PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul to host Press Conference on 5/24 with CIA analyst Michael Scheuer

winston_blade
05-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Press Conference: Educating Rudy
Date/Time: Thursday May 24, 2007
Time: 9:30am - 11:00am
Entry Type: Meeting
Street Adr: 529 14th Street NW
City: Washington
Zip: 20045
Notes: Ron Paul and Michael Scheuer, former head of the CIA Bin Laden Unit, will host a press conference to educate mayor Rudy

What do you guys think? I think that this is great and really hope that the press makes a big deal about this. Does anyone know anything else about this event?

NMCB3
05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Never heard about it but Michael Scheuer is a respected expert in the field. Looks like Ron is trying hard to capitalize on the fascist Benito Guiliani`s mistake.

JoshLowry
05-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I hope he does capitalize on it. So many people have slammed him for it, the record should be set straight.

Here is a link where a talk show got to talk to Michael Scheuer about blowback and Ron Paul's statements.

http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2007/05/19/former-head-of-cias-osama-unit-backs-up-rep-ron-paul/

Press the grey Play button.

TheDuke
05-22-2007, 02:35 PM
I'd put a lot of money on the fact that nobody of the mainstream media is going to be there.

Hawaii Libertarian
05-22-2007, 02:46 PM
C-Span usually covers these types of presentations, so hopefully the video will get posted on YouTube. The one thing I like about C-Span is that these types of presentations allow the speakers to go in-depth without the ridiculous time constraints in the pseudo-debates, though the call-in segments afterwards sometimes leave something to be desired.

You never know, some of the MSM reporters who cover the DC political scene may just show up out of curiosity, especially if the National Press Club will have another high profile event the same day. It would be enlightening to them for sure.

Korey Kaczynski
05-22-2007, 02:52 PM
This is a good press-generating stunt. Should be interesting to watch, too.

LibertyOrDie
05-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Now is the time for emails and phone calls! It is moments like these that we should be organizing and requesting from the MSM for coverage. Contact FoxNews, MSNBC, CNN, etc and request as a viewer that you would be interested in getting information from this press conference and you want to know where you should watch or read and expect to find out what takes place.

kylejack
05-22-2007, 02:59 PM
The press will be there, in my opinion. This was a big story for Giuliani, and they're going to love something like this.

MsDoodahs
05-22-2007, 03:10 PM
The press release was sent to media outlets.

Rather than request they attend, why not use this to see which MSM is going to cover Dr. Paul and which ones aren't?

JMO, YMMV.

:)

DavyDuke17
05-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Where did you find out about this, so that if I contact the press I can give them proof that it is happening?

MsDoodahs
05-22-2007, 03:20 PM
I contacted national campaign HQ.

They sent the press release to the media outlets themselves, this morning.

I also asked about us calling to request coverage.

I was told that they at HQ would prefer we back off on pressuring the media to cover it, instead let the media that wants to cover the story do so based on their own view of how big the story is.

Which is why I posted as I did above.

:)

winston_blade
05-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Where did you find out about this, so that if I contact the press I can give them proof that it is happening?

I saw it on his myspace.

Pedrique
05-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Firing from both barrels. So great.

The radio interview with Scheuer is genius.

NMCB3
05-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I hope he does capitalize on it. So many people have slammed him for it, the record should be set straight.

Here is a link where a talk show got to talk to Michael Scheuer about blowback and Ron Paul's statements.

http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2007/05/19/former-head-of-cias-osama-unit-backs-up-rep-ron-paul/

Press the grey Play button. That was a good interview, it makes one realize just how bad of a situation we have gotten ourselves into. One that has no easy solutions. Thanks for posting that.

Anne
05-22-2007, 03:30 PM
ABC has written about it already:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/05/ron_paul_recrui.html

NMCB3
05-22-2007, 03:40 PM

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/05/ron_paul_recrui.htmlBe sure to leave a comment.

cujothekitten
05-22-2007, 04:00 PM

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/05/ron_paul_recrui.html

"I mean, it seemed like it was so off the wall," Giuliani added. "And there are so many of these conspiracy theories about September 11, to hear one coming from a Republican was very disappointing. So I thought I just had to step in, nobody else seemed to be doing it. And I seemed to - I had to step in, somebody had to correct this."

This has created an interesting paradox... does this mean Rudy is now a conspiracy theorist?

tnvoter
05-22-2007, 04:12 PM
I'd put a lot of money on the fact that nobody of the mainstream media is going to be there.

Their loss. When word of the campaign's success reaches the news the night of the next debate, and paul blows them out of the water, again- our fight for the constutition is going to seriously take off even more than it is already.

woowoowoo22
05-22-2007, 05:04 PM
http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/UPDATE_Ron_Paul_CIA_Analyst_Michael_Scheuer_Educat e_Rudy_5_24_07

Please Digg it up to get the word out. It has been verified by telephone contact with the Ron Paul campaign.

