PDA

View Full Version : When I was going door to door....

Akus
01-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Not a single person wished to be contacted by Ron Paul campaign. What is going on? Am I just asking the wrong question?
My question is usually :"Would you like to be contacted by the Ron Paul campaign?"

Help me.

Thomas Paine
01-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Not a single person wished to be contacted by Ron Paul campaign. What is going on? Am I just asking the wrong question?
My question is usually :"Would you like to be contacted by the Ron Paul campaign?"

Help me.

Why don't you provide us with a general overview of your "script" or do you just ask the one question above in your prior post?

hueylong
People don't ever want to be contacted. By a campaign, a company, whatever.

I think that's completely the wrong question.

Melissa
how many houses did you go to and are they not interested in Dr. Paul or politics in general

Noleader
The key to sales is not ever offering them a question that can end the conversation.

bclemms
01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Hell, I don't want to be contacted by an official campaign.

Lou337
01-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Something I read on here on another thread was something like

smile, stay quiet or only say hello and extend your hand with the flyer or info...that way they take it naturally without quickly reverting to their "no" response. Most people, if you ask "would you like" will automatically think you want their money.

Once they have their info, leave to the next house. That's what I've heard and it seems to work for me.

nc4rp
01-20-2008, 09:34 PM
theres some good canvassing video here: http://www.ronpaulreveres.com/canvassing

im skipping canvassing and hanging flyers from mailboxes with my name and number to call if they want me to put a sign in their yard, or to get involved with my canvassing, or to ask me to deliver a DVD to them. its my precinct and thats going to be most effective for me, here.

roshi
01-20-2008, 09:40 PM
theres some good canvassing video here: http://www.ronpaulreveres.com/canvassing

im skipping canvassing and hanging flyers from mailboxes with my name and number to call if they want me to put a sign in their yard, or to get involved with my canvassing, or to ask me to deliver a DVD to them. its my precinct and thats going to be most effective for me, here.

I try to go door to door but the weather here has been brutal, so I just leave them in front of the house for now. 0 degrees with a wind chill of -10, I can only stay out for so long before my legs freeze.

dblee
01-20-2008, 09:40 PM
try this phrase:

"Lets do this..."

credit goes to stephen vincent of call4paul for teaching me that one. haha. I was having trouble getting people to give up their contact info.

Akus
01-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Why don't you provide us with a general overview of your "script" or do you just ask the one question above in your prior post?

I am running for a precinct chair in my precinct. I was trying to find out what exactly I have to do - advertise myself as precinct chair candidate or Ron Paul as a Republican presidential candidate. I think fusing both, as I was adviced is extremely confusing to a Joe Schmoe Nevermetbefore (to me) who just opened a door to another Joe Schmoe Nevermetbefore (to him).

So I introduce myself. I briefly mention that I am running for a precinct chair. Then ask if they've been following presidential elections? If no, have they heard of Ron Paul? If yes, who do they like?
If they have no heard of Ron Paul, I give them a slim jim and give them a basic spill on who he is. Then I ask if they'd like to be contacted by a campaign.
If they have been following elections and like a particular guy, I ask them what particular issues are their make or break choices for a candidates. After I hear the answer, I ask if they know Ron Paul is. Give them the slim jim, ask if they want to be contacted.

My other thread discussed all this at length, to be honest, I was surprised that no one replied.

By the way, I was helping out some other disctrict and "would you like to be followed up" line worked there. Go figure.

Akus
01-20-2008, 09:49 PM
People don't ever want to be contacted. By a campaign, a company, whatever.

I think that's completely the wrong question.
i think you're completely right, and I would love to hear the alternatives.

Akus
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
how many houses did you go to and are they not interested in Dr. Paul or politics in general

They are ignorant of Ron Paul in general and are by and large undecided. I've done about a 100 houses. Found only one Obama and one Huckster supporter.

shasshas
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
oh dont ask THAt question

thats the question you ask only afer they say they will donate their life and soul to Ron Paul

ask the other guys for good questions but you can ask them stuff like
do you have a moment for me to describe more about what ron paul is campaining for..
and
would you accept a few pamplhets describing what ron paul is campaigng for and if they say yes see if they will let you explain and discuss the pamphlets with them.

thats what i think.

BUT GOOD EFFORT !!!

FacelessJoe
01-20-2008, 09:53 PM
try this phrase:

"Lets do this..."

credit goes to stephen vincent of call4paul for teaching me that one. haha. I was having trouble getting people to give up their contact info.

Lets do this? In what context would you be doing this? Sorry, its kinda hard to read tone over the interweb.

