PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications for MSNBC Debate? Thompson, Giuliani out???

CareerTech1
01-21-2008, 05:32 PM
We saw what happened with the prior Fox debate where Dr. Paul was excluded. Has anyone heard of any rules / restrictions on who can participate in the debates? It would sure be a heck of a lot better if Thompson or Giuliani were out of the way.

kirkblitz
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
i saw some posted butt i cant find the qualifications

AlexMerced
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I think you had to place top 4 in one of the early contest, so everyone qualifies

kirkblitz
01-21-2008, 05:37 PM
this is cnn qualifactions, i dont know if msnbc has any

"To receive an invitation for the Politico/CNN/Los Angeles Times debates in California, a candidate must satisfy both of the following criteria:

The candidate must have finished in at least fourth place in a 2008 primary or caucus.

This will be measured by the percentage of votes received in primaries or the percentage of delegates awarded in caucuses.

Contests considered for the Republican debate will be the Iowa and Nevada caucuses, the Wyoming county conventions, and the New Hampshire, Michigan, South Carolina and Florida primaries.

The candidate must also have received at least 5 percent in the Politico/CNN/Los Angeles Times poll.

Alternatively, the candidate can be considered for participation if he or she received at least 5 percent in one or more of 11 major national polls taken between Jan. 1 and Jan. 23, 2008."

So RP needs to finish in 4th in Nevada or one of the other remaining states to guarantee a spot in the debate since he already has above the 5% minimum LA Times poll standard. I believe RP is at 5% in at least 2 nat'l polls so that gives the Politico some room to invite him even if he doesn't finish 4th in the upcoming primaries.

Benaiah
01-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't know, but I hope somebody YouTubed tucker n' crew talking about Paul just now.

GHoeberX
01-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I think you had to place top 4 in one of the early contest, so everyone qualifies

I think that was CNN.

MSNBC were the guys who changed their own rules to make sure Kucinich couldn't join. :o

CareerTech1
01-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I think that was CNN.

MSNBC were the guys who changed their own rules to make sure Kucinich couldn't join. :o

exactly -

no thompson and giuliani = more time for Ron Paul!

Here's my prediction - Thompson and Giuliani drop out after Florida because they will be broke anyway...

Huckaboom comes in 4th in Florida and realizes that if he can't win in the south he better drop out -

Then we are left with RonPaul, Romney, and McCain going into Super dooper Tuesday

Paulestinian
01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
http://beforeyouvote.org/index.php?p=candidates

stevedasbach
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
I just heard that Thompson withdrew from the next debate (CNN, MSNBC or Fox -- not sure which). They were speculating this is a prelude to withdrawing.

logan4ronpaul
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
http://beforeyouvote.org/index.php?p=candidates

Is the Mason dixon poll going to hurt us?

jacmicwag
01-21-2008, 06:08 PM
How about the next Fox debate? I wonder if we hit the 10% mark they set.

V4Vendetta
01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
I think that was CNN.

Umm....... Rudy has never placed in the top 4

randomname
01-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Umm....... Rudy has never placed in the top 4

nh?

kirkblitz
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Statement of Purpose and Criteria for Participation

Leadership Florida Statewide Community Foundation, Inc., Florida Public Broadcasting Service, Inc., and Florida Press Association (the “Partners”) are producing televised debates among the 2008 Democratic candidates for President of the United States and among the 2008 Republican candidates for President of the United States.

The Partners are private corporate entities and are not state actors. The debates are financed by private funding provided by the Partners and debate sponsors, and no public money was used to produce the debates.

Leadership Florida Statewide Community Foundation, Inc. is a private, non-profit, nonpartisan, Florida membership organization created for the purpose of educating Florida’s leaders about the issues critical to the state.

Florida Public Broadcasting Service, Inc. is a private, non-profit, nonpartisan association of public television stations in Florida.

Florida Press Association is a private, non-profit, nonpartisan membership organization comprised of Florida daily and weekly newspapers.

The goal of the debates is to offer the citizens of Florida an opportunity, in a broad-ranging debate format, to learn about, compare, and carefully consider those candidates from whom the Democratic and Republican Parties will select their 2008 presidential nominees. In order to achieve this goal, the Partners adopt these Candidate Selection Rules (the “Rules”) for identifying those candidates for president who will be invited to participate in the televised debates. It is the intent of the Partners that the Rules comply with all applicable legal requirements and that invitations to participate in the debate be extended to qualifying candidates based upon the application of pre-established, objective criteria as expressed in the Rules.

Candidate Selection Rules

1. To qualify to be invited to participate in a debate, the candidate must satisfy all of the following criteria:

A. The candidate must satisfy all of the eligibility requirements of Article II, Section 1 of the United States Constitution. The requirements are satisfied if the candidate:

i. is at least 35 years of age;

ii. is a natural born citizen of the United States and a resident of the United States for fourteen years; and

iii. is otherwise eligible under the Constitution.

B. The candidate must be legally qualified for and registered to participate as a candidate in the 2008 presidential election.

C. The candidate must appear as a candidate for president on his or her party’s Florida presidential primary ballot.

D. The candidate must have at least 10% support (including the full benefit of the standard margin of error) among all likely voters who will participate in that candidate’s primary as determined by a poll conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research. By way of example, if a poll shows a candidate receiving 8% support among all registered voters, and if the poll’s standard margin of error is 3%, the candidate’s support, including the full benefit of the standard margin of error, is 11%. If such a candidate meets the other criteria set forth in these Rules, that candidate would qualify to be invited to participate in the debate.

