PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a forum nazi, but wtf? I have a secret that will change what you think about

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-21-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm not a forum nazi, but wtf? I have a secret that will change what you think about

these forums.

How does a "What is your college degree?" post get 103 responses and 1,279 views?
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=96600

And how does a "What is your line of work?" post get 72 responses and 703 views?
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=96642

While "Please help me with letter writing... Needed fast, thanks!" gets 1 response (me responding to me) and 12 views?

Do we need some new forums for grassroots chat? Or grassroots hangout? Grassroots stuff not related to grassroots campaigning??

I need to send over 500 letters by Wednesday. That shouldn't be getting bumped off of the pages so fast. Sure, it's not as interesting as what everyone's background and employment is, but exactly what is this forum for?

Now, feel free to debate the point I'm making here, but if you're inclined, I'd rather that you visit the "Please help me with letter writing... Needed fast, thanks!" post and help me out a little. It's on page 3 right now, so I'll give you a link. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=96646

I'm planning to release my letter for public use on here, so it's not just about me. If we want to get this precinct captain thing going, we need to give people templates, mail merge instructions, and whatever else we can. We have less than 3 weeks to figure out where we're going.

If you came here to talk about the degree you hold or to talk about your line of work, I included links above. Now, please tell me where can I go to get some help with some grassroots stuff??

PimpBlimp
01-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Agreed. We need a general chat area.

InLoveWithRon
01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
I agree, the off topic threads are ridiculous..

People need to make much better use of their time here.. Something much more beneficial to the campaign than stupid threads about personal backgrounds.. We can learn about all that sort of stuff after we make sure Ron is in the whitehouse

MODS-- please put all these irrelevant threads on hot topics please

Kludge
01-21-2008, 04:33 PM
It should probably be tossed in the General Politics & Other forum

MrsW
01-21-2008, 04:33 PM
agreed. grassroots "hangout" would be great. it's hard to sift through.... thanks! :)

caradeporra
01-21-2008, 04:34 PM
+1

How about a "totally off topic" forum....

Now what can i do to help

m72mc
01-21-2008, 04:34 PM
amen.

Richandler
01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
If it had a poll more people would be inclinded to participate.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
01-21-2008, 04:37 PM
The original poster has some logical points.

mavtek
01-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Where are we writing letters to? Is there still time for Florida?

JustBcuz
01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
How does a "What is your college degree?" post get 103 responses and 1,279 views?

And how does a "What is your line of work?" post get 72 responses and 703 views?

A bit of an aside:

I don't know who started these threads; I haven't opened either of them.

But don't those thread titles strike you guys as possible Data Mining?

tarabyte
01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Yes, I would really like some feedback on my thread. The grassroots email newsletter would make a lot more difference to the campaign than chit-chatting about professions.

Quick
01-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Considering no one posts anything in the correct forums, while I can feel your frustration, it's been this way for months.

rpfan2008
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
It should probably be tossed in the General Politics & Other forum

or hot topics

LandonCook
01-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Bump +1

Fields
01-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Agreed. We need a general chat area.

+1

Someone mentioned it last night that we aren't robots and would like to talk like human beings occasionally do.

phree
01-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Please mods, we need a separate forum for anything that isn't about grassroots support and how it's helping the campaign.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-21-2008, 05:04 PM

Personally, yes, but I'm more inclined to talk about that after I get my personal letters out to neighbors. Not that the thread posters have any intent, but it could be used that way. It's not very valuable information since it's self selected, and extremely narrow.

Yes, I would really like some feedback on my thread. The grassroots email newsletter would make a lot more difference to the campaign than chit-chatting about professions.

Thanks, but there's no grassroots email newsletter. I'm trying to write a personal letters to neighbors. Said letter will contain many facts about Ron Paul that can be used in other personal letters.

Where are we writing letters to? Is there still time for Florida?

