PDA

View Full Version : DVD's for seniors?

MikeSmith
01-20-2008, 12:19 PM
As many people have already noted, primary attendance is very low and largely composed of seniors.

Maybe someone with video editing skills (ie. Avaroth) can make a movie targeted to seniors. It should have Ron Paul talking about the Iraq war, how it's bankrupting this country, and how Paul is the only one who can save social security; those kinds of clips. Make sure it says something about Ron Paul's background (ie. MD; 4,000 babies; air force; etc.) and his honesty (ie. does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.) Don't include anything too radical or revolutionary like getting rid of the IRS. That will just scare them.

We could then start a Chip-in or something and finance enough to buy, burn, and send these DVD's to senior centers or something. I'm assuming seniors have access to DVD players, which may or may not be accurate.

Btw, I have no way of getting this into motion. It's just an idea.

Seeing someone standing up for the things that you believe is a lot more convincing than reading or hearing others tell you what he's said in the past.

I really think this could garner us some much needed votes in a demographic we haven't been able to tap (assuming seniors have dvd players and enjoy watching dvd's.)

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Who is going to show the seniors how to work their DVD players?

amy31416
01-20-2008, 12:25 PM

WE ARE! And leave them with a step by step guide to how to use it again, that is, if they even have a DVD player.

If anyone has a grandma or grandpa in a nursing home, assisted living home, retirement community or whatever--make sure they know about Ron Paul!

They love to talk, they love to be visited, hell, volunteer at an old folks home!

HenryKnoxFineBooks
01-20-2008, 12:26 PM
So, will they be Blu-ray or HD-DVD?

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 12:34 PM

If they even have one. These are the same people that couldn't figure out how to record or set the time on their VCR. I'd bet half the people over 70 don't have a DVD player, nevermind anyone over 80. My grandmother (82) does not have a DVD player and wouldn't have a clue about how to use one. Plus they're often dealing with dementia...they probably shouldn't even be voting! DVDs for this demographic might as well be used as coasters.

MikeSmith
01-20-2008, 12:35 PM
If they even have one. These are the same people that couldn't figure out how to record or set the time on their VCR. I'd bet half the people over 70 don't have a DVD player, nevermind anyone over 80. My grandmother (82) does not have a DVD player and wouldn't have a clue about how to use one. Plus they're often dealing with dementia...they probably shouldn't even be voting! DVDs for this demographic might as well be used as coasters.

And you're saying they wouldn't want to vote for the nice man who gave them a free coaster?

Eponym_mi
01-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Seniors often listen to their caretaker's opinion....people that will have a vested interest in the nanny state. You think a nursing home or assisted care facility operator is going to recommend anyone that isn't going to enhance their bottom line? We're trying to overcome some very entrenched and corrupt influences here.

HollyforRP
01-20-2008, 12:43 PM
YES! I've thought about this before and it needs to go viral.

MikeSmith
01-20-2008, 01:01 PM
So, will they be Blu-ray or HD-DVD?

Seniors are defnitely passionate about the resolution and depth of color their TV's display. Half won't watch anything that isn't Blu-ray and, the other half won't watch anything that isn't HD-DVD.

Clearly, we have to make both.

JenaS62
01-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Excellent idea. In fact my husband and I have gotten a few elderly people on board with RP after we had them watch Freedom to Facsism. Most elderly have DVD players. Many do not own computers or use it for more than just email.

Dutch_in_Hanoi
01-20-2008, 01:07 PM
A small booklet would do just as well, if not better, as a DVD in my opinion. Stressing the issues that you already mentioned in your opening post with some telephone numbers if they want to have more information.

MikeSmith
01-20-2008, 01:21 PM
A small booklet would do just as well, if not better, as a DVD in my opinion. Stressing the issues that you already mentioned in your opening post with some telephone numbers if they want to have more information.

I don't know how much sense this makes, but my reasoning is that seniors may not have that much to do; so they might be willing to relax, sit down possibly with some friends, and watch a free DVD.

A lot of Americans (sadly) don't like to read, and I'm guessing poor eyesight wouldn't help any. Also, seeing someone standing up for things that you believe in is a lot more convincing than reading what they've said in the past. Plus, movies have music that can inspire. I'd bet you'd get more than a few votes just because you had the most rousing music.

MikeSmith
01-20-2008, 01:51 PM
See post below

MikeSmith
01-20-2008, 02:08 PM
See post below

MikeSmith
01-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Again, seeing someone standing up for the things that you believe is a lot more convincing than reading or hearing others tell you what he's said in the past.

If no one runs with this idea, it will just die.

I really think this could garner us some much needed votes in a demographic we haven't been able to tap (assuming seniors have dvd players and enjoy watching dvd's.)

Last self-bump for this thread. Others can bump it if they want.