Akus
01-20-2008, 09:53 PM

Right now I am at https://voters.ronpaul2008.com grassroots training vid.

liberty_Forever
01-20-2008, 09:56 PM
1) Go canvassing with a friend
2) Dress very conservatively.
3) Don't start out 'Can I contact you...'... instead , introduce yourself.

"Hi, I'm John. I live __up the street on 31st and Main___. I'm going around talking to our neighborhood about their concerns. Personally, I'm very concerned about the economy and housing market . . . Do you have minute?"

Something like that is going to be FAR more effective. If they invite you in, make sure you don't jump straight into some campaign pitch. Instead, find out THEIR concerns. What are their issues? What do they think of the economy? What are the most important issues to THEM?

Then after you listen, tell them you support Ron Paul on that issue because of ____insert reason here_____. Ask them who they are supporting... BE RESPECTFUL no matter what. Explain to them why Ron Paul may be a better choice. Say you are concerned about the community, and respect their decision to support any candidate. Give them your contact information and say you are interested in building a stronger community etc.

Hand them some material, thank them and leave. =)

Alabama Supporter
01-20-2008, 09:58 PM
There is a nice video on the campaigns grassroots site that gives a great "how to".

wgpitts
01-20-2008, 09:58 PM
lots of good information on canvassing

Akus
01-20-2008, 10:02 PM
1) Go canvassing with a friend

Couldn't. He has family matters to take care of.

2) Dress very conservatively.

I had to wear a very warm jacket so I could dress as a circus performer for all they'd know because it was all covered.

3) Don't start out 'Can I contact you...'... instead , introduce yourself.

"Hi, I'm John. I live __up the street on 31st and Main___. I'm going around talking to our neighborhood about their concerns. Personally, I'm very concerned about the economy and housing market . . . Do you have minute?"

I never said Can I contact you? I asked, can a campaign contact you? The rest will be taken into consideration.

Something like that is going to be FAR more effective. If they invite you in, make sure you don't jump straight into some campaign pitch. Instead, find out THEIR concerns.

I never walk in. Was never invited in, either.

What are their issues?

I ask them this. Let them ramble for a bit while before I do the Ron Paul spill

What do they think of the economy? What are the most important issues to THEM?

Then after you listen, tell them you support Ron Paul on that issue because of ____insert reason here_____. Ask them who they are supporting...

I do.

BE RESPECTFUL no matter what. Explain to them why Ron Paul may be a better choice. Say you are concerned about the community, and respect their decision to support any candidate. Give them your contact information and say you are interested in building a stronger community etc.

Hand them some material, thank them and leave. =)[/QUOTE]

I do. I never tell them though that Ron Paul is a better choice. I just say that Ron paul is a great guy and then, assuming they tell me their most important issues, tell them about RP's position on that issue.

Thanks for the input.

phree
01-20-2008, 10:05 PM

I've done canvasing and I have serious doubts about it's effectiveness. I personally hate being disturbed at home. I think your strategy is great.

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I think that is definitely the wrong question to ask. Most people are going to interpret that question as "would you like me to tell someone else to contact you and ask for money, time, whatever?".

This is how I canvass...

Hi my name is X. I live in the neighborhood. I'm canvassing for the upcoming primary. Will you be voting?

What are the most important issues for you this election?

Have you decided on a candidate or are you still deciding?

Do you know about Ron Paul?

Be prepared to answer questions concerning Ron Paul's positions on their issues
Be prepared with slimjims that address their issues (if possible)
Suggest that they visit ronpaul2008.com for more info or contact HQ
Tell them about any upcoming events or debates where Ron Paul will be present

You're trying to identify potential supporters, but don't expect them to decide on the spot. Your trying to have a conversation with them about why you think Ron Paul is the best candidate. But most people (if they're still deciding) will want to learn more about Ron Paul's positions, even if they've heard some of them from debates or from you.

Your question might be appropriate if they already know a lot about Ron Paul and are obviously very interested toward getting involved. But I've never ran into anyone like that who wasn't already involved with the campaign's efforts somehow. If they're eager to get involved, they'll let you know. Leave your contact info with them, if you're comfortable doing that.

DealzOnWheelz
01-20-2008, 10:17 PM
I think that is definitely the wrong question to ask. Most people are going to interpret that question as "would you like me to tell someone else to contact you and ask for money, time, whatever?".

This is how I canvass...

Hi my name is X. I live in the neighborhood. I'm canvassing for the upcoming primary. Will you be voting?

What are the most important issues for you this election?

Have you decided on a candidate or are you still deciding?

