PDA

View Full Version : Can delagates change their mind at the GOP convention?

ProBlue33
01-20-2008, 06:53 PM
I was just wondering if the delagates are allowed to change their minds who they are voting for once at the convention?

For example lets say some McCain delegates find out the guy they support wants to be in Iraq for 100 years, and they disagree with it, and decide to put their support behind sombebody else. Are they allowed to do that?

UtahApocalypse
01-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Depends state by state. In Utah the delegates are bound to volte the primary election winner in the first round of voting. After that they can vote however they want.

tangent4ronpaul
01-20-2008, 06:56 PM
It's different for every state.

-n

JustBcuz
01-20-2008, 06:56 PM
I was just wondering if the delagates are allowed to change their minds who they are voting for once at the convention?

For example lets say some McCain delegates find out the guy they support wants to be in Iraq for 100 years, and they disagree with it, and decide to put their support behind sombebody else. Are they allowed to do that?

It depends on what state they come from.

In Nevada, delegates are unbound and can change their minds at any time.

In other states, the National delegates are bound, by law, to vote for their candidate. Usually they are bound for 2-3 votes. After that they can change their mind. This also varies from state to state.

Be sure you know YOUR states rules.

ProBlue33
01-20-2008, 06:58 PM
What if a winner of a state is out, and not even in the race anymore, where do all those delagates go? Or for example the Hunter delagate, now that he is out. Can't they choose where to vote?

JustBcuz
01-20-2008, 07:01 PM
What if a winner of a state is out, and not even in the race anymore, where do all those delagates go? Or for example the Hunter delagate, now that he is out. Can't they choose where to vote?

Depends on the state.

They may be assigned, or they may be released to choose whoever they like.

ProBlue33
01-20-2008, 07:11 PM
I guess may point is this, could people change their minds for Ron Paul at the convention, lets say he has 300 delagates, and then 10% come over from the other guys because they changed their minds in the first round of voting, producing no clear winners

freelance
01-20-2008, 07:13 PM
I guess may point is this, could people change their minds for Ron Paul at the convention, lets say he has 300 delagates, and then 10% come over from the other guys because they changed their minds in the first round of voting, producing no clear winners

Yes, that CAN happen, but again, it depends on the state. I think that some states bind their delegates for two rounds, but I cannot swear to it.

Cyclone
01-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Also, if their candidate drops out, they can vote for whoever they want.

american.swan
01-20-2008, 08:08 PM
This is partially true for the electoral college too.????????

Redcard
01-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Same rules apply for the electoral college. Some states are bound fully, some are bound partially. There is a difference, though, with the EC. If the EC does not produce a 51% winner, then the House and Senate choose the VP and Pres.