PDA

View Full Version : Florida's looking good

DjLoTi
01-19-2008, 08:11 PM
I'll post up more news as it becomes available

After all, we have beat Giuliani 5 out of 6 times. Give yourself a little credit, and the movement. We're taking over this country.

Give me liberty
01-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Do u think ron paul might win first place or third in FL?

sgrooms
01-19-2008, 08:15 PM
"more" news implies there was some news to begin with?

Alabama Supporter
01-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Florida will probably be worse than SC IMO.

mokkan88
01-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Florida's not looking good. I hear some of the Florida precinct leaders aren't doing their jobs.

Give me liberty
01-19-2008, 08:19 PM
WELL whats the news?

steph3n
01-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I think a 4th place finish in Fl would be tops, and it's not worth campaigning here from official IMO as these folks are guiliani sellouts.

PaultheSaint
I was just in the West Palm area. I seen no yard signs anywhere. All I seen was a group of 20 Obamba supporters on a corner at one point of my trip.

tsetsefly
i hope its not another call center update, that is not news, imo...

DjLoTi
You guys are wayyy underestimating Florida.

rfbz
WELL whats the news?

He's doing some google news searches on Ron Paul, he'll get back to us

Alabama Supporter
01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
The price to play in FL is not worth it if you can't win.

steph3n
01-19-2008, 08:23 PM
The price to play in FL is not worth it if you can't win.

since it is winner take all, you are right

MaidenFan
01-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I heard from a guy from FL that there's nothing but RP signs on the ground. Theoretically we should be strong in FL because Dr. Paul's fiscal policy should be favored by all the seniors w/ fixed incomes. I think we should do better than SC, fourth is reasonable, third would be nice.

Mr. 9/11 is gonna pull out all the stops for this one though, he basically has to win FL to get back into this race.

steph3n
01-19-2008, 08:27 PM
I heard from a guy from FL that there's nothing but RP signs on the ground. Theoretically we should be strong in FL because Dr. Paul's fiscal policy should be favored by all the seniors w/ fixed incomes. I think we should do better than SC, fourth is reasonable, third would be nice.

Mr. 9/11 is gonna pull out all the stops for this one though, he basically has to win FL to get back into this race.

they don't care about fiscal policy.

mcgraw_wv
01-19-2008, 08:27 PM
There is more to Florida than West Palm Beach and Miami where all the snow birds go...

Jacksonville is HUGE, Tampa... I mean guys, if you remember the Tampa Republican debate, we crushed all candidate with supporters who showed up...

Plus there is a TON of libertarian people in the clearwater area, they actually have libertarians in the local government there...

I see Ron Paul signs all OVER Jacksonville...

Sure you might have most of the transplants voting for Rudy, but there are no signs, and no support for him in the public space...

Romney is less than 3 miles from me right now, at UNF...

rooteroa
01-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Are you and ghemminger the same person? Jesus fuck, I've been defending him for weeks but enough of these vague topics. If you have something REAL to say then post it, if not then go back in your hole.

Leslie Webb
01-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Won't the blimp be in Florida?
Will Ron be in the MSNBC debate on Thursday, Jan. 24?

Give me liberty
01-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Won't the blimp be in Florida?
Will Ron be in the MSNBC debate on Thursday, Jan. 24?

yes he is in the debate check his site :)

mcgraw_wv
01-19-2008, 08:33 PM
The Blimp was all over the bowl games here in Florida... most out of staters though go to those games...

Ninja Homer
01-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Florida is only worth putting money into right now if there is a reasonable chance of winning it. It's a winner-take-all state, and even 2nd place doesn't mean MSM will give any attention to Ron Paul.

DjLoTi
01-19-2008, 08:36 PM
I actually live in FL so I guess if you don't want my vote I'll go away.

mcgraw_wv
01-19-2008, 08:36 PM
He has been running radio commercials, but I think as well that as a winner take all state, not too much war chest should be blown on it...

Someone said at a minimum we need 5 wins... So we really need to just kick butt in everystate that the others can't afford to campaign in.

Cindy
01-19-2008, 08:37 PM

I live here, am surrounded by 8 meetups busting ass and spending a ton of their own money, and I think you are over estimating Florida.

