PDA

View Full Version : My Day in San Antonio

jacmicwag
07-29-2007, 02:54 PM
My wife Katie, son Adam and I pull into San Antonio about 3pm. There’s a big festival on Houston Street and tons of people walking the streets. This looks like Ron Paul territory right from the get-go. We make our way down to the Buckhorn Museum on Houston Street and there sits Josh (RP Forums) and Jesse at a volunteer table. My daughter couldn’t make it so we’ve got an extra ticket for the fundraiser. If anyone in our organization deserves it, that would be Josh. I hand him the ticket and he fills us in on the agenda and what’s been happening. There’s a large group of RP supporters in and around the Buckhorn – RP signs, t-shirts and people make an obvious presence right in the middle of the Houston Street Festival. Josh says we just missed an impromptu street march down to the Cavalry Museum.

We hook up with a bunch more Houston meetup people and head down to the Cavalry where RP will speak about 5pm. The Cavalry is directly across from the Alamo. It’s packed. There’s a big RP float and color guard dressed in Texas Independence uniforms at the Cavalry. I can’t help but wonder what Sam Houston or Davy Crockett would think if they were checking us out from across the street. Talk about a powerful and symbolic setting – Ron Paul at the Alamo. It doesn’t get much better than this if you’re a Texan or just a good, old liberty-loving American.

We start milling with the crowd and talking with different people. Everyone is in such a great mood and it’s so easy to pick up a conversation. Amazing how that common goal stuff really does work. It’s hot but you can tell from the buzz that things are just starting to cook. And do they ever when that brown Suburban pulls up and Mr. Paul steps out onto that same ground as so many other famous Texas patriots.

Dr. Paul slowly makes his way up to the stage taking time to shake hands and chat with just about everyone on his path. I sometimes worry about his safety but it’s pretty obvious that’s not his concern. The volume on the PA is a bit low but the crowd roars at some of his now famous one-liners like “it looks like freedom is still popular”. One good sign - there are several TV stations covering the event including Channel 13 out of Houston.

He finishes his speech in front of the Cavalry Museum and then just walks out onto Houston with the color guard accompanying him. The entire crowd is packed around him as we make our way down Houston, hang a left and then stop at the front gates of the Alamo. Dr. Paul is scheduled to do a press conference but it seems now like the reporters are more like us than reporters. Everyone is just packed around Ron and no one can really hear anything being said. I can tell the guy from Channel 13 who I met earlier is pretty amazed with what he’s seeing and hearing. Welcome to the Revolution.

It’s almost 6:00 so a few of us head back to the Buckhorn to try and reserve front row tables for the Houston meetup. Man does that air conditioning feel good as we score three choice tables. The Buckhorn ballroom starts to fill up and those free drink vouchers attached to our tickets are definitely being used.

Soon the place is packed – maybe 500 people or so – and Ron heads in and starts working the room. I’m amazed at how patient he is and the amount of time he’ll spend talking to people. There’s no sense of hurry with this guy – it’s almost like he waits for the person he is talking with to end the conversation. Ron’s family and personal friends have a couple of tables at the side of the room. These folks are just normal, everyday people like the rest of us. Lots of little kids and young people in his group.

The food and service is great. Our host, the Buckhorn Museum, definitely deserves your business if you ever get to San Antonio. Plus it’s a really a neat place all on its own. I never knew there were so many different animals with horns. You can get lost in all the little side rooms and spend hours checking out the displays. I guess I don’t have to tell you the candidate the Buckhorn supports.

We finish eating and next comes the auction. People have donated all kinds of interesting items and our auctioneer is a true Ron Paul believer. He really milks out some great auction battles between our own Dick Mills (Ron Paul Friends USA Meetup) and other bidders. A gold-trimmed RP autographed 22-rife brings in near 3K and a RP autographed and framed copy of the Constitution comes in at a cool 4K. Looks like not all RP supporters are poor. My guess is 12 to 15k from the auction.

Ron comes back out on the floor for another round of pictures and meeting supporters. Several of us from Houston meetup head over for pics and a handshake. Eddie gets into a discussion with Dr. Paul concerning the nursing field and once again RP takes the time to fully answer the questions and render an opinion. When I get up to Ron I’m really not sure what to say so I thank him and ask how it feels to be a rock star after all these years. He just smiles and says it’s about the message and not the messenger. I introduce my wife and tell Ron that she’s an Independent who is concerned about environmental issues. They chat for a few moments and then Katie tells him he has her vote. Now if we can just get the rest of our families to come around.

I don’t know how much this guy likes the limelight but he sure is doing a good job of acting like it even if he prefers the background. Last night he signed more autographs and T-shirts than Ringo Star in his heyday.

The folks running the show decide that Ron’s main speech should be heard by everyone so we head back out to the main public meeting room in the Buckhorn. Ron stands at the top of a divided stairway and addresses the cheering masses below. Very interesting setting with Ron being flanked by bighorn sheep and rhinos on the surrounding walls. May not do much for the anti-hunting vote but the message, as always, is classic Ron Paul which hasn’t changed in 30 years.

You would think that RP would be tired by this point after roaming the streets of San Antonio in melt-your-shoes Texas heat, two major speeches, press conference, and nearly a three-hour meet and greet. But the guy looks energized and ready for battle. Many of us stayed upstairs for the main address and now Ron heads back up the stairs for another round of pictures, handshakes and autographs. What is this guy eating for breakfast?

We’ve got to drive back to Houston and it’s nearly 11pm so we finally say our goodbyes to meetup friends and hit the road. It’s really been a great day! I never knew that politics could be this much fun.

ghemminger
07-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Boy he sounds like work horse...nice personal account!

JoshLowry
07-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks so much for the ticket Jack!

Much appreciated.

DeadheadForPaul
07-29-2007, 05:13 PM
:) It's the morning exercise

Syren123
07-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Great description, Jacmicwag. Thanks.

scrosnoe
07-29-2007, 05:47 PM
thanks so much for the first-hand report and for all who helpled with this event / i do so wish i could have been there to see friends and make new ones!

awesome energy - good work all :) :) :) :) :)

angelatc
07-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks for typing all that. I'm starting to get a little bummed that I haven't been to an event yet.

PatriotOne
07-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Fantastic account! Oh, and about this part:

I don’t know how much this guy likes the limelight but he sure is doing a good job of acting like it even if he prefers the background. Last night he signed more autographs and T-shirts than Ringo Star in his heyday.

Don't worry...he's a Leo. Leo's love attention and they are true leaders through and through :)

Revolution9
07-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Fantastic account! Oh, and about this part:

Don't worry...he's a Leo. Leo's love attention and they are true leaders through and through :)

A Leo.. Well.. That explains a number of seeming anomalies.. A lion that lies down with and protects the lambs.. Scriptures anybody?

Best Regards
Randy

scrosnoe
07-29-2007, 08:01 PM
He's a man of faith which says much more about his character than astrology!

Wendi
07-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Sounds like it was a blast!