Do you know about Ron Paul?

Be prepared to answer questions concerning Ron Paul's positions on their issues
Be prepared with slimjims that address their issues (if possible)
Suggest that they visit ronpaul2008.com for more info or contact HQ
Tell them about any upcoming events or debates where Ron Paul will be present

You're trying to identify potential supporters, but don't expect them to decide on the spot. Your trying to have a conversation with them about why you think Ron Paul is the best candidate. But most people (if they're still deciding) will want to learn more about Ron Paul's positions, even if they've heard some of them from debates or from you.

Your question might be appropriate if they already know a lot about Ron Paul and are obviously very interested toward getting involved. But I've never ran into anyone like that who wasn't already involved with the campaign's efforts somehow. If they're eager to get involved, they'll let you know. Leave your contact info with them, if you're comfortable doing that.

Yeah this guy knows what hes talking about

Another thing you want to do is make sure when you goto each house even if you can't get their phone number they will at least tell you their name and then next to their name write down some of their main concerns and then you can come back with specialized literature to match their concerns and when you go back they will probably have more questions and it will help with report building

Akus
01-20-2008, 10:19 PM

I only had to do it twice or three times, since most people are just undecided. That is, assuming that they even care.

Then what is the appropriate way to obtain a contacting information from these people?

Fields
01-20-2008, 10:22 PM
No offense, but how about a picture of yourself?

Akus
01-20-2008, 10:24 PM
No offense, but how about a picture of yourself?

I can't.

For some reason, any picture I post is xed out.

SovereignMN
01-20-2008, 10:25 PM
I've done canvasing and I have serious doubts about it's effectiveness. I personally hate being disturbed at home. I think your strategy is great.

Ditto. I have nearly 2000 people to talk to in my precinct. No way can I talk to them all and with the high temperature being 0 degrees this week I don't want to waste my time talking to 20-30 people when I can canvass 10x that in the same amount of time.

My strategy will be:
1) Canvass
2) Follow up phone call to select individuals

Akus
01-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Ditto. I have nearly 2000 people to talk to in my precinct. No way can I talk to them all and with the high temperature being 0 degrees this week I don't want to waste my time talking to 20-30 people when I can canvass 10x that in the same amount of time.

My strategy will be:
1) Canvass
2) Follow up phone call to select individuals

I have 2800 people in my precint. Most of them are in their apartments though, so the time spent between walking fomr one door to another is minimal. Also, I know that I most likely will not cover them all, but damn if I won't try.

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
what is the appropriate way to obtain a contacting information from these people?

Just focus on identifying people on your walk list that have already decided on RP or might lean that way. If your walk list is half way up to date, you really shouldn't have to ask for contact info. Just confirm their name and address from your walk list. Mark up your walk list with any changes necessary. I wouldn't ask for a phone number and wouldn't call anyone unless they ask. If they do, obviously you'll want to get the number.

I carried several different color pens with me to indicate support, opposition, follow-up, etc.. But I'm a business owner and I also used to work in sales, so, I might be a little anal about this.:D

kirkblitz
01-20-2008, 10:42 PM
what does the offical campaign contact them about

humanic
01-20-2008, 10:44 PM
im skipping canvassing and hanging flyers from mailboxes with my name and number to call if they want me to put a sign in their yard, or to get involved with my canvassing, or to ask me to deliver a DVD to them.

I've been wondering about this. I just signed up to be a precinct leader a day or two ago. I am only working part time right now so I have a lot of time to canvass but minimal funds. Am I able to get yard signs, slim jims, flyers, dvds, or any other material for canvassing from somewhere for free? Or do I have to order/pay for it all myself?

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 10:51 PM
what does the offical campaign contact them about

I think the campaign calls the night before to remind them to vote or caucus. Most people are probably going to know and won't need reminding. And if they haven't decided solidly for Ron Paul when you talk to them, probably best that they don't get a reminder anyway because you might turn out the vote for someone else. If they're a supporter, and seem ditzy, yeah they might need a reminder. But I've never met a ditzy Ron Paul supporter in real life.

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Am I able to get yard signs, slim jims, flyers, dvds, or any other material for canvassing from somewhere for free? Or do I have to order/pay for it all myself?

No guarantees on what they might have available, but contact your county or state coordinator. Mine had plenty of slimjims and signs, which was all I really needed.

firebirdnation
01-20-2008, 10:59 PM
I have been saying this for a while now, people don't want to be bothered at home. I have been suggesting that people just leave some information on the doorknob.

