PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with letter writing... Needed fast, thanks!

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Ron Paul's 10 term congressional record is better than any other major republican candidate. If you can find a major republican candidate who has a better record on taxes, then I'll switch my vote. If you can't find a candidate with a better record on taxes, then I urge you to consider voting for Ron Paul for president.

Is there any way possible I'll have to eat those words? I know that comparing records is a little subjective with some of the other candidates, but please reassure me.

What other issues can I frame the same way? Or how can I frame them in that way, but more softly? I think I can frame economics in that way to some extent, as long as I pay special attention to Paul's books and the fact that Romeny is a venture capitalist, not a business owner who's delivered over 4,000 babies.

The economic issue is againing a lot of traction lately, and Ron shines there as long as I can make it clear and concise.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Also, should I just name the candidates instead? People already know them. I don't want to repeat their names a bunch, but it's all over the news anyway.

HillbillyDan
01-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Don't offer people options ie: "If you do this I will change my vote". The purpose of those kinds of letters is to convince them, not reassure yourself. I also saw your last remark in the forums, it redirected me here. What kind of letter do you wish to send to people, and I will try to help you.

dreicher
01-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Caught your other post. :)

Ron Paul's 10 term congressional record is better than any other major republican candidate. If you can find a major republican candidate who has a better record on taxes, then I'll switch my vote. If you can't find a candidate with a better record on taxes, then I urge you to consider voting for Ron Paul for president.

I like the way you're thinking, but...

1) Better is subjective. Use something quantitative.
2) Drop major. Just use Republican candidate. Using major (like the MSM) makes it sound like there is somebody "minor" who has a better record but we're hiding.
3) Drop "then". Be more emphatic to elicit response: "If you can find - I will switch my vote."

I'll work up something as an alternative and post it.

dreicher
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Also, should I just name the candidates instead? People already know them. I don't want to repeat their names a bunch, but it's all over the news anyway.

No. Typically you would name one if you were making a direct comparison; however, since RP beats them all handily - just lump them all into the "loser" group.

Deborah K
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Do you have any slim jims? They have good info on them. So does the website. You can add all the people who have endorsed him so far: veterans, etc. I would read the slim jim and go to his website and his library: www.ronpaullibrary.com - really good info there! To compare his issues with the others you can go to : http://www.ontheissues.org/Ron_Paul.htm

shadowhooch
01-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Here's what I use:

RON PAUL IS THE ONLY CANDIDATE with a flawless 20 year Congressional record of never voting to raise your taxes, never voting for an unbalanced budget, never voting for a personal pay raise, never pandering to lobbyists, and never voting against 2nd Amendment gun rights.

RON PAUL IS THE ONLY CANDIDATE that introduced legislation allowing for full $ for $ tax credits on all your medical expenses and proposed bills repealing taxes on your tips, your inheritance, and your social security earnings.

RON PAUL IS THE ONLY CANDIDATE that will phase out the Income Tax and will replace it with nothing. The Income Tax currently represents only 1/3 of the Federal government’s revenue – so it is possible. Imagine the boost to our economy and your pocket book!!!

HillbillyDan
01-21-2008, 04:45 PM
First, stick with Huckabee, Romney and McCain, to narrow the field. Then define what your audience cares about the most, then tell them how Ron Paul will be able to better achieve those goals than the other three candidates.

In WV, many people make a living off the coal mined here. So, I have had some success describing to people that if we were not dependent on foreign oil, clean burning coal technology would receive more R&D funds, and might actually make it more attractive in the future as an energy source.

dreicher
01-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Also, it would be helpful to for everyone to know the "audience" you're targeting.

Benaiah
01-21-2008, 04:52 PM
When it comes to abortion, I like Pastor Chuck Baldwin's argument. He says that there is a constitutional way for the president and congress to take the abortion issue out of the supreme court's hands, therefor making Roe v Wade null n void. The fact that nobody except Ron Paul addresses this issue, says that EVERY other politician is one of the following two things: ignorant on the Constitution, or giving us lip service when it comes to abortion-- both of which, make them unfit to be president (because they are constitutionally ignorant, or pandering liars).

"pro-life candidates should put up or shut up" was the name of the article.

amy31416
01-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Also, it would be helpful to for everyone to know the "audience" you're targeting.

Yeah, that's the most important thing in trying to determine the best way to word things.

