PDA

View Full Version : **Love the Ron Paul Blimp/Hate the Ron Paul Blimp..somewhere in the middle?

Mckarnin
01-19-2008, 08:09 PM
This is Katharine Memole, project manger for the Ron Paul Blimp and I'll be broadcasting live on Justin.tv/blimpette at 9:30pm EST. Come over with your questions and comments.

Thanks.

Mckarnin
01-19-2008, 08:12 PM
This is Katharine Memole, project manger for the Ron Paul Blimp and I'll be broadcasting live on Justin.tv/blimpette at 9:30pm EST. Come over with your questions and comments.

Thanks.

Bump

Cowlesy
01-19-2008, 08:13 PM
I love the blimp, in fact some guy named Bryce even got ahold of my office phone number and called me to solicit money, but in my view it's just not an effective way to touch people on the local level.

It's an AWESOME project, and has exposed people to the name Ron Paul...but it's the grassroot'rs pounding the pavement that make a difference.

That's just my opinion. I hope you guys can find folks to keep the blimp up through the 5th!

amy31416
01-19-2008, 08:15 PM
I am ambivalent on the blimp.

FreeTraveler
01-19-2008, 08:16 PM
I love the blimp, in fact some guy named Bryce even got ahold of my office phone number and called me to solicit money, but in my view it's just not an effective way to touch people on the local level.

It's an AWESOME project, and has exposed people to the name Ron Paul...but it's the grassroot'rs pounding the pavement that make a difference.

That's just my opinion. I hope you guys can find folks to keep the blimp up through the 5th!

The beauty is that it opens people up to approach by the grassroots. Canvassing is easier if they've seen the blimp.

Bodhi
01-19-2008, 08:33 PM
The blimp is a money pit imho.

Xenophage
01-19-2008, 08:37 PM
The blimp is fucking awesome. Katherine, you're fucking awesome too. And hot.

Nuff said.

Edu
01-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Donation counter is on the site:
http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/

Spirit of '76
01-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Blimp? What blimp? ;)

RPSignbomb
01-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Alot of good the blimp did us floating over SC. The blimp SUCKS!

kaleidoscope eyes
01-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Love it! ;)

JustBcuz
01-19-2008, 09:11 PM
The blimp has been a nice symbol for the r3voLution, and it got some really nice press, and it's been a lot of fun. It was a clever idea that many people never thought would happen, and it's a testament to what the People can really pull off when they're motivated.

But I think perhaps it's time is through.

It's just not packing them into polling booths in SC.

RonRules
01-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Support the Blimp till Feb 5 at least. That's easy to do and worth it.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-19-2008, 11:33 PM
I like the blimp. I hope it keeps going.

People seem to be scapegoating the blimp for the poor showing in South Carolina. :rolleyes:

acroso
01-19-2008, 11:38 PM
LOVE...but it's hard to fund the damn thing...I wish it came easier somehow.

crusader
01-19-2008, 11:42 PM
I like the blimp. I hope it keeps going.

People seem to be scapegoating the blimp for the poor showing in South Carolina. :rolleyes:

Down with the in-effective blimp.

Up with effective chip-ins.

Blimp had its purpose, and now its time to evolve the revolution to the next stage.

Those that hide behind the blimp any further than this point as of now and demand increased welfare for this project are hampering the campaign for their own personal gain.

Mckarnin
01-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Thanks! We are just the air support but troops are essential. :)

Mckarnin
01-19-2008, 11:51 PM
The blimp is fucking awesome. Katherine, you're fucking awesome too. And hot.

Nuff said.

LOL! Thank you. Did you come to Blimpette tonight?

yongrel
01-19-2008, 11:52 PM
You're right! The blimp is a really effective grassroots device! The hundreds of thousands of dollars we poured into the blimp instead of the official campaign were totally worth it! It's why we won South Carolina!

Mckarnin
01-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Alot of good the blimp did us floating over SC. The blimp SUCKS!

Hey, you have never liked the blimp...but I did ask for people who hate it. :D

Soccrmastr
01-19-2008, 11:56 PM
You're right! The blimp is a really effective grassroots device! The hundreds of thousands of dollars we poured into the blimp instead of the official campaign were totally worth it! It's why we won South Carolina!