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I have been saying this for a while now, people don't want to be bothered at home. I have been suggesting that people just leave some information on the doorknob.

Do you get a kick out of butting in on these threads with your BS? If you can't add anything constructive, buzz off!:mad:

firebirdnation
01-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Do you get a kick out of butting in on these threads with your BS? If you can't add anything constructive, buzz off!:mad:

Have you heard about the ignore feature? I hear its a great feature if you don't like what someone else is saying. Either ignore my posts or buzz off. You really need a new hobby. :)

Iwantchange
01-20-2008, 11:13 PM
You're asking them the wrong question, you need to ask them "how would you feel if you didn't have to pay taxes anymore?" followed up by, "wouldn't it be great if we didn't have an IRS anymore?"

Vote Ron Paul!

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Have you heard about the ignore feature?

You're the person that needs to be ignored...you're second guessing the campaign's explicit instructions.

Antonius Stone
01-20-2008, 11:17 PM
I made my own fliers that pretty much have all the info potential voters might need to know about RP as well as website URLs and the 800 info hotline. I don't even try to have conversations or debates with people, i Just knock, say hello, give them the paper and tell them to have a nice day.

the platform can speak for itself

firebirdnation
01-20-2008, 11:18 PM
You're the person that needs to be ignored...you're second guessing the campaign's explicit instructions. I've contributed way too much to have some jack ass from another campaign fuck it up. Fuck off.

Why do you feel the need to talk shit to people over a difference of opinion? How old are you, about 12? I think you need some psychotic drugs to make you relax or you are going to bust a hemroid. Its people such as yourself whom keep others from doing anything at all. STFU already.

Iwantchange
01-20-2008, 11:19 PM
You guys are all asking the wrong questions... Ron Paul is the punch line, not the question. When you're talking to someone, you're only goal is to get there interest, so you can get to the next step.

Caravello
01-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Sales is an art. Takes a lot of practice. But door to door sales of any kind is never very successful. People can get creeped out, regardless of the intentions and earnestness of the pitch. The best thing is to not go to them but to bring them to you, throw a rally, have food and fun and bands and all that. That's what people want.

Iwantchange
01-20-2008, 11:21 PM
You guys stop with the negativity, I don't want any of this crap reflecting on the campaign.

firebirdnation
01-20-2008, 11:23 PM
You guys stop with the negativity, I don't want any of this crap reflecting on the campaign.

No negativity here dude, just giving my opinion and getting attacked for it. Actually, many people in this thread said pretty much the same thing I did, but I was personally attacked for it. Kinda lame if you ask me. :)

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Why do you feel the need to talk shit to people over a difference of opinion? How old are you

Every time someone asks about canvassing, you give instructions that are completely contrary to what the campaign has asked precinct captains to do. I'm 45. I don't give a shit what you think or what your opinion might be. The sooner you go away, the sooner people can get on with what needs to be done. Its obvious you're not doing anything to help.:rolleyes:

firebirdnation
01-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Every time someone asks about canvassing, you give instructions that are completely contrary to what the campaign has asked precinct captains to do. I'm 45. I don't give a shit what you think or what your opinion might be. The sooner you go away, the sooner people can get on with what needs to be done. Its obvious you're not doing anything to help.:rolleyes:

If you don't care about my opinion, why don't you ignore it? I can give a shit about your opinion as well, but I just ignore it like adults usually do. If you want to do is duplicate what happened in your state, then go right ahead? Sounds like a winning plan to me. :rolleyes:

You need a life, learn to use the ignore feature.

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 11:29 PM
If you want to do is duplicate what happened in your state, then go right ahead? Sounds like a winning plan to me.

The result in the precincts I canvassed was better than the result for the state. I wasn't responsible for the entire state. You have nothing of value to add to this thread...take your bullshit somewhere else.:rolleyes:

firebirdnation
01-20-2008, 11:31 PM
The result in the precincts I canvassed was better than the result for the state. I wasn't responsible for the entire state. You have nothing of value to add to this thread...take your bullshit somewhere else.:rolleyes:

Ya, but I wouldnt' call 10% a winning number, therefore I would suggest your techinque adds no value to the campaign.

Akus
01-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Why do you feel the need to talk shit to people over a difference of opinion? How old are you, about 12? I think you need some psychotic drugs to make you relax or you are going to bust a hemroid. Its people such as yourself whom keep others from doing anything at all. STFU already.

Ok children children :rolleyes:

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 11:42 PM
I wouldnt' call 10% a winning number, therefore I would suggest your techinque adds no value to the campaign.

