PDA

View Full Version : MASSIVE VOTER TURNOUT - Learn a lesson from Nevada's mistake

dkim68
01-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Never underestimate the voter turnout for the other candidates. Look what happened in Nevada. Who would've expected Mormons would come out in droves to vote for Romney, outnumbering Ron Paul voters 4 to 1.

You have to anticipate that one or more of the other candidates has a plan in place for a sweeping victory in Louisiana. Please do everything in your power to get ALL the Ron Paul supporters out to vote.

We all know that actually placing the vote takes very little effort. The real work is in convincing a person that their vote counts and getting them out of their homes to the Caucus locations. Please work diligently on that front!

You guys HAVE TO get all the Ron Paul supporters out to vote in the Caucuses. Get organized, double-check you have all the correct information (ie. caucus locations, delegate names, etc.), each person should car pool and bring 4 or more voters with them, document everything, videotape everything, and most importantly... VOTE FOR RON PAUL!

Work hard and you can make this headline a reality: "LOUISIANA MAKES HISTORY WITH MASSIVE VOTER TURNOUT!" (FOR RON PAUL!)

Good luck and God Bless!

coyote_sprit
01-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Nevada was unexpected cause they made it an open caucus at last moments. Louisiana has a lot of possibilities and I wish I could be there to help.

ChristyInLouisiana
01-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Louisiana is in really good hands. Here in the Lafayette area I've gotten no calls from anyone, other than Ron Paul people! So, unless another candidate is working something under our noses, the efforts here in Louisiana are going really really great. We've got all the parishes accounted for with regards to delegates and we've got a nice handfull of alternates too, we just have to vote and get them in. Hopefully we'll be able to get those people in place Tuesday. Just wish us luck! We've done all we can at this point, we all know RP's supporters are with him til the end, lets just hope they all show up and get our delegates in place for the win!

dkim68
01-20-2008, 09:25 AM
That's great. My concern is people will flake out at the last minute. Take Washoe County in Nevada as an example. Washoe has a total population of about 330,000 people. How many are registered to vote I don't know but out of that many people a mere 1,000 showed up to vote for Ron Paul whereas a little over 4,000 showed up to vote for Mitt Romney. Washoe was expected to deliver the win to Paul but the voters didn't turn up for the caucus. Romney supporters did. So there needs to be a surefire way to counter the chance for flaking out by getting all the voters excited about participating.

Sandra
01-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Wasn't it said that all voters voting with affidavit were only tentative vote but still counted with the totals? I wonder the percentage of voters that voted with affidavit and how long does it take for a vote check?

Carole
01-20-2008, 01:40 PM
My understanding is that was just a straw poll vote and meant nothing. It had nothing to do with delegates and Ron Paul did better than Romney with delegates at the caucus. :):):D:D

morerocklesstalk
01-20-2008, 04:41 PM
My understanding is that was just a straw poll vote and meant nothing. It had nothing to do with delegates and Ron Paul did better than Romney with delegates at the caucus. :):):D:D

It is true that it had nothing to do with delegates but the straw poll is still important because it was the media will focus on. If we can get a high straw poll showing we will look more and more like a contender while pushing Guilian and Thompson toward the fringe.

dkim68
01-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I should have titled the thread "Learn a lesson from Nevada." There was no mistake made so I apologize. There was just an underestimation made on the voter turnout for Romney.

specsaregood
01-21-2008, 07:53 AM
and Ron Paul did better than Romney with delegates at the caucus.

I'd like to know if this can be proven in some way. If so, the campaign should do so and put out a press release.

JustBcuz
01-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I'd like to know if this can be proven in some way. If so, the campaign should do so and put out a press release.

Ron Paul MIGHT have done better with delegates than Romney. We won't know for awhile.

We did a lot better with delegates than our 14%, I'll say that. :)

Now we have county conventions to worry about.

Kotin
01-21-2008, 02:48 PM
there isnt going to be an army of Mormons though...

BeFranklin
01-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Nevada was unexpected cause they made it an open caucus at last moments. Louisiana has a lot of possibilities and I wish I could be there to help.

They didn't make it an open caucus. They made it possible so you could easily cheat and claim you were eligible to vote when you were not.

This had the effect of making if an open caucus. If the election is challenged, expect to find a whole bunch of mormon non-republicans voting.

AFTFNJ
01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Ya stuff your cars...take as many as you can DO NOT GO ALONE!!!

morerocklesstalk
01-21-2008, 04:21 PM
They didn't make it an open caucus. They made it possible so you could easily cheat and claim you were eligible to vote when you were not.

This had the effect of making if an open caucus. If the election is challenged, expect to find a whole bunch of mormon non-republicans voting.

If the caucus would of been open Ron Paul would of done even better. You had to have an affidavit to vote if you weren't registered and I'm sure most people had no clue on how to get one or that you even could.

