PDA

View Full Version : for some reason part of the Cuban community in South Florida is trash mouthing RP

rodo1776
01-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't know why but part of the Cuban community has a hatred for Ron Paul. This is not all of them by any means but a certain radical segment seems to be saying bad things. I thin kthey fell for the same MSM crap as many others.
Can we all maybe say something here about how Ron Paul would love to help free Cuba from the dictatorship of Fidel and that in fact there should be no reason to be enemies?
What do you think?
Many of these people were for Fred Thompson but as you know we have taken Freddy boy out of the picture. (no way he can keep up with RP heh?)
OK so please post here and tell the Cubans how RP would help them in their quest to free Cuba.
It may mean some good votes for Florida.
Thanks Nevada and SC. the fight is still on.
We will change America.

shrugged0106
01-20-2008, 07:20 PM
I's imagine most of them hate Castro so much that the Dr's words upset them

KewlRonduderules
01-20-2008, 07:21 PM
He wants to open up trade with fidel castro. A large portion of the Cuban community HATES him.

freelance
01-20-2008, 07:22 PM
This is Ileana Ros-Lehtinen country and she's very supportive of Bush policies. That could be a big reason why.

TruePatriot44
During the Hispanic debate, Ron Paul said we should speak to all nations, including Castro's Cuba. The Cubans in Miami didn't like that one bit.

Staupostek
Didn't Ron Paul advocate lifting the embargo on Cuba and opening up trade with them as part of his "free trade with all nations" stance? This would probably tick off those in south FL from Cuba who don't want any US contact with them.

Redcard
01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Uh..

Ridding Cuba of Fidel Castro and helping the cuban people is NOT what Ron Paul wants to do. Remember? NON-Intervetionist?

Sey.Naci
01-20-2008, 07:24 PM
You need to do some reading up of Cuban history (from the source - don't trust US propaganda), not to mention the involvement of the US in connection with it. Many wealthy Cubans, who had become so due to US interference, fled with the advent of Castro. In other words, the history is not what you may think.

rfbz
01-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Why wouldn't Cubans here want to help their people back home by improving our relations with them? It seems like the embargo doesn't hurt Castro, it just hurts the people.

steph3n
01-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Didn't Ron Paul advocate lifting the embargo on Cuba and opening up trade with them as part of his "free trade with all nations" stance? This would probably tick off those in south FL from Cuba who don't want any US contact with them.

yes that is part of it. The majority of the cubans are dead set against any trade with cuba. The younger generation however is very open to it, I don't understand why they can't see a failed policy after so many years.

It probably doesn't help that the ron Paul HQ is right there in the middle with huge 8x4 signs and tons of yard signs out front either!

Sey.Naci
01-20-2008, 07:25 PM
During the Hispanic debate, Ron Paul said we should speak to all nations, including Castro's Cuba. The Cubans in Miami didn't like that one bit.No, they wouldn't. They had been the wealthy elite before Castro.

bbachtung
01-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Their blind hatred of Castro has left them incapable of reason; they can't admit that our 45 year-old embargo has not done anything to hurt Castro or his government.

rodo1776
01-20-2008, 07:29 PM
keep those ideas coming the cubans need to hear it. thanks

Lou337
01-20-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm from Cuba and to tell you the truth around hialeah all we've heard is anyone but Hillary. Usually Obama and Romney get mentioned but no one else. We have a republican's club at my old high school and I'm told the little leader there hates Paul for some reason. There's also a Rudy sign in one of the houses front of the school.

I can tell you that trade with Cuba here is a double-edged sword topic. On the one hand if you open up trade, the people there would supposedly be able to afford more food ( I can tell you about the ration lines). On the other hand, there is the thought that anything that helps Castro get more money just leaves the party in power longer.

I don't know how Dr. Paul would word it but it would have to sound like it helps Cubans there while not helping Castro. Kinda hard to phrase.

steph3n
01-20-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm from Cuba and to tell you the truth around hialeah all we've heard is anyone but Hillary. Usually Obama and Romney get mentioned but no one else. We have a republican's club at my old high school and I'm told the little leader there hates Paul for some reason. There's also a Rudy sign in one of the houses front of the school.