Yeah, the 2% result in adjacent precincts that I didn't canvass and didn't have a precinct captain would've been much better. Go back and take some basic math classes. :rolleyes:

I'll follow the campaign's directions...your suggestions suck and are probably straight from someone else's campaign. :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
01-20-2008, 11:44 PM

Help me.

That's what they were trying to use in NH.

I got the same responses.

CTAC
01-20-2008, 11:47 PM
i think you're completely right, and I would love to hear the alternatives.
May I contact you later, please?

My script:

Hello, I'm your neighbour, my name is CTAC, I live <my location here>. You may have seen me riding bicycles with my children around many times. I volunteered to campaign for Ron Paul. Have you heard of Ron Paul?

After that people usually get very relaxed.

BTW, English is not my native language. You, guys, should do way better than I.

Caravello
01-20-2008, 11:55 PM
This is all great, but let's throw a party. I think that is the way to go. Hot dogs, hamburgers, a band, kids running around, etc.

I'm in Los Angeles, and I'd be willing to offer my assistance.

jblosser
01-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Akus we can talk about this more in person if you want but a couple things:

1) The precinct chair angle is only going to be relevant to people who are obviously Republicans. The really high GOP number people who will slam the door on you if you say "Ron Paul" right after they open the door. Telling them you're running for precinct chair first really softens those guys and gets the door open. Then you can ask what issues matter to them, then talk about those issues a while, then ask about the election and mention Ron Paul as someone who you're supporting. They'll listen to it more if they think you're sane from the previous conversation. You can tell them "I know you've probably heard some stuff about him, but I just encourage you to look into him yourself, he's really a good option for <whatever issue you heard them mention that Ron is good on>". This is the only option you really get with those people. If that's too much, skip them entirely if you have to, they're definitely hard to crack. But they tend to have a lot of influence, which helps.

2) The contact info you get from the campaign should be accurate, we don't need you asking everyone for their contact info. Just mark the people who are worth following up on and make good notes about what they were interested in, then don't ask, just tell them (in a matter-of-fact way) that you'll come by later with a DVD or to talk to them more when they've had a chance to do some of their own reading. Then either you or one of the other walkers over here will follow up with them. If you find people that are going to vote for him, then don't ask, tell them as well you'll be glad to give them a call to remind them to vote and ask if you can get their first name and number. We have their number already so it's fine if they say no, but we do want to confirm it and which person in the house we're talking to if we can.

Joe3113
01-20-2008, 11:57 PM
We need to get bikini models doing the door-to-door canvassing or something. The perverts will do whatever the women tell them if the women flirt a little.

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 11:58 PM
what a great job, looks like we have a winning plan. ;)

Between canvassing, contacting friends and family, and writing editiorials, I've influenced at minimum 50 people to vote for Ron Paul.

jblosser
01-21-2008, 12:01 AM

People don't want to lose their shirt to inflation or get drafted and killed in Iraq, either. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

If you just leave information, this is what your strategy depends on:

1) that they see it, and it doesn't just blow away/get stolen by garden gnomes
2) that they read it without just tossing it
3) that they see enough to go look more
4) that they bother to decide they want to vote for him
5) that they remember later and actually go vote
6) that they do that for the primary and not just wait for the general

You can have whatever opinion you want but actual history of elections in America say this is a failing strategy.

If you talk to them you move responsibility for 1, 2, 5, and 6 (at least) to you instead of them. You can't decide for them to vote for him but you can make sure they get the info, process it to some extent, and if they will vote for him that they actually get to the polls at the right time.

Yes, you also incur some risk of turning off a person who maybe would have voted for him (if they remembered) but won't because someone knocked on their door, but I'm sorry, that's a much lower risk than depending on individuals to think about the election and go out and vote because someone left a flyer on their door. In the precincts I've walked (including my own) the average ratio of people that were glad I'd come talked to them vs. people who said "go away not interested" is probably 3 to 1. The ratio of people at home vs. no one answered is at least 1 to 2, though, so don't worry, you'll have plenty of chances to just leave lit and not have to talk to anyone.

The campaigns that do this part better than the others are the ones that win.

Knightskye
01-21-2008, 12:06 AM
People don't want to give their phone number to someone they don't know. That's reasonable. But whether or not they want to hear ABOUT the official campaign - and the candidate - is the important part.

firebirdnation
01-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Between canvassing, contacting friends and family, and writing editiorials, I've influenced at minimum 50 people to vote for Ron Paul. What the fuck have you done other than come on here and piss all over other people's effort? What an asshole!:mad:

Do you feel the need for attention? Are you looking for approval? Is this a personal pissing match for you? I love the way to try to twist this as if you were the one attacked, but perhaps you need to reread this thread. What actually happened was I gave my opinion on this topic and you decided to personally attack me. Don't try to play the victim, it won't work. I can care less about what you had done, it obviously didn't work to good.

