PDA

View Full Version : Soldier defies the military for Ron Paul

AndrewP
01-19-2008, 11:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDZLK8xXBRw

BUMP it if you haven't watched it already.

Jae0
01-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Awesome

thekeeper
01-19-2008, 11:30 PM
very powerfull,stories like these should be on the news, to show America what people in the military really think

smartpeople4ronpaul
01-19-2008, 11:31 PM
blimp

AlabamaWildMan
01-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Should Be Required Viewing across the Nation !!

...and he should travel with Dr. Paul to speak at every rally ! !!

Kotin
01-19-2008, 11:33 PM
great video, i am going to show everyone i know on my iphone!

its going to get some votes in texas!

markj
01-19-2008, 11:37 PM
wow. what an incredible video. what incredible bravery.

AlexMerced
01-19-2008, 11:38 PM
yeah, this needs to be uploaded to i-caught.com

mexicanpizza
01-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow. That is amazing. I hope he posts a paypal as I'll send his family some money.

Any ex-mil people know what punishment he's facing?

EvilEngineer
01-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Woot

NoxTwilight
01-19-2008, 11:42 PM
A true hero.

RSLudlum
01-19-2008, 11:42 PM
bump

LandonCook
01-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Bump

pebcak
01-19-2008, 11:44 PM
This is the comment I posted to his video:
"I'm with you man! I'm a SGT in the Army reserves and have served in Iraq. I once supported our invasion of Iraq, but now I'm very much against our foreign policy and would not have a good conscience in getting deployed again for a war I disagree with. I go into the IRR in April, and after that I'm done with Army. I'm putting all of my support into Ron Paul!"

Brian Bailey
This guy is reciting verbatim an article I read about a month ago. Do we have confirmation that it is the original author, or is this a sham?

steph3n
Wow. That is amazing. I hope he posts a paypal as I'll send his family some money.

a discharge?

steph3n
01-19-2008, 11:45 PM
This guy is reciting verbatim an article I read about a month ago. Do we have confirmation that it is the original author, or is this a sham?

hrm interesting, a source for it?

Ginobili
01-19-2008, 11:47 PM
/tear

afmatt
01-19-2008, 11:48 PM
I am in tears here - I salute the true bravery and dedication that that solider is demonstrating. I've done my small part for the revolution, but behind the militarys back to try and avoid retribution - the bravery and truth that he displays I can only wish I could have the guts to do.

That said - this story sounds VERY similar to a blog post I read some time back. Can anyone vouch for the authenticity of this video?

LandonCook
01-19-2008, 11:48 PM

I'm not ex-mil but my family is and I will be in the navy next year. I think cases like this rarely go to court-martial and usually end in administrative punishment such as a letter of reprimand, according to military lawyers. That is, if they even found out or cared.

brumans
01-19-2008, 11:52 PM
This should be on a ron paul infomercial :)

ReallyNow
01-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Amazing. I am consistently in awe of our serving men and women. Bless you all.

Danny Molina
01-19-2008, 11:56 PM
I hope he doesn't get in trouble for wearing his uniform.

afmatt
01-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm not ex-mil but my family is and I will be in the navy next year. I think cases like this rarely go to court-martial and usually end in administrative punishment such as a letter of reprimand, according to military lawyers. That is, if they even found out or cared.

True statment - unless this hits the mainstream enough to embarrass his boss there is a VERY good chance this will be ignored by the military.

Brian Bailey
01-19-2008, 11:58 PM
hrm interesting, a source for it?

I'll see if I can find it again. I think it's important to find out if this is a hoax before we promote it.

*visions of billionaires danced through his head*

LandonCook
01-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Did anyone hear the pages being turned as he read them? Turn the volume up...

Brian Bailey
01-20-2008, 12:02 AM
I'll see if I can find it again. I think it's important to find out if this is a hoax before we promote it.

*visions of billionaires danced through his head*

Found it: From December 5th, 2007:

Ron Paul Letter From a Soldier (http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=52180)

This is a near-exact transcript of the video.

Can anyone confirm that the soldier in the video is the same soldier who wrote this a month and a half ago?

Please look into this before spreading the video.

mrchubbs
01-20-2008, 12:06 AM

Ron Paul Letter From a Soldier (http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=52180)

Can anyone confirm that the soldier in the video is the same soldier who wrote this a month and a half ago?

Well, the guy holds up his ID at the beginning of the video showing his name is Zak Carter and the letter (that I also remember reading and noticed the similarity) is signed with the same name.

I think it may be safe to assume it is the same person.

thexjib
01-20-2008, 12:09 AM
bump

mrchubbs
01-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Any chance someone can organize a "Video Message From A Soldier/Veteran Bomb"?