Come canvass here and you'll start to understand.

The suppport Paul has here is very active and enthused. It's my understanding that this state also has the most individual doners to the campaign.

However, this state has a population of about 25,000,000 people. Like the grassroots without any help from HQ is really going to do much, but what we have already done, take him from 0-1% to 4-5%.

We have counties larger then NH.

Come help canvas if you can and maybe we can get a respectable 4th here.

DjLoTi
01-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, Florida is a big state, and at least from my side, it's either Ron Paul or Huckabee, with a splash of fred ... who knows, if you're not first you're last I guess, but at least we'll go down fighting.

mcgraw_wv
01-19-2008, 08:39 PM
I live here, am surrounded by 8 meetups busting ass and spending a ton of their own money, and I think you are over estimating Florida.

Come canvass here and you'll start to understand.

The suppport Paul has here is very active and enthused. It's my understanding that this state also has the most individual doners to the campaign.

However, this state has a population of about 25,000,000 people. Like the grassroots without any help from HQ is really going to do much, but what we have already done, take him from 0-1% to 4-5%.

We have counties larger then NH.

Come help canvas if you can and maybe we can get a respectable 4th here.

Ditto... There is a lot of support here...
But I do not think we can take a win yet... the wins come with momentum... we got second today, and another 5th... we need to bubble up to a 2nd consistantly until we blow our wad on a state... like CALI! as a winner take all state, it may not be worth the money.

Now as a resident... Im going to do what I can to support Ron Paul and canvas.

rfbz
01-19-2008, 08:41 PM

whether you vote for Ron Paul or not is up to a few people on a forum?

grizzums
01-19-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't think Florida should be ignored but look at this map and tell me where Paul's campaign should be focused (resource wise)...........draw a line down from Montana to Texas and head west....these are the areas where Paul has the best chance to get some first place finishes imho...

http://ronpaulgraphs.com/donors.html

DjLoTi
01-19-2008, 08:44 PM
If Las Vegas can vote then so can Miami

steph3n
01-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Well, Florida is a big state, and at least from my side, it's either Ron Paul or Huckabee, with a splash of fred ... who knows, if you're not first you're last I guess, but at least we'll go down fighting.

you aren't living in reality. Sorry

steph3n
01-19-2008, 08:45 PM
If Las Vegas can vote then so can Miami

and RP will be good to get 6% here in Miami. Lots of signs me nothing we had NH PLASTERED with signage!

Alabama Supporter
01-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Unless you have "googled' Ron Paul in FL, you probably don't know about him. He probably has been mentioned less than a dozen times on the evening news.

Seriously, there is a major MSM blackout.

DjLoTi
01-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I think Ron Paul's come on twice on my local news, and there are signs and people everywhere. I guess no one lives in my county... lol... well that doesn't surprise me at all

RonRules
01-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Sorry to repeat myself, but send DVD's to older Repulbicans. ALL of them.

That's the absolute cheapest way to win a good standing in Florida.

Giuliani is dead. Thompson is on life support. Huckabee has NO money. McCain is mostly broke. They wont' have money for TV ads.

1 mil buys 390,000 DVD's. Every Repulbican Senior in Florida would have one.

We cannot afford to loose momnetum

pennycat
01-19-2008, 09:05 PM
How interesting that the arm-chair quarterbacks and the wanna-be political pundits are now weighing in on whether to fight for Florida. Oh, that they would get out from behind their computer screens and do something for the rEVOLution. I know, I know, some of the above posters have worked hard. But I'll lay odds the majority have done far too little to accord them the title of 'campaign strategist.'

I for one am damn proud of what the Florida Meetup groups have done. Nameless posters that talk this kind of trash a pathetic.

steph3n
01-19-2008, 09:06 PM
How interesting that the arm-chair quarterbacks and the wanna-be political pundits are now weighing in on whether to fight for Florida. Oh, that they would get out from behind their computer screens and do something for the rEVOLution. I know, I know, some of the above posters have worked hard. But I'll lay odds the majority have done far too little to accord them the title of 'campaign strategist.'

I for one am damn proud of what the Florida Meetup groups have done. Nameless posters that talk this kind of trash a pathetic.

