PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul on CSPAN Live

mlpyeatt
05-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Ron Paul will appear on CSPAN live from the House Floor for nearly one hour starting around 7:45 pm Central.

I just got the call from my grandmother, Carol Paul, and the House Floor just called his office to bump up the time. He was supposed to appear starting at 8pm but they moved it up...

Matt Pyeatt
(Ron's grandson)

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-22-2007, 06:46 PM
http://www.c-span.org/watch/cs_cspan_rm.asp?Cat=TV&Code=CS

I think you can watch it live here.

cujothekitten
05-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Therion
05-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Man, these democrats really take a long time to "wrap up"...

Two minutes!

UtahApocalypse
05-22-2007, 07:03 PM
He is on NOW !

cujothekitten
05-22-2007, 07:07 PM
YAY! He just mentioned that liberals that withhold their taxes as an act of protest against the war are patriots.

Phil M
05-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Every time I see this man on the House floor I just sit in disbelief that a guy like this is actually in Congress.

cujothekitten
05-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Oh man please tell me someone is recording this. It's pure gold.

garywatson
05-22-2007, 07:14 PM
As you all know, I think Ron Paul is the greatest politician to come along in a long time. However, I think he needs a new speechwriter (or needs to hire one). This stuff is not written for somebody speaking the words out loud. He's struggling with the toungue-twister language on this CSPAN broadcast.

Reiyuki
05-22-2007, 07:17 PM
hour-long, late-night speeches in congress are hard to make spicy. Still fun to watch, though

amonasro
05-22-2007, 07:17 PM
watching it now... great stuff:

"The enemy says 'boo', we jump and punish ourselves."

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Bummer. I thought we were going to get a full hour. Great stuff! He'll have a transcript of that available.

garywatson
05-22-2007, 07:29 PM
watching it now... great stuff:

"The enemy says 'boo', we jump and punish ourselves."

The best line I heard was the phrase "Welfare/Warfare State". Totally spot-on.

RP just bassed the baton to Dana Rohrabacher, a man I once did volunteer work for (20 years ago or so...).

Dana is bitching about illegal aliens.

lbrtylvr
05-22-2007, 07:30 PM
pretty damn good speech

Bossobass
05-22-2007, 07:30 PM
WOW...Congressman Paul is amazing!

This speech will be talked about for many years to come.

Bosso

Harald
05-22-2007, 07:33 PM
I hoped Dr. Paul will introduce the "sunset clause" in this speech. Did I miss it or he didn't do it this time?

This week I plan to introduce legislation that will add a sunset clause to the original authorization (Public Law 107-243) six months after passage. This is designed to give Congress ample time between passage and enactment to craft another authorization or to update the existing one. With the original objectives fulfilled, Congress has a legal obligation to do so. Congress also has a moral obligation to our troops to provide relevant and coherent policy objectives in Iraq.

randolphus maximus
05-22-2007, 07:37 PM
I hope so too, I caught about 5 minutes at the end.

Seth M.
05-22-2007, 08:03 PM
i was 5 mins late... poo.. it all happens for a reason though.. anyone score a youtube upload?

please say yes!

garywatson
05-22-2007, 08:21 PM
i was 5 mins late... poo.. it all happens for a reason though.. anyone score a youtube upload?

please say yes!

I've got the whole thing on my dish networks DVR box, but I'm not really set up to digitize it to youtube. At least not easily -- I'm going to try having my wife try to burn it to DVD on her system and then I'll see if I can rip it, but that's a lot of stuff to go wrong and somebody else will probably have it uploaded by then...

Seth M.
05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I've got the whole thing on my dish networks DVR box, but I'm not really set up to digitize it to youtube. At least not easily -- I'm going to try having my wife try to burn it to DVD on her system and then I'll see if I can rip it, but that's a lot of stuff to go wrong and somebody else will probably have it uploaded by then...

I appreciate it... you are right though :) Itll be on ytube in the morning most likely. I have another site up and they are raving about it over there.. Good Dr. Paul must be telling the truth again... :^P

Ron Paul 2008

snowgoosebob
05-22-2007, 10:14 PM
As you all know, I think Ron Paul is the greatest politician to come along in a long time. However, I think he needs a new speechwriter (or needs to hire one). This stuff is not written for somebody speaking the words out loud. He's struggling with the toungue-twister language on this CSPAN broadcast.

Gary:

I think RP has been doing a Great Job so far.

This is my point of view....just a opinion(SP?)

I been working in a Glass Container Factory for 30 years. And of-course at any factory there's alot of machines that do things. As for the factory I work at we have a "Old Saying" when it comes to all those machines.

The "Old Saying" goes as follows.....
If It Works...Don't Fix It!
:) :D

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
05-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Another enlightening speech from Dr. Paul. What are the purposes of these special-order speeches? He didn't introduce or comment on any specific piece of legislation, so what is to be done with this speech?

MsDoodahs
05-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Gets his point of view on the record.

