PDA

View Full Version : David Yepsin on Paul & the rest of the "second tier"

stevedasbach
07-29-2007, 05:45 AM
The following is from an interview with Iowa Political Commentator David Yepsin in the Pittsburg paper.
http://themoderatevoice.com/politics/14264/the-key-to-winning-iowa-is-electability/

The key point is that Paul is expected to finish near the bottom of the pack (not second) so we have a real opportunity to pull an upset here. Also, we need to stress that only an anti-war Republican like Ron Paul can win in 2008.

Of course, Yepsin is right that Paul needs to spend more time in Iowa. Hopefully that will happen soon.

Q: Ron Paul is a Pittsburgh native and he is as libertarian as any Republican can ever get in this century. Is it possible for him to surprise anybody?

A: Not really. His views are too far out of synch with activist Republicans. He’s made a couple trips into the state. He needs to make more if he wants to really get something going here. He does attract some younger Republicans — 20-somethings. Yet if you talk to those people, a lot of them are not even from Iowa. Young people are notorious for not showing up at caucuses. So I don’t think Ron Paul’s prospects in Iowa are very good because his message isn’t in synch with where Republican caucus-goers are. Also, he’s not spending enough time on task here.

Q: Now that Giuliani and McCain are not taking part in the Aug. 11 Republican straw poll, does that poll mean anything to the winners or losers?

A: Yes. Everyone expects Romney to win … . But the straw poll is still important in terms of the second-tier candidates sorting themselves out — Sam Brownback, Tom Tancredo, Mike Huckabee, Tommy Thompson. They put something into this state and they’ve got to get something going and this is the way they do it. I would imagine one of those four may not be able to stay in the race as a result of a poor showing in the straw poll. That is the traditional role that the straw poll has played. Iowa winnows the field of candidates, and the straw poll is just one thing that will cut one or two of them down. Huckabee or Brownback, if they lose to the other, they really will be hard-pressed to raise money.

Slugg
07-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Well, if we expected a surprise it wouldn't be a surprise...so...hopefully we're suprised.

beermotor
07-29-2007, 07:49 AM
The straw poll is pretty meaningless for Paul, in terms of his national campaign. He will continue to be able to raise enough money to continue on, whether he wins or not. A win would just be a very nice thing, and propel him a little faster. But he's in this for the long haul, regardless. And that's our point, after all - keeping the Message of Liberty on the national stage for as long as we possibly can. Win or lose, that is our fight. The Brownbacks and Huckabees of the world as just useless wastes of life - whether they win or lose means nothing in the long term, because they have NO Message.

And while I respect Tancredo's fire on the immigration thing, I think he is not interested in the job, ultimately, and will bow out soon enough. Hunter is a miserable failure, in my opinion, worse than warmonger McCain. I expect the "herd" to get thinned out prior to November of this year to the "top 3" plus Paul.

stevedasbach
07-29-2007, 08:20 AM
We may not see anyone formally dropout until January -- they need to stay in until then to qualify for federal matching funds.

Bradley in DC
07-29-2007, 08:24 AM
We may not see anyone formally dropout until January -- they need to stay in until then to qualify for federal matching funds.

Tancredo will have to file for re-election to Congress before that, I think. Tommy Thompson and Huckabee have basically said they're out if they don't win or come in the top four, respectively, in Ames.