PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Quote/Concept of Dr. Paul

DeadheadForPaul
07-30-2007, 09:46 AM
What new idea/quote has Dr. Paul introduced to you?

My personal favorite was his assertion in one speech that people are wrong to label our pro-liberty message as 'conservative'. I've personally never agreed with using 'liberal', 'conservative', etc. as labels since meaning changes so often. To paraphrase Dr. Pau, he said that Freedom is a new thing. For most of human history,we have lived under tyranny and only i n the 18th century did we realize true freedom. This is not about left or right or liberal or conservative. This is about the NEW idea of liberty :)

When he said this, it made me smile

nullvalu
07-30-2007, 09:52 AM
what really sucked me in was from the debate about getting rid of the IRS:

"you can only do that if you change our ideas about what the role of government ought to be: If you think that government has to take care of us, from cradle to grave, and if you think our government should police the world and spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a foreign policy that we cannot manage, you can't get rid of the IRS; but, if you want to lower taxes and if you want the government to quit printing the money to come up with shortfall and cause all the inflation, you have to change policy."

CodeMonkey
07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I like in the Google video how he frames the concept of income tax. He says that the idea of an income tax supposes that the government owns your income and allows you to keep some percentage of it. This came back to me when watching the latest Democratic debates. They speak of increasing benefits by taking away "tax breaks" from those who "don't need them".

cottonmouth
07-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Being an old RP follower for so long, most of his perspectives are so familiar to me that I can almost always correctly predict his position on an issue. The one that surprised me the most, recently, is his proposal to amend the Constitution to end the automatic citizenship for persons born here.

beermotor
07-30-2007, 10:25 AM
what really sucked me in was from the debate about getting rid of the IRS:

"you can only do that if you change our ideas about what the role of government ought to be: If you think that government has to take care of us, from cradle to grave, and if you think our government should police the world and spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a foreign policy that we cannot manage, you can't get rid of the IRS; but, if you want to lower taxes and if you want the government to quit printing the money to come up with shortfall and cause all the inflation, you have to change policy."

Yeah, this part was solid. He embodies my feeling that it all comes back to economics, always. I wish I had paid more attention in school. Hell, the dang Mises institute was right across the street from campus and I didn't find out about it until I was living in California. :(

beermotor
07-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Being an old RP follower for so long, most of his perspectives are so familiar to me that I can almost always correctly predict his position on an issue. The one that surprised me the most, recently, is his proposal to amend the Constitution to end the automatic citizenship for persons born here.

That is indeed a break from a strict "libertarian" philosophy, but I think it is a sensible policy decision to take. I mean, if you're wanting to have secured borders, that's a great way to discourage illegal shenanigans.

After all, why should you automatically get it anyway? Shouldn't you have to apply like everyone else?

freelance
07-30-2007, 10:34 AM
It was something about gold a long time ago.

Mom4Ron
07-30-2007, 10:45 AM
My favorite Ron Paul quote came in an email response from him:

I always appreciate hearing from those to whom power is vested by our
Constitution, "the People of the United States."

maiki
07-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Two things: we don't have a free market healthcare in the US. We have a corporation run healthcare based on employment: not really a free market at all. There are alternatives between corporation-monopolized healthcare and socialized medicine.

Second thing: I was always put off by fixed rate taxes or decreasing taxes because it always seemed to hinder the poor and benefit the rich. But having *no* taxes truly benefits everyone, in my opinion. This is why I like Ron Paul's policy over the "fairtax" goons. If you look at their charts, it shows how fairtax really hurts those earning less than 25,000$, but helps everyone else. Ummm no thanks. Also, the key to tax xuts is cutting spending. Doing one without the other is madness and leads only to debt. I like a candidate that preaches both like RP.

Gee
07-30-2007, 11:51 AM
I never cared about economics prior to his candidacy. In the last few months I've read up on Neoclassical, Monetarist and Austrian economics. And now I'm reading Human Action.

MsDoodahs
07-30-2007, 11:51 AM
What new idea/quote has Dr. Paul introduced to you?

Favorite quote:

Freedom is popular!

:)

MsDoodahs
07-30-2007, 11:55 AM
I never cared about economics prior to his candidacy. In the last few months I've read up on Neoclassical, Monetarist and Austrian economics. And now I'm reading Human Action.

(Economics for Real People by Gene Callahan :) )

DeadheadForPaul
07-30-2007, 11:57 AM
"Welcome to the Revolution"

I like to think he means a continuation of the original American Revolution :)

DeadheadForPaul
07-30-2007, 11:58 AM

I like Hayek's Road to Serfdom

bygone
07-30-2007, 12:14 PM
The conventional wisdom is - Well, we have to have a President to run things. How you gonna run things? You know, what I'd like to be is a President that doesn't even have a goal of running your life, running the economy, or running the world.

- Ron Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K5A6FQbmm8

sylvania
07-30-2007, 12:31 PM
I like the economics. I was an econ major. I like that he has been married for 50 years. I'm not christian, but I just like the committment that represents and I love the Reagan/Congressional Gold Medal story.

MsDoodahs
07-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I like Hayek's Road to Serfdom

yongrel
07-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm a big fan of his answer to the YouTube "Good or Awesome" question.