campaign by suggesting that the campaign people aren't good, but "he himself is".

The campaign has objectively done a great job. Faced with opponents getting 15-20 times more media exposure EVERY SINGLE DAY, and various little ploys like keeping him out of a debate, THEY STILL BEAT some of those 'front runner candidats' every single time.

If we didn't have so many candidates being pushed by the media, everyone but Ron Paul, maybe you'd see how good we're doing. Ron Paul is fighting the whole MSM and 5 other candidates, and still doing good.

rexsolomon
01-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm not voting for Bradly, don't like Bradly that much, and think he is one of several people that has effectively sabatoged Ron's campaign by suggesting that the campaign people aren't good, but "he himself is".

The campaign has objectively done a great job. Faced with opponents getting 15-20 times more media exposure EVERY SINGLE DAY, and various little ploys like keeping him out of a debate, THEY STILL BEAT some of those 'front runner candidats' every single time.

If we didn't have so many candidates being pushed by the media, everyone but Ron Paul, maybe you'd see how good we're doing. Ron Paul is fighting the whole MSM and 5 other candidates, and still doing good.

So there may be a personal issue clouding your judgement. If you feel that you would be more capable to direct the suggested ads, you're more than welcome to apply.

I understand what you are saying. I TOTALLY agree with you that the official campaign staff is doing a terrific job. But based on the concluded caucuses and primaries - you are not the least bit concerned?

Its an uphill battle Sir. We all need to row in the same direction. What has been suggested IS complementary to the HQ's efforts.

BeFranklin
01-21-2008, 10:54 PM
So there may be a personal issue clouding your judgement. If you feel that you would be more capable to direct the suggested ads, you're more than welcome to apply.

I'm not saying I could do a better job. I'm saying Bradly can not. He sold a bunch of snake oil to people that the campaign "wasn't doing a good job", and he certainly isn't doing any job.

I see nothing that suggests Bradley has any plan to put a nationwide campaign on the air in 3 weeks. The only thing he has done is sabatage donations to the campaign so they CAN.

I suggest we stick with what works. Further, I'm voting for Ron Paul for President because I think he can run the country as well as his campaign.

driller80545
01-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Your ideas are good and right. How do we get started? There is not enough time to argue little points.

BeFranklin
01-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Your ideas are good and right. How do we get started? There is not enough time to argue little points.

We could start by giving Ron Paul's campaign the money so they can put advertisements on the air.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-21-2008, 11:12 PM

The problem is, that we don't have the millions and millions of dollars to make and run the ads you need in Feb 5 states. Plus you need detailed polling data to know where to concentrate your media buys. The HQ cannot share their internal polling data with us, because of campaign finance laws. It's not possible to raise the money or set up the operation in time. What IS possible is to bombard the HQ with emails saying, "NOT ONE PENNY MORE UNTIL YOU HIRE A NEW AD TEAM AND MAKE ANTIWAR AND ECONOMIC ADS."

We need a petition signed by all of us demanding decent ads. It's our money we gave to them, so we have a say in hows it's spent, or won't be any more.

rexsolomon
01-21-2008, 11:15 PM

Well, Bradley will have to contact Dr. Paul regarding our intent.
Since he used to work for Dr. Paul, that shouldn't be impossible.

If Dr. Paul agrees, then there is nothing to argue about on this forum.

He may be able to give us a few hours to read off a prompter while being video taped.

We can only ask for a few hours because Dr. Paul is visibly tired from all this campaigning.

Everything else, layout, editing, including the funding for the airtime - and getting it on air, is up to us.

rexsolomon
01-21-2008, 11:20 PM
The problem is, that we don't have the millions and millions of dollars to make and run the ads you need in Feb 5 states. Plus you need detailed polling data to know where to concentrate your media buys. The HQ cannot share their internal polling data with us, because of campaign finance laws. It's not possible to raise the money or set up the operation in time. What IS possible is to bombard the HQ with emails saying, "NOT ONE PENNY MORE UNTIL YOU HIRE A NEW AD TEAM AND MAKE ANTIWAR AND ECONOMIC ADS."