Jae0
01-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Do you feel the need for attention? Are you looking for approval? Is this a personal pissing match for you? I love the way to try to twist this as if you were the one attacked, but perhaps you need to reread this thread. What actually happened was I gave my opinion on this topic and you decided to personally attack me. Don't try to play the victim, it won't work. I can care less about what you had done, it obviously didn't work to good.

But are you going to answer the question?

jake
01-21-2008, 12:10 AM
"Would you like to be contacted by ... " is a horrible question :)

firebirdnation
01-21-2008, 12:14 AM
People don't want to lose their shirt to inflation or get drafted and killed in Iraq, either. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

If you just leave information, this is what your strategy depends on:

1) that they see it, and it doesn't just blow away/get stolen by garden gnomes
2) that they read it without just tossing it
3) that they see enough to go look more
4) that they bother to decide they want to vote for him
5) that they remember later and actually go vote
6) that they do that for the primary and not just wait for the general

You can have whatever opinion you want but actual history of elections in America say this is a failing strategy.

If you talk to them you move responsibility for 1, 2, 5, and 6 (at least) to you instead of them. You can't decide for them to vote for him but you can make sure they get the info, process it to some extent, and if they will vote for him that they actually get to the polls at the right time.

Yes, you also incur some risk of turning off a person who maybe would have voted for him (if they remembered) but won't because someone knocked on their door, but I'm sorry, that's a much lower risk than depending on individuals to think about the election and go out and vote because someone left a flyer on their door. In the precincts I've walked (including my own) the average ratio of people that were glad I'd come talked to them vs. people who said "go away not interested" is probably 3 to 1. The ratio of people at home vs. no one answered is at least 1 to 2, though, so don't worry, you'll have plenty of chances to just leave lit and not have to talk to anyone.

The campaigns that do this part better than the others are the ones that win.

I agree, we should all do what we can, and all efforts are to be commended. I don't believe that knocking on doors is the best method because I hate it when people show up to my house unannounced, but I do not put down those who do go door to door. As long as they are out there doing something positive to get Dr. Paul elected, they are an asset to the campaign. I look at it like this, is it better to have someone out there leaving material on door knobs, or doing nothing at all. Therefore, if someone does not want, or cannot not due to personal circumstances, go door to door and knock, but are willing to at least leave literature on the doors, they should be given some reinforcement that what they are doing is good.

I personally punch a hole in the top of two slimjims and a flyer, tie on a rubber band, and leave it on the doorknob. It won't blow away and they will see it when they arrive home. In addition, I can hit 100 homes in the time it takes to talk to 5 people. I am going for name recognition. I would be interested in seeing some actual studies performed comparing the two methods before I would suggest any method is better than the other. But the important thing is getting out there and doing something positive for the campaign.

firebirdnation
01-21-2008, 12:16 AM
But are you going to answer the question?

What question would you like me to answer?

jblosser
01-21-2008, 12:28 AM
I agree, we should all do what we can, and all efforts are to be commended.

I'm not sure what you're agreeing with because I didn't say that.

I don't believe that knocking on doors is the best method because I hate it when people show up to my house unannounced,

As I said you can think what you want but the history of campaigning in America (which goes back a few hundred years) says you are wrong. If you want to argue your point you should really consider putting up some data, not just personal preference. This is about winning a Presidential election not Miss Congeniality. Some people will be annoyed by knockers but it's statistically not the majority and the risk level involved doesn't come near comparing to the risk level involved in hoping people go out and vote on their own initiative.

but I do not put down those who do go door to door. As long as they are out there doing something positive to get Dr. Paul elected, they are an asset to the campaign. I look at it like this, is it better to have someone out there leaving material on door knobs, or doing nothing at all. Therefore, if someone does not want, or cannot not due to personal circumstances, go door to door and knock, but are willing to at least leave literature on the doors, they should be given some reinforcement that what they are doing is good.

I'm sorry if it offends you dude but I'm not really interested in coddling people who aren't putting it on the line given the stakes involved. We don't get to win half an election. This is winner-take-all, with the fate of what's left of the free world and the lives of billions at stake. I imagine the people losing their homes to the current bust would have rathered had someone knock on their door. Next year it may be you and me.

