PDA

View Full Version : Role of Religion and Government

DeadtoSin
01-20-2008, 02:58 PM
*Note* I am a Christian, and I originally wrote this for Christians. This is kind of my very short and early rough draft on my beliefs on religion in government. I know it says "we as Christians" occasionally, because I sent a message similar to this to my friends. If anyone wants to help me evolve some of my ideas, I would appreciate it.

I'm probably going to end up writing quite a long article about this subject to help convince fellow Christians on which way they should vote.

First of all, I'm kind of wary of us trying to get the federal government to do our job for us. Thats sort of what I feel like we as Christians are really doing in government as of lately. I'm not talking about voting against what you believe, and things like that. Definitely, vote for the candidate that fits your ideals the closest. However, we really push Congress and the Judiciary to enforce our morals.

I have a problem with this. First off, I think we should be careful about the way we go about bringing morality to this nation. Doing it with the iron first of the Federal government is a scary road to turn down. Just think of the abuses the government could get away with if they had not only the power but the moral high ground to do it as well!

Also, consider how non-Christians perceive us. If they are REQUIRED to act in the same fashion as we are, how are we any different from they are? Obviously we know the difference, but a non-Christian person would feel no compulsion to make any commitment, and they'd see no real reason.

It really goes back to the Pharisees and their desire to live a holy life by doing it themselves. Sure, if we had a law against lying, people wouldn't lie. But think about it, does that really make them more holy? Only the desire to live a life like Christ's life and your belief in Him saves you. So when we force our ideals on people, you've got to think, is that man trying to live holy..or is he trying to not get arrested/fined?

In any case, I've been rather unhappy with the Federal government's decisions on social issues. I mean, look at Roe vs. Wade. Do we really want something like THAT case on the books for all the things we hold dear to us as Christians?

We should be shining God's love, not trying to force the Federal govt to do so.

DeadtoSin
01-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Hah, nobody?

Jodi's mom
01-20-2008, 03:32 PM
*Note* I am a Christian, and I originally wrote this for Christians. This is kind of my very short and early rough draft on my beliefs on religion in government. I know it says "we as Christians" occasionally, because I sent a message similar to this to my friends. If anyone wants to help me evolve some of my ideas, I would appreciate it.

I'm probably going to end up writing quite a long article about this subject to help convince fellow Christians on which way they should vote.

First of all, I'm kind of wary of us trying to get the federal government to do our job for us. Thats sort of what I feel like we as Christians are really doing in government as of lately. I'm not talking about voting against what you believe, and things like that. Definitely, vote for the candidate that fits your ideals the closest. However, we really push Congress and the Judiciary to enforce our morals.

There is nothing wrong with the Constitution as it is. Some believe, and I agree, that it is a divinely inspired document.

I have a problem with this. First off, I think we should be careful about the way we go about bringing morality to this nation. Doing it with the iron first of the Federal government is a scary road to turn down. Just think of the abuses the government could get away with if they had not only the power but the moral high ground to do it as well!

The only way to bring morality to this nation is for each and every Christian to "let their light so shine before the world", in other words, set an example. Repent of our sins, do unto others as we'd have them do unto to us, (keep the law), etc. I shouldn't have to tell true Christians the rules. They should know them. The big question is, "Are they keeping them?"

Also, consider how non-Christians perceive us. If they are REQUIRED to act in the same fashion as we are, how are we any different from they are? Obviously we know the difference, but a non-Christian person would feel no compulsion to make any commitment, and they'd see no real reason.

It really goes back to the Pharisees and their desire to live a holy life by doing it themselves. Sure, if we had a law against lying, people wouldn't lie. But think about it, does that really make them more holy? Only the desire to live a life like Christ's life and your belief in Him saves you. So when we force our ideals on people, you've got to think, is that man trying to live holy..or is he trying to not get arrested/fined?

This is partially addressed above. God knows that morality cannot be legislated. That's why He took our heart of stone and gave us one of flesh. It has to come from each and every individual who has committed their lives to Him.

In any case, I've been rather unhappy with the Federal government's decisions on social issues. I mean, look at Roe vs. Wade. Do we really want something like THAT case on the books for all the things we hold dear to us as Christians?

If our country had a many Christians as we think there is, would Roe vs. Wade passed in the first place? How many Christian girls/women have had abortions? How many Christian boys/men paid for those abortions?

The sad thing about it is this: America is no longer a Christian nation. It is a nation full of sinners and hypocrits. We have churches on just about every corner of our residential streets, and thousands are there on Sunday morning for what, I'm not sure.

We should be shining God's love, not trying to force the Federal govt to do so.

Yes, we should be living our lives as an example for the world just as God planned for us to do when He gave us this land of milk and honey...and to be a light unto the world. And we did for awhile, then Christians got soft and lazy and decided we would let the government teach our children (everyone should read the history of the public school system. It will surprise you!); then later the churches got greedy and decided they'd give up their 1st amendment rights to be tax exempt and keep all the money.

I was thinking before I read your post, Dead to Sin, that God put Ron Paul before this nation and said, "Follow him!" I believe everyone who has followed Ron and supported him are God's children even if they don't know it. I believe Ron has been placed in a position to bring us together. I don't believe he even wanted to do this, but answer the call as he knows in his heart Who called him. Since the battle is against indefeatable odds (seemingly, anyway), I'm wondering, "Then why go through all this trouble and money....for what??" Could the answer be to show us the truth about our nation? To call those who are God's to repentance because the end of all things is at hand?

I think so. I also believe there aren't enough of God's people in this country for God to even want to spare it! We are so corrupt and evil! (our government, I mean) Look how many innocents we've killed in Iraq! and they had NOTHING to do with nine eleven! But the Sauds did! and our president was over there just last week dancing with them and making deals!!

The powers-that-be think they are winning, but it's they who are being set up for the slaughter! Read James 5:1-6. The rest of that chapter is for us, God's children.