PDA

View Full Version : Donation and Politico "virus"

123tim
01-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Remember the "virus" which everyone said was attached to the Politico Nevada map?

I encountered this as well. My AVG virus guard didn't catch anything. I did several spy-ware and Trojan checks with various software programs that I have and found nothing.

Tonight I ran into the same problem on another web page.

My question is this...Was this actually a virus that attached itself to my machine, or just some sort of macro which ran off of the politico web page?

I'm asking because I don't want to use a compromised machine to make a donation.

Thanks,
Tim

therealjjj77
01-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Remember the "virus" which everyone said was attached to the Politico Nevada map?

I encountered this as well. My AVG virus guard didn't catch anything. I did several spy-ware and Trojan checks with various software programs that I have and found nothing.

Tonight I ran into the same problem on another web page.

My question is this...Was this actually a virus that attached itself to my machine, or just some sort of macro which ran off of the politico web page?

I'm asking because I don't want to use a compromised machine to make a donation.

Thanks,
Tim

As long as you didn't download anything, you should be fine.

123tim
01-20-2008, 11:52 PM
As long as you didn't download anything, you should be fine.

Thank you.

devil21
01-20-2008, 11:52 PM
It was a file downloaded into temporary internet files called Downloader. Have you updated your definitions on AVG? Also, some anti-virus programs auto delete files so if you arent finding it at all, it was probably removed in the background.

Airborn
01-20-2008, 11:54 PM
it was spyware, my avg anty-spyware picked it up

thelastpatriot
01-20-2008, 11:54 PM
ah damnit i also got it i need to run a scan tommorow... what the heck was it?

123tim
01-20-2008, 11:55 PM
It was a file downloaded into temporary internet files called Downloader. Have you updated your definitions on AVG? Also, some anti-virus programs auto delete files so if you arent finding it at all, it was probably removed in the background.

Thanks.
Yes I did the updates. I also delete my temp files quite often so it must be gone.

Thanks again.
I appreciate your help. (all of you.)

Tim

devil21
01-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Here's the info on it:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2002-101518-4323-99

PimpBlimp
01-21-2008, 12:11 AM
NSA checking up on Paul supporters

jake
01-21-2008, 12:13 AM
is this real? what the hell..