PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a presentation for my meetup next week

mmink15
01-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Since I participated in the last stages of GOTV in NH, I'm going to be giving a short presentation to my meetup group next Monday(Jan 28).

What I need from all of you is advice on what to say. I plan on showing the canvassing packet I still have from the last stages of GOTV to the members, so they know what we are working towards from the campaign's perspective. (Before someone says it, I know I was supposed to hand this back into the campaign HQ after completion. I simply didn't realize I still had it in my jeep until I got back to PA and I've blacked out all the addresses to maintain people's privacy)

Also, since our meetup is almost 150 strong, I would like to find an easy and effective way to split up walking lists and turn canvassing into a local meetup event.

My biggest concerns are materials(I simply don't have enough), canvassing methods(best way to utilize a dozen or so willing but very green volunteers), and organization(best use of time)

Thanks for all replies in advance

Mike Mink

mohnd
01-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Get them to focus and don't let them get overwhelmed. Below is what I used to present to my meetup. I have my County voter database, so I was able to give each precinct leader a goal and breakdown of their precinct;

--------------
Canvassing Plan

Throughout the process, it is important to note and record in the database Paul supporters and Undecided Voters. This will allow focus where it is needed.

Targeted Voters Analysis
My precinct has;

BELOW IS AN EXAMPLE, I CAN PROVIDE YOUR PRECINT DETAILS;

1920 Registered Voters
704 Registered Republicans
99 Voted in last 2 General and 2 Primary
151 Voted in last 4 General
238 Voted last 2 Primary, or 2004 Primary, or changed status since last Primary

227 Have not voted in last 2 General and 2 Primary

I’ve decided I will not be able to physically do the precinct captain stuff for all 704 registered voters. So it seems reasonable to focus on the 238 who are likely to turn out for the Presidential primary. If I have additional time at the end, or am able to recruit additional volunteers, I will go back and do more voters.

NOTE: I have the most recent entire Bucks County database, so I can do this analysis for each of your precincts if you desire. Then based on the time you can commit, you can get the most efficient list to work from.

Step .5 – Try and get some volunteers
Identify Libertarian and Constitution Party voters.
Do a personal visit and attempt to recruit as volunteers.
Take a registration form, at least they need to register Republican if possible..

Step 1 - Literature Drop to the Targeted Voters
Pick a Slim Jim / or some other Ron Paul flyer.
Put a label with your contact information asking for volunteers.
Get your list of Targeted Voters

Walk or Mail. It would cost me $100 to do a mailing, but it could take several days to do a literature drop. I am undecided. Whatever works best in your situation.

Step 2 – Identify your Voters, First Pass
Call and/or Visit your Targeted Voter list.

You will want to find out and record (we can get a canvas script when we get to this point);
Ron Paul Supporter
Non-Supporter
Undecided
Record what issues are important to this voter.

Step 3 - Literature Drop to Undecided.
Pick a Slim Jim(s) / or some other Ron Paul flyer(s), maybe based on Important Issues for each voter identified in Step 2.

Put a label with your contact information

Get your list of Targeted Voters – Undecided.

Walk, Walk, Walk, Talk, Talk, Talk

Step 4 - – Identify your Voters, Round 2
Call and/or Visit your undecided list.

You will want to find out and record;
Ron Paul Supporter
Non-Supporter
Still Undecided

Step 5 – Ready for the Election
Drop off a Delegate Listing Printout to all Supporters. Remember Delegates are important as well as voter for Ron Paul.

Stand at polling places – giving our Delegate Listing/Ron Paul handout.

Poll Watcher tracking who votes. Call to supporters who have not yet voted throughout the day. Or if not enough resources, call all Supporters in the day(s) before the election with a reminder.

Calendar

It’s always good to have a plan and a measuring stick to make sure you are making progress. As time goes on, you can re-evaluate your progress and make any necessary adjustments to your strategy.

January 22nd to February 11th Step 1 - Literature Drop to the Targeted Voters
February 12th to March 4th Step 2 – Identify your Voters, First Pass
March 5th to March 19th Step 3 - Literature Drop to Undecided
March 19th to April 15th Step 4 – Identify your Voters, Round 2
April 15th to April 22nd Step 5 – Ready for the Election

mmink15
01-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks that is the kind of stuff I'm looking for