PDA

View Full Version : Forum Dumping Ground or Melting Pot?

Edu
01-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Why not have a section where everyone goes, everyone posts, then moderators move the threads to their proper place if they get to page 3.

If a post is popular it will keep floating to the top and not get moved.

You could have a max time limit of 2 days for any thread and then it must be moved.

Of course you could still start a thread in a different section.

The problem arises because everyone wants their thread to get maximum attention, and the mods here are rightfully getting upset at all the off topic threads posted to the grassroots section.

We would need more mods that have permission to move threads, but only by following the rules.

trey4sports
01-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Why not have a section where everyone goes, everyone posts, then moderators move the threads to their proper place if they get to page 3.

You could have a max time limit of 2 days for any thread and then it must be moved.

The problem arises because everyone wants their thread to get maximum attention, and the mods here are rightfully getting upset at all the off topic threads posted to the grassroots section.

We would need more mods that have permission to move threads, but only by following the rules.

too much trouble for the mods and kind of an energy waste if you ask me.

just click on the new posts link if you want to see the newest postings

Highstreet
01-21-2008, 02:25 PM
You are posting in it.

Grassroots Central

Edu
01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
How do we solve the problem? People want their threads to be viewed by the most people so they put it in the grassroots section.

It's not going to stop just because someone posts guidelines. People don't read the guidelines, it's just the nature of things.

The grassroots section remains the busiest section even after the guidelines have been posted.

A lot of people just start a new thread if their old one is removed.

RTsquared
01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I just don't see it being an effective use of someone's time. Probably 80-90% of threads start off in the correct category. The manpower required for an undertaking like this would be extraordinary.

Fields
01-21-2008, 05:28 PM
You are posting in it.

Grassroots Central

:D

Edu
01-21-2008, 06:02 PM
I just don't see it being an effective use of someone's time. Probably 80-90% of threads start off in the correct category. The manpower required for an undertaking like this would be extraordinary.Where did you get that number? I see everything going into the grassroots section. "hillary going to jail", "asteroid", "economy in a dive" etc..

It's already happening now, and is just going to get worse.

Anyone have a good solution? And don't forget it has to be within the limits of the existing software.

(don't forget to count all the "Yes" votes, against the one "No" part)

Edu
01-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Bump - for a few more votes

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-21-2008, 09:50 PM

It's a lot of work to mod a forum. That's a crazy amount of management, unless you do a lot of back end programming to help it along.

We have 2 weeks to influence super Tuesday. I'd rather any potential mods or programmers be calling people, fliers, whatever. In 2 weeks and 2 days, everything gets reevaluated.

yongrel
01-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Let's do something called, "Not telling the mods their own business and instead helping them out by flagging posts and posting in the proper goddamn forum in the first place."

I have seen too damn many of these threads tonight.

UtahApocalypse
01-21-2008, 09:57 PM
I would vote yes, but call it "The Paul Hive" :D