So let me say it plainly: People that are phyiscally capable of going door knocking but choose to do something less are NOT an asset to the campaign. They are a liability. Whatever lesser work they do is only valuable insofar as it manages to recruit other people to go out and do their job for them, if they're lucky.

Whether you like your door knocked or not, door knocking wins elections. If a grassroots as huge and motivated as our own cannot manage the simple math of doing this better than anyone else, it won't be the campaign or the candidate that loses this election, it will be us.

firebirdnation
01-21-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm not sure what you're agreeing with because I didn't say that.

I admit, I am guilty for trying to be agreeable, but that seems harder and harder on this site these days. Too many "I am the best RP Supporter out there" type of people here. I can see why some of the best posters such as Llepard no longer post here. What a shame, we should be supporting each other but instead we are wasting time flaming people who have a difference of opinion. People such as yourself destory the grassroots, not help it. You are a typical egotistical maniac and are extremely divisive. How can that possible be an asset to the campaign.

As I said you can think what you want but the history of campaigning in America (which goes back a few hundred years) says you are wrong. If you want to argue your point you should really consider putting up some data, not just personal preference. This is about winning a Presidential election not Miss Congeniality. Some people will be annoyed by knockers but it's statistically not the majority and the risk level involved doesn't come near comparing to the risk level involved in hoping people go out and vote on their own initiative.

Perhaps you would like to provide some data? Does the data even exist, and if so, I can't wait to see it.

I'm sorry if it offends you dude but I'm not really interested in coddling people who aren't putting it on the line given the stakes involved. We don't get to win half an election. This is winner-take-all, with the fate of what's left of the free world and the lives of billions at stake. I imagine the people losing their homes to the current bust would have rathered had someone knock on their door. Next year it may be you and me.

And you think that by being a dick you will unite people to fight for Ron Paul? What kind of twisted logic are you using?

So let me say it plainly: People that are phyiscally capable of going door knocking but choose to do something less are NOT an asset to the campaign. They are a liability. Whatever lesser work they do is only valuable insofar as it manages to recruit other people to go out and do their job for them, if they're lucky.

Nice way to slam those who do not follow you like a sheep. Sounds like you would fit better in a socialist movement, as this one allows too much freedom for a socialist such as your self. Of course what you say is mere speculation and not factually grounded.

Whether you like your door knocked or not, door knocking wins elections. If a grassroots as huge and motivated as our own cannot manage the simple math of doing this better than anyone else, it won't be the campaign or the candidate that loses this election, it will be us.

Evidence? If it works so good, why are we not flooded with door to door salesmen every day? Why do we have a national no call list for telemarketers? But I have found many ads left on my door knob, and out of curiousity I usually read it.

Anti Federalist
01-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Fire Bird wrote:

I can see why some of the best posters such as Llepard no longer post here. What a shame, we should be supporting each other but instead we are wasting time arguing.

His treatment here was disgraceful.

I met the man personally at the Boston Tea Party rally and he is a great asset to the effort.

steph3n
01-21-2008, 12:44 AM

DO NOT DO THIS!!! the postal service can get on you hard about hanging anything from a mailbox. it also doesn't allow you to takl to someone and will end up in the trash a vast majority of the time.

firebirdnation
01-21-2008, 12:46 AM
DO NOT DO THIS!!! the postal service can get on you hard about hanging anything from a mailbox. it also doesn't allow you to takl to someone and will end up in the trash a vast majority of the time.

This is true, stay away from mailboxes.

firebirdnation
01-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Fire Bird wrote:

His treatment here was disgraceful.

I met the man personally at the Boston Tea Party rally and he is a great asset to the effort.

I agree, its too bad he doesn't spend much time here anymore, but I can clearly see why he chose to back off.

Ricochet
01-21-2008, 01:01 AM
This might help.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=95741

Akus
01-21-2008, 01:45 AM
And you think that by being a dick you will unite people to fight for Ron Paul? What kind of twisted logic are you using?

As someone who knows, well, semi-knows, jblosser IRL, I resent this remark. Jblosser, whenever I hear him, has more clue about how these things run then ten randomly picked Ron Paul supporters, in my honest opinion. I don't want to put him on some kind of a pedestal because he is never ever been wrong in his life, but you shouldn't take offence. It makes sense what he says. A personal contact will do more use then anything, including may be even donating $$ on the MLK day.

Don't fight him in particular or any other Ron Paul supporter in general.

phree
01-21-2008, 11:27 AM

I happen to agree with his "BS", so if you don't mind I'd prefer that he doesn't buzz off.

Eponym_mi
01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
I happen to agree with his "BS", so if you don't mind I'd prefer that he doesn't buzz off.