HillbillyDan
01-21-2008, 05:01 PM
As for the economy, use the example of Nazi Germany's demise, where it took an entire wheelbarrow full of Marks just by a loaf of bread, people would get paid twice DAILY because afternoon money was worth more than evening money, because the inflation was so ridiculously high. Printing money freely, without precious metal backing it, makes it totally worthless, especially on the international market. Stay away from the term fiat currecny as a description because very few people will know what you are talking about. Keep it simple also.

mokkan88
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
How about what happened economically to the Soviet Union? Their military exploits ultimately resulted in an economic collapse that meant the end of the country.

rpfan2008
01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Always on Top

rbmcdonald
01-21-2008, 07:13 PM
This might be too intellectual (as we do not know what your audience is), but I would focus on cutting spending and not lowering taxes. Lowering taxes without cutting spending is just making fake money to give back to people, that they will lose with the inflation tax. If it were me I would reference David Walker, the Comptroller General, who has been saying for 3 years that we are heading for a financail nightmare. Just this month David Walker was on Glen "I like to french kiss men" Becks show, and Walker said that the only candidate that is even talking about the crisis is Ron Paul

Trigonx
01-21-2008, 07:21 PM
bump

Holly
01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Loads of good ideas in the above posts. I took a slightly more basic tact with this letter. I'm not sure about your audience either but in spite of the fact that the details of the issues are so very important, I don't think you're going to be able to address them in a letter that people will actually read. My thought is to hit them with Ron Paul's integrity via his voting record.

Just an idea.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
123 SomeStreetInUSA
InSomeCity, USA_______________________________________________ _____________________________________

Your vote this year may well be one of the most important decisions you make as an American in your lifetime. Our country is struggling with debt which threatens the foundation of our economy, the war is taking a terrible toll and civil liberties are being destroyed as the very fabric of the Constitution is being shredded with new laws.

Politicians promise tax cuts without telling us exactly how they’re going to ‘fix’ the approaching economic mess. They tell us they will bring ‘change’ without telling us how they propose to fund these changes. They vote for the war and then tell us they’re going to stop the war. They do what politicians always do, which is to tell us what they think we want to hear as they fill their speeches with empty promises.

Do their voting records indicate they will do as they have promised?

Ron Paul is the one candidate who has always voted his conscience and kept his promises.

Ron Paul is a ten-term congressman who is dedicated to the Constitution and has proved this with his voting record.

“Unlike the vast majority of congressmen and senators in Washington, D.C., Paul consistently honors his oath of office to support, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.” Chuck Baldwin

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.
He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

While we appear to have many choices in this election process, I believe there is only one choice in 2008 for real change that we can trust to be Constitutional President, preserve American liberty, bring our soldiers home and deal with the fundamental changes necessary to repair our economy.

I urge you to vote for Ron Paul in the primary __________________

Learn more about him at: www.ronpaul2008.com

Sincerely,

MWMI2

Sey.Naci
01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Here's what I use:

RON PAUL IS THE ONLY CANDIDATE with a flawless 20 year Congressional record of never voting to raise your taxes, never voting for an unbalanced budget, never voting for a personal pay raise, never pandering to lobbyists, and never voting against 2nd Amendment gun rights.

RON PAUL IS THE ONLY CANDIDATE that introduced legislation allowing for full $ for $ tax credits on all your medical expenses and proposed bills repealing taxes on your tips, your inheritance, and your social security earnings.

RON PAUL IS THE ONLY CANDIDATE that will phase out the Income Tax and will replace it with nothing. The Income Tax currently represents only 1/3 of the Federal government’s revenue – so it is possible. Imagine the boost to our economy and your pocket book!!!THIS is fantastic!

maeqFREEDOMfree
01-22-2008, 07:30 AM
also caught your other post... i think you're on to something... to me, it makes sense to name the other candidates by name, but it's also essential to give your sources (voting record) for anyone that's named. I've found that most people i talk to have heard all sorts of reasons to support the different candidates, but are rarely offered hard evidence of support for claims of why "so and so" is the best choice for president. seeing is believing in politics.

As far as the letter, who are you writing it to?

I also like the point someone said about not trying to "deal" or "barter" by claiming that you'll switch your vote. I can only assume that you are as rock solid for RP as the rest of us and putting your beliefs up for the taking is not a good way to show support for something you believe whole-heartily in.. at least in my eyes.

acptulsa
01-22-2008, 08:24 AM
There's a great article in Salon that may not appeal to your audience, but could provide good ideas:
http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/...ans/index.html
My posts at Slate.com are aimed at a general audience. Rather than retype them, for what they're worth they're here:
www.fray.slate.com/discuss/forums/thread/735637.aspx
Holler if you don't have enough yet! And thanks for your other thread. I'm amazed that these libertarians are so willing to give such personal info in such a public place. I hope those "who's college educated" type threads aren't useful to the enemy...

Well, the Salon.com link still won't work. Look up the other thread with "Salon article" in the title.