Yes, there's still time. "We" aren't writing letters anywhere. I'm writing letters, and only asking for a short critique, or new ideas, etc. It's a little aggrating that this sub-forum has no response to that, compared to billionaire saviors and other super-secret crap. The people inclined to help me get out 500 personally addressed letters to neighbors have no chance at seeing it in this forum.

Not only that, but we need to be working on letter templates and letter ideas so we can convince others among us to become precinct captains, and at least mail out letters while there's still time to do so. Instead, posts about billionaires and such rule this entire forum. Ya know, I waited over an hour for a single response. I know I can't expect everyone to offer something, but I just saw a thread full of college graduates raising their hands.

Edu
01-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Several problems, a lot of people want to avoid doing any sort of work.

You could do a search for info, find something via google, or simply go look at Ron Paul "slim jim" handouts for some official text.

If your tread starts with "billionaire" you will get more attention. :)

UtahApocalypse
01-21-2008, 05:18 PM
The sad thing is not only is it making the forum hard to navigate and use, it's also why we will lose. Too many people wasting time on useless posts online.

RobS
01-21-2008, 05:22 PM
bump, Grassroots Central need to be broken up.

There is useful info posted in here, about action that can be taken, but it always get bumped down for TV appearances, general chit chat, etc.

Either more subforums need to be created, or the mods need to really enforce where people can post what.

Rhys
01-21-2008, 05:31 PM
The sad thing is not only is it making the forum hard to navigate and use, it's also why we will lose. Too many people wasting time on useless posts online.

lol if we lose it isn't because our 12,000 member message board is hard to navigate.

It will be because we think this message board achieves a damned thing.

I think this whole message board is only good for finding gossip and feeding my Ron Paul addiction. Getting real work done requires your walking list, voters.ronpaul2008.com, and some elbow grease.

constitutional
01-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm not a forum nazi, but wtf? I have a secret that will change what you think about

these forums.

While "Please help me with letter writing... Needed fast, thanks!" gets 1 response (me responding to me) and 12 views?

Do we need some new forums for grassroots chat? Or grassroots hangout? Grassroots stuff not related to grassroots campaigning??

I need to send over 500 letters by Wednesday. That shouldn't be getting bumped off of the pages so fast. Sure, it's not as interesting as what everyone's background and employment is, but exactly what is this forum for?

Now, feel free to debate the point I'm making here, but if you're inclined, I'd rather that you visit the "Please help me with letter writing... Needed fast, thanks!" post and help me out a little. It's on page 3 right now, so I'll give you a link. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=96646

I'm planning to release my letter for public use on here, so it's not just about me. If we want to get this precinct captain thing going, we need to give people templates, mail merge instructions, and whatever else we can. We have less than 3 weeks to figure out where we're going.

If you came here to talk about the degree you hold or to talk about your line of work, I included links above. Now, please tell me where can I go to get some help with some grassroots stuff??

True that. I always give the lowest rating to threads like those.

RonPaulVolunteer
01-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Well, thread creation should be restricted to those with 500 posts to begin with. If someone under 500 posts has a worthy thread, they can ask someone else to post it.

EvilNight
01-21-2008, 05:39 PM
The original poster is right.

Grassroots central was the most busy forum, so that's where everything gets posted.

Most of these things should NOT be here, they should be in the General Politics & Other forum.

Perhaps a mod can do some cleanup and stick an announcement that all NON-ACTIVISM chit chat should relocate there?

manny
01-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Most popular boards have an "off-topic" section and this must be one of the most visited political forums on the net so we probably need some place to chat and tell jokes, post funny pics or whatever keeps people sane.

crazyfacedjenkins
01-21-2008, 05:56 PM

these forums.

Most of the fluff topics come from the people here who are too young to vote.

John P Slevin
01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Well, thread creation should be restricted to those with 500 posts to begin with. If someone under 500 posts has a worthy thread, they can ask someone else to post it.

This post by RonPaulVolunteer is typical of the inanity of this forum.

