PDA

View Full Version : Ok, it's time we had an honest discussion about the value of money

aspiringconstitutionalist
01-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Ok, I'll say what's on (I'm sure) everyone's mind: The MLK Day Moneybomb is going to be disappointing. It's not going to bring in a lot of money, and there's a significant chance we won't raise $23 million before 2/5.

However, the more I've looked at it, the more I've realized how relatively little money has anything to do with success in this race. Look at Mike Huckabee and John McCain. Their surges in the polls happened when they were dragging their feet money-wise, and even though we brought in an incredible $20 million for Ron Paul in Q4, we haven't "surged" in the polls per se.

While we should definitely go all in tomorrow and try to make it huge, we're not going to win this thing with moneybombs. We're going to win this thing by winning the minds of Americans and making sure those whose minds we win realize how important it is to win more minds. This is an intellectual and philosophical revolution, and no one ever said our campaign and our victory would look anything like any past campaign victory. Money bought some votes for Mitt Romney (although he STILL lost Iowa and NH), but he's not leading an intellectual revolution. We are.

Money hasn't bought us votes or respect from the Old Media. We will win this by making sure as many of our closest friends and family members as possible get on board and by canvassing our own precincts to death and by getting involved in our local political arena by infiltrating our local GOPs and making our voice articulately heard in our local newspapers and media.

Our path to the nomination is clear. In September, there will be a brokered convention--neither Romney, nor McCain, nor Huckabee are going to be able to garner the delegates to win 50%+. We have until then--that's 7 months--to turn the tide of political opinion in the United States, and we will not do that through moneybombs, sign waves, and bullhorning other candidates' rallies. We will do it through polite, intelligent, articulate, and respectful dialogue with the voters.

Repeat after me: RON PAUL WILL WIN THE REPUBLICAN NOMINATION.

hueylong
01-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Money is a tool. And the campaign needs it. Plus, a disappointing moneybomb will give the MSM another chance to pile on.

Not a constructive post, however thoughtful.

Jae0
01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
We NEED money. Ron Paul cant fly and ride around on air, you know.

Knightskye
01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
The campaign should apply for matching funds, but won't, because Ron likes capitalism and not depending on the government. What's this all mean? Not too many commercials on Super Tuesday.

We NEED money. Ron Paul cant fly and ride around on air, you know.

No, but he can ride in a blimp. :D

Caravello
01-20-2008, 10:56 PM
But at the same time, RP is not a mainstream pol. Huck, for all his faults, is willing to play the game (i.e. pander when needed, say whatever he can to get attention, play up the Aw Shucks). So, all Huck had to do was make an impression, which got the media saying what an interesting guy he was, and he got out his message in a way his voters would expect. McCain is a "name brand," so his situation was different; not to mention his serious Senate backing and endorsements.

I think RP is the kind of guy for whom money will be very important. It helped him get noticed, and is helping him play to his strengths -- which is keep hammering home his message long enough so enough people hear it. He's an unconventional guy for which time will be important to hammer home a message. He's talking about things like monetary policy, for example; you can't expect to make a case for a change in one month's worth of time.

All I know is I will donate another $250. Because I think he needs it a lot more than I right now in our respective lives.