Thanks!

Teflon Master
05-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Oh hell yes.

AlexAmore
05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
It doesn't show up on his eventful website anymore.

winston_blade
05-22-2007, 05:13 PM
It doesn't show up on his eventful website anymore.

I don't think that he wants a bunch of his supporters emailing different news outlets for them to show up. I think he wants to see which MSM outlets show up on their own.

Bradley in DC
05-22-2007, 07:19 PM
For those living in the greater DC metropolitan area, we need to attend the press conference. (Could someone send me one of those really, really cool Ron Paul R(evol)ution banners?) Press club events are open to the public.

Let's pack the room with Ron Paul supporters (let the press sit in the front) and bring signs and banners (maybe funny hats? I digress).

For those not in DC, everyone, please, take this opportunity to write personal letters to the editor in your local papers, radio, television, etc. Write from the heart about the event and your thoughts on it (and towards Dr. Paul). Citing local concerns, family members affected, etc., help. We need to expand the personal connection between Dr. Paul and the voters.

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Maybe he'll announce Michael Scheuer is his VP candidate. Hmmm?

Seth M.
05-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Now... "That's really an extraordinary statement, as someone who lived through the attack of Sept. 11... :^P /joke

Talk about tuff on security! Is there any scuttlebutt about?

JoshLowry
05-23-2007, 12:46 AM
Maybe he'll announce Michael Scheuer is his VP candidate. Hmmm?

Haha, that would rock... :cool:

Andrew76
05-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Yes, this press conference is going to be soooo very very satisfying. Those of you who have not yet listened to the radio discussion with Mike Scheuer regarding all of this (ie: Ron Paul, OBL, War on terror, etc.) I cannot recommend it enough. To me, it is the single most supportive thing of what Ron Paul has been saying in regards to foreign policy and energy policy. I was moved to send it along to everyone I know. Make no mistake, Mike Scheuer is no anti-war pacifist, quite the opposite, and he's agreeing 100% with what Ron Paul has been saying. Please please give this a listen when you get a spare 15 minutes or so.

here it is:

http://dissentradio.com/radio/07_05_18_scheuer.mp3

winston_blade
05-23-2007, 07:32 AM
It no longer says on his myspace or his website anything about this. Is it still going to happen? I really hope they didn't cancel it.

Scott
05-23-2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2007/05/22/fmr-chief-of-cia-osama-unit-why-they-attack-us/

The following is a letter from Michael F. Scheuer, former Chief of the CIA’s Osama bin Laden Unit, to the editor of Antiwar.com, regarding Congressman Ron Paul’s exchange with Rudy Giuliani about why the al Qaeda network has targeted the United States.

Sir,

In the dozen-plus years I have been active in matters relating to Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda, I have watched them go from a small Islamist organization to a worldwide insurgent movement, while bin Laden has established himself as the primary source of inspiration and leadership for tens of millions of Muslim Islamists. This process has been made possible by two things: (a) the skill, courage, patience, and ruthlessness of bin Laden and his ilk, and (b) the refusal of the U.S. government to understand the motivation of bin Laden and his allies.

Last week, Representative Paul did all Americans an immense service by simply pointing out the obvious: Our Islamist enemies do not give a damn about the way we vote, think, or live. Though any country they ruled would surely not look like ours, they are motivated by the belief that U.S. foreign policy is an attack on Islam, its lands, and its believers. This, of course, is not to say that America is to blame for the war it is now engaged in, but it is to say that it is foolish – and perhaps fatal – for Americans to believe that are we are being attacked for such ephemera as primary elections, R-rated movies, and gender equality. If our Islamist enemies were motivated by such things their numbers would be minuscule and they would be a sporadic lethal nuisance, not, as they are, the most serious national security threat we face today.

Of the eighteen presidential candidates now in the field from both parties, only Mr. Paul has had the courage to square with the average American voter. We are indeed hated and being warred against because we are “over there,” and not for what we are and how we live. Our failure to recognize the truth spoken by Mr. Paul – and spelled out for us in hundreds of pages of statements by Osama bin Laden since 1996 – is leading America toward military and economic disaster.

At day’s end, Mr. Paul has at least temporarily shaken the pillars of the bipartisan consensus on U.S. foreign policy. Neither party, and none of the candidates, want to discuss the Islamists’ motivation because they would have to deal with energy policy, support for Israel, and the 50-year record of U.S. support and protection for Arab tyrannies. These holy cows of U.S. politics have long been off limits to debate, but Mr. Paul has now accurately identified them as the source of motivation for our Islamist enemies, and implicitly has said that the obsessive interventionism of both parties has inspired al-Qaeda and its allies to kill 7,000-plus U.S. civilians and military personnel since 11 September 2001. The war we are engaged in with the Islamists is a long way from over, but it need end in America’s defeat only if Mr. Paul’s frank statements are ignored.