Wouldn't it be amazing to see personal video messages like this from active duty and veterans inundate youtube and other video sharing sites? That would be powerful.

A dream? Probably.

Enjoy.

libertarian4321
01-20-2008, 12:11 AM

The name on the article and in the video are the same.

afmatt
01-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Any chance someone can organize a "Video Message From A Soldier/Veteran Bomb"?

Wouldn't it be amazing to see personal video messages like this from active duty and veterans inundate youtube and other video sharing sites? That would be powerful.

A dream? Probably.

Enjoy.

It would be awesome - but many of us are not in a position like he is. He's in the guard now which means that if the military tells him to get lost then he's got a job waiting on him - some of us depend on our check and can't risk telling our boss off in such an overt manner.

If you're a vet that left the service and reading this - do me a favor, make a similar movie and dedicate it to the folks that are still in that can't afford to take the risk of getting kicked out.

Shink
01-20-2008, 12:16 AM
I agree with you. I was in Iraq with the 82nd, 3-325 Airborne Infantry Regiment. Nothing in my life compares to kicking down a door yelling and rushing in with guns only to have the end of your barrel in the faces of a bunch of crying, terrified women and children. These are people, that in their own way seek freedom and peace.

I hope everyone will take time out of their lives to consider the plight of these people, and veterans and troops like myself who are forced by law to do this.

The above was my comment.

By the way---YES, this shit's real. He was reading what he wrote previously. If it was fake, he'd STILL get his ass fucking GRILLED.

mrchubbs
01-20-2008, 12:42 AM
bump...

this needs to be spread everywhere.

LandonCook
01-20-2008, 12:59 AM
bump

mrchubbs
01-20-2008, 01:07 AM
DIGG IT HERE... It was submitted awhile ago... just found the link:

http://digg.com/political_opinion/Why_will_a_U_S_Soldier_of_7_Years_cast_off_his_uni form

ronpauleddy
01-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Major Distribution Needed On This One!!!

The Good Doctor
01-20-2008, 01:15 AM
So, he wrote his thoughts out. So what?

Did anyone hear the pages being turned as he read them? Turn the volume up...

Starks
01-20-2008, 01:18 AM
DIGG!

http://digg.com/political_opinion/Why_will_a_U_S_Soldier_of_7_Years_cast_off_his_uni form

Dr.3D
01-20-2008, 01:33 AM
When I was in the military, I was told I could not comment to the media about anything I thought may be wrong or even right with the military. I was told I would be up for a courts martial if I did. I really didn't want to find out if they were bluffing or not.

Zym
01-20-2008, 01:34 AM
This video is not going to help us with the people we need to win over, namely the Republican base. While heart felt, and probably truthful, Republicans do not want to see soldiers in uniform criticizing their government. It won't play well to the population as a whole either. It was Kerry's testimony in front of congress in uniform that sank him. Don't let your personal views get in the way of the message that needs to get out.

Just like blowback, our actions can have unintended consequences.

Chabsfromcanada
01-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Would this be defined as "home grown terrorism"?

nodope0695
01-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Bump from an Active Duty Navy person who agrees wholeheartedly with the Sgt. in that video.

ProfNo
01-20-2008, 01:52 AM
This guy is a true patriot.

There are a lot of people like this in the military. Most join to defend this country and what it is founded on.

Victrix
01-20-2008, 01:55 AM
Heart felt story and message.

But he could probably have gotten away with most of it if he just showed his ID card and wasn't wearing his uniform. Thats the big no-no, but he wanted to go for the dramatic effect.

I wish him the best in light of whatever administrative action they may take upon him.

nodope0695
01-20-2008, 01:56 AM

When he holds up his ID card, you can see his last name is Carter, the last three letters of his first name are "ery" as in "Zachery", and he introduces himself as Sgt Zack Carter. I think that pretty much confirms the authenticity.

He's a brave dude for doing that. If the Army wanted to pursue it, he could face UCMJ Art. 15, Non Judicial Punishment, where he could be awarded reduction of rank, forfiture of pay, and confinement/restriction. I doubt they'd boot him out for it, but it could cause him some trouble. The guy's definately got balls.

nodope0695
01-20-2008, 02:00 AM
This video is not going to help us with the people we need to win over, namely the Republican base. While heart felt, and probably truthful, Republicans do not want to see soldiers in uniform criticizing their government. It won't play well to the population as a whole either. It was Kerry's testimony in front of congress in uniform that sank him. Don't let your personal views get in the way of the message that needs to get out.

Just like blowback, our actions can have unintended consequences.

I don't think his intent was to win anybody over. He was making a statement of his moral disagreement with the direction this nation is taking, at risk of punishment. His opinion is not a rare one in the military, and he speaks for thousands of us who volunteered to serve.

colecrowe
01-26-2008, 05:53 PM
bump