Nick,

It is just a reality of winner take all that is setting in for me. I am trying to get people to focus on what will get votes, not make us feel good.
you have met me, and i have worked a lot for the campaign in TX, NH, and some here in FL. I am not going from behind the screen only.

SWATH
01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Giuliani is great at scarring the bejeezus out of all the old folks with islamofascist muslims, so he'll do fine.

kushaze
01-19-2008, 09:11 PM
sorry.

Starwind
01-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Focus on California.

RonRules
01-19-2008, 09:14 PM

I have three RP activities tomorrow starting at 8:30. Banner making, Orange County Fair, Costa Mesa sign waving.

I don't know who you were addressing, but based on the Nevada results, it's clear that we have to target older folks that stay at home and watch a lot of TV. We need to send them DVD's, particularly DVD's that are specifically targeted to senior citizens. i.e. No Revolution talk, no yelling in bullhorns, no strippers, etc.

steph3n
01-19-2008, 09:16 PM
I have three RP activities tomorrow starting at 8:30. Banner making, Orange County Fair, Costa Mesa sign waving.

I don't know who you were addressing, but based on the Nevada results, it's clear that we have to target older folks that stay at home and watch a lot of TV. We need to send them DVD's, particularly DVD's that are specifically targeted to senior citizens. i.e. No Revolution talk, no yelling in bullhorns, no strippers, etc.

Yep, grassroots focus door to door, the ONLY way a change will be made.

Feelgood
01-19-2008, 09:20 PM

You are SO right. :cool:

AlexMerced
01-19-2008, 09:21 PM

i hope so, Mccain wins florida, it's gonna get a lot harder for us.

Giuliani and Mccain must lose florida

steph3n
01-19-2008, 09:22 PM

have you gone door to door and seen ths "underestimating" yourself? sounds to me more like some RP supporters are spending too much time among their peers

mtmedlin
01-19-2008, 09:24 PM
NOt to disagree with people but Florida is my area. I actually did my thesis in college (Poli Sci Major) specifically on the I-4 corridor. Ron isnt going to win this state. 4th at best. McCain will go over great with the over 60 crowd, which is the largest voting block. Romney will most likely take second. I would put the Guiliana in third but close to second and Huckabee not that far behind. If fred doesnt drop tomorrow, which I suspect he wont, mainly becuase the big inner circle guys in florida are sucking up to him, even Crist but Freds popularity is falling because he is getting the rep as the guy who cant close the deal, this is why i think RP can come in fourth and finish freds run. I also think that this is where Huck makes his deal with Romney and gets out but that last part is just a gut feeling.

steph3n
01-19-2008, 09:26 PM
NOt to disagree with people but Florida is my area. I actually did my thesis in college (Poli Sci Major) specifically on the I-4 corridor. Ron isnt going to win this state. 4th at best. McCain will go over great with the over 60 crowd, which is the largest voting block. Romney will most likely take second. I would put the Guiliana in third but close to second and Huckabee not that far behind. If fred doesnt drop tomorrow, which I suspect he wont, mainly becuase the big inner circle guys in florida are sucking up to him, even Crist but Freds popularity is falling because he is getting the rep as the guy who cant close the deal, this is why i think RP can come in fourth and finish freds run. I also think that this is where Huck makes his deal with Romney and gets out but that last part is just a gut feeling.

I have to agree with the analysis except maybe the last part, I don't think Huck will work a deal with romney

i2ambler
01-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Florida is a closed primary... I personally know 5 people that would vote for Ron Paul - if they were registered republican. A huge portion of people just wont go out and vote, because they are registered democrat or indie.. I told them about the deadline - but people are generally lazy, no matter how many times you remind them..

GodOfThunder
01-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Good thing about Florida: 3 of the Top 10 largest Universities in the nation with UCF, UF and USF and FSU isn't far behind.

Bad thing about Florida: A bunch of retired folk. Hopefully a lot of the old snowbirds who are down here are still registered in their northeastern and midwestern states.

Cindy
01-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Exactly about ignoring what you hear about the "lot's of signs", and yes there are. People here have bought hundreds a piece and put them out.

