PDA

View Full Version : OLFD Nevada Report

Thomas_Paine
01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Why We Did Well in Nevada

1. Excellent Leadership and Organization from the State Campaign.

2. Effective use of volunteer's time and energy

The following persons from the Las Vegas HQ deserve our gratitude and respect.

Jeff Greenspan, Regional Coordinator:
Coordinated the Reno and Vegas office without duplication of efforts. Hired the RIGHT people, excellent management and delegation of duties. knowledgeable organization and strategy.

Brian, Clark County Coordinator:
Excellent organizer and communicator. Provided crucial delegate and caucus training.

Ted, Professional Canvasser:
Experience with the door to door Nevada "ground war". Provided effective canvassing training, organized walk lists and volunteers in a timely manner.

Carl, Tech Guy: Created an online phone banking database which helped enormously in the identification of supporters and effective GOTV

Organization for "Caucus Day"

Training of "Caucus Organizers" to run their respective caucus locations
Precinct by precinct lists of known supporters
Delegate speeches and Caucus Record forms.
Volunteers watching and recording the ballot count after the caucus.

Dedicated Volunteers
Hard working individuals who coordinated their efforts with the Campaigns GOTV and canvassing efforts. Although their was a shortage of local volunteers for canvassing, out-of-state OLFD volunteers did the best they could to make up the difference.

How we could have done even better in Nevada?

Rally Local Volunteers:

More volunteers from local Meetup, prioritizing canvassing by making efforts to canvass every precinct. Organizer at every caucus in the state would have netted MORE votes, MORE delegates and an important presence at every ballot count. Some locals volunteers did help and out of state volunteers did the best they could, but were stretched out very thinly.

More Precinct Captains, responsible for their own areas.

GOTV,
Getting ALL the phone numbers for identified supporters (MANY of our identified supporter were address only, a reverse directory search should have been performed for each of these voters to obtain their phone number so that they could have been contacted by phone).

Materials,
HQ did not have enough yard signs. Mitt Romney had HUNDREDS of signs at my caucus...we had 2.

Targeting Independent Voters,
Ron Paul consistently does great amongst Independent voters. Targeted mailings and walk lists for this group of voters.

We will do well in and WIN future state primaries/caucus's, if we:

Activate Local Meetups:
If you are sign waving instead of canvassing then you should be taking a good look at your strategy. Name recognition is one thing, votes are another. Door to door is the only sure way to identify voters and win this election. We have the amount of volunteers necessary, now we need to JUST DO IT.

Become "Precinct Leaders"
Get signed up at the official site and get started ASAP. Preform door to door canvassing of your precinct, targeted canvassing lists, leave materials at every address. Recording all known supporters in your precinct, Reminding every supporter to vote by leaving a GOTV flyer on their door AND calling them the day before the primary. Have a presence at your precinct's polling station, hold a Ron Paul sign and pass out information.

Advertise in your local paper
Use your local Meetup group to pool resources to place ads. This was a major factor in winning Jefferson County.

Winning delegates in California, A California District Strategy.

California has 53 Congressional Districts, each District has 3 delegates REGARDLESS of the proportion of Dems and Reps in that district. This means that districts with extremely low amounts of Republicans can easily be "taken over" through precinct canvassing. The following are districts have a small minority of Republicans: 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 23rd, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th, 31th, 32th, 33rd, 34th, 35th, 38th, 39th, 51st. If you live in California or plan to volunteer there, please choose precincts within the above districts, or your efforts may be largely wasted.

fez2008
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Posting this as a separate thread in the California section. Any link where the exact numbers can be found?

"Winning delegates in California, A California District Strategy.

California has 53 Congressional Districts, each District has 3 delegates REGARDLESS of the proportion of Dems and Reps in that district. This means that districts with extremely low amounts of Republicans can easily be "taken over" through precinct canvassing. The following are districts have a small minority of Republicans: 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 23rd, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th, 31th, 32th, 33rd, 34th, 35th, 38th, 39th, 51st. If you live in California or plan to volunteer there, please choose precincts within the above districts, or your efforts may be largely wasted."

Thomas_Paine
01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Congressional_District

This website has a district by district analysis

http://swdb.berkeley.edu/info/caljournallinks/congress2001.htm

Here is a visual of Republicans county by county

http://swdb.berkeley.edu/data/repreg.pdf

more info and Congressional districts

http://swdb.berkeley.edu/info/statetext/staterpt.htm#cdstaterpt

terlinguatx
01-21-2008, 03:50 PM

morerocklesstalk
01-21-2008, 03:53 PM
this should be stickied, the nevada 2nd place finish was unprecedented

I think the west is where it is at for us. NH was a let down because they are a blue state and they were looking for familiarity more than anything else hence the win for Clinton and McCain. A state motto does not make the state. A focus on the pacific states could really pull us in some major delegates.

