PDA

View Full Version : Official Campaign separated from grassroots?

Idyil
01-21-2008, 02:43 AM
Can anyone answer me why the official campaign does not work more closely with the grassroots? It seems to me that the campaign only touts about how the grassroots can organize independent of the campaign. To me, it seems like the most effective way to get out the message is to have both groups cooperate more closely.

For example, I think the moneybombs should be advertised more by the official campaign since they can get to the masses much easier with their television coverage. Likewise, the grassroots could spread the word of any upcoming events the official campaign plans to hold (I think they already do).

But, this current divide seems to be hurting the campaign in general and I wish the official campaign will include grassroots in their planning.

This campaign has to rely heavily on grassroots to spread the word since MSM is unwilling to do so. The official campaign should utilize this valuable and important asset.

Knightskye
01-21-2008, 02:49 AM
For example, I think the moneybombs should be advertised more by the official campaign since they can get to the masses much easier with their television coverage.

Might be illegal.

Fields
01-21-2008, 02:49 AM
They are not allowed to by law. I'm sure someone will give you more details.

Technics2000
01-21-2008, 02:54 AM
They are not allowed to by law. I'm sure someone will give you more details.

I don't have all the details either but I think there is a law prohibiting the official campaign from coordinating certain things with the grassroots campaign.

sharpsteve2003
01-21-2008, 02:56 AM
The Precinct Leader Program is the perfect way to bring the 2 together.

I hope to see it expanded to let supporters that might not want to take on Precinct Leader positions could sign up as Helpers or assistants. I have requested this and some other changes that could help. They are looking for input on how to make this work the best. Improvements to the site are being made almost daily.

Idyil
01-21-2008, 02:57 AM
Hmm. I did not know this. Boy, does my post sound stupid then. Well, I would like to know the details of this. Please share if anyone knows. So it is illegal for official campaign to advertise the moneybombs? It doesn't seem so since Ron Paul can say it on tv and e-mails.

hillertexas
01-21-2008, 02:59 AM
I think that it is that HQ cannot be involved in the planning

Bradley in DC
01-21-2008, 03:01 AM
Boy, does my post sound stupid then.

It is a good post, you don't sound stupid.

Yes, there are limitations on what HQ can do with the grassroots. More confusingly, this rEVOLution has been like no previous campaign and we're in uncharted territory. For example, in DC, when the Meetup leader of one group went on the official staff, he gave up the Meetup group to avoid problems, but the new Meetup organizer got hired and won't give it up. Which one is right?

That said, yes, HQ could, and should, be working more cooperatively with the grassroots.

literatim
01-21-2008, 03:02 AM
McCain-Feingold

Technics2000
01-21-2008, 03:04 AM
saw this posted in another thread

BLS, there is nothing in the FEC rules that disallows communication between volunteers and the official campaign. Further, all the other campaigns have volunteers. They just don't call them grassroots. The other campaigns interact with the volunteers, and in some cases direct them. Didn't the Iowa campaign work with the "grassroots" volunteers? Of course they did. Didn't the campaign end up coordinating with the meetup group on the Philly rally? (I know, I know, don't remind you.) ;)

I can think of one very specific example that is seriously not allowed. That would be if campaign hdqts. handed the grassroots a script and said, "Please fund and run this ad, but use your name." That would be a clear violation. I'm sure it also wouldn't be allowed for the campaign to call up Trevor and say, "Here's a list of RP events. We expect you to fly over them."

I suspect that the campaign is taking this to the extreme for a reason. (I didn't dream this one up all by myself, BTW.) Perhaps they want to disassociate themselves from the grassroots in order to avoid linkage between private agendas and the official campaign.

Rather than some structured, voted-on-every-little-proposal committee, I would favor a liaison committee whose purpose is to enhance the flow of communications, suggestions, etc. to and from the campaign headquarters.

You KNOW how every little thing gets dissected here. The primaries would be over before everyone agreed on the agenda for your first conference call. I would propose that you just run with the suggestions that you hear on here that are viable, OR that you submit the questions/problems as you see fit. If we can't trust you guys to represent us, then what's the point? Most of those listed has proved his/herself in one way or another.

This is not some ego trip. This is just a group of representatives trying their damnedest to open the lines of communications.

We WOULD, however, expect that you would present anything viable, not just your personal favorite questions/suggestions. I would trust you guys to do that.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

---------

P.S. I would hope that you would start with the suggestion that any campaign that is serious about winning does not blow off media opportunities when they present themselves. At the very least, they should return phone calls to major media outlets. That's just common courtesy.

Telkandore
01-21-2008, 03:04 AM
What's the point of that law, anyway. If the campaign really wanted to couldn't it just hire like 2412124 people on paper and not pay them anything?

I mean, there might be a good reason, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. The only motivation I could see is making the election about who has the money. The establishment doesn't like poor people unless there's a video camera around.