PDA

View Full Version : My canvassing experience and advice going forward...

MarcMadness
01-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Ok I am in Los Angeles and first off, I would say 90% of my list were Democrats, 10% Republicans, 10% other. I really found it to be a positive experience as many people were at least willing to talk and take a flier. Of course I had my few grumpy people, I wished them a nice day and proceeded along my merry way. I did find a few women who hadnt registered to vote and for some reason I decided that talking about how he is the only one who will end the war would be a good strategy, and it was! As soon as I told them that they got interested, and I asked them to please consider registering Republican to vote for him in the primary. I do wish I started this and got involved as a leader sooner, but regret won't get me anywhere.

It's interesting because the few Republicans I did find didnt really seem to think much of Ron, but I informed them about his positions more and got them some flyers, so hopefully I made some headway there. It seemed like I got the most favorable responses from Democrats interestingly enough, of course they all said they would never even think of switching registration to vote for him. Most were Obama supporters. I did make some headway with some of them and gave them the usual spiel about Paul having the record, not taking special interests money, consistenly voting against the war from the beginning, and how Obama talks the talk but has voted to fund it continually.

I also got a LOT of those very dems saying that if he ended up running Independent and Hillary was the nominee, that they would vote for him. A lot of dems HATE Hillary. It makes me think we could get a lot of support if he did run 3rd party, but that's neither here nor there right now. Just an observation.

The main problem I have is that the deadline to register is today, and I have to work all day. So really after this the only people on my list that matter are the Republicans. Which doesnt leave me with all that many people. Canvassing the rest of them should be pretty easy since I know specifically who I can target.

The question is, what should my approach be from here on? I thought about sending them letters, since I have all their addresses and already have a form letter done up. I could include a Reagan Republican and my personal contact info, and of course the link to the website and the 877 RON PAUL number. If I send them out in the next day or two by this weekend when I have time to canvass again hopefully they will have down some research on their own.

Any thoughts?

In summary it was an overall positive experience in terms of talking to people, but in terms of actual support (i.e. votes) it's really hard to say if I was at all effective.

But I'm not giving up! Just need to think of a new strategy now that all the non Republicans are essentially irrelevant.

I'd apprecaite any forum feedback. Thanks.

Bossobass
01-22-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm curious as to why your list has Democrats?

Can you switch your registration this late? My info is that Ca is not a crossover state, but only registered Repubs can vote for a Repub. Is my info no good?

Oops, didn't read all of your post. Sorry, my mistake. Too tired. I'll revisit your post tomorrow, my friend, and great work.

Bosso

RonPaulFTW08
01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
The question is, what should my approach be from here on? I thought about sending them letters, since I have all their addresses and already have a form letter done up. I could include a Reagan Republican and my personal contact info, and of course the link to the website and the 877 RON PAUL number. If I send them out in the next day or two by this weekend when I have time to canvass again hopefully they will have down some research on their own.

Any thoughts?

In summary it was an overall positive experience in terms of talking to people, but in terms of actual support (i.e. votes) it's really hard to say if I was at all effective.

But I'm not giving up! Just need to think of a new strategy now that all the non Republicans are essentially irrelevant.

I'd apprecaite any forum feedback. Thanks.

Maybe you can print this out and include them in your mailings: http://knowbeforeyouvote.com/ or at least include the link in your form letter. You are including the slim jims right?

I went canvassing slim jims for the first time down here in Irvine and it's more like 85% Republicans here..

Only saw maybe a handful of people and they were pretty nice. Talked to a few - one said that he's been hearing a lot of good things about RP from of all places the LA Times, but he doesnt think RP has a chance of winning. He may vote for McCaca.. But in the end he seemed pretty pleased that I came by and thanked me. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I changed his mind. One guy said "thank you" for the slim jim but I heard him tear it up as soon as I turned my back to walk away.

Anyways everyone should try their hardest to get out there and walk the precincts. It's fun and easy and it really does work. And join your meetup groups and start attending as many events as you can.

RonPaulFTW08
01-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm curious as to why your list has Democrats?

Can you switch your registration this late? My info is that Ca is not a crossover state, but only registered Repubs can vote for a Repub. Is my info no good?

Oops, didn't read all of your post. Sorry, my mistake. Too tired. I'll revisit your post tomorrow, my friend, and great work.

Bosso

Only Repubs can vote for Repubs.

Deadline to register or change party affiliation is today. I just went down to the registrar's office in OC cause they gave me the wrong ballot (non-partisan). I'm doing vote by mail btw

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-22-2008, 05:59 PM
If Ron runs independent this fall, we are going to kick some ass! Especially if the Dem is Hillary!