For every 40-100 signs you see, figure there is 1-2 voters behind them. We are spending a lot of our own money where HQ isn't trying to promote Paul here.

In my area, people are strong and stubborn on Rudy and Huck, and a little for Mitt.

Many like Paul and know who he is, yet they drank the, he can't win koolaide.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
01-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Dr. Paul is grooving with momentum. We will do well in Florida.

On a side note, become a precinct captain: https://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/

MrsW
01-19-2008, 09:50 PM
they don't care about fiscal policy.

they care about taxes coming out of their ss checks every month. ;)

MrsW
01-19-2008, 09:57 PM

Has anyone joined the letter writing campaign? I've been doing it.... did 100 so far (75 of those to FL). As I understand it, those address lists are mainly focusing on the 60+ demographic.

Here's the link for those of you who haven't seen/heard.

http://www.louislogan.com/letters/index.asp

Cindy
01-19-2008, 10:02 PM
I think Ron Paul's come on twice on my local news, and there are signs and people everywhere. I guess no one lives in my county... lol... well that doesn't surprise me at all

What county are you in?

Ninja Homer
01-19-2008, 10:05 PM

Sorry, no offense meant by this, I'm just trying to guess what Ron Paul will do.

There are 4 people almost tied for first in Florida. They are all headed there now to spend all their time and money. The registration deadline is already passed, so to get new voters, you have to convert registered Republicans. It's winner-take-all, so there are going to be 3 big losers coming out of Florida (maybe 4, depending on what Thompson does). Florida is only 57 rather than 114 delegates this time around. The biggest thing they are fighting for is a bump on Super Tuesday.

The only other way to make Florida a winning situation is to spend Ron Paul's time and money on getting a big head start on other Super Tuesday states that the others are all ignoring while they fight over Florida. It's just the smart thing to do.

Here's a chart of Super Tuesday states:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Duper_Tuesday#Republican
Everybody should take a look at it. It really puts things in perspective.

Ron Paul will be in Florida on Jan 24th for the debate. I suggest you talk to the campaign and set up the biggest damn rally ever. And make sure to get the media there!

Don't give up. The message still needs to be spread. For money. For the general election. For the revolution. For ever.

JS4Pat
01-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Has anyone joined the letter writing campaign?

Message sent out last night to the Jacksonville Meetup Group...

Thank you Jacksonville Meetup members who have participated in our direct mail effort. It has been an arduous several months as we scrambled to reach as many people as possible.

Together we have sent out 22,643 pieces mail (2000 of which went to Iowa) at a cost of $4772.74

Personally I have received several phone calls and one of my coworkers came to me with the letter he received. Others in our group have have been contacted as a result of the mailing.

My friends, our work has made a difference. Lets see this thing through to the end with the little time we have remaining. Let's give it everything we got in the coming days.

ckhagen
01-19-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm in the Panhandle and we have a completely different demographic, for the most part, than the rest of FL. The vote goes 80% to a Republican up here... which is why every R candidate makes a point of coming up here (we rarely, if ever, see a DEM campaign here). If a Republican is going to win FL, they MUST carry this area. MUST. Historically it has to happen. We need to get RP here for a campaign stop, he's the only one who hasn't come so far.

We have a large military population. We don't see many Rudy supporters at all up here, it's split McCain/Romney with a little Huck thrown in. But, a local forum here ran a poll and RP took second to McCain, and had a LARGE margin over the rest of the candidates. I was actually really surprised at the number of votes considering the small population of my area.

We're doing ok, but the canvassing has been hard because it's been raining for three days (went out yesterday for a few hours though) and most of the streets in my area are dirt (red clay) roads, which are horrible to try and canvass in the rain. Also, the houses are very spread out, hidden in the woods, etc... There's just not enough of us to cover it all in time. We're going to start prioritizing it down to subdivisions only so that we can get as many as possible :(

fuzzybekool
01-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Florida is important because if we take enough votes from Guiliani and he doesn't finish 1st. Guiliani is pretty much finished.

Guiliani is banking his whole campaign on winning Florida and RP supporters gotta make sure that doesn't happen.

UtahApocalypse
01-19-2008, 10:36 PM
yes he is in the debate check his site :)

Unless the change the rules.