I can tell you that trade with Cuba here is a double-edged sword topic. On the one hand if you open up trade, the people there would supposedly be able to afford more food ( I can tell you about the ration lines). On the other hand, there is the thought that anything that helps Castro get more money just leaves the party in power longer.

I don't know how Dr. Paul would word it but it would have to sound like it helps Cubans there while not helping Castro. Kinda hard to phrase.

I know two cuban RP supporters and they said they got kicked off the table during the holidays due to talking politics.....oops........oh well at least we have a younger generation that is willing to be different.

rodo1776
01-20-2008, 07:35 PM
hey lou337 I hear you It is a tough issue. Do you think that RP has soem support there in haialeah or do you see that this cuban population as a whole is like for fred or anything?

Lou337
01-20-2008, 07:36 PM
The younger generation in my area are generally idiots. I think the teen phase takes a little longer to wear off here in FL. Maybe it's the sun or something.

steph3n
01-20-2008, 07:36 PM
hey lou337 I hear you It is a tough issue. Do you think that RP has soem support there in haialeah or do you see that this cuban population as a whole is like for fred or anything?

it has been rudy from those i speak to(or family of the RP supporter)

michaelwise
01-20-2008, 07:37 PM
The Cuban government would get no money in foreign aid from our government under a Ron Paul Presidency.

rodo1776
01-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Lou Any chance you can talk sense to the more radical element of the Cuban community? And how about the just average Cuban American in Hialeah? I mean are they pretty much the same as any American or are they all really crazy about the embargo etc.

Lou337
01-20-2008, 07:40 PM
rodo1776, I haven't really seen much of anyone here for fred. I've mostly seen Romney bumper stickers and yard signs in the miami springs area, one hillary bumper sticker, one guiliani yard sign, and a ron paul sign here put up by one of the meetup groups. I think they don't know about him.

Down here everyone who is hispanic will mostly watch "Telemundo" or "Univision," which I think is a fox or some other msm affiliate...at least that's what I remember hearing.

steph3n
01-20-2008, 07:41 PM
rodo1776, I haven't really seen much of anyone here for fred. I've mostly seen Romney bumper stickers and yard signs in the miami springs area, one hillary bumper sticker, one guiliani yard sign, and a ron paul sign here put up by one of the meetup groups. I think they don't know about him.

Down here everyone who is hispanic will mostly watch "Telemundo" or "Univision," which I think is a fox or some other msm affiliate...at least that's what I remember hearing.
it is NBC just FYI :D

Redcard
01-20-2008, 07:41 PM
The Cuban government would get no money in foreign aid from our government under a Ron Paul Presidency.

Not only that, they'd get Guantanemo Bay back.

Lou337
01-20-2008, 07:43 PM
NBC, there ya go. :)

rodo1776
01-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Lou thanks for the info. Any idea what we can do to make these people understand that Ron Paul while maybe he would end the embargo that he really is a guy that believes in human rights and that basically RP knows that Fidel is a dictator and would do everything he could to peacefully and without invading the country try to help establish a free Cuba once Fidel is dead. Which hopefully will be soon right?

Lou337
01-20-2008, 07:46 PM
My uncle likes Guiliani but he can't vote. It's kinda hard to talk him out of it too since he's mostly deaf. O_O My mom is a real estate agent which I think would be good since home sales here are really really messed up. Everyone's selling but nobody's buying.

Redcard
01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Lou thanks for the info. Any idea what we can do to make these people understand that Ron Paul while maybe he would end the embargo that he really is a guy that believes in human rights and that basically RP knows that Fidel is a dictator and would do everything he could to peacefully and without invading the country try to help establish a free Cuba once Fidel is dead. Which hopefully will be soon right?

No, he wouldn't.

Look, the term "NON-INTERVENTIONIST" means that we don't tell other countries what to do. Yes, he would push for human rights and everything , but he wouldn't set up embargoes or tarriffs or the like.

If you want to push Ron Paul, push the fact that he'd want fair trade and commerce.. and that fair trade with cuba means that eventually the cubans MIGHT choose to run their country instead of having it run for them.

Lou337
01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
I think most Cubans here haven't grasped the concept of the Patrioct Acts and the losses of privacy. Either that or they've blocked them out. They're really more concerned about home prices, mortgages, and the economy.

Not to mention the elderly who are concerned with social security, retirement, and health care.

