PDA

View Full Version : Paul has no name recognition in the south

zaffa
01-20-2008, 08:48 AM
I live in West TN and hardly anyone has even heard of the guy. I think that this is the same thing that happened in SC. It doesn't matter how strong your message is if people can't hear it. This is why I believe we need a major surge of ads asap running in the south.

Alabama Supporter
01-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, our media team sucks at getting the message out.

Unless you have looked him up on the internet, you have no idea what Ron Paul stands for.

tsetsefly
01-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Yeah, our media team sucks at getting the message out.

Unless you have looked him up on the internet, you have no idea what Ron Paul stands for.

media team sucks indeed.... HQ is incompetent, bottom line...

DjLoTi
01-20-2008, 08:57 AM
The Gulf Coast has seen some coverage, we just need to get more pro-active.

fireworks_god
01-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Whose Paul?

LynnB
01-20-2008, 08:58 AM
HQ should be bombarding the airwaves with ads in Florida....

DjLoTi
01-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Actually, the gulf coast is probably a good angle since Ron Paul lives near the gulf coast. That covers like 4 or 5 states.

DjLoTi
01-20-2008, 08:59 AM
HQ should be bombarding the airwaves with ads in Florida....

Florida is 10 days away, lets take some time for Nevada and move in on FL next week.

nightlight
01-20-2008, 09:02 AM
A minute or two of sound bytes or feel good vapid sights & sounds won't work.

The campaign or an independent group need to test run infomercial in one state, e.g. Florida, 15-30 minutes in prime time "Who is Ron Paul" (youtube has lots of good material). It would cover the key positions of Dr. Paul and show the ground swell of enthusiastic support.

btwilli1
01-20-2008, 09:03 AM
that why we want to fly some banners on the biggest holiday in the south. Mardi Gras =) check out pauldigras.com and help us fly the air corps!

austin356
01-20-2008, 09:06 AM
I went canvassing last weekend and did not come across A SINGLE person did had not at least heard of Dr. Ron Paul.

If West TN does not know Dr. Paul, then tell Chris Holley he sucks and is not doing his job well.

tsetsefly
01-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Florida is 10 days away, lets take some time for Nevada and move in on FL next week.

what? nevada?

I think florida might be a goner, its a winner take all state unless we have a chance of winning there I dont see the point...

garyallen59
01-20-2008, 09:08 AM
yeah east tn is ron paul's

signs are friggin everywhere

tsetsefly
I live in West TN and hardly anyone has even heard of the guy. I think that this is the same thing that happened in SC. It doesn't matter how strong your message is if people can't hear it. This is why I believe we need a major surge of ads asap running in the south.

btw are you doing something to change that?

DAFTEK
Run Paul? is that a movie or something?

therealjjj77
01-20-2008, 09:10 AM
The few in Iowa that I talked to that heard of him didn't even know he was a Republican. They thought he was an independent or something. That's why canvassing is so important. One on one dealing with people can have a huge penetration and retention rate. Way bigger then some blimp or sign that says "Ron Paul for President".

CelestialRender
01-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Louisiana loves Ron Paul. And I'm pretty sure we _DEFINE_ the South, so maybe you guys just need to step up your game out East. ; )

DjLoTi
01-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Louisiana loves Ron Paul. And I'm pretty sure we _DEFINE_ the South, so maybe you guys just need to step up your game out East. ; )

Well, when sunshine state wins big, we're gonna roll right over to other states.

And plus Mardi Gras starts on Feburary 5th ... wow I wonder if that was done on purpose, by the politicians.. to make the first day of Mardi Gras a big, nationwide voting day. You just gotta wonder, since politics now-a-days is such shady business.

Hopefully not too many people from out of state are partying it up in NOLA.... Since, lets face it, Ron Paul people like to get down!

btwilli1
01-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Where's our conspiracy theorists on this!

Midnight77
01-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Name recognition is a huge problem. I can't tell you how many people in California I spoke to still have not heard of him.

tsetsefly
01-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Well, when sunshine state wins big, we're gonna roll right over to other states.

And plus Mardi Gras starts on Feburary 5th ... wow I wonder if that was done on purpose, by the politicians.. to make the first day of Mardi Gras a big, nationwide voting day. You just gotta wonder, since politics now-a-days is such shady business.

Hopefully not too many people from out of state are partying it up in NOLA.... Since, lets face it, Ron Paul people like to get down!

what indications do you have that we are doing well in florida, the polls dont show it and excluding nevada the polls have been accurate...

joelfarm
01-20-2008, 09:30 AM
The premise of this post an be directly attributed to the blackout by OSM (Old Stream Media) as most citizens still get 90% of their information concerning the candidates from it. The alphabet networks are still trumpeting the cross-dresser, Rudy G. and STILL, after 2nd in Nevada, They avoid even mentioning Dr. Paul like the plague!
On Meet the Press this AM, Russert had a bunch of talking heads on during an extended discusion of the campaign so far, and during an in-depth exchange concerning the fate of the Republican Party's conservative beliefs, they lamented the fact that " None of the present candidates reflect the Reagan mantra of fiscal restrant and smaller government." I about blew a gasket!! I should know bettter by now, not to even watch these facists. But the point is, everyone who is in the least interested in the presidential campaign, DOES watch this claptrap. So, the ONLY WAY we are going to get Ron Paul's name out there, is through media advertisements. I dispise this type of campaigning, but it is our only choice. HQ HAS to flood the airwaves, but just be smart about where and how.