I like you....

and the blimp is costing a TON of money. Do you guys realize how many primetime TV cable ads could have been bought with all the money put into the blimp??

cero
01-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I think the blimp has served its purpose. Its time to move on.
and by the way, to the people scapegoating the blimp for the poor showing in SC, please grow up.

yongrel
01-20-2008, 12:02 AM
At this point, the media coverage we would get from the blimp leaving the skies forever would be worth more than it continuing to inflate itself with inflated dollars.

RP4Pres2008
01-20-2008, 12:03 AM
GREAT job tonight Katharine, the show was awesome.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-20-2008, 12:08 AM
That $600K could have bought us HUNDREDS of billboards across Nevada, allowed us to canvass every business in the state, hand out "No Taxes on Tips" cards to every waiter, waitress, and bartender in the state.... etc.

I bet if the $600K was put into really great grassroots projects in NV, we could have gotten over 20% today, or better.

Instead it was squandered on this blimp ride for a handful of people, who apparently don't want the "ride" to end. The only press it really attracts is "oddball news" type stories, which is the LAST thing this campaign needs.

bulloncoins
01-20-2008, 12:25 AM
I think that it was awsome that the blimp ever flew......but I don't think it is feasible to keep it up at these prices for the return we have seen on it.

I will not be putting more money into it. Most of the press seemed too local to do any good, and looking at the returns from SC.....even that seems negligible at best.

While it is awe inspiring to the grassroots, they are not who we are trying to reach. Flying back and forth over highways and circles around cities just did not bring us much.

But the blimp did make history....for that you should all be proud!

dkim68
01-20-2008, 12:25 AM
If the owner of this blimp business were a true Ron Paul supporter he would only accept what it costs to fly the blimp and not try to profit so much. At a minimum I would accept $25-$30 a day for the effort. That's all. But instead he's using this opportunity in the hopes that he can retire early.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 12:28 AM
GREAT job tonight Katharine, the show was awesome.

Thanks! Did you chat?

FTL
01-20-2008, 12:29 AM
The blimp would be cool if you would land it on whitehouse lawn. That would get good news coverage.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 12:30 AM
The blimp would be cool if you would land it on whitehouse lawn. That would get good news coverage.

We will...for Ron Paul's inauguration:).

scandinaviany3
01-20-2008, 01:10 AM
it was a good idea for the super bowl or one time shock to get people to ask who ron is.

It served a purpose that is now over...

Better to do newspaper, std/attention getting tv ads, as well as hard hitting issue ads to shake out the truth.

This is our country and the message should be on every tv everywhere not just in our heads.

STD media is the only way to reach the bulk of america.

FTL
01-20-2008, 01:18 AM
I think the blimp would be good in an actual super bowl commercial.

Ron Paul needs to do an educational program on national TV to school the public.

Ross Perot did somthing like that back when he ran.

I don't know what that would cost, but it would be better than more blimp flying.

pacelli
01-20-2008, 01:42 AM
I've been going back and forth between hating the blimp and supporting it. Personally I can't afford to keep funding it, but, would still love to see Giuliani's reaction in Florida when it flies over him at one of his rallies. If the free market doesn't want to keep funding it to that point, might I suggest petitioning the airship company to put a 'hold' on the remaining days until Feb 5. I'm sure the banners can be put back up on it in little time.

Dave Pedersen
01-20-2008, 01:49 AM
I think the blimp can make a big difference in Florida, much more so than South Carolina where so many were voting for Huckabee no matter what just because he is a minister. Many others in South Carolina were voting for the military contracts their economy is so dependent on.

I think South Carolina was a very tough state no matter what methods were used and does not accurately test the blimp's ability to gain support for Ron Paul's campaign.

tpreitzel
01-20-2008, 02:00 AM
I think the blimp can make a big difference in Florida, much more so than South Carolina where so many were voting for Huckabee no matter what just because he is a minister. Many others in South Carolina were voting for the military contracts their economy is so dependent on.

I think South Carolina was a very tough state no matter what methods were used and does not accurately test the blimp's ability to gain support for Ron Paul's campaign.