And no matter how you view Mr. Paul’s words, you can safely take one thing to the bank. The person most shaken by Mr. Paul’s frankness was Osama bin Laden, who knows that the current status quo in U.S. foreign policy toward the Islamic world is al-Qaeda’s one indispensable ally, and the only glue that provides cohesion between and among the diverse and often fractious Islamist groups that follow its banner.

Respectfully,
Michael F. Scheuer
Falls Church, VA

ronpaulitician
05-23-2007, 02:32 PM
FreeMarketNews.com (http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=41921)

Breaking - Ron Paul, CIA, Rebut Giuliani at Press Confab, May 24
Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - FreeMarketNews.com

Presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-TX) will be joined by Michael Scheuer, former head of the CIA's Bin Laden Unit, to discuss flawed American foreign policy and its implications on terrorism, security and Iraq.

The press conference will be held at 9:30AM EST on Thursday, May 24 in the National Press Club Lisagor Room.

During the "First in South" GOP debate, earlier this month, Dr. Paul stated that 50 years of interventionism in the Middle East is a significant motivating tool for radical Islamists. Dr. Paul's position, though disparaged during the debate, has since received backing from numerous individuals, including others in the GOP, administration officials and - in excerpted reports - from the 9-11 Commission itself.

In the debate, Rudy Giuliani, a presidential candidate and well-known former Republican mayor of New York, called Dr. Paul's position "absurd." Giuliani is commonly characterized as a GOP "front-runner." He is also considered well-versed in foreign policy, given his supervision of the "international city" of New York and his position as its leader during 9/11. However, he stated that he had "never heard such an explanation" as Ron Paul's.

According to a limited-circulation release, Dr. Paul and Mr. Scheuer are expected to explain why Rudy Giuliani is wrong on security and foreign policy and provide documentation about the unintended consequences of interventionism - known to many in the intelligence (and Dr. Paul as well) as "blowback."

aravoth
05-23-2007, 02:43 PM

agree

Therion
05-23-2007, 03:01 PM
CNN will probably be there. They seem to be RP's biggest fans in the MSM.

tnvoter
05-23-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm betting that everyone's going to have cameras on this- for fear of missing a possible big scoop - or they're still hoping for RP to slip up somewhere.

MsDoodahs
05-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I just checked the CSPan schedule for tomorrow, and I don't see it listed on any of their 3 channels.

Bummer...

I hope the campaign records it and puts it on the net...

LibertyOrDie
05-23-2007, 08:10 PM
I just checked the CSPan schedule for tomorrow, and I don't see it listed on any of their 3 channels.

Bummer...

I hope the campaign records it and puts it on the net...

Anymore news on this? Anyone know if it is going to covered anywhere? If on TV, let me know, I would love to post it on YouTube!

tnvoter
05-23-2007, 11:35 PM
LOL, whether the media covers it or not depends on entirely whether or not something interesting is going on in the american idol show. It seems to scoop over anything else in world news lately.

I'm tuning in looking for it anyways, just in case. :)

rpliving
05-24-2007, 07:47 AM
it should be going on now.

Gee
05-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Its listed as going from 9:30 - 10:00 am
http://npc.press.org/

I guess that means no one covered it :(

MsDoodahs
05-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Not seeing a thing on CSpan right now, but I only have one and two.

According to the blog at LRC, Cspan was going to be there, so maybe they're recording it to be shown on air later?

NMCB3
05-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Lew Rockwell is reporting that C-SPAN has backed out. I guess no one cares if the GOP "front runner" (Rudy) is clueless about foreign policy. As long as the special interests are pandered to.

MsDoodahs
05-24-2007, 08:43 AM
WHERE is Lew reporting that? I just checked the blog and didn't see anything.

Often, CSpan records these things and then airs them LATER.

I expect that will be the case with this event - unless CSpan decided not to even RECORD the event. In which case I'm pretty sure the campaign will have a video of it.

Harald
05-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I think that one of the reason cspan back out was somewhat "childish" title -- Educating Rudy.

If it were something like "Blowback: fact or reality. Discussion on US foreign policy and causes of 9/11". Featuring GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul and the former head of CIA Bin Laden unit Michael Scheuer, then press would be more likely to attend.

Educating Rudy is a perfect title for youtube video, but not for an official press release. (I cringed when I saw that title on the official campaign website)

Your thoughts?

Therion
05-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Eh, gambled and lost. This is no big deal.