InLoveWithRon
01-20-2008, 09:34 AM

Florida is a waste of time.. I lived there for over 15 years and let me tell you, they are clueless.. And let's not forget the seniors there, millions of them.. They will go the McCain route..

Paul should ignore Florida because it's a take all delegate state.. He will be wasting money there.. Any penny invested in Florida is a total waste..

What he needs to do is target two other big states for Super Tuesday, Texas because he is a congressman from there, it's his home territory.. And also California.. Many more people in California have heard of him and they have 1000 strong in the meetup group in San Diego alone.. His signs are all over LA like a plague.... Nevermind the fact that Silicon Valley is there, home of the internet and he is very popular with them there to the northern part of the state... His 2 Leno appearances also serve well for the California proper..

TEXAS AND CALIFORNIA should be the focus.. Doing well in Nevada next door is a good sign for California.. And Texas is Texas, his home territory.. Going that route is a no brainer over Florida.. Investing in Florida would be extremely stupid.. All he would get from investing millions of $$ in Florida is rising from 4% to 6% .. Big deal, people wouldn't see a difference anyways.. Florida is a wasteland for the neocon junkies.. Like South Carolina is..

Thomas Paine
01-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Geez! I wonder why. I thought the blimp was all that we needed to get Ron Paul the necessary media exposure. Keep funding the blimp everyone instead of funding the campaign's GOTV efforts on the ground because the blimp is going to save the campaign.

CelestialRender
01-20-2008, 09:37 AM
And plus Mardi Gras starts on Feburary 5th ... wow I wonder if that was done on purpose, by the politicians.. to make the first day of Mardi Gras a big, nationwide voting day.

I hate to burst your bubble here, but Mardi Gras is always just the day before Ash Wednesday, and the first Tuesday in February is always Super Tuesday.

No dice on that theory, sorry.

Hope
01-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Uh, then what are you going to change that? I hope you're in a Meetup group and participating in their activities like crazy.

I went to the east TN group a while before my group got started, and they are doing a ridiculously good job. Take a cue from them.

I live in west NC and we had low name recognition to begin with. But after several months of weekly sign waving, posting signs all over town, door-to-door canvassing and converting friends and family...things are looking up.

And guess what? Even if RP was in the news, people STILL would not know about him. Ask them to name a Republican candidate period and they won't be able to name names. People don't watch the news or follow politics, by and large. They rely on the people they know or meet to tell them who to vote for (if they vote at all).

On Friday when I was sign waving, a guy pulled his car into the parking lot near where I was holding my sign and told me, "Thanks for doing what you're doing, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have heard about Ron Paul. It changed my life, seriously." Everything we do makes a difference. If people in your area don't know about Ron Paul, it's not because the campaign dropped the ball or because the media is business as usual. It's because you aren't doing enough. I know that sounds harsh, but instead of complaining and being fatalistic, if you were out there like I'm out there I know you'd be thinking differently. Just food for thought.

Chauncy
01-20-2008, 09:51 AM
nt

Alabama Supporter
01-20-2008, 09:54 AM
None of this matters unless he is mentioned on the evening news.

The MSM has the people brainwashed. Seriously

dkim68
01-20-2008, 09:56 AM
I live in West TN and hardly anyone has even heard of the guy.
This means not enough Meetup group members down there are signing up to be Precinct Leaders and even the ones that are aren't working hard enough to spread the word.

tsetsefly
01-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Florida is a waste of time.. I lived there for over 15 years and let me tell you, they are clueless.. And let's not forget the seniors there, millions of them.. They will go the McCain route..

Paul should ignore Florida because it's a take all delegate state.. He will be wasting money there.. Any penny invested in Florida is a total waste..

What he needs to do is target two other big states for Super Tuesday, Texas because he is a congressman from there, it's his home territory.. And also California.. Many more people in California have heard of him and they have 1000 strong in the meetup group in San Diego alone.. His signs are all over LA like a plague.... Nevermind the fact that Silicon Valley is there, home of the internet and he is very popular with them there to the northern part of the state... His 2 Leno appearances also serve well for the California proper..

TEXAS AND CALIFORNIA should be the focus.. Doing well in Nevada next door is a good sign for California.. And Texas is Texas, his home territory.. Going that route is a no brainer over Florida.. Investing in Florida would be extremely stupid.. All he would get from investing millions of $$ in Florida is rising from 4% to 6% .. Big deal, people wouldn't see a difference anyways.. Florida is a wasteland for the neocon junkies.. Like South Carolina is..

TEXAS primaries are in march...

ckhagen
01-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I resent all these remarks about FL being useless...

A 6th place finish won't exactly look good considering all eyes will be on FL on the 29th. We may not win, but we can't just let them have it.
I believe the only McCain stronghold is up here in the Panhandle and if Ron could eat away at that, it would be the difference between McCain winning or not.

All this talk about it being useless makes me feel like I shouldn't have 50 people out here wasting their time and money canvassing, buying newspaper ads, etc... we're busting our asses out here, thanks a lot for the little reminder about it being useless...