I tend to agree. Florida should be the litmus test for the blimp. Anyway, I think having the blimp fly over a major vacation destination like Florida must have some beneficial impact for the campaign. Personally, I think the blimp is a great idea, but maybe its time is passing for the campaign. I don't really know, but Florida will give us further information.

fmontez
01-20-2008, 02:01 AM
Why would anyone not love the blimp?

bucfish
01-20-2008, 02:03 AM
The blimp is awesome it got coverage here in Florida. Even my parents mentioned it as they are Faux news sheep. But they got excited when they saw the blimp.

RonRules
01-20-2008, 08:08 AM
We need older voters. Nevada Republicans were 45% of the voters.

Florida is a great place for the blimp.

constituent
01-20-2008, 08:15 AM
at this point, the real question is...

what does it cost just to buy a blimp versus what it has cost to rent it?

szczebrzeszyn
01-20-2008, 08:24 AM
We need older voters. Nevada Republicans were 45% of the voters.

And what would old people do, google Ron Paul? They probably don't even know what does "to google" mean.

Thomas Paine
01-20-2008, 09:49 AM
It's time to ground the blimp. Continued funding of the blimp is draining away scarce financial resources from the campaign's GOTV efforts on the ground. The blimp was a great campaign gimmick back in November and early December 2007, and possibly helped attract new donors to the campaign. But like all good things, it must come to an end at some point. The blimp has far outlived its newsworthiness and is long past the point of diminishing returns for the campaign. If you really want to get the biggest bang for your buck, the money that would otherwise be used to fund the blimp should be used to fund a direct mail program to senior citizens (senior citizens love to read their mail, even junk mail) to deliver Ron Paul's message to them besides "Ron Paul Revolution" or "Google Ron Paul."

Nathan Hale
01-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Thanks.

Change the sign to "Vote for Ron Paul" and fly it over states on the day of their primary. It's crucial, however, that the sign change from "Who Is Ron Paul". Primaries are underway, a more assertion message is needed.

Craig_R
01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
It's time to ground the blimp. Continued funding of the blimp is draining away scarce financial resources from the campaign's GOTV efforts on the ground. The blimp was a great campaign gimmick back in November and early December 2007, and possibly helped attract new donors to the campaign. But like all good things, it must come to an end at some point. The blimp has far outlived its newsworthiness and is long past the point of diminishing returns for the campaign. If you really want to get the biggest bang for your buck, the money that would otherwise be used to fund the blimp should be used to fund a direct mail program to senior citizens (senior citizens love to read their mail, even junk mail) to deliver Ron Paul's message to them besides "Ron Paul Revolution" or "Google Ron Paul."

+1

Xenophage
01-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I always thought "Who is Ron Paul?" was a play on "Who is John Galt?" which I loved. I think its great!

firebirdnation
01-20-2008, 04:54 PM

QFT

Soccrmastr
01-20-2008, 04:59 PM

yeah, absolutely agree. Or everyone use your money to fund your canvassing efforts as Precinct leaders https://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 05:04 PM

I am borrowing some from my reply to your very similar message in the other blimp thread..

I'm not sure how you can contend that the blimp is receiving diminishing returns after seeing the television media coverage at this location:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=94039

One thing that needs to be clear to everyone here is that the money that funded the blimp wasn't sitting in an account somewhere and people were like, "hmmm, how do we spend this?". Every bit of money that has been spent on the blimp was specifically received for the blimp when people purchased advertising on it at our website (http://www.ronpaulblimp.com). This money was paid in response our message, goals and advertising of the blimp.

If there are other initiatives that can be proven more effective on the free market then they will receive funding of their own. The blimp did not use "the campaign's scarce resources", it garnered its own customer base and its own resources.

mdevour
01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Everybody tear down the blimp. Everybody tell people not to contribute to the blimp. Everybody say the blimp WAS great but it's time to abandon it...

The blimp is fundraising again, we mustn't let THAT get any legs!

/sarcasm

:rolleyes:

Mike D.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Everybody tear down the blimp. Everybody tell people not to contribute to the blimp. Everybody say the blimp WAS great but it's time to abandon it...

The blimp is fundraising again, we mustn't let THAT get any legs!

/sarcasm

:rolleyes:

Mike D.