Harald
05-24-2007, 08:56 AM
*** Let’s Get Ready To Ron-ble: Ron Paul -- yes, Ron Paul -- steps into the political spotlight with a press conference at the National Press Club. Appearing with former CIA official Michael Scheuer, ex-head of its Bin Laden Unit, Paul finally punches back at Giuliani after the ex-mayor blasted him at last week's GOP debate for stating that the US presence in the Middle East was responsible for 9/11.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/05/24/202330.aspx

but I still think that the title of press conference was not appropriate

NMCB3
05-24-2007, 08:57 AM

Often, CSpan records these things and then airs them LATER.

I expect that will be the case with this event - unless CSpan decided not to even RECORD the event. In which case I'm pretty sure the campaign will have a video of it.Educate Rudy
Posted by Lew Rockwell at 08:52 PM
Thursday morning at 9:30am Ron Paul and former CIA terrorism expert Michael Scheuer will hold a press conference at the National Press Club in DC to "Educate Rudy" and other neocons on 9/11. C-SPAN will be there to broadcast it.

UPDATE: C-SPAN has backed out.

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-24-2007, 08:59 AM

Educate Rudy
Posted by Lew Rockwell at 08:52 PM

Thursday morning at 9:30am Ron Paul and former CIA terrorism expert Michael Scheuer will hold a press conference at the National Press Club in DC to "Educate Rudy" and other neocons on 9/11. C-SPAN will be there to broadcast it.

UPDATE: C-SPAN has backed out.

NMCB3
05-24-2007, 09:03 AM
but I still think that the title of press conference was not appropriateI don`t see anything wrong with it. If the tables were turned and it were called "educating Ron" the media, and talk show hosts would be tripping all over themselves trying to get the scoop. Then they would talk about it for a week straight. Telling us how "out of touch" Ron is, and that Rudy is some sort of foreign policy genius.

They did not cover it because he is not an establishment shill. If it were any of the "top three" it would be a major event.

MsDoodahs
05-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Anyone else real suspicious of GW's sudden decison to hold a Rose Garden News Conf at the WH beginning exactly when RP's News Conf was supposed to end?

That, in combination with the release of that stuff yesterday (you know, the "previously classified - look, see they were planning to hit us here at home see see see how right we are" info) makes be believe that the GOP has seen some SERIOUS movement towards the Paul campaign ... movement that they are detecting IN THE REAL WORLD not just online.

Otherwise, they'd be staying their course.

Maybe americans have begun to wake up and catch on ...

MsDoodahs
05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
An idea - can someone find out from CSpan how many times they do NOT cover news conferences held at the NPC by presidential candidates?

Is this common or is this just another example of CSpan bowing to pressure?

peruvianRP
05-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Will this "Conference" be video tape? Hope so. And please post it asap if you can. I'm also talking to my country man/american citizens about Ron Paul and they also agree that RP is the best .

NMCB3
05-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Anyone else real suspicious of GW's sudden decison to hold a Rose Garden News Conf at the WH beginning exactly when RP's News Conf was supposed to end?

That, in combination with the release of that stuff yesterday (you know, the "previously classified - look, see they were planning to hit us here at home see see see how right we are" info) makes be believe that the GOP has seen some SERIOUS movement towards the Paul campaign ... movement that they are detecting IN THE REAL WORLD not just online.

Otherwise, they'd be staying their course.

Maybe americans have begun to wake up and catch on ...I`m pretty much suspicious of everything the government says or does. Hey, its an American tradition. ;) I would not put anything past them, they manipulate the media all the time. Remember not to long ago, they were caught leaking information to the NY Times, and then commenting upon the article as if the Times was legitimizing their policy? :)

angelatc
05-24-2007, 09:32 AM

That, in combination with the release of that ..."previously classified" ....info....

Maybe, but I don't Ron is a big enough threat yet to warrant rearranging a PResidential schedule.

And if he is - it's politics.

The best part about seeing that Bush "release" is that, at least around here, was the large laughs that it got.. Even the neo-con lites rolled their eyes. The man has zero credibility.

Gee
05-24-2007, 10:26 AM
I don`t see anything wrong with it. If the tables were turned and it were called "educating Ron" the media, and talk show hosts would be tripping all over themselves trying to get the scoop. Then they would talk about it for a week straight. Telling us how "out of touch" Ron is, and that Rudy is some sort of foreign policy genius.

They did not cover it because he is not an establishment shill. If it were any of the "top three" it would be a major event.
Well, presidential canidates are expected to be more professional than that. Personally, I think RP does best when simply stating the facts to defend his position, not when he attacks anyone or gets overly defensive. A large part of his appeal is that he isn't "politics as usual", after all.

RonPaul4President
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
This will be very interesting. Sadly, most of America will still deny the facts because they can't handle the ugly truth.