PDA

View Full Version : Iraq soccer hero calls for US to leave

surf
07-29-2007, 08:18 PM
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Iraq won the Asian Cup for the first time Sunday, a beacon of hope for a nation divided by war.

Iraq’s 1-0 victory over Saudi Arabia on a 71st-minute header by captain Younis Mahmoud was an inspirational triumph for a team whose players straddle bitter and violent ethnic divides. After the game, Mahmoud called for the United States to withdraw its troops from his nation.

“I want America to go out,” he said. “Today, tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, but out. I wish the American people didn’t invade Iraq and, hopefully, it will be over soon.”

more here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20022491/

Iraq 1:0 Saudi Arabia HUGE WIN FOR IRAQI FOOTBALL and Iraqi people. soccer fans understand.

kylejack
07-29-2007, 08:26 PM
They won a soccer game recently and people celebrating in an overpacked cafe were blown up by suicide bombers. Downright tragic.

Perpetual
07-29-2007, 08:34 PM
What is this "American people" business? Surely he and his teammates don't think the CITIZENS of America had anything to do with what happened to Iraq. . . right?

UCFGavin
07-29-2007, 08:35 PM
What is this "American people" business? Surely he and his teammates don't think the CITIZENS of America had anything to do with what happened to Iraq. . . right?

i would hope not

jj111
07-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Well SOME American people appear to have acquiesced to the US government invading Iraq, and I think it was more than one. But certainly it was not all of the American people.

kylejack
07-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Well, soldiers are American people, so there were certainly American people invading Iraq. Furthermore, these bastards were elected by a majorityish of the American people, so those who elected them bear partial responsibility as well.

ronpaulitician
07-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Well SOME American people appear to have acquiesced to the US government invading Iraq, and I think it was more than one. But certainly it was not all of the American people.
More than half of the American people supporter going into Iraq. Almost 4 in 10 still support it. Bush was re-elected. As much as we'd like to think that it was our government, not the people, I don't think we can use the "Wir haben's nicht gewusst!" defense. I, for one, supported the war at the outset, and believe it was people like me that gave our administration to political willpower to carry out their plan.

SeanEdwards
07-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Well, soldiers are American people, so there were certainly American people invading Iraq. Furthermore, these bastards were elected by a majorityish of the American people, so those who elected them bear partial responsibility as well.

Those who voted against Bush, or those who did not vote at all are also to blame. It was our tax dollars at work. Everyone should own up to their responsibility for this state of affairs.

kylejack
07-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Those who voted against Bush, or those who did not vote at all are also to blame. It was our tax dollars at work. Everyone should own up to their responsibility for this state of affairs.

Yeah, but those are taken from us by force.

Shellshock1918
07-29-2007, 08:56 PM
J

“I want America to go out,” he said. “Today, tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, but out. I wish the American people didn’t invade Iraq and, hopefully, it will be over soon.”

Not to be a little pain in the butt, but if we didn't overthrow Saddam Hussein, he wouldn't be celebrating a soccer victory right now.

SeanEdwards
07-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah, but those are taken from us by force.

Those who did not support the war are to blame for their failure to stop the war.

We all have blood on our hands.

kylejack
07-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Those who did not support the war are to blame for their failure to stop the war.

Hey, I did what I could to stop it, but I'm not "responsible" for another person's actions. I am not my brother's keeper. I was out on the streets trying to build enough discontent and writing letters to Congress and many other things, but short of bombing recruiting stations, there's not much more I could have done.

cjhowe
07-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Not to be a little pain in the butt, but if we didn't overthrow Saddam Hussein, he wouldn't be celebrating a soccer victory right now.

Not to be an additional pain in the butt, but I'm pretty sure he would prefer the hundreds of thousand of his fellow countrymen alive rather than celebrating a soccer victory.

surf
07-29-2007, 09:19 PM
soccer related: i'm taking odds at 3:1 right now that the US and Iraq will not be "drawn" into the same group in S Africa.

What i see here is a glass half-full. Soccer is a great source of national pride- and as commercials will tell you, it has led to cease-fires previously. If nothing else, celebration of being Iraqi will grow, and the people celebrating will learn that they at least share two things in common: 1 has to do with US presence, and the other is a love of soccer.