Why of course! :p

FSP-Rebel
01-20-2008, 05:22 PM
I do like the blimp, but I think more emphasis needs to be placed on the grassroots raising money for targeted tv ads in key states. I would like to think that at this stage in the game, we can finance a blimp, tv ads, and keep national tight.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I do like the blimp, but I think more emphasis needs to be placed on the grassroots raising money for targeted tv ads in key states. I would like to think that at this stage in the game, we can finance a blimp, tv ads, and keep national tight.

Same here :)

Thomas Paine
01-20-2008, 07:13 PM
I am borrowing some from my reply to your very similar message in the other blimp thread..

I'm not sure how you can contend that the blimp is receiving diminishing returns after seeing the television media coverage at this location:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=94039

One thing that needs to be clear to everyone here is that the money that funded the blimp wasn't sitting in an account somewhere and people were like, "hmmm, how do we spend this?". Every bit of money that has been spent on the blimp was specifically received for the blimp when people purchased advertising on it at our website (http://www.ronpaulblimp.com). This money was paid in response our message, goals and advertising of the blimp.

If there are other initiatives that can be proven more effective on the free market then they will receive funding of their own. The blimp did not use "the campaign's scarce resources", it garnered its own customer base and its own resources.

There is no dispute that the greatest media impact regarding the blimp occurred in the first half of December 2007. I've seen the list of media coverage so I am basing my foregoing assertion on grounded fact.

More importantly, whether the blimp is worth millions of dollars of free media or not is irrelevant. The question is whether the blimp is getting people to vote for Ron Paul. I submit that the blimp is not convincing a sufficient number of people to vote for Ron Paul to justify the expense of keeping the blimp airborne.

Case in point, Ghouliani has spent tens of millions of dollars and has finished behind Ron Paul in four out of five states. Thus, even though Ghouliani has spent more money than Ron Paul, Ghouliani is getting less bang for his buck. Similarly, we are getting less bang for our bucks spent on keeping the blimp airborne than we would if the same donations were utilized for GOTV efforts on the ground. In short, the blimp has passed the point of diminishing returns and is draining money away from the national campaign. It's time to ground the blimp.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
There is no dispute that the greatest media impact regarding the blimp occurred in the first half of December 2007. I've seen the list of media coverage so I am basing my foregoing assertion on grounded fact.

More importantly, whether the blimp is worth millions of dollars of free media or not is irrelevant. The question is whether the blimp is getting people to vote for Ron Paul. I submit that the blimp is not convincing a sufficient number of people to vote for Ron Paul to justify the expense of keeping the blimp airborne.

Case in point, Ghouliani has spent tens of millions of dollars and has finished behind Ron Paul in four out of five states. Thus, even though Ghouliani has spent more money than Ron Paul, Ghouliani is getting less bang for his buck. Similarly, we are getting less bang for our bucks spent on keeping the blimp airborne than we would if the same donations were utilized for GOTV efforts on the ground. In short, the blimp has passed the point of diminishing returns and is draining money away from the national campaign. It's time to ground the blimp.

If other people agree with you they will not continue to answer our requests for purchases of Ron Paul Blimp advertising time. Instead of shooting the blimp down repeatedly in every thread I start why don't you come up with your own high-impact initiative to get out the vote for Ron Paul and pitch it to people? Or, pick your favorite ongoing Ron Paul project and support it.

We at the Ron Paul Blimp are working in partnership with several other Ron Paul initiatives both for-profit and non-profit. In business terms some of us are competitors but in spirit we are partners with a common goal in mind.

Don't waste your time shooting the blimp or any other project down. Spend your time promoting Ron Paul and whatever initiatives you do like. I'd actually like to know what your favorite Ron Paul initiative is. Please post a link.

muh_roads
01-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Trevor Lyman was such a genius raising money for Paul. The blimp seemed to be a waste of his time which should've been put to use somewhere else.

Nobody knew until it was too late, but if the fund raising had been spent on putting ads in every county akin to Jefferson County, IA, I wonder how much better of we'd be at this point?

ItsTime
01-20-2008, 07:29 PM
TREVOR LYMAN did NOTHING TO RAISE MONEY FOR RON PAUL!
he created a website THAT IS IT. The only idea that was his is this blimp. Which has raised minus 600k.

Trevor Lyman was such a genius raising money for Paul. The blimp seemed to be a waste of his time which should've been put to use somewhere else.

