PDA

View Full Version : Can't FAUX get sued?

plb
01-20-2008, 03:19 PM
The way they manipulate seems borderline illegal. I wish someone would sue them...that's about the only way to get some media coverage for Ron Paul it seems.

JuniorNJ
01-20-2008, 03:20 PM
It's been tried and I'm sure you know who won that case...

Redcard
01-20-2008, 03:20 PM
For what?

You don't think the democrats have been saying this and looking for things for YEARS?

Look, this is nothing new. As a Democratic Ron Paul supporter , you're now realizing the game that the republicans have been playing with Fox that we've known about for the past decade. I'm sorry that it's a harsh realization, but, my advice is to just turn it off and ignore it.

fuzzybekool
01-20-2008, 03:23 PM
For what?

You don't think the democrats have been saying this and looking for things for YEARS?

Look, this is nothing new. As a Democratic Ron Paul supporter , you're now realizing the game that the republicans have been playing with Fox that we've known about for the past decade. I'm sorry that it's a harsh realization, but, my advice is to just turn it off and ignore it.

Ya, but fox has donated more money to Hillary Clinton than to Republican candidates lol. WTF ?

Redcard
01-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Ya, but fox has donated more money to Hillary Clinton than to Republican candidates lol. WTF ?

Well, that depends.

See, Fox is owned by Rupert Murdoch.. but he also owns Sky, and a bunch of other outlets.. and he uses those outlets to donate money too. By and large, when you take all of Rupert's holdings and add up all the various markets, he supports republicans on a rate of about five to one.

Wyurm
01-20-2008, 03:39 PM
The way they manipulate seems borderline illegal. I wish someone would sue them...that's about the only way to get some media coverage for Ron Paul it seems.

Been done. The lawsuit was lost because the court found that there is no law requiring Fox or any media to tell the truth. This was a case where Fox fired a reporter for telling the truth about the Bovine Growth Hormone's dangers. Fox reported that the court threw out her case because the court found that she did not have a case against Fox. The truth was that the court threw out her case because Fox is legally allowed to lie it's butt off.

Acidlump
01-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Didn't Ron announce on the pre-NH Jay Leno interview that his campain was suing Fox for Fraud because of the whole debate exclusion thing.

Redcard
01-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Didn't Ron announce on the pre-NH Jay Leno interview that his campain was suing Fox for Fraud because of the whole debate exclusion thing.

Heh.

It's kinda ironic that a man for free trade and less regulation in business wants the government to punish a business for common refusal to treat.

jrich4rpaul
01-20-2008, 03:58 PM
I think there's something about "freedom of the press" or something.

Wyurm
01-20-2008, 03:59 PM

It was a joke. I don't get why so many people can't see the joke in it. When I heard him say that I was laughing my arse off.

AisA1787

He said that he would sue Fox, but it was tongue-in-cheek... he said he'd sue them for fraud because they claimed to be "fair and balanced" but really weren't

mokkan88
For what?

Actually, Republicans know Faux is full of crap too. Just like MSNBC and CNN are full of crap. ;)

AisA1787
01-20-2008, 04:02 PM
For what?

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4906/nvqo0.jpg

Redcard
01-20-2008, 04:11 PM
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4906/nvqo0.jpg

And is anything on that screen a direct lie?

Manipulative, yes. Suggestive, of course.

But is any of it a lie?

Look, you're saying that fox should be sued because of what? An agenda?

Welcome to 2008, man. Fox has had an agenda from the moment Clinton got a blow job.

Opiner
01-20-2008, 05:13 PM
I think you are mistaken to think they do not break laws if they willingly broadcast false information. However I understand the way the media have been behaving lately you would think you live in a lawless land. Slandering, defamation, distortion, manipulation and conspiring against the people are crimes that are all too common nowadays. They act like they are untouchable perhaps because there are few people willing to hold them accountable and sue them. You can file a complaint here.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/journalism.html

Redcard
01-20-2008, 05:14 PM
I think you are mistaken to think they do not break laws if they willingly broadcast false information. However I understand the way the media have been behaving lately you would think you live in a lawless land. Slandering, defamation, distortion, manipulation and conspiring against the people are crimes that are all too common nowadays. They act like they are untouchable perhaps because there are few people willing to hold them accountable and sue them. You can file a complaint here.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/journalism.html

Not mentioning Ron Paul in your graphics is not LYING. It's just not being completely truthful.

rexsolomon
01-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Not mentioning Ron Paul in your graphics is not LYING. It's just not being completely truthful.

The Faux Graphic shows McCain at 15%. That is blatantly false.

Here is the final tally for Nevada:

Romney 22,649 51% 18 100% reporting
Paul 6,087 14% 4
McCain 5,651 13% 4
Huckabee 3,616 8% 2
Thompson 3,521 8% 2
Giuliani 1,910 4% 1

The Constitution grants the media with a lot of freedoms so that the People will always have the chance to discern the TRUTH.

So there should be a very special penalty for any media group that aims to twist the news for their OWN ends.

Should Faux be sued by misleading the people to think that McCain earned 15% of the Nevada votes?

YES - if the snapshot in time (i.e. Romney at 46%) can be proven to be manipulated by Faux.

Opiner
01-20-2008, 05:32 PM

I wasn't exactly refering to this particular instance, I was talking about the overal coverage of the media recently.

Dibold
01-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Fox news has been sued before and won in court. The reason they won was because quote "we are not a news source, we are for entertainment purposes only and never claim our information to be accurate."

Redcard
01-20-2008, 05:42 PM
The Faux Graphic shows McCain at 15%. That is blatantly false.

The graphic in question showed the votes at <1% of the precinct reporting. At the time, they were likely true.

YOUR numbers are FINAL numbers.

FreeTraveler
01-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Heh.

It's kinda ironic that a man for free trade and less regulation in business wants the government to punish a business for common refusal to treat.

That was a joke on Leno!

rexsolomon
01-20-2008, 06:07 PM
The graphic in question showed the votes at <1% of the precinct reporting. At the time, they were likely true.

YOUR numbers are FINAL numbers.

That is the reason for the last line:

YES - if the snapshot in time (i.e. Romney at 46%) can be proven to be manipulated by Faux.

The final Romney number was 51%.

BTW, reporting on Presidential Caucuses or Primaries cannot be considered 'Entertainment' - legally speaking.

Opiner
01-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Fox news has been sued before and won in court. The reason they won was because quote "we are not a news source, we are for entertainment purposes only and never claim our information to be accurate."

It doesn't matter what they say, if you think what they are doing is wrong then you probably can make a case. In this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxRrzLkn66Q) they shamelessly misreport the results in Nevada. It could become upsetting at times.

Iwantchange
01-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Unless you have substantial evidence, the "smoking gun". Your not going to go very far. The other aspect to this is, you have to have serious money to throw at the legal suit, otherwise it's pointless. A legal suit is only as good as the money supporting it.

The only thing you can really do, like any big business, is effect their wallet. If you effect their wallet i.e. quit watching fox news and their sponsors then you can get them to do the right thing, but until then, they'll continue to blur the lines of "news".