RonPaulFTW08
01-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Also consider these in your mass mailings: http://www.manofcommonsense.com/

zakkubin
01-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Republicans should fall in love with Ron Paul's domestic issues.

So I would briefly go over how the "other" candidates record is crap on these issues to make them uneasy about their current choice.
Then show Paul's record and you've got them sold domestically.

However, the problem is the war.

Several arguments:

#1 - Our mission was to take out Saddam and Ensure no WMD are present. We have been there 5 years and both have been completed. The Iraqi people are appreciative but generally want us to leave. RP has received the MOST money from military so apparently the troops want to leave.

#2 - The U.S. debt is nearly 10 TRILLION and we have upcoming deficits of nearly 300 Billion dollars. Sure we have managed so far but now the baby boomers are retiring. This is something EVERYONE has heard about but generally doesn't understand the impact.
Use stats from our nations accountant that when you factor in these entitlements our national debt in the next 20 years is near 60 TRILLION dollars. To put it into perspective find our nations GDP ( I think it's around 12 T. ) The point is that around 5 years of the entire earnings of AMERICA...

So we have to cut spending. with this argument BRING OUR BUDGET. If they are republicans they want to "balance the budget" ask them to do this buy cutting spending on the sheet.

Also point out that even if we balanced the budget we still have that 60 T. in debt already promised.

Help them out.... They can eliminate Entitlements
OR

A combination Paul proposes in - Cutting most military expense over seas, cutting taxes to grow economy, steam lining tax code to actually collect more, stopping entitlements, welfare, to illegals and kicking them out, and MASSIVE cutting of wasted fed. departments.

Make it clear when he cuts a fed. departments it's because by the constitution the fed. should not override a states decision on powers not specifically given to the fed. gov.

#3 common sense. 70 % of Americans are against the war and will vote D to end it. This means Ron Paul is the best candidate to beat a Democrat.

If they are still for the war put it into perspective. If you vote for the other candidate he will lose because of the position on the war. With a D in office you will lose the war but also every other DOMESTIC policy issues that is important to republicans. If Ron wins yes the war will be over BUT republicans will have one of the strongest candidates in our history with conservative values domestically.

Sorry for the mess. Let me know if you need anything more specific.

noztnac
01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Republicans should fall in love with Ron Paul's domestic issues.

So I would briefly go over how the "other" candidates record is crap on these issues to make them uneasy about their current choice.
Then show Paul's record and you've got them sold domestically.

However, the problem is the war.

Several arguments:

#1 - Our mission was to take out Saddam and Ensure no WMD are present. We have been there 5 years and both have been completed. The Iraqi people are appreciative but generally want us to leave. RP has received the MOST money from military so apparently the troops want to leave.

#2 - The U.S. debt is nearly 10 TRILLION and we have upcoming deficits of nearly 300 Billion dollars. Sure we have managed so far but now the baby boomers are retiring. This is something EVERYONE has heard about but generally doesn't understand the impact.
Use stats from our nations accountant that when you factor in these entitlements our national debt in the next 20 years is near 60 TRILLION dollars. To put it into perspective find our nations GDP ( I think it's around 12 T. ) The point is that around 5 years of the entire earnings of AMERICA...

So we have to cut spending. with this argument BRING OUR BUDGET. If they are republicans they want to "balance the budget" ask them to do this buy cutting spending on the sheet.

Also point out that even if we balanced the budget we still have that 60 T. in debt already promised.

Help them out.... They can eliminate Entitlements
OR

A combination Paul proposes in - Cutting most military expense over seas, cutting taxes to grow economy, steam lining tax code to actually collect more, stopping entitlements, welfare, to illegals and kicking them out, and MASSIVE cutting of wasted fed. departments.

Make it clear when he cuts a fed. departments it's because by the constitution the fed. should not override a states decision on powers not specifically given to the fed. gov.

#3 common sense. 70 % of Americans are against the war and will vote D to end it. This means Ron Paul is the best candidate to beat a Democrat.

If they are still for the war put it into perspective. If you vote for the other candidate he will lose because of the position on the war. With a D in office you will lose the war but also every other DOMESTIC policy issues that is important to republicans. If Ron wins yes the war will be over BUT republicans will have one of the strongest candidates in our history with conservative values domestically.

Sorry for the mess. Let me know if you need anything more specific.

Wow. You are making the same points I always make. We are on the same page.