Nobody knew until it was too late, but if the fund raising had been spent on putting ads in every county akin to Jefferson County, IA, I wonder how much better of we'd be at this point?

Thomas Paine
01-20-2008, 07:30 PM
If other people agree with you they will not continue to answer our requests for purchases of Ron Paul Blimp advertising time. Instead of shooting the blimp down repeatedly in every thread I start why don't you come up with your own high-impact initiative to get out the vote for Ron Paul and pitch it to people? Or, pick your favorite ongoing Ron Paul project and support it.

We at the Ron Paul Blimp are working in partnership with several other Ron Paul initiatives both for-profit and non-profit. In business terms some of us are competitors but in spirit we are partners with a common goal in mind.

Don't waste your time shooting the blimp or any other project down. Spend your time promoting Ron Paul and whatever initiatives you do like. I'd actually like to know what your favorite Ron Paul initiative is. Please post a link.

I totally agree that it is up to the supporter of Ron Paul whether they want to fund the blimp or not. No one is holding a gun to their heads telling them not to fund the blimp. However, I will do my part to further the ultimate goal of getting Ron Paul elected by providing my two cents on the merits or demerits of funding the blimp instead of funding the national campaign. As for my favorite Ron Paul initiative, it happens to be funding a coordinated GOTV effort on the ground that actually gets Ron Paul voters to the polls on election day and not some outdated campaign gimmick like the blimp.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 07:34 PM

If someone had set up a PAC or company to put ads up in every county in IA we might know. But no one did. You can't fault the blimp for the lack of initiatives you want. If there is something that you feel will be a better use of the money, put it together and promote it.

I work for the blimp but I am involved in a lot of different Ron Paul initiatives and have a couple side projects that I am going to try and get started.

This isn't an either/or proposition. There is untapped money in the RP grassroots pipeline and the right project will bring that money out. I'm sure there are blimp lovers who won't open their pocketbooks for other initiatives and blimp haters who are funding several other Ron Paul initiatives.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 07:40 PM
TREVOR LYMAN did NOTHING TO RAISE MONEY FOR RON PAUL!
he created a website THAT IS IT. The only idea that was his is this blimp. Which has raised minus 600k.

I would be interested to hear how much various Ron Paul Grassroots initiatives that are independent of the official Ron Paul campaign raised. I wouldn't be surprised if "the only idea that was his" has out raised ever other independent initiative out there... :D

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 07:42 PM
I totally agree that it is up to the supporter of Ron Paul whether they want to fund the blimp or not. No one is holding a gun to their heads telling them not to fund the blimp. However, I will do my part to further the ultimate goal of getting Ron Paul elected by providing my two cents on the merits or demerits of funding the blimp instead of funding the national campaign. As for my favorite Ron Paul initiative, it happens to be funding a coordinated GOTV effort on the ground that actually gets Ron Paul voters to the polls on election day and not some outdated campaign gimmick like the blimp.

Can you provide links to a site or further information for the GOTV initiative?

ItsTime
01-20-2008, 07:44 PM
You are assuming that raising money for the blimp is a good thing. This is my point exactly. The blimp sucked away 600k from the grassroots. He SPAMMED to get where he is... boarder line illegal. Using mailing lists THE GRASSROOTS created, for his personal gain.

I would be interested to hear how much various Ron Paul Grassroots initiatives that are independent of the official Ron Paul campaign raised. I wouldn't be surprised if "the only idea that was his" has out raised ever other independent initiative out there... :D

Exarel
01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Everyone including him knows he just made the site, what is the point? Initiative is what is needed. There are plenty of good ideas, make one of them into a reality and you'll get your donations. No need to rip other's heads, we are all working towards the same goals, some will have bad ideas, some will have good ideas. People will donate to what they think is a good idea if someone takes the initiative to act on it.