Since almost all of what is posted on RonPaulForums is of absolutely no benefit to and bears no resemblance to actual campaigning, this post by RonPaulVolunteer is typical of what one can expect to get on RonPaulForums.

Completely unresponsive to someone asking for help.

Completely without any benefit to actual campaign work.

Utterly self-absorbed. Devoid of substance.

In sum, exactly like at least 95% of the pure drivel which makes up RonPaulForums.

TSOL
01-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Agreed

But just a normal forum evolution; users getting to know each other.

Chill NAZI boy.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Most of the fluff topics come from the people here who are too young to vote.

They aren't too young to help craft letters, make videos, build websites, etc.
If people are too young to vote, but old enough to contribute, I welcome them. Otherwise, there's plenty of room in "General Politics & Other" to talk about whatever.

And I don't mean to slam on anyone posting on the topics I listed. You enter a forum, you read a post, you reply. It's normal behavior. But, it seems like we need a a forum for getting things done, that should be read by other people who want to get things done. If this forum isn't it anymore, then let's open a new one. If this forum is it, then let's stop the idea that everyone (myself included) should look in here for gossip or chat or whatever.

an.old.analyst
01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
A bit of an aside:

I don't know who started these threads; I haven't opened either of them.

I made that exact point at the post: "What is your line of work? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1031594&postcount=96)" and didn't receive a favorable response. But I agree with you, this precisely what is going on here.

Cleaner44
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
My 2 cents, let's focus on getting Ron Paul elected and forget the other stuff.

hillertexas
01-21-2008, 06:20 PM
A bit of an aside:

+100000

rbmcdonald
01-21-2008, 07:07 PM
+1

How about a "totally off topic" forum....

Now what can i do to help

How about a "I like to hang out and chat with Internet Rebels and dis the establishment, but there is no way I am actually going out door to door and talking to people in my own precinct" forum. Or is the name too long?

CaliforniaGold
01-21-2008, 07:08 PM
We need a section that is ONLY for true activism

Trigonx
01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
How about a "I like to hang out and chat with Internet Rebels and dis the establishment, but there is no way I am actually going out door to door and talking to people in my own precinct" forum. Or is the name too long?

i think that about covers it

Corydoras
01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Now, please tell me where can I go to get some help with some grassroots stuff??

HERE.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=220

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-21-2008, 10:01 PM
HERE.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=220

Touche. Can we make those forums and sub-forums more prominent? I've never noticed that until today, and I feel like I've been here forever.

newmedia4ron
01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
wow I'm bumping this often.
When I post threads about voter registration deadlines nobody reads them!

Corydoras
01-21-2008, 10:20 PM
People need to go to the very front page and really look at what the forums include.
Or at least, go here and look at the projects:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

I'm not wild about this way of organizing things, either, but the forum has gotten so big and active I don't see another way around it.

Bryan
01-21-2008, 11:09 PM
This topic is very important to me... A brief history lesson on this. First there was a Grassroots Central and a General Politics plus some of the other specialty sub-forums. We use to move more of the chatty Ron Paul threads into the General Politics. After the Tea Party the Grassroots Central became way too busy, so it was broken in half with a Grassroots Campaigning formed to be used for useful activism. Some errors were made and the split never really took off as most still wanted to try their luck in Grassroots Central (where their important threads got buried to page 10 in a few hours).

With the primaries upon us now it seemed to make the most sense to focus on winning states, which is why the state forums have been brought up as needed- but Grassroots Central still gets a lot of traffic.

So I'm open to suggestion of courses of action but what sounds good right now is this- the Grassroots Campaigning section needs to be moved up to under Grassroots Central and its usage should be encouraged for useful things. Again- I'm open to ideas.

There also always the question of posting material / news on other candidates, this currently belongs in General Politics but that isn't too popular it seems.

