PDA

View Full Version : Can I donate today?

johnt
01-21-2008, 07:33 AM
If I maxed out last quarter?

MattMinnesota
01-21-2008, 07:34 AM

Nope. You can only donate again for the general election, you're finished for the primaries.

WilliamC
01-21-2008, 07:35 AM
But certainly you have friends or family members who aren't maxed out....?

johnt
01-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Crap. Time to wake up the girlfriend.

Registered
01-21-2008, 07:36 AM
you can easily "gift" money to a friend, and have em donate under their name.

akijikan
01-21-2008, 07:44 AM

Highly illegal

When you Confirm your eligibility on http://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate you confirm the following:

3. I am making this contribution with my own personal funds, and I will not be reimbursed by anyone for this contribution.

newmedia4ron
01-21-2008, 07:45 AM
you could donate to the blimp or grassroots

akijikan
01-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Um, the campaign cares....they can get in trouble for receiving donations that break those rules.

I think the law is stupid and unconstitutional, but if we don't follow them, the campaign could get in a world of trouble.

Kingfisher
01-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Run an ad in your local paper?

akijikan
01-21-2008, 07:57 AM

If you can't grasp the concept, don't bother....

peacemonger
01-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Um, the Forum cares...

Discussing or engaging in illegal activities on the Forum is not permitted for a good reason. BECAUSE IT HURTS THE EFFORTS OF ALL OF US!!!

Read the Rules.

Mini-Me
01-21-2008, 07:59 AM
who could possibly confirm that? That's like confirming somebody's intentions. Get a friend, have em donate. And given em money for their birthday or a late christmas present. Nobody is the wiser, who cares?

And here it is, the inherent problem with the government limiting individual donations to prevent corruption: They have no real way of enforcing the law. It's based on the honor system, and while that's fine for friendly competitions, it won't stop anyone intending to bribe government officials with donations (generally those with bigtime corporate or lobbyist ties) - they're the least likely ones to actually obey the law here. Sure, it makes it somewhat difficult for a person to donate, say, $100,000, but...yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why the current restrictions are largely senseless. In a way, they just make it easier for lobbyists and bribing assholes to hide the real source of the money, since they can always say, "Pffft, you're accusing me of bribery? Impossible. I can only contribute $2300!" In other words, the current campaign finance laws just make it tougher to tell who's buying out our politicians.

akijikan
01-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Um, the Forum cares...

Discussing or engaging in illegal activities on the Forum is not permitted for a good reason. BECAUSE IT HURTS THE EFFORTS OF ALL OF US!!!

Read the Rules.

Good point. I reported his two posts encouraging illegal acts detrimental to the campaign

Registered
01-21-2008, 08:02 AM
If you can't grasp the concept, don't bother....

i understand it.

im 'just sayin' wink wink nudge nudge know what i mean. Im not saying participate in illegal activities, this is for information only.

im off to go download some torrents.

DealzOnWheelz
01-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Well I'm knot sure when they start the donations for the General election

I would say donate because if you are over the $2300 limit they will refund the money

Mini-Me
01-21-2008, 08:31 AM

And by the way, if you're rich as hell and already maxed out, but you still want to give more somehow, you might as well donate ten grand to the blimp. ;) While ads are the better bet to spend our money on at this point, the blimp doesn't contribute to your max donation amount, so you can spend whatever you like on it.

nc4rp
01-21-2008, 08:35 AM
if youre maxxed then you can donate to one of the call centers or letter writing campaigns. theres alot of groups needing a little cash for their TV advertisements. People have been asking for donations for gas money that are travelling around the country campaigning for Paul. Plenty of deserving people could use your help in a way that will help the campaign on a whole.

JimInNY
01-21-2008, 08:48 AM

Are you the Registered from FR?

Mini-Me
01-21-2008, 08:50 AM
if youre maxxed then you can donate to one of the call centers or letter writing campaigns. theres alot of groups needing a little cash for their TV advertisements. People have been asking for donations for gas money that are travelling around the country campaigning for Paul. Plenty of deserving people could use your help in a way that will help the campaign on a whole.

I agree with this - just be very careful you donate to a legitimate grass roots group, not some jerkwad trying to ride Ron Paul's popularity and scam you out of your money.

libertarian4321
01-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Highly illegal

When you Confirm your eligibility on http://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate you confirm the following:

Yup, its "illegal."

So is jaywalking.

Though you have a much higher chance of being prosecuted for jaywalking...

BTW, if he and his "girlfriend" are considered common law married, its NOT illegal.

DFF
01-21-2008, 10:32 AM

QFT.

Registered
01-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Are you the Registered from FR?

sorry im not

Airborn
01-21-2008, 10:38 AM
hopefully when the billionaire come on ship he will start handing out these nice 2,300 "gifts" to every one here ;)

just kidden ;)