Thomas Paine
01-20-2008, 07:49 PM

Who has raised more money is a red herring argument. All the other GOP candidates, except perhaps Hunter and Huckabee, outraised Ron Paul in 2007. However, Ron Paul has done better than Ghouliani in almost every election and came in second in Nevada. The reason being that Ghouliani has spent his campaign funds in the most inefficient manner imaginable thereby getting less bang for his buck than Ron Paul. Therefore, the question is whether money for the blimp is getting the biggest bang for the buck in terms of getting Ron Paul sufficient votes to win primaries. I respectfully submit that the blimp is failing in achieving the foregoing objective. Perhaps if the blimp actually transported voters to the polls on election day, then maybe it would provide some evidence that it is generating actual votes for Ron Paul on election day. However, that would sure be one expensive transport to the polls. :D

ItsTime
01-20-2008, 07:50 PM
I want my piece of the pie for helping create the mailing list for Nov 5th. I worked hard to get that mailing list created much like other people. We did so thinking, like the google terms of service says, it was only going to be used for Nov 5th.

People could sue The Blimp for their time spent advertising Nov 5th. The grounds are there for it.

Everyone including him knows he just made the site, what is the point? Initiative is what is needed. There are plenty of good ideas, make one of them into a reality and you'll get your donations. No need to rip other's heads, we are all working towards the same goals, some will have bad ideas, some will have good ideas. People will donate to what they think is a good idea if someone takes the initiative to act on it.

Dave Pedersen
01-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah this whole tactic of shooting down the blimp project is totally baseless. Anyone who thinks there are better uses for the money should promote those uses. Telling people what NOT to do and what NOT to participate in is disgustingly tyrannical. Isn't it enough we have to fight MSM bias? We get it from fellow supporters who simply would rather destroy than create.

If you don't like the blimp just mind your own business. Promote what you DO like.

Thomas Paine
01-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Can you provide links to a site or further information for the GOTV initiative?

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/get-involved/

ItsTime
01-20-2008, 07:53 PM
we did, then trevor stole our hard work.

I want my piece of the pie for helping create the mailing list for Nov 5th. I worked hard to get that mailing list created much like other people. We did so thinking, like the google terms of service says, it was only going to be used for Nov 5th.

People could sue The Blimp for their time spent advertising Nov 5th. The grounds are there for it.

Yeah this whole tactic of shooting down the blimp project is totally baseless. Anyone who thinks there are better uses for the money should promote those uses. Telling people what NOT to do and what NOT to participate in is disgustingly tyrannical. Isn't it enough we have to fight MSM bias? We get it from fellow supporters who simply would rather destroy than create.

If you don't like the blimp just mind your own business. Promote what you DO like.

Thomas Paine
01-20-2008, 07:54 PM

Ridiculous argument. We tell people not to vote for Huckabee, or Thompson, or McCain, or Giuliani, or Romney, but to vote for Ron Paul instead. By your logic, Ron Paul supporters are "disgustingly tyrannical" for trying to persuade voters to vote for Ron Paul instead of the other GOP candidates. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head in order to prevent them from donating to the blimp. However, if a person is going to donate to the blimp instead of the campaign, then I am going to do my best to make sure they are making an informed decision.

Exarel
01-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Ridiculous argument. We tell people not to vote for Huckabee, or Thompson, or McCain, or Giuliani, or Romney, but to vote for Ron Paul instead. By your logic, Ron Paul supporters are "disgustingly tyrannical" for trying to persuade voters to vote for Ron Paul instead of the other GOP candidates. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head in order to prevent them from donating to the blimp. However, if a person is going to donate to the blimp instead of the campaign, then I am going to do my best to make sure they are making an informed decision.

That is completely fair and should be done. More people should be suggesting and initiating discussion on where money would be better spent. We do not need to resort to attacking each other, it can be done in a peaceful constructive progress-oriented manner. That would be plenty more worth our time than talking about stupid rumors.

ItsTime
01-20-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=95549

That is completely fair and should be done. More people should be suggesting and initiating discussion on where money would be better spent. We do not need to resort to attacking each other, it can be done in a peaceful constructive progress-oriented manner. That would be plenty more worth our time than talking about stupid rumors.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 08:10 PM
You are assuming that raising money for the blimp is a good thing. This is my point exactly. The blimp sucked away 600k from the grassroots. He SPAMMED to get where he is... boarder line illegal. Using mailing lists THE GRASSROOTS created, for his personal gain.

You are making false accusations against Trevor and lying.

Trevor had to start out where anyone here starts...promoting initiatives in the forums. Trevor didn't buy people's emails from someplace or hijack a pre-existing list. Every single person on Trevor's mailing list signed up to be on his mailing list through feed burner and they are free to unsubscribe if they feel he is spamming them.

