PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio

kylejack
07-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Word up, San Antonio? How are things going? Someone give us a report!

DeadheadForPaul
07-28-2007, 06:17 PM
The event started at 7 Pm eastern/6 PM central, so I expect it to still be going on. Probably the video clip then the intro speakers...Paul may just be coming on around now. I bet we will get reports around 10. There are no live bloggers there. Hopefully there was a good showing

kylejack
07-28-2007, 06:19 PM
The event started at 7 Pm eastern/6 PM central, so I expect it to still be going on. Probably the video clip then the intro speakers...Paul may just be coming on around now. I bet we will get reports around 10. There are no live bloggers there. Hopefully there was a good showing

Yeah, but hopefully we'll get some people who are still there. I use my cell phone to make posts here all the time. I wish I could have gone, but I had stuff to do today. Bring it to Houston next time!

Dan Klaus
07-29-2007, 06:25 AM
bump for an update on the San Antonio fundraiser..

Slugg
07-29-2007, 06:56 AM
My mother and sister went and I spoke with them earlier. They said they had a great time and it was an excellent turnout. The rally before the fundraiser pulled in about 300 people (more than Obama's about a month ago).

My mother is ill and did not stay for his speech. His speech was delayed due to the long line to get his autograph and photo. She was at the event for about 2.5 hrs. My sister, a staunch Guiliani supporter before the event, has now converted to Dr. Paul. She said she had never seen so many intelligent, succesful and nice people in one location. She was really excited by the literature she read. She has not only converted to Dr. Paul, but will be placing a yard sign at her house this week!

So, long story short, I can't speak for everything that happened there, but you picked up my sister as a supporter (and by default her husband also :D ). My mother also commented that the fundraiser was sold out (she said 400 seats were sold, but I don't know). Each seat was $100, so that's a nice amount of money. They also had a silent auction where all sorts of items were for sale. She did not get a talley of the selling price for each item...but she said a sword sold for about $1,000 and a flag for about $750.

All in all, it sounds like it was a good event. Hopefully one of our friends out there will upload the video, and record any local coverage of the event.

Texas.410
07-29-2007, 08:26 AM
My wife and I drove down from Austin. The fund raiser was packed. I met people from many parts of the state. The freedom rally was a short speech by Dr. Paul at the wall of the Alamo. Then everyone and Ron Paul where lead from the Alamo to the Buck horn museum by Alamo era color guard. That was about a six block walk, with a pause every so often to talk to the media. The large group that walked with Ron Paul was at least a block and a half long and curb to curb wide.

The speech to end the fund raiser was grate. And what a grate place to do it.
There where many cameras so I hope there will be video posted some where soon.

qednick
07-29-2007, 10:04 AM
My wife (member qedtanya) and I were volunteers at the event. The fundraiser dinner was packed so I think it was oversold. They ran out of food and one guy asked me if there were more tables/seats because he and his family couldn't find any. I believe there was seating for 500.

We got to meet Dr Paul and have our photo taken with him before the dinner (will post pics soon). My wife spoke to him for a while so I didn't get a word in edgeways heh. He is an incredibly nice man. We also got his autograph.

One of my functions was to take tickets at the doors. One blonde lady came waltzing up with a stroller and two other kids and, when asked for her ticket, she said "we're family". We were like "what?". She said "I'm Ron Paul's daughter". So I said "well you get to pay double then." and she laughed. She then said something like "believe me... I've more than paid enough over the years." heh

The only disappointment was the lack of news coverage - although with the continued news blackout on Dr Paul this didn't surprise us. I know KHOU 13 were there filming and we spoke to the reporter.

There was such a mix of people there. Young people. Old people. From all different walks of life and dispositions.

My wife was helping with the silent and live auctions. There was tons of cheering when two bidders got into it over an antique rifle which fetched over $2k. A copy of the constitution signed by Dr Paul was the last item and fetched $4k. The losing bidder apparently said "get me another one and I'll pay $3k for it". :)

Interesting to note: when Obama was in town for his fundraiser, a group of us were outside holding Ron Paul signs. Ron Paul DEFINITELY had many many more people at his event than Obama did. :D

kylejack
07-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Interesting...How does the silent auction stuff work with regard to campaign finance law?

Slugg
07-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Interesting...How does the silent auction stuff work with regard to campaign finance law?

I don't know...it's got to be a direct sale from the campaign I would assume....so it's considered products sold...like t'shirts or hats or something....just a guess though.

angelatc
07-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Where oh where are the videos? I was all set for a fix...

ScotTX
07-29-2007, 12:43 PM
The parade from the Alamo to the museum was awesome. Very reminiscent of the Iowa parade into the HyVee Hall. Hundreds of supporters following Dr. Paul and the Alamo Color Guard waving signs and chanting 'Ron Paul, Ron Paul!" The people who were there attending the street festival stopped and watched in amazement as the block long chain of people marched by. Several people shouted positive remarks to us from the sidewalks. The only negative comments I heard was a guy yelling for Kucinich and another lady shouting "Huckabee for President!" I think we planted a lot of seeds yesterday, though. I was kind of put off by the cops outside the Alamo who told me to put away the Ron Paul for President sign that my 3 year old daughter was carrying. I understand that it's private property, though, so we just stepped off the sidewalk and we were good. I stood in line for tickets to the fundraiser, but my daughter was getting cranky and tha place was packed to the gills so we left and I donated $100 when I got home. I'm really looking forward to the B-B-Q Birthday Bash on Aug. 26! i hope to see a lot of y'all there!

Bryan
07-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Where oh where are the videos? I was all set for a fix...

Here's mine:

Ron Paul: Defending Liberty - San Antonio style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAug46Rd_Bc

billv
07-30-2007, 01:28 AM
WOW, what a video!. I think Ron can truly win this thing. Keep up the great work everyone!

Elwar
07-30-2007, 11:05 AM
I was working at the ticket counter, I recall the ticket number when I left at around 7 (when the event started) was around 460 or 470 with people still trickling in. Add to that the band members and a few comped tickets there were over 500 people there easily.

The channel 13 camera man was putting his camera equipment up next to me and I asked...all good news about Ron Paul right? He said...oh ya.

It's also exciting that Texas is starting to get coordinated to win this state for Ron Paul. There are quite a few delegates from Texas in the primary.