I think they haven't for the most part noticed the loss of civil liberties because they haven't experienced them much in Florida.

rodo1776
01-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Lou so you think the economic situation like home prices etc and jobs maybe have really screwed up the economy there where most Cuban American live?
Can they at see the tie in with the federal reserve and how the Bush administration has really led up to this housing bubble?
I mean also how do they seethe war? Are a lot of Cuban Americans dying and getting their arms blown off like the rest of the American Population or do you see less Cuban Americans volunteering for service then the rest of the population in general.
Thanks man you are a wealth of info.

michaelwise
01-20-2008, 07:54 PM
My uncle likes Guiliani but he can't vote. It's kinda hard to talk him out of it too since he's mostly deaf. O_O My mom is a real estate agent which I think would be good since home sales here are really really messed up. Everyone's selling but nobody's buying.Is Guiliani going to do anything about the Federal Reserve which caused your moms real estate business to be lousy? No, but Ron Paul will.

rodo1776
01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Right on. The market sucks and people think that any of these neocons will fix the problem without a total overhaul of the fed like RP would do. No way the real estate market will sink further unless we let RP and his policies prevail.

Lou337
01-20-2008, 08:04 PM
rodo1776,

well, we like credit cards what can I say. I know my mom has at least 10 from many places. from Citgo to Sears to Best Buy to Shell...

So most people here are kind of in debt. A lot of people here do foreclosures to get some money to move out of their house. The thing is that everyone wants to go somewhere where houses and cost of living is cheaper. Here the gas is 3.13 I think. It's not that the economy here is so screwed up...it's more like not many are hiring and those who are aren't paying much. It's mostly the cost of living.

The thing is no one is buying houses. Everyone is selling to get more money either to move somewhere cheaper, or to have some money to save up for retirement. I would say the economy and health care as well as social security are the way to go here in FL.

I really don't think they know anything about the federal reserve. Many dissaprove of Bush, but they don't know much about his policies. The war...it depends on who you talk to. Here it's more like well we're over there and there were no weapons of mass destruction and it's just for the oil...but no one really talks about getting out. I think they have the "It'll destabilize the region" mentality. Generally I really don't see Cubans joining the army to go fight.

At my campus we have marine recruiters there trying to get kids in. They're like 18 and 19 year old kids and SO ARE THE RECRUITERS. I ran into an old friend of mine from elementary who was recruiting there and she still looks the same height as she was in 5th grade. We're kinda short down here and Cuban mothers who have fought to get their kids to the US are violently opposed to them joining any military service arm.

Lou337
01-20-2008, 08:06 PM
michaelwise, I wasn't saying guiliani would help the real estate business. Was saying my mom is undecided and that RP's policies would help her. I know, so how is she undecided? She's mostly too worried about finding a job than listening to politics.

TheEchoPlaza
01-20-2008, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't get near any of those Cuban exile guys, honestly. They hate Castro and they couldn't give a crap about the constitution or non-interventionism. Your liable to get your ass kicked if you actually tried to start conversation with some them about Ron Paul because they are single issue voters, they want the guy who seems the most likely to invade Cuba and kill Castro!

Carole
01-20-2008, 08:10 PM
If you recall at the debate Univision I think, Ron Paul was booed when he mentioned re-establishing relations with Cuba.

rodo1776
01-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Very interesting Lou. I would think that anyone from a Cuban American background would even if they were second generation would be gung ho to go over and defend the country. I mean the whole Idea in Cuba is that people don't have any rights at all and can't even leave the country.
Anyone who basically should be now American but yet also proud of their Cuban American heritage should be proud to fight for-the country.
However also they should be smart enough as you mention to know that the whole war is a farce and was a lie that Bush and his cronies put out on us.

Lord Xar
01-20-2008, 08:12 PM
see, this is why i get frustrated..

ECONOMICS IS HUGE... INFLATION AND OUR ECONOMY IS BUSTING!!!

WHERE ARE THE RON PAUL ADS DEALING WITH THIS!!!! Not some "foreclosure signs" that say nothing.

I am talking about REAL SMART TALK WITH RON PAUL TALKING and all of that..

He could make all the other candidates capitulate.. if he would just get smart with his ads..

