PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Should we give gifts to reporters who show positive Ron Paul reports?

GregVernon
01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
It's like employee of the month except different.

Edit: this poll stems from this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=95667

Second edit: this isn't about bribing people, I think its rather hard to bribe people with one of these:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/ronpaulgum/F410_big.jpg

Also, these gifts wouldn't be going to Sean Hannity or the likes but to people like the 'Morning Joe' hosts who defended Ron from the 'Al-Qaeda' comment.

Airborn
01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
no

Akus
01-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Does Bunny Ranch issue a gift card? We could send those to the reporters whose reporting on Ron Paul is particulary high quality.

yongrel
01-20-2008, 10:16 PM
wtf is this?

GregVernon
01-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Does Bunny Ranch issue a gift card? We could send those to the reporters whose reporting on Ron Paul is particulary high quality.

Since the owner is a RP supporter, I'm sure we can work something out

evadmurd
no. it will embarrass them with their colleagues and will have negative effects. Just send thema nice e-mail. After all, they know what a bad e-mail is.

colecrowe
stupid available poll answers. no- but just because it's silly and a waste of time

GregVernon
01-20-2008, 10:18 PM
wtf is this?

Its a poll thats stems from this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=95667

devil21
01-20-2008, 10:20 PM
No. We have been there, done that...several times. We got nothing out of it.

GregVernon
01-20-2008, 10:20 PM
stupid available poll answers. no- but just because it's silly and a waste of time

Just put the no answer.

ecliptic
01-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I was going to vote yes - until I saw your awesome number three choice. I believe it's time to Boycott Olde Media and never look back. Stop watching and totally ignore the MSM. Unplug, cancel service, notify advertisers, and pass it on. As we continue to do well despite the overall negative press ( with a few exceptions ) it becomes more clear just how dead the MSM already is. How irrelevant their worthless propaganda is. How the minds of the people are finding the truth.

crink
01-20-2008, 10:26 PM
No, if we were to bribe media outlets that would make us just as evil as our opposition. I would never take part in such a thing.

Akus
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
No, if we were to bribe media outlets that would make us just as evil as our opposition. I would never take part in such a thing.

I'll do evil.
Anything to get RP in the White House;)

GregVernon
01-20-2008, 10:29 PM

It wouldn't be bribing. If we were going to bribe them it would take a lot more than a $10 trinket... Plus we would also have to make a deal with them, it would be more or less just a thank you! type thing

hueylong
01-20-2008, 10:31 PM
You don't give gifts to reporters. It's like bribery. Very very nasty.

iiguns
01-20-2008, 10:32 PM
It's like employee of the month except different.

Edit: this poll stems from this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=95667

I look at it like this, If they would just give Ron Paul air time, and I mean just as much as the other candidates, Paul would have a chance to win. And if he wins
he brings liberty to us and the reporters!!! Is this not a gift.

scandinaviany3
01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
No..better not

It may come across like bribing or conspiracy if this is done to often.

Ricochet
01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Drop it. It's super tacky and you couldn't possibly afford what it would take to actually have any influence.

The only appropriate response is a nice e-mail complementing them on their honest journalism.

GregVernon
01-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Drop it. It's super tacky and you couldn't possibly afford what it would take to actually have any influence.

The only appropriate response is a nice e-mail complementing them on their honest journalism.

We wouldn't be trying to buy them out, just a nice gift of appreciation.

devil21
01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Just put the no answer.

Most of the newer RPF members probably don't know that we have already done this before. Look up the Laura Ingraham flower bomb, the Leno show flower bomb, and there were one or two other smaller ones. Nothing helped to get more airtime for RP.

Ricochet
Believe me, they'd much rather hear some appreciation via an email than get some crappy gift. They all make a ton of money, they don't need or want trinkets.

liberty_Forever
no, just send them an email thank you.

GregVernon
01-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Most of the newer RPF members probably don't know that we have already done this before. Look up the Laura Ingraham flower bomb, the Leno show flower bomb, and there were one or two other smaller ones. Nothing helped to get more airtime for RP.

Maybe sending thousands of flowers to these people isn't helping. I mean, what would you think if you got dozens upon dozens of flowers that you didn't really want.

Libertyiswinning
01-20-2008, 10:42 PM
It is their duty to report fairly. I would rather see the ones who do not report fairly "removed".

GregVernon
01-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Believe me, they'd much rather hear some appreciation via an email than get some crappy gift. They all make a ton of money, they don't need or want trinkets.

it wouldn't be a dollar store type gift, it would be a nice (yet inexpensive) gift to show our support. The problem I have with emails is it seems to be annoying the reporters to an extent, just watch the FoxNews clips.

devil21
01-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Maybe sending thousands of flowers to these people isn't helping. I mean, what would you think if you got dozens upon dozens of flowers that you didn't really want.

Laura got one nice arrangement, not thousands of flowers. What was sent isnt really the point. All these media mouthpieces do what they are told to do by their handlers. Sending them something might make you warm and fuzzy but it doesn't affect how they do their job.

Telkandore
01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
No, but we should definitely send them a gracious e-mail to thank them for reporting the truth and tell them how much it means to us.

