PDA

View Full Version : My parents are about to vote for Mitt via Absentee Ballot

SVS2K
01-21-2008, 01:16 PM
But my mom said that if she finds out one more little thing about Romney, she'll go for Ron Paul just out of spite. :o She's thinking of Romney because of the businessman / economy angle.

Anyway, here's what I'm sending her so far. Can anyone add to this, to help make this an open and shut case? The first one should be enough, but I'd like something that clearly shows Ron Paul is the man for the economy vs Mitt:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/personalities/mitt-romney/
(feel free to browse the statements by other candidates for comparison)

video of the lobbyist statement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOOOfsM1Fw

vice chair of BLACKWATER advises romney (and more)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uUHX2QMA5g

asgardshill
01-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Be the Good Son or Daughter and offer to take the 'rent's mail out to the box, right up until election time. Absentee ballots are usually mailed in a very distinctive-looking envelope. A little steam from a tea kettle and some careful prying, and you're in like Flynn. :D

SVS2K
01-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Nice try, but they live 400 miles away. :)

asgardshill
01-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Nice try, but they live 400 miles away. :)

Another brilliant plan shot to hell ;)

hillertexas
01-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Can we get a brief profile of you parents.

What are their major issues?....are they religious?..etc.

SVS2K
01-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Can we get a brief profile of you parents.

What are their major issues?....are they religious?..etc.

Christian but not church-goers.

Somewhat awakened re: mainstream media but not completely.

Retired (ages 61 & 65)

Emotionally-charged

Sick of having to deal with stuff and wants to enjoy retirement

Worried about their nest-egg re: economy. I tell them stuff but they can't seem to bring themselves to go to a financial adviser because it's difficult to figure out the "truth" of stuff, and be educated enough to call BS on the financial adviser or accept his advice, etc.

Pro-life, used to be ok with it

Southern California natives.

Wants stronger controls on immigration

junior_bacon_cheeseburger
01-21-2008, 01:48 PM
what does economic expertise matter when Romney doesn't have the American people in his best interest? Mitt Romney has Mitt Romney in his best interest. Tell them all about the war profiteering. Here's always a good video to get people to stop trusting the government.

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/261.html

good luck!

Agora
01-21-2008, 02:05 PM
maybe this will help ;)

During his campaign, Republican candidate Mitt Romney has preached a message of economic populism by vowing to fight to keep jobs in America. We take a look at Romney’s days heading up the buyout firm Bain Capital with Los Angeles Times reporter, Bob Drogin. He writes, “From 1984 until 1999, Romney led Bain Capital, a Boston-based private equity group that earned jaw-dropping profits through leveraged buyouts, debt hedge funds, offshore tax havens and other financial strategies. In some cases, Romney’s team closed U.S. factories, causing hundreds of layoffs, or pocketed huge fees shortly before companies collapsed.”

more on:

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/1/17/at_times_romneys_bain_capital_profited

hillertexas
01-21-2008, 02:07 PM
bump

hillertexas
01-21-2008, 02:11 PM
My parents are retired teachers and they are upset because their pension was taxed before it went into the retirement account (until the union negotiated them out of it) and then it is now taxed when they receive the pension checks.

This is income tax.

Ron Paul would work to stop this and Mitt Romney would not.

hillertexas
01-21-2008, 02:13 PM
"Somewhat awakened re: mainstream media but not completely. "

Make sure they have seen "Outfoxed" and "America: Freedom to Facism"

hillertexas
"Christian but not church-goers"

Definitely play up the Mormon thing with them.

Goldwater Conservative
Romney doesn't know the first thing about the economy. He talks about cutting taxes, but the most he'd do is tinker with them. When he was trying to win Michigan, he pandered for votes by promising protectionist policies (didn't work so hot prior to the Great Depression, and might have accelerated it). He doesn't know the first thing about monetary policy, which is a key cause of and key to solving our problems nowadays.

Paul, meanwhile, is well versed in the economic school of thought of many actual economists, like Milton Friedman, who realize the importance of understanding the money supply and its impact on the business cycle. He would work to abolish the income tax and cut spending to match. He would fight to eliminate the national debt and budget deficit. Romney has never gone head-to-head with the Federal Reserve Chairman, but Paul has, and repeatedly.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I saw someone else's strategy on this in a different thread. They're your parents. Explain to them that this is very important to you and you're very well informed on the issues. You have more at stake in this election than they do, because it is you and your children who will pay for all of these wars.

freelance
01-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Don't waste two votes. Play to their fears and kiss and make up later.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Just talk to them and honestly ask them "do you really want to leave me or my children in the same situation we are in now or worse?". When they answer that question than hit them hard with facts (some of which you have seen here already) and tell them that you know they want you and their grandchildren to inherit the same America that they believed in growing up and that only Ron Paul can deliver that.