Trevor has posted links to other initiatives on his sites and when people approach him with good ideas he helps them out.

ItsTime
01-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Nothing I have said was false. He used the hard work of others to promote his own project that he profited from, gained 15 mins of fame from and will most likely use in his resumes.

There was NO email list created for the blimp before the blimp started. ALL the mailing lists were created for MONEY BOMBS. Tell me how this is not fact? People signed up to those mailing lists thinking they were getting Ron Paul NOT FOR PROFIT updates. NOT FOR PERSONAL GAINS updates.

When I promoted those sites I was under the same assumption. As were many others.

You are making false accusations against Trevor and lying.

Trevor had to start out where anyone here starts...promoting initiatives in the forums. Trevor didn't buy people's emails from someplace or hijack a pre-existing list. Every single person on Trevor's mailing list signed up to be on his mailing list through feed burner and they are free to unsubscribe if they feel he is spamming them.

Trevor has posted links to other initiatives on his sites and when people approach him with good ideas he helps them out.

Exarel
01-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Sorry ItsTime, i read some of your posts out of context. I understand what you are saying, but i think the main issue is us (maybe not you, but most of us) being complacent and not working hard on trying to pick up other ideas. I used to think it was because of lack of organization. While i still think thats partly true, i can also see how donating money to one effort would make us less actively looking for other opportunities because of small wallets.

I feel that in the past month or two, the forum as a whole has been... less useful towards the goal of getting RP in office. I can't really blame the Blimp for that, but i do agree that active critism is healthy and needed. Maybe its too late.. but i think we still have some little bit of time to quickly refocus efforts on lowcost-highimpact initiatives that have been proven to get us votes.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=95549

That is a cool looking initiative. There is certainly enough time to get some ads in before the primary on the 1st.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Who has raised more money is a red herring argument. All the other GOP candidates, except perhaps Hunter and Huckabee, outraised Ron Paul in 2007. However, Ron Paul has done better than Ghouliani in almost every election and came in second in Nevada. The reason being that Ghouliani has spent his campaign funds in the most inefficient manner imaginable thereby getting less bang for his buck than Ron Paul. Therefore, the question is whether money for the blimp is getting the biggest bang for the buck in terms of getting Ron Paul sufficient votes to win primaries. I respectfully submit that the blimp is failing in achieving the foregoing objective. Perhaps if the blimp actually transported voters to the polls on election day, then maybe it would provide some evidence that it is generating actual votes for Ron Paul on election day. However, that would sure be one expensive transport to the polls. :D

My response was in reply to a post that implied that Trevor deserves no credit because the "only" initiative that was his idea has only raised 600k. I was just arguing that 600k for an independent initiative is a big accomplishment.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 08:24 PM

As to poll transport...yes, very expensive. :p

ItsTime
01-20-2008, 08:27 PM
HE did not do it. HE USED the grassroots to do it. He used people like me to pump up the MONEY BOMB MAILING LISTS and used the mailing list FOR PERSONAL GAIN. With that being said the 600k is a complete failure. He used mailing lists that created 11 million dollars and got 600k. that is a 5% return. very piss poor.

My response was in reply to a post that implied that Trevor deserves no credit because the "only" initiative that was his idea has only raised 600k. I was just arguing that 600k for an independent initiative is a big accomplishment.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 08:27 PM

Ok, I am really misunderstanding you...how did you create the mailing list? Also, what does this "People could sue The Blimp for their time spent advertising Nov 5th. The grounds are there for it.mean? That you could sue the blimp because you helped promote Nov 5th? That is ridiculous! If you told friends about my Blimpette justin.tv channel and helped make me popular and then I went over to another site and started making $$ with some of that fame...you would not be able to sue me.

Also, the mailing list is through feedburner..not Google..unless I am grossly mistaken.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 08:29 PM

We are supposed to be supporting eachother and I think promoting initiatives is much more powerful than shooting others down. Ron Paul tends to promote his ideas, not smear his opponents. I like to play nice.