Dustancostine
07-29-2007, 09:39 PM

That is very Jean Paul Satre-ish and very subjectivist.

quickmike
07-29-2007, 09:57 PM

Yeah, but im sure he would gladly trade in his soccer victory for his country not to be in shambles right now.

angelatc
07-29-2007, 10:01 PM

YOu don't know that. Uday Hussein had turned the team over to a German coach right before we invaded.

Shellshock1918
07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Not to be an additional pain in the butt, but I'm pretty sure he would prefer the hundreds of thousand of his fellow countrymen alive rather than celebrating a soccer victory.

Those numbers are probably grossly over-inflated.

quickmike
07-29-2007, 10:26 PM

So what is the magic number of deaths that make it worth it? Im sure if the Iraqi people wanted to overthrow Saddam, in mass numbers they could have done it. We dont need to stick our noses in it. Thats the whole point. Did another country decide for us to fight England for our freedom? No..... So why should we decide for others?

The question isnt weather or not it was a good idea to get rid of Saddam. The question is whos job is it to decide.

torchbearer
07-29-2007, 10:36 PM

We did vote for in mass for Bush, and the national polls are showing the "people" supporting the nazi candidates who want to continue our "empire". its embarrassing to be associate with such stupidity.

surf
07-29-2007, 10:47 PM
more from the Iraqi captain as translated on Fox Soccer Channel:
"the problem is the American troops and our government... i don't [like] the American people to be angry with me, i wish the Americans hadn't invaded Iraq, and i hope very soon to get rid of them from there."

i hope this clears up some of what may have been lost in interpretation and translation, and perhaps misinterpreted by some on this board about blaming all Americans.

Now would be a perfect time to step back from Iraq, military wise. Soccer can have that power. I just hope our leaders don't step-on-their-dicks and try to claim this as a sign of US success (as they did in 2004 when Iraq surprisingly placed 4th in Athens).

But then, most Americans just don't understand the power of the "beautiful game."

Shellshock1918
07-29-2007, 11:09 PM
So what is the magic number of deaths that make it worth it? Im sure if the Iraqi people wanted to overthrow Saddam, in mass numbers they could have done it. We dont need to stick our noses in it. Thats the whole point. Did another country decide for us to fight England for our freedom? No..... So why should we decide for others?

The question isnt weather or not it was a good idea to get rid of Saddam. The question is whos job is it to decide.

I'm not endorsing the war. As someone who is in the middle on this mess, you have to look at ALL of the facts. Not just the negatives. You have to be able to find the BS when you smell it and sort it out.

cjhowe
07-30-2007, 02:14 AM

There have been more than 67,900 reported Iraqi civilian deaths in the media since the war began. Do you honestly think that is all of the deaths?
http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

conner_condor
07-30-2007, 02:23 AM
When do these people start voicing to their government they want us out of there should be a question?Have they not voiced their opinions allready and have not their government showed them they have no control over their country against us? I think this is a key for them to know that they are in control of that country now and not their government. I believe if we leave now, The people of that country can handle it on their own. One problem, We want oil.

Shellshock1918
07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
There have been more than 67,900 reported Iraqi civilian deaths in the media since the war began. Do you honestly think that is all of the deaths?
http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

I understand that, but their is an temptation to over-inflate to try to sway the public rather than just speak the truth.

angelatc
07-30-2007, 08:39 AM
But then, most Americans just don't understand the power of the "beautiful game."

My husband views the continuing insistance that Americans get interested in soccer as a part of the New World movemnt .

Shellshock1918
07-30-2007, 10:27 AM
My husband views the continuing insistance that Americans get interested in soccer as a part of the New World movemnt .

ditto

It was fun when I was in elementary school, but now sports really take no importance to me. The REAL world is much more important than hitting a ball.

surf
07-30-2007, 10:34 AM
soccer part of New Wold Order - you guys are funny. I'm ok with that, as long as the order maintains and we keep dominating the Mexicans.
Soccer is liberating.
i'm done defending it.