:)

UtahApocalypse
05-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Now up at Google Video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5792391565012624048

Seth M.
05-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Now up at Google Video:

Thank you! :D

NewEnd
05-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Now up at Google Video:

thanks... but man is he stiff. He needs to be more loose, and talk at the top of his head, that is what he is best at.

LibertyOrDie
05-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Now up at Google Video:

Thank you, I was disappointed I had missed it.

TheMikael
05-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Just watched Paul's speech (Tivo ;))
I thought that it was very good, and if he says this at the next debate (if he ever gets the time to) he will surely win over the the viewers once again.

TheDuke
05-23-2007, 03:34 AM
I'm watching it now, this is interesting:)

rpliving
05-23-2007, 05:10 AM
Ron Paul is not the greatest speaker But it's the message that counts

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
05-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Gets his point of view on the record.

Right, but for what purpose? Who is to process this viewpoint and make decisions based on it? Is it for the American people? Or is it for some Congressional committee or something?

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Another enlightening speech from Dr. Paul. What are the purposes of these special-order speeches? He didn't introduce or comment on any specific piece of legislation, so what is to be done with this speech?

I used to work on a lot of GOP campaigns, and they'd always like to put in their literature, "As I said on the House floor . . ." Somehow that adds emphasis to what they're saying. They neglect to tell you that only one other House member was in the audience.

These days, it gets you on CSPAN, and for Dr Paul, having become newsworthy, it gives reporters something to work with. And it gives us vid to put to music. Has anyone put the full thirty minutes to a catchy song yet?

specsaregood
05-23-2007, 08:27 AM
//

garywatson
05-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Gary:

I think RP has been doing a Great Job so far.

This is my point of view....just a opinion

Well, actually the speeches are OK but they need to be edited for speaking. If you read them, they look fine because they are written as one would write a college term paper. Unfortunately, it's hard to read that sort of thing aloud as unless you practice it a lot, you will have a hard time putting the correct accent on the correct words and it's confusing to listen to. I have a lot of trouble on my podcast (http://ronpaulpodcast.com) when I try to read one of his Congressional statements verbatim.

I'm hardly a linguistics expert, but when I write something for speaking, I make the sentences shorter and add a lot of commas and semicolons to make the phrasing clear. I also try to break up phrases that have too many multi-sylable words in a row, which turn into toungue-twisters when spoken aloud.

In RP's case, it's like every situation where in English grammar it's optional to put in punctuation, he doesn't. Fine for a printed piece; much harder when trying to make a speech out of it.

If you doubt what I am saying, go have a look at the famous speeches of our times and notice that they tend to be made out of short, powerful sentences. This is closer to how we speak naturally, in conversation, and it's how our brains are optimized for understanding the spoken word.

He doesn't need to literally fire his speechwriter, because I'm pretty sure he writes all his own speeches! But he could use an editor who knows his informal extemporaneous speaking style, and who knows how to fix his prose to match this.

mconder
05-23-2007, 09:30 AM
You guys are being a little too critical. Are we really the types to vote for the person with the best haircut or stage presence? Personally it brought tears to my eyes to see a room with such historic significance once again being filled with the voice of the last patriot congressman. I that that is significant.

NMCB3
05-23-2007, 09:38 AM
I`m under the impression that RP basically writes his own speeches. Can anyone confirm this?

I thought the speech was good, Ron is not the best public speaker out there, but then Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were allot worse. :)

ButchHowdy
05-23-2007, 10:35 AM
You guys are being a little too critical. Are we really the types to vote for the person with the best haircut or stage presence? Personally it brought tears to my eyes to see a room with such historic significance once again being filled with the voice of the last patriot congressman. I that that is significant.

AMEN!

Hawaii Libertarian
05-23-2007, 10:44 AM
One of the benefits of RP being in Congress is his access to the House floor to make prime time TV speeches (which don't cost him anything for air time) that C-Span picks up live for widespread broadcast.

My wife and I also watched Dana Rohrbacher's speech afterwards. She noted that while RP rarely looked up from his prepared text, Rohrbacher quite often looked directly into the camera, which made him seem more sincere and compelling to a TV audience.

When the President delivers the state of the union address and other speeches, he has a teleprompter so he can look straight into the camera as he reads it. It's hard to give a long speech on complex issues from a lectern. Unfortunately, our society has been conditioned for fluff and appearance over substance.

I agree, RP's message was great as always, but it would be more effective as an essay. For the uninitiated voter, it might be hard to follow.

Few of us are gifted to have the TV charisma of someone like Ronald Reagan (or Johnny Carson), but as RP continues to use this venue, especially with people recording his remarks and posting them on YouTube, it might be more effective for him to make a more deliberate effort to make eye contact with the camera in order to better connect with the audience.

People are tired of politics as usual and they really are looking for someone they can trust.

rpliving
05-23-2007, 01:23 PM
What happend to the video. It doesnt work anymore

TheDuke
05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
What happend to the video. It doesnt work anymore

I can still see it...

Anyway, great one, we need this man in charge of the country, once again it has been proven.

jimmyjamsslo
05-24-2007, 01:21 AM
seems like a rebuttal to the giuliani histrionics and all the other smear tactics