We need a petition signed by all of us demanding decent ads. It's our money we gave to them, so we have a say in hows it's spent, or won't be any more.

I don't think threatening the HQ is very effective.

Actually, that is exactly what we will be trying to generate: Decent ads on those topics that you cited, and more.

Please don't bother enumerating the reasons why the task will be very difficult.

The only thing to remember is that WE HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING WE CAN DO TO HELP DR. PAUL WIN.

LukeNM
01-21-2008, 11:33 PM
We should stay focused on the grassroots and let HQ run the campaign and stop trying to control everything! If Ron Paul does not know what the hell he is doing why is he running for President. Have some faith people and stop thinking you know what is best. Come up with good ideas for the grassroots and they will be supported. Leave HQ alone!

Also, whenever you see negative posts fill them with positive replies to discourage the trolls and operatives for other campaigns.

At times I have felt that Bradley in DC was a disgruntled ex-employee or operative still trying to tell HQ how to run their business. Again, leave them alone and just worry about our efforts.

cheese
01-22-2008, 12:28 AM
The media has spun Ron Paul as the liberal candidate, on the fringe of the republican party, when in fact the opposite is true. The republican base will always vote for the most conservative (or sometimes most religious) candidate. This is how GWB won the primary in 2000 - hell it was his damn slogan.

People here may not believe this because this wasnt what drew them to Ron Paul originally, or they didn't come from the republican base, or they have forgotten about the reagan and bush primaries. Being associated with the word 'conservative' trumps all in this party. If you can win this marketing, you've won the nomination.

Out of dumb (or perhaps Divine) luck, our opponents are about as liberal as republicans come (just look at how much they squabble in the debates over who raised taxes the least in their records). Paul will win the conservative label if he goes for it - no one can challenge him on this; his record is flawless.

This isn't about convincing people that stopping the iraq war is the 'right' or 'logical' thing to do. It's convincing them it is the most conservative policy and ideal. And guess what? It is.

This isn't about convincing people the monetary policy and the economy is screwed. It's convincing people that only someone as conservative as Ron Paul can save it. And guess what? He is.

This isn't about convincing people that giving up liberties for security is idiotic. It's about convincing people that strict adherence to the constitution is the most conservative philosophy. And guess what? ...

We (as grassroots and younger activists) may not like the 'conservative' label, but it has extremely positive connotations in the party; and 'liberal' has extremely negative connotations thanks to Luntz-eque strategies. This should be Paul's core national fight now...

Ron Paul has won us over already, we know exactly where he stands and why. Are we willing to synch the remaining republicans needed to win? All I'm asking is to tailor Paul's message to the conservative base and redefine who is who. It's virtually impossible to lose this battle if we push it.

Thanks

jrich4rpaul
01-22-2008, 12:30 AM
We need to explain the Social Security issue better.

Dave Pedersen
01-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Social security.

Ron Paul needs to address older Americans in a two minute television advertisement directly about his plan for social security. He needs to look them in the eye and tell them the truth straight on.

If there is any one thing which must be done nationwide by HQ this is it.

Rhys
01-22-2008, 12:47 AM
It's a good idea, but I think focus and money really needs to go to the campaign.

I considered doing a blimp style project back in early December. The idea was to create a fund capable of running strategic ads as necessary in mass media markets.

Then I looked at how quickly the blimp funding took steam from the campaign and realized it would be a disaster.

Now... 2 weeks before Feb 5. the honest truth is there's absolutely no time to raise enough money, buy space, target a message, and get it out. IF we really had a billionaire tomorrow say, "go spend all my money" it could be done. Short of that, I'm sorry to say we better hope for better ads from the campaign. I don't think that's too much to ask, no. If they market Ron Paul and stop trying to out-flank the Right, we'll do good.