Hope you're not a precinct captain and find something else useful to do then, because the campaign wants people knocking on doors.:rolleyes:

phree
01-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Hope you're not a precinct captain and find something else useful to do then, because the campaign wants people knocking on doors.:rolleyes:

I've done my share of volunteer work, mostly through OLFD in NH. I'm not alone in questioning the effectiveness of our canvasing. There may be some evidence that door to door canvasing works(I'd like to see it), but it would have to depend on the quality of each individual's efforts.

What percentage of people would you estimate are skilled salespeople who can effectively promote anything door to door which is one of the most difficult approaches? Most canvassers would be more effective quietly waving a sign.

FireofLiberty
01-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Tip for talking to people when doing door-to-door canvassing: Study their yard closely, but more importantly, their cars and their doors and the stickers they have on or around them.

You'd be amazed at what you can learn from a person just from that. The issues that are important to them (Sons of Confederate Veterans, NRA, Ducks Unlimited, pro-marijuana, vacation spots, dogs they have, veterans, cancer survivors, etc.).

Example #1:

I notice a "Give Peace a Chance" bumper sticker on car in the drive way.

::ring door bell::

::senior citizen answers the door::

Me: "Good afternoon, ma'am. My name is Garland and I'm a volunteer for the Ron Paul for President campaign. Would you like to know more about the peace candidate running for President?"

Example #2:

I notice an American flag on porch as well as an MIA flag as well as a truck with an American flag, MIA, purple heart recipient sticker and NRA sticker.

::ring door bell::

::senior citizen wearing a military hat answers the door::

Me: "Good evening, sir. My name is... you're a Veteran! That's great! When did you serve?"

Then go from there. They'll be more than happy to tell you. Thank them for their service and then start working in Ron Paul to the conversation, mentioning that you are a volunteer for him at some point and then plug Ron Paul's pro-Second Amendment record and stances and pro-Veterans record and stances. Specifically mention the MIA stuff and all the work he's done in that area. If they mention any health problems they have or bring up the VA talk about how Ron Paul is a doctor himself and would allow veterans to choose their own doctor and get better treatment. Bring up Whitey "Bo" Thompson, the veteran who was awarded 11 Purple Hearts, and mention how Ron Paul helped him receive the medals who earned but never received and got him the medical care that he needed. Bo has said that 'if it weren’t for Congressman Ron Paul, he wouldn’t be alive today.'

Make sure you always take literature with you too (slim jims are great) to give to people and hang on the doors of people who aren't home. The Veteran and Gun Owner Slim Jims would be ideal for a situation like in example #2.

So, just use what you learn from their home and cars to your advantage.

Eponym_mi
01-21-2008, 02:01 PM
it would have to depend on the quality of each individual's efforts.

OK. I can respect that. Yes, people doing door to door canvassing should be presentable, respectful, have decent social skills and manners, and maybe match up somewhat with the demographic in the neighborhood they're canvassing (presumably they would, if they live in the area). So, yeah, if you look like a beggar, have poor social skills, or don't really fit in your neighborhood very well, find something else to do other than be a precinct captain. But knocking on doors and simply talking with people isn't rocket science, and it does work.

libertarian4321
01-21-2008, 02:08 PM

Help me.

I'm a long time Ron Paul supporter, and if someone asked me if I wished to be contacted by the campaign, I'd say "NO!"- people don't want to be bothered. They expect a "yes" answer would open them up to mass emailings, phone calls at dinner time, and all the other crap that comes with getting on a list.

Just give them the information and let them do research for themselves...

Korey Kaczynski
01-21-2008, 02:14 PM
1. Get a friend covered in tattoos. He'll hold the slim jims for you.
2. Get another friend who is African American. He needs to have huge muscles and dreadlocks. He'll carry the yard signs.
3. Wear a trench coat and combat boots. Keep it somewhat open so your 9/11 Truth shirt can be seen.
4. Pound on people's doors.
5. Demand that they vote for Ron Paul. Make your two friends nod in agreement.
6. Hand them a slim jim.
7. Have your black friend put the yard sign in their yard. They'll thank you later!
8. Thank them for their time and move on to the next yard.
9. Stop at the liquor store before going back home to hangout with your friends.

Rhys
01-21-2008, 02:23 PM
It was fucking freezing at Valley Forge.

If you do it your way, it's like not doing it at all.

You're trying to get votes, not sell Delivery Pizza!

Please do it right so we can win. Pretty Please.

NOTE: I thought my fingers would fall off but they didn't. Go MI! My precinct was double the average.