RobS
01-21-2008, 04:08 PM
bump, great info in here.

Thomas_Paine
01-21-2008, 04:28 PM
I sincerely hope that the grassroots are listening.

Exarel
01-21-2008, 04:37 PM
I sincerely hope that the grassroots are listening.

We should donate money to fund supplies for efforts like this, instead of the blimp. It gets us wins.

Ball
01-21-2008, 07:27 PM
I was in NH for nearly a month and here (Nevada) for a few days. The difference was night and day in terms of how well organized the campaigns were.

Mad, mad props to Jeff for knowing his shit! Hopefully the campaign will support him to the hilt from now on. He knows how to win, and his strategy and execution had results.

Another thing I've noticed is that the meetup groups do not show up to canvass. This is a strategy for failure. The campaign, to succeed, needs precinct leaders. Nothing could be more clear than that.

CriticalThinker
01-21-2008, 07:37 PM
** 10 X BUMPS & BLIMPS ** for me little brother!

Thomas_Paine
01-22-2008, 03:28 AM
The concept of full-time EXPERIENCED volunteers descending on a state is one of our most powerful tools. I honestly believe that our presence in Nevada had a powerful impact on the caucus results. A few states come to mind that could really use an OLFD full-time volunteer effort:

California
Louisiana (we can really take advantage of the caucus delegate system)
New York

Rhys
01-22-2008, 03:36 AM
I think people are catching on to the value of the orginized official campaign who uses their voter lists and canvases at voters.ronpaul2008.com

Joby
01-22-2008, 03:45 AM
I think the west is where it is at for us. NH was a let down because they are a blue state and they were looking for familiarity more than anything else hence the win for Clinton and McCain. A state motto does not make the state. A focus on the pacific states could really pull us in some major delegates.

Definitely.

Along with cali, I've heard some good things for the Oregon and washington people.

Thomas_Paine
01-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Bump

Hook
01-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Can we put this Jeff guy in charge of HQ then?

bolidew
01-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Excellent report, this will help our CA battle a lot.

Ball
01-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Can we put this Jeff guy in charge of HQ then?

At the very least they should take his advice, and give him funds when he asks for them.

Ball
01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Blump (someone sticky this for a couple days already)

Beerhall Agitator
01-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Excellent work in Nevada guys. The second place was great, and the campaign and grassroots really formed a killer combination. I hope the campaign continues the blitz by spending nationally to maintain our frontrunner status through the Texas primary in March.

cheese
01-26-2008, 09:04 PM
cheers! :D

scudiac
01-31-2008, 12:29 PM
I was also in NH for a month and in NV for about two weeks. The difference was night and day. In those two weeks, we got more done than the entire month in NH imo. Also, the meetup members need to get on the ball. There should never be a shortage of volunteers to do real work with the meetup members we have. This is suppose to be a "grassroots" campaign. Yet, when you call the grassroots to put boots on the ground, the ratio of real workers to meetup members is about 1:500 it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/olfdchannel for videos on the NV Caucus prep and process.

jasonhlasvegas2008
01-31-2008, 12:48 PM
The staff: Jeff, Brian, Robert, Carl, and Ted all performed exceptionally well. The regional coordinator, Jeff Greenspan, picked precisely the right people. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Brian Kominsky. He was the Clark County coordinator. Clark County is the largest county in Nevada. Brian was the perfect person for the job. 100% reliable. Rock-solid guy. Very good judgment. I hope he continues to work on political campaigns, and stays active in the community by pursuing leadership/political positions. I was also very proud of my fellow volunteers of the Las Vegas MeetUp. In my view the MeetUp itself is on its way to becoming an actual political entity of some significance as it concerns local and state politics.

The Phoenix MeetUp and the volunteers that came in from Iowa and New Hampshire were also invaluable. I had a great time with them, and we canvassed and performed a variety of different tasks together. I want to thank Faith H, Alexandra J, Mike Schaecher, Nickel P, Justin, David I, Elizabeth, Dale B, Kristen B, and Michael G. These folks were the hard-core canvassers that were out every day canvassing or calling two weeks prior to the caucus, and they should be commended for their exceptional work.