Young_Apprentice
01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Emotionally-charged

That's the hardest one to overcome.

SVS2K
01-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Thank you all for your advice and links. I've sent off two emails, called and told them they have email, and will post results after I hear back from them.

Ron Paul needs to take full advantage of the economic problems surfacing right now and let people know he's been very involved with monetary and economic policy and speaking out against the way things have been for 30 years, and is the reason he left being a doctor behind to get into politics.

freelance
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Just talk to them and honestly ask them "do you really want to leave me or my children in the same situation we are in now or worse?". When they answer that question than hit them hard with facts (some of which you have seen here already) and tell them that you know they want you and their grandchildren to inherit the same America that they believed in growing up and that only Ron Paul can deliver that.

Yep, guilt also works well.

SVS2K
01-21-2008, 04:45 PM
And the verdict is:

They're gonna vote RP. :)

Here's the conversation that transpired. I called them to let them know to keep an eye on the stock market after what's going on today out there.

Parents: Oh we're gonna fill out our absentee ballot tomorrow... thinking about Romney. Blahblah businessman. The whole politics thing is so disgusting. If I find out one more thing about Romney, I'll vote for RP just out of spite (and since I know you're really passionate about RP).

Me: Ok, I haven't done my job to inform you enough about this stuff. Give me a few minutes and I'll send you an email.

Then, by email, I sent this to my parents:

-------------Start Email---------------------------------

1)
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/personalities/mitt-romney/
(feel free to browse the statements by other candidates for comparison)

2)
video of the lobbyist statement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOOOfsM1Fw

3)
vice chair of BLACKWATER advises romney (and more) (aka he has ties to this disgusting military-industrial complex)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uUHX2QMA5g

4)
http://www.democracynow.org/2008/1/17/at_times_romneys_bain_capital_profited

5)
On Romney & the economy (from another RP supporter):
"Romney doesn't know the first thing about the economy. He talks about cutting taxes, but the most he'd do is tinker with them. When he was trying to win Michigan, he pandered for votes by promising protectionist policies (didn't work so hot prior to the Great Depression, and might have accelerated it). He doesn't know the first thing about monetary policy, which is a key cause of and key to solving our problems nowadays.

Paul, meanwhile, is well versed in the economic school of thought of many actual economists, like Milton Friedman, who realize the importance of understanding the money supply and its impact on the business cycle. He would work to abolish the income tax and cut spending to match. He would fight to eliminate the national debt and budget deficit. Romney has never gone head-to-head with the Federal Reserve Chairman, but Paul has, and repeatedly."

6)
I'd also like to point out that since you two are retired, your pension was taxed before it went into your retirement account (right?), and it's being taxed again when you receive your pension checks now. This is income tax. Ron Paul would work to stop this and Mitt Romney would not.

Paul is HEAVILY involved with the Austrian economic school of thought. I've looked into this. This economic theory is amazing from what I've read so far, and plays to the reality of human action, and we should have been doing this stuff a long time ago. Paul is very involved in monetary policy theory and related forums all over the internet. Paul has spoken out about monetary and fiscal and foreign policy for 30 years. Paul left his profession as a doctor to get into politics not for power but because of economics! An entire world of information a google search away backs this up. I would hands down trust this man far more than Romney.

I plead with you and Dad to vote in a way that has a very real chance to change the world for the better! A world I will be living in for several more decades, hopefully. If you haven't made up your mind due to lack of time to be informed, DO NOT vote for the sake of voting. Vote because you *know* beyond a shadow of doubt that there's a candidate that would be good for this country.

--------------End Email----------------

And the response from my mom after my parents read my email and discussed amongst themselves:

----------Start Response-------------

Hi, Honey. Thanks for writing all that and for the links. It was very interesting, but smacks of politics as usual that I (we) have heard our entire life with commentators having to come up with something dramatic to talk about and deep dark secrets to uncover and finger pointing and no one knowing who is telling the truth. The Internet jabber I have read doesn't seem much different that the TV in that respect. You are still guessing at what the agenda of the writer is.