The forum is what everyone makes of it. It's easy to come and chat but there are places to self-organize for projects and ways to learn better skills at real boots on the ground campaigning. The choice is yours. :)

torchbearer
01-21-2008, 11:12 PM
everyone should police themselves, there may be people in here guilty of at least once putting something in grassroots that didn't belong here just because you knew more people would see it.

newmedia4ron
01-22-2008, 07:20 AM
bump

newmedia4ron
01-22-2008, 12:37 PM
bump

doing it again

newmedia4ron
01-22-2008, 12:41 PM
relevant today

newmedia4ron
01-25-2008, 06:12 AM
*cough*

romeshomey
01-25-2008, 06:25 AM
How about the Campaign Materials forum which has been here for months. Not much activity in that one......

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

BarryDonegan
01-25-2008, 06:33 AM

these forums.

the secret is that this time around you were more successful with creating a title that personalizes the subject and creates a need for reply. the replies bump the topic, which keeps it viewable.

the other topics you demonstrated gave the people a chance to express themselves,which is the purpose of a forum response in the first place... and your new one does to, and, though i am responding to your non sequiter, by debating it, i am bumping your topic so it can be seen again ;)

forum strategy is similar in some ways to political strategy, people with higher post counts are considered more credible, your past statements can come back to haunt you, and if you have an agenda to rally discussion around a subject, you have to personalize it to the audience, as they are all prone to enter only into willing contracts that benefit themselves(a fundamental we who are into Austrian Economics should all understand)

Paul Revered
01-25-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm new to this forum.; and I'm relatively new to Ron Paul. I found out about him about 2 months ago. I have been waiting for this guy. I have been spreading the word about Ron Paul, at MySpace. As I recently discovered this forum; it has become an invaluable source for gathering information, and material. The more pertinent, we can keep the subject matter; the less I have to filter through, to get the information that I need. This is my humble request.

BarryDonegan
01-25-2008, 07:10 AM
the more you discourage a party scene on the forums, however, the less people come to it.

people go to forums for the community, not for information, generally, the information comes fast through the forums because the people are like minded, but its as much about typing your feelings as it is reading the thoughts of others.

it wouldn't make sense for us as a community to have a restrictive and Executive Order Emergency Powers style enforcement of stricter rules on the forums just because the time is of the essence. clearly the power of the grass roots as is is doing great, better than any before it, and we're getting more energy out of this forum site than the other guys are theirs.

i myself tend to, on days of primaries, go through and bump all the positive topics, just to try and keep the troll baiting under control. ill also throw up a topic to ignore the trolls and to not feed the negative nancy threads. its a productive forum strategy to the same end.

don't bump the more chatty topics, and be sure to make some kind of comment to keep the more constructive ones at the top.

newmedia4ron
01-25-2008, 07:18 AM
the more you discourage a party scene on the forums, however, the less people come to it.

people go to forums for the community, not for information, generally, the information comes fast through the forums because the people are like minded, but its as much about typing your feelings as it is reading the thoughts of others.

it wouldn't make sense for us as a community to have a restrictive and Executive Order Emergency Powers style enforcement of stricter rules on the forums just because the time is of the essence. clearly the power of the grass roots as is is doing great, better than any before it, and we're getting more energy out of this forum site than the other guys are theirs.

i myself tend to, on days of primaries, go through and bump all the positive topics, just to try and keep the troll baiting under control. ill also throw up a topic to ignore the trolls and to not feed the negative nancy threads. its a productive forum strategy to the same end.

don't bump the more chatty topics, and be sure to make some kind of comment to keep the more constructive ones at the top.

I'm not here for entertainment. You can always go to the General Politics Forum to talk about stuff that has nothing to do with helping Ron Paul win.

dshields
01-25-2008, 07:23 AM
+1776 to the OP... Starting to look like mainstream America in here.

BarryDonegan
01-25-2008, 08:29 AM
+1776 to the OP... Starting to look like mainstream America in here.

isn't that the point ;)