I'm not trying to complain about anyone here or anything, but I think if RP supporters in general could channel the raw emotion that breeds things like death threats to neo-cons and convert it into civil, passionate commentary (and a lot of you already have), we could get way more support.

emeriste
01-20-2008, 10:46 PM
This is actually a good idea and it is too bad that the poll was set up so poorly. Splitting the yes vote and giving a no vote that all sides agree with is something Frank Luntz could admire.

For those of you worried that this might be bribing, it certainly is not. Bribing is when you offer to give something in exchange for something else. This does not do that. This rewards good behavior. It is a form of Operant Conditioning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning). I think that this idea should be resubmitted by some one else (like maybe myself) with a better sales pitch because it is actually an idea worth considering.

Using human nature and psychology to encourage what we would like to see from the media (especially if we targeted the right people) would be shrewed in my opinion.

www.WeLoveFreedom.com --- This was made to introduce people to the revolution. Please spread it.

GregVernon
01-20-2008, 11:00 PM
This is actually a good idea and it is too bad that the poll was set up so poorly. Splitting the yes vote and giving a no vote that all sides agree with is something Frank Luntz could admire.

For those of you worried that this might be bribing, it certainly is not. Bribing is when you offer to give something in exchange for something else. This does not do that. This rewards good behavior. It is a form of Operant Conditioning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning). I think that this idea should be resubmitted by some one else (like maybe myself) with a better sales pitch because it is actually an idea worth considering.

Using human nature and psychology to encourage what we would like to see from the media (especially if we targeted the right people) would be shrewed in my opinion.

www.WeLoveFreedom.com --- This was made to introduce people to the revolution. Please spread it.

Go for it emeriste

SteveB-NY
01-20-2008, 11:01 PM
No.

If there is a quid pro quo of give positive report and then get "gift" it is a bribe. It is the nature of the agreement not the price that transforms an affair into prostitution.
In addition to being potentially criminal, what would RP gain from this? Particularly in light of the potential damage if such bribes were to become public knowledge.

Corydoras
01-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Greg, I think you spend too much time reading websites for promotional gifts. You are just dying to buy something awesome for someone!
:)

For heaven's sake, just go ahead and buy some nice presents for yourself and your friends and family. Really. There's nothing wrong with that.

GregVernon
01-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Greg, I think you spend too much time reading websites for promotional gifts. You are just dying to buy something awesome for someone!

For heaven's sake, just go ahead and buy some nice presents for yourself and your friends and family. Really. There's nothing wrong with that.

You must have been a victim of my "Ron Paul Squirt Gun" thing on IRC. I was just bored and reminiscing about the good ol' Ron Paul Gum days (Which btw, if Ron does make an indie run I'll probably start that back up). I wasn't trying to do anything serious.

But yeah, I've got my next holiday shopping already done for the most part :D

emeriste
01-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Steve -- You remind me of the people who said we should never leave fliers any where because that would be littering.

It isn't bribery unless you ask for something. End of story.

www.WeLoveFreedom.com

GregVernon
01-21-2008, 12:20 AM
So maybe this isn't the most popular idea then? Maybe we should try to hook something up for the anchors of Morning Joe still?

ecliptic
01-21-2008, 12:33 AM
It was roughly six months ago I started a poll on "should we boycott mainstream media" or something like that. The sentiment was mostly against a boycott - most people thought we needed to "kiss up" to the MSM and be nice and hope that they would cover us. Then there were a series of "excuses" why Ron Paul was getting ignored... he was "fringe" ... the threshold was 5% at one point as we were polling around 3%.... then some new excuse replaced the old one.... still no coverage .... blatant non-coverage...

... it took six months and now the idea of Boycotting MainSleaze Media is looking extremely popular. I like what I'm seeing! The peaceful warrior can simply vote with his or her eyes, wallet, and feet. Boycott Olde Media and pass it on, brothers and sisters! The Olde Media is like 8-track tapes... it's just .... soooooooo last century!

merrimac
01-21-2008, 12:34 AM
It's their JOB to report on all the candidates and their positions, records, etc., and if they don't, they're not doing what they're supposed to do. It makes no sense to reward them for doing their job. It makes more sense to punish them when they don't do it.

GregVernon
01-21-2008, 12:37 AM
It's their JOB to report on all the candidates and their positions, records, etc., and if they don't, they're not doing what they're supposed to do. It makes no sense to reward them for doing their job. It makes more sense to punish them when they don't do it.

Well as I said in the first post, it would be like giving someone an "Employee of the Week" type award. And besides, rewards work better than punishments...

MattMinnesota
01-21-2008, 12:41 AM
I think it would be a nice gesture, but I say no. We shouldn't have to reward good reporting - it should be the standard in the first place.

njandrewg
01-21-2008, 12:43 AM
No, they should be doing their jobs and writing unbiased articles.

And regardless, the spin of the article has nothing to do with the writer, it has to do with the editor or whatever giving orders

GregVernon
01-21-2008, 12:45 AM
I think it would be a nice gesture, but I say no. We shouldn't have to reward good reporting - it should be the standard in the first place.

Thats true, I just saw the idea getting buried in different threads and wanted to see how people thought about it. Me being a supporter of the idea, I wish more people would have voted "Yes", but oh well... If it turns out this really is terribly unpopular, thats just more money to donate to Ron!

Bradley in DC
01-21-2008, 03:06 AM
I try not to hate anyone, but please stop this: no more creeping out the media.