I found the most interesting youtube video to be about the advisers to the candidates and was disappointed it ended long before it got to all the candidates and the people's background that surround them. It would influence my vote for sure. Question: Do you know is advising Ron Paul?

I had seen the Romney/Reporter incident about the lobbyist on Romney's team of advisers on TV. And what I learned from that youtube video about who is advising Obama or Clinton was insightful. I don't see their influence really on what the candidates say now but would be concerned should they stay around in the administration of whoever wins and they probably would, so that's a big one.

One reason I would not vote for Hillary Clinton is because she has surrounded herself with some of her husband's old cronies and I just can't go there. Can't stand him because he put this country through so much disgrace and pain and I am still shocked that the Democratic Party will still rally around him.

Bottom line is I don't know WHO will do the best job much less ANY job for this country right now at a time when it seems more worrisome than ever. I'm quite certain that tomorrow, short of shutting down the stock market, we will lose 20K or more so plan to pull it out as soon as we can before it goes any lower.

Your Dad never contributed to a "retirement" fund so was never taxed on what he is receiving now as his pension. However, we believe we might have been taxed on our social security before and are now being taxed again. Taxes have been deferred on the 401K and I won't start drawing on my social security for a few more years.

Your Dad and I have been through several recessions and it was never very traumatic for us because as long as we had our jobs and our house you knew it would turn around. And it did.

Recessions can lose one some money in the stock market and they can make things more expensive and yes, people can lose their jobs, however, it seems to me that the people most hurt are those who are already living on the edge and most people just go about their life and suffer a little until it's over. We've had Presidents we didn't like or vote for and visa versa and we survived.

So let me say this. Your Dad and I discussed it and both agree that no candidate makes us completely comfortable, not even Ron Paul, but he seems to be the only one who talks straight and I do like some of his ideas. I'm not a fan of some of his fanatic promoters and there has been some commentary about Ron needing to influence his supporters to not act like hooligans at some of the rallies because they turn off people who are on the fence and don't want to align themselves with disrespectful promoters.

We, like everyone else, know things have to change in MANY areas and it's hard to know who would be the best leader this time around. Much to our sadness, Washington IS broken but who could really make a dramatic shift? Some of Ron's ideas are great, but the question is will he be able to pull them off and is there another more moderate route.

Bottom line is this. We don't know who to vote for in this upcoming Primary and being on the fence we would rather not just guess so will go ahead and support who you are passionate about. So instead of my negating your RP vote and your Dad just throwing up his hands at the whole thing it will be 3 for Ron Paul. Perhaps with the economy getting worse his message will get more people on board and even if he doesn't win the more votes he does get the more his ideas will be in the psyche of the American Public.

We love you. Don't worry. xoxoxox Mom

------------End Response----------------

So yeah, I'm happy enough to shed a few tears now. Hopefully this inspires others to talk to their parents more closely. I thought I would have more time but the absentee ballot thing took me by surprise.

FYI, my response to my mom's question about who Ron Paul's advisers are:

---------Start Email Snippet Re: RP Advisers----------

To answer your question about advisers to Ron Paul.

Kent Snyder, campaign chairman and chief of staff
Former chairman of the Liberty Committee, a conservative political action group.

Jesse Benton, press secretary
President of CIC Solutions, a consulting group, and a former Capitol Hill staffer.

Justine Lam, director of e-campaigns
Former director, Institute of Humane Studies.

Bruce Fein, adviser
Conservative commentator, Heritage Foundation scholar.

Alan Dye, adviser
Legal counsel to Pat Buchanan's presidential campaign.

Joseph Becker, chief legal adviser
Deputy chief of staff and legislative director for Paul from 1997-2001.

Lew Rockwell, adviser
Founder of the Ludwig von Mises Institute (mises.org - Austrian economics)

And as recently as 3 days ago:

Presidential hopeful Ron Paul has enlisted the help of Loyola professor Walter Block in securing the Republican nod

Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul recently chose Loyola economics professor and long-time friend Walter Block as his scholar-adviser for his campaign.

That's all I can find on that.

---------End Email Snippet Re: RP Advisers----------

Redcard
01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Be the Good Son or Daughter and offer to take the 'rent's mail out to the box, right up until election time. Absentee ballots are usually mailed in a very distinctive-looking envelope. A little steam from a tea kettle and some careful prying, and you're in like Flynn. :D

*laughs*

I like it.

And it's ironic. Of all the cases of voter fraud people have alledged here..