BeFranklin
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
If the caucus would of been open Ron Paul would of done even better. You had to have an affidavit to vote if you weren't registered and I'm sure most people had no clue on how to get one or that you even could.

No, you didn't even need an official form. You only had to claim you were a Republican, any signature to anything could be used, and that rule could be changed in any county or by any chair. There is no telling who voted.

January 18, 2008 3:10 pm EST

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – Today, the Ron Paul 2008 campaign is calling on the Nevada State Republican Party to re-examine multiple inconsistencies in the Nevada Caucus process, and to consider postponing the caucus, which is scheduled for Saturday, January 19.

“The inconsistencies, errors and multiple changes in the rules reek of playing politics with the what should be a neutral process,” said Ron Paul 2008 campaign manager Lew Moore. “The people of Nevada deserve to know exactly what the rules are and to know that those rules are being fairly enforced. This has not happened up to this point, and the caucus appears to be in chaos.”

The problem of multiple rule changes is being compounded by other inconsistencies and errors in the process. Many Nevada Republicans have received postcards with incorrect information about their caucus location, and the Nevada GOP website had incorrect caucus locations listed as late as Wednesday, January 16.

Additionally, one or more county chairs have expressed concerns over an insufficient number of ballots, and the Ron Paul campaign has heard reports that rural counties are short of ballots, while Clark County precincts were given what is regarded as far too many ballots.

The Ron Paul campaign has learned that the Nevada Republican Party has changed the rules for eligibility requirements for caucusing three times since January 9. Last summer when the January 19 caucus was set, the Nevada GOP announced that caucus would be closed and only for Republicans who had registered by December 19.

On January 10, 2008, a caucus director for the Nevada Republican Party reversed the earlier policy and anounced a new standard by stating that any person who asserts that they are a registered Republican in the precinct but cannot be found in the voter rolls that the Republican party has, would be able to participate if they signed an affidavit attesting to the fact that they were a registered Republican. Then, on January 15 the Ron Paul campaign received communication from the state party that the affidavits would not be used.

However, on January 17 the policy was changed for a third time, as the state party announced that affidavits would be in use throughout the state, subject to the discretion of county central committees and chairs.

The Nevada Republican Party is changing the rules from week to week, and currently the rules will not even be uniform across the state, as eligibility rules may differ from county to county.

Given the caucus location confusion – with potential caucus participants not knowing where to go – and the new rule effectively allowing anyone to get a ballot, the Ron Paul campaign is concerned that the confusion surrounding the caucus will both disenfranchise voters and make the election particularly susceptible to vote fraud.

###

morerocklesstalk
01-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow that sucks. In my precinct, you did have to be on the list.

jenninlouisiana
01-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Truth be told, if you didn't expect Mormons to turn out and vote en masse, then you really don't know a thing about Mormons. (no offense). They turn out en masse to vote AND they stick like glue to their own kind. (no judgements....) Sure, we have a few R.P. Mormons, but they are the minority in their community, I would expect...... (please correct me if I am wrong.... sure dont' want to stereotype people...)

clouds
01-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Not to mention th fact that it's pretty rare to have someone who has a shot at the presidency and is a mormon.

RonPaulFTW08
01-22-2008, 12:02 AM
"Nevada's mistake"? We did EXCELLENT in NV. I would NOT call NV a mistake. Read the threads on the NV caucus. We "well they" were very organized in NV and even tho Romney got a large percentage, we still have a great chance of getting a lot of delegates from that state. Dont ask me to explain how, just read the threads =P

dkim68
01-22-2008, 01:29 AM
"Nevada's mistake"? We did EXCELLENT in NV. I would NOT call NV a mistake. Read the threads on the NV caucus. We "well they" were very organized in NV and even tho Romney got a large percentage, we still have a great chance of getting a lot of delegates from that state. Dont ask me to explain how, just read the threads =P
Yeah, look a few posts up. I apologized for using that word. I would change the thread title but it won't let me.

carla8478
01-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Truth be told, if you didn't expect Mormons to turn out and vote en masse, then you really don't know a thing about Mormons. (no offense). They turn out en masse to vote AND they stick like glue to their own kind. (no judgements....) Sure, we have a few R.P. Mormons, but they are the minority in their community, I would expect...... (please correct me if I am wrong.... sure dont' want to stereotype people...)

Thanks so much for recognizing the Ron Paul Mormons and for withholding judgment. We (Mormons) have been getting a lot of bashing on other areas of the forums.

Actually there may be fewer Ron Paul Mormons than there are Mitt Romney Mormons but I think in Mormon country you're either one or the other. (I'm not from Utah). I don't think there's much split amongst any of the other candidates. So there may be less of us but there's still a good chunk of Mormons who support Ron Paul. The ones of us who have actually bothered to study and look at the Constitution that is. ;) Rather than just giving it lip service and saying we support it.

But we're all individuals anyway, not defined by the groups to which we subscribe.

GO RON PAUL!