E. The candidate must agree to abide by all rules concerning the conduct of the debate.

2. The deadline to meet the requirements of these Rules is December 31, 2007. In addition to all of the other criteria that must be satisfied, the candidate must receive at least 10% support in the final Mason-Dixon poll conducted on or before January 15, 2008.

3. The Partners will not accept any other polling results, specifically including but not limited to any polling results paid for or otherwise obtained, directly or indirectly, by a candidate, a candidate’s campaign, or any supporter of the candidate.

4. The Partners or their designate may cancel, postpone, or reschedule this debate in their sole discretion. The Partners are not responsible or otherwise liable for any cost or expense of any candidate in the event the Partners cancel, postpone, or reschedule this debate.

5. ALL DECISIONS CONCERNING THIS DEBATE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS, CANDIDATE INVITATIONS, AND THE INTERPRETATION AND APPLICATION OF THESE RULES, ARE WITHIN THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE PARTNERS OR THEIR DESIGNATE AND SHALL BE FINAL.

rooteroa
01-21-2008, 06:17 PM
so we won't be in the florida debate?

kirkblitz
01-21-2008, 06:20 PM
im positive we are in both debates

InLoveWithRon
01-21-2008, 06:21 PM
I just heard that Thompson withdrew from the next debate.

Excellent ! That means more talk time for the good doctor !!!

logan4ronpaul
01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
im positive we are in both debates

How are we getting around the 10% mason dixon threshold?

kirkblitz
01-21-2008, 06:44 PM

its listed on ronpaul2008.com site so we have to be in. We probably are using the margin of error to bump us up.

logan4ronpaul
01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
its listed on ronpaul2008.com site so we have to be in. We probably are using the margin of error to bump us up.

I dont know man. Just because we have it listed on our site doesnt mean it will happen.

Has anyone seen a recent national mason dixon poll? I couldnt seem to find one

Goldwater Conservative
01-21-2008, 07:04 PM

We scared them. :D

Naraku
01-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Statement of Purpose and Criteria for Participation

. . .

There is absolutely no way we qualify going by Mason-Dixon polls and include margin of error no less. Why do I feel this is intended solely to exclude Paul? The last Mason-Dixon poll in Florida, none nationwide that I see, was in November and Paul had 1%, everyone else qualifies. They still qualify but if they allowed other polls it would either be him excluded by half a percentage point or he wouldn't be excluded at all.

Everyone else easily fits those qualifications. If Paul's been invited anyway this shocks me, but is quite welcome if true.

Lyn
01-21-2008, 07:14 PM
The criteria set for the Jan. 24 MSNBC in Boca Raton was that the candidate had to meet the threshhold of 10% on the Mason Dixon poll done on Jan. 15, 2008. This criteria was set months ago and I don't think they were anticipating the way things have gone with no clear frontrunner. If they went purely by their original criteria I believe they would only have three candidates debating in a Fl. debate just 5 days before that states primary. With so many candidates still being viable, and the fact that I think they want Thompson and Guiliani in the debate, I think they are not really pushing it like FAUX did. They are able to use the 3% margin of error thing and everyone gets in. As long as he is in that's fine with me. Sometimes its better to not ask questions you don't want an answer to.

Jeremy
01-21-2008, 07:16 PM

Not Alan Keyes :o

chadhb
01-21-2008, 07:22 PM
How would someone go about , getting into the debates to watch?

Xonox
01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
There's a rumor going around that Thompson is going to officialy drop out tomorrow... if that's true he certainly wont be there.

Jay778x
01-21-2008, 07:33 PM
i dont think there was a mason dixon poll done on the dates specified for the florida debate.

prlgrl
01-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Would they use this poll?

http://media.mcclatchydc.com/smedia/2008/01/17/15/596-x20080117_1_col_SC_POLL.small.prod_affiliate.91.jp g

if so Paul meets qualifications: 6% + 5% margin

(It says it's a mason dixon poll in the fine print)

MooCowzRock
01-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Not Alan Keyes :o

lol, is he actually still running? C'mon now...I mean, we've got a chance considering our constant steady, yet slow rise, but Alan Keyes has made ABSOLUTELY no progress...he needs to give it up already....

muh_roads
01-21-2008, 07:51 PM
When is this next MSNBC debate?

hasan
01-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Would they use this poll?

http://media.mcclatchydc.com/smedia/2008/01/17/15/596-x20080117_1_col_SC_POLL.small.prod_affiliate.91.jp g

if so Paul meets qualifications: 6% + 5% margin

(It says it's a mason dixon poll in the fine print)

i think that was conducted for south carolina. i think only the florida poll counts

itshappening
01-21-2008, 08:19 PM
the mason dixon poll for Florida isnt released yet as far as I can tell, you need to be 3% within the margin of error. does RP know if he's got an invite yet? i wonder, the last time the website said To Be Confirmed

prlgrl
01-21-2008, 08:25 PM
i think that was conducted for south carolina. i think only the florida poll counts

Oh, my bad

haaaylee
01-21-2008, 08:26 PM
nh?

i believe NH was thompson in front of paul, and rudy behind him.

Lord Xar
01-21-2008, 08:44 PM
I just heard that Thompson withdrew from the next debate (CNN, MSNBC or Fox -- not sure which). They were speculating this is a prelude to withdrawing.

wow. that would be great.. more time for Ron.

itshappening
01-21-2008, 08:49 PM
yay!!!

bye bye Thompson!

Lyn
01-21-2008, 08:50 PM
The debate is in Boca Raton Fl on Jan. 24, 2008. It is an MSNBC debate.

PatriotOne
01-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Has anyone heard of any rules / restrictions on who can participate in the debates?

I'm guessing MSNBC's qualifications are everyone who's last name begins with an A thru O or a Q thru Z and running for President will qualify for the debate.