PDA

View Full Version : Need a new constitutional convention? Larry Sabato from Fox News says so...

Thrashertm
01-21-2008, 01:22 PM
I heard this guy on NPR promoting his new book, in which he calls for a new constitutional convention with a dramatic overhaul of the document to "improve" it.
I've seen him as a talking head pundit on Fox News several times, so of course I took his comments with an immense amount of skepticism. Sure enough, he wants to have a new convention to basically codify all of our societal problems.

For example, he says that we don't have enough troops because of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, so the solution is 2 years mandatory national service for all youth. WTF? The real solution you mud-minded twit is that we should obey the Constitution we have, so we wouldn't have gotten into these wars in the first place.

I didn't hear the whole interview, but of course the NPR interviewer never challenged him, never asked him why we don't just amend our current Constitution.

Feel free to comment here and/or on Amazon.

You can make up your own mind:

Here's the interview:
http://www.wamu.org/programs/dr/ is the main site, then there's this for the full interview

And here's his book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802716210/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

2orb
01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
We should fight against this as hard as we are fighting for RP. Our current Constitution and its enforcement is exactly what we need. To open ourselves up to a convention would usher in a constitution that would look like the UN or European Union wrote it.

There would be no personal liberties included.

junior_bacon_cheeseburger
01-21-2008, 01:56 PM
yeah fucking right, over my dead body. the nerve of this asshole!

Corydoras
01-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Larry Sabato is basically a good guy, and he's the media's go-to guy on the history of electoral politics (he's been discussed before around here), but the constitutional convention is his own peculiar obsession. I don't think he has the sway to make it happen.

youngbuck
01-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Yea, a Constitutional Convention (Con-Con) should be strongly opposed.

Staupostek
01-21-2008, 02:27 PM
I heard someone proposing this over 10 years ago, and at that time it was said to be a bad idea because it would open the constitution up to every nut in the country who would want his or her changes put in there. I don't think things are any less nuttier now than then.

cindy25
01-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Larry Sabato is a DLC Democrat; his proposals to expand the Senate are meant to benefit larger states, and his national service/national slavery goal is the same as the other MSM.