PDA

View Full Version : ABC News on RP MLK Money Bomb

bobbyw24
01-20-2008, 08:38 PM
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/01/ron-paul-statem.html

Ron Paul Statement on MLK Jr.'s Legacy of Freedom
Email

January 20, 2008 6:47 PM

ABC News' Zachary Wolf reports: Ron Paul has mounted a PR offensive since a New Republic reporter unearthed newsletters, bearing his name from 1992, that criticized Martin Luther King Jr. as a philanderer and worse, and argued against the designation of a national holiday in his honor.

Paul disavowed the articles immediately upon the posting of The New Republic article earlier this month, and said he had nothing to do with them.

Tomorrow, organizied at www.freeatlast2008.com, Paul supporters will mount their latest money bomb.

And today, Paul released a statement lauding King and arguing that Paul is the presidential candidate to carry on King's legacy.

Paul's written statement, below, calls King a "great freedom fighter," and says King would be disappointed with the current president's approach toward civil rights.

PAUL STATEMENT:

“It is especially fitting that we take the time to reflect on one man’s struggles to defend our constitutional freedoms during this primary election season. Jan. 15 was the birthday of the great freedom fighter, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and on Monday, we honor him nationwide for his sacrifice and love of liberty for all people.

“To me, the timing is more than a coincidence. The American people, regardless of color or creed, have the opportunity to choose a candidate who will uplift the ideals for which Dr. King fought -- and died.

“The fight for freedom -- the preservation of our civil rights -- is the fight of our lives. Sadly, after Dr. King’s passing, we are faced with a violation of our civil rights in the same vein as Jim Crow: The Patriot Act. I have stood against this and all unconstitutional violations of Americans' civil rights, and will continue Dr. King’s charge, as president.

“Dr. King would be disappointed in our current administration for more than its continued disregard for civil rights, as he stated: ‘a nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift, is approaching spiritual doom.’

We need to change our interventionist foreign policy, and take care of our brothers and sisters at home. Our nation is in a crisis: we are spending billions on war overseas, while those around us are suffering and losing jobs, homes, and hope. It is inexcusable; we must solve the economic crisis at home, and bring hope to America.

“Dr. King’s heroic actions should resonate with us today, as we recognize that our votes strengthen the fight for our civil rights. Liberty is the true antidote to racism, and freedom -- limited, constitutional government devoted to the protection of individual rights -- can uplift us all.”

January 20, 2008 | Permalink | User Comments (5)

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/433071/25314762

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Ron Paul Statement on MLK Jr.'s Legacy of Freedom:

User Comments

How is it that RON PAUL is honoring Dr. King but Barack Obama isn't? Doesn't that seem a little weird? Where's Hilliary or Bill for that matter? (You know the "1st Black President", so he claims; Nevermind... I hear he's busy slinging mud at Obama and fighting HER battles for her) Where's Edwards? Don't worry, I won't bother mentioning any Republicans.

Posted by: rw3 | Jan 20, 2008 7:44:27 PM

Paul,is are both terrible. He wants our national security and the war on terror to go on the back burner. Now is the time to step things up. We need to tell terrorists we will NOT tolerate them. We do not need to embolden them by "backing out of iraq" as hillary and obama want to do. If we do this I guarantee Suitcase nukes will be next amd then it will make 9/11 look like nothing in comparison. We need another president like george bush who will keep our national security in check

Posted by: jack | Jan 20, 2008 8:31:35 PM

Allan,

As I said before, if we pull out the terrorists will become emboldened and attack us on our own soil. As george W said "you can't negotiate" with terrorists. THe terrorists will stop at nothing than to te the world, and it would be foolish to think otherwise. Case closed.

Posted by: jack | Jan 20, 2008 9:18:16 PM

What's more likely to incite violence against America from the middle east? Occupation and indiscriminate killing of civilians, or telling them to work out their differences among the

gracebkr
01-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I feel sorry for the repliers. I used to be that way and it was not fun. I learned though, that only God controls my fate. I will live free and if I die, I die. I will not die without a fight though and the fight is closer to home than I ever imagined.

GodOfThunder
01-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Looks like Jack has watched too many episodes of "24".

wfd40
01-20-2008, 10:14 PM
wow... that is one hell of a letter from Dr. Paul.

I mean, seriously.. that about sums the whole thing up imo.

Dr. Paul can say its not really about him and that he is only the messenger, but the further along we get, the more I'm beginning to believe that it is, in fact, Dr. Paul... who is the true symbol of everything that is good and great in America right now.

:)

MoonShine
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
ABC News' Zachary Wolf reports: Ron Paul has mounted a PR offensive since a New Republic reporter unearthed newsletters, bearing his name from 1992, that criticized Martin Luther King Jr. as a philanderer and worse, and argued against the designation of a national holiday in his honor.

Paul disavowed the articles immediately upon the posting of The New Republic article earlier this month, and said he had nothing to do with them.

PAUL STATEMENT:

“It is especially fitting that we take the time to reflect on one man’s struggles to defend our constitutional freedoms during this primary election season. Jan. 15 was the birthday of the great freedom fighter, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and on Monday, we honor him nationwide for his sacrifice and love of liberty for all people.

I like Dr. Paul but he forgot to mention about King's flirtation (or maybe affiliation) with the communist party. The 1992 newsletters had it right in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King%2C_Jr.

King had a mutually antagonistic relationship with the FBI, especially its director, J. Edgar Hoover. Under written directives from Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, the FBI began tracking King and the SCLC in 1961. Its investigations were largely superficial until 1962, when it learned that one of King's most trusted advisers was New York City lawyer Stanley Levison. The FBI found that Levison had been involved with the Communist Party USA—to which another key King lieutenant, Hunter Pitts O'Dell, was also linked by sworn testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC).

bolidew
01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
So the MSM are watching this bomb?!

LiveFreeorDie
01-20-2008, 10:41 PM
So the MSM are watching this bomb?!

Yes. We can and must make a statement.

Detonator
01-20-2008, 10:53 PM
"If we do this I guarantee Suitcase nukes will be next amd then it will make 9/11 look like nothing in comparison."
I hear this so often. To quote Kim Jong-Il from Team America World Police; "Why is everyone so fucking stupid?"