Lou337
01-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't get near any of those Cuban exile guys, honestly. They hate Castro and they couldn't give a crap about the constitution or non-interventionism. Your liable to get your ass kicked if you actually tried to start conversation with some them about Ron Paul because they are single issue voters, they want the guy who seems the most likely to invade Cuba and kill Castro!

I agree with the single issue voting. Many here say hey castro is a dictator...but there's no oil so we haven't invaded. Although who knows that might change since some oil reserves have been found in Cuba or been looked at for development, can't remember which one.

What I usually see is that Cubans like someone who will fix the economy, so that they can make money, so that they can send money to family in cuba to either feed them or get them out.

Lou337
01-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Oh, no. Trust me they KNOW that there's no civil liberties in Cuba. It's just that since we've had them here in Florida and have gotten used to them we tend to link that up with killing castro. Goes something like...

Kill Castro=Civil rights for cubans in cuba.

rodo1776
01-20-2008, 08:16 PM

Echo Plaza yeh I hear you. You know from what I can see most Cuban Americans are really good people. You know like anyone who migrated here and worked hard and built a life and became part of the country. But you are right that there are some of these people I don't know I think they call them Miami Mafia and we can't do anything about them. They basically screw up and give a bad impression of all the rest. Any thoughts on that Lou?

pcosmar
01-20-2008, 08:17 PM
He wants to open up trade with fidel castro. A large portion of the Cuban community HATES him.

Nope, He wants trade with the Cuban people.
It was the trade and exchange that brought down the USSR. People wanted the good stuff that comes from Capitalism.
Open Trade will kill Castro faster than the embargo ever could.
With open travel ideas and information could cross the straits freely.
It is a win win for the people of Cuba and those that want to Free it.

pcosmar
01-20-2008, 08:20 PM

Really, i knew some. They are Cuban Patriots. They are ready to fight for their country.
I wish more Americans had their balls.

CaliforniaGold
01-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Sounds like Ghoul is threatened and putting stuff in his speeches out there to cause problems.
He SHOULD feel threatened that Ron Paul has beaten him in every primary! lol

Lou337
01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Never heard of the Miami Mafia though I wouldn't doubt it if it existed. But yeah rodo1776, those would be the extremely "machista" or very manly take-action-now cubans. Older cubans tend to think of cuba and rarely of america and couldn't really care much about what happens to it as long as cuba is okay. I'm guessing it's from their experiences of trying to fight castro off & losing relatives who opposed him.

LBT
01-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Cuba is a country with a history of bad economics and perhaps resistance to introducing new ideas (This was certainly true in China also). Standing out or rocking the boat is dangerous in communist countries.

It's little wonder that most cubans here in the US aren't grasping the new ideas that Ron Paul is proposing. It will take some time for new ideas to disseminate.

rodo1776
01-20-2008, 08:34 PM
yeah I guess I can understand that. If you lost everything and eve relatives with Castro killing them then you would still be thinking about the old days or whatever. but I think in general most Cuban Americans have assimilated ad done well don't you think? Haven't they for the most part other than the economic problems that the whole country are feeling arn't they in basically the same shape?

hasan
01-20-2008, 08:36 PM
opening trade up works. just look at china they were (technically are) a communist country like cuba but opened up to trade and it has worked wonders for them. This is probably the message we should be preaching to them

Lou337
01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I think it will be those cubans have been more assimilated into american culture that would be more receptive of Dr. Paul's economics.

There's many cubans here who have been residents for 20 or more years and haven't thought of becoming citizens because they feel they have the same rights as citizens and wouldn't get much more by voting. Cost of citizenship recently went up to $800 a person I believe. We don't really care about electing the governor for some reason...but electing the mayors around here is supposedly a big deal because residents can vote.

Rebel Resource
01-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Nope, He wants trade with the Cuban people.
It was the trade and exchange that brought down the USSR. People wanted the good stuff that comes from Capitalism.
Open Trade will kill Castro faster than the embargo ever could.
With open travel ideas and information could cross the straits freely.
It is a win win for the people of Cuba and those that want to Free it.

Castro won't allow the everyday Cuban to trade, how can they? Most barely have enough paycheck to survive the month.

Ron would permit trade with the Cuban government, and that would increase the well-being of everyone in Cuba, because in that system a rising tide lifts all boats. The influx of American tourists would be massive for Cuba.