Dave Pedersen
01-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I was wondering if there was underlying envy or bitterness against the blimp and now it comes out. The blimp is attacked because some people rightly or wrongly feel like they have been robbed. I think it is petty but that is just my opinion. I do think that attacking the blimp project because of some injustice by saying it is ineffective is not honest.

Some attack the blimp because they think HQ should get the money. The money is not yours and it is not mine it belongs to the people who give it. If you can convince them of a better use than do so but bashing the blimp is counterproductive.

The productive course is to promote an alternative. But then that would not satisfy the emotional grievance against Trevor at all. So then the blimp is bashed to get at Trevor. Now I understand some of the anti-blimp sentiment, that part which bases their negative opinion of the blimp on nothing at all yet persists with considerable dedication.

"if I can't have it nobody can"

ItsTime
01-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Feedburner is owned by google.

It is simple people promoted Nov 5th TO HELP GET A MAILING LIST. That mailing list was ONLY TO BE USED FOR THE 5TH. however he used it for other uses. That goes against google terms.

Ok, I am really misunderstanding you...how did you create the mailing list? Also, what does this "People could sue The Blimp for their time spent advertising Nov 5th. The grounds are there for it.mean? That you could sue the blimp because you helped promote Nov 5th? That is ridiculous! If you told friends about my Blimpette justin.tv channel and helped make me popular and then I went over to another site and started making $$ with some of that fame...you would not be able to sue me.

Also, the mailing list is through feedburner..not Google..unless I am grossly mistaken.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Nothing I have said was false. He used the hard work of others to promote his own project that he profited from, gained 15 mins of fame from and will most likely use in his resumes.

There was NO email list created for the blimp before the blimp started. ALL the mailing lists were created for MONEY BOMBS. Tell me how this is not fact? People signed up to those mailing lists thinking they were getting Ron Paul NOT FOR PROFIT updates. NOT FOR PERSONAL GAINS updates.

When I promoted those sites I was under the same assumption. As were many others.

The blimp was going to be done as a PAC until we found out that there was no way to do it as a PAC legally.

Exarel
01-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Well i don't think there was any meaningful personal gains here, i don't really question the intent and sincerity of Trevor.. but i think there is plenty of room to be upset or happy about the use or misuse of the money.

Thomas Paine
01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I was wondering if there was underlying envy or bitterness against the blimp and now it comes out. The blimp is attacked because some people rightly or wrongly feel like they have been robbed. I think it is petty but that is just my opinion. I do think that attacking the blimp project because of some injustice by saying it is ineffective is not honest.

Some attack the blimp because they think HQ should get the money. The money is not yours and it is not mine it belongs to the people who give it. If you can convince them of a better use than do so but bashing the blimp is counterproductive.

The productive course is to promote an alternative. But then that would not satisfy the emotional grievance against Trevor at all. So then the blimp is bashed to get at Trevor. Now I understand some of the anti-blimp sentiment, that part which bases their negative opinion of the blimp on nothing at all but yet persists with considerable dedication.

"if I can't have it nobody can"

Personally, I could give a rat's ass if Trevor, Captain James T. Kirk, or whoever, came up with the blimp idea. The concern is that scarce financial resources are being diverted to fund a meaningless project like the blimp from more meaningful projects like a coordinated GOTV effort on the ground.

Exarel
01-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Personally, I could give a rat's ass if Trevor, Captain James T. Kirk, or whoever, came up with the blimp idea. The concern is that scarce financial resources are being diverted to fund a meaningless project like the blimp from more meaningful projects like a coordinated GOTV effort on the ground.

If those efforts are due to scarce resources, which does seem to be the case, i can't see much argument against what you said. Getting votes > being popular with a cool blimp.

Thomas Paine
01-20-2008, 08:45 PM
We are supposed to be supporting eachother and I think promoting initiatives is much more powerful than shooting others down. Ron Paul tends to promote his ideas, not smear his opponents. I like to play nice.

No, we are not supposed to be supporting each other. We are supposed to be supporting one purpose and that purpose is getting Ron Paul elected to the White House. We are not some church group that meets to hold hands and sing kumbayah in the church basement. We are fighting to get the only candidate elected to the White House who will save this country and future generations from impending social and fiscal disaster.

Furthermore, Ron Paul not only promotes his ideas but he also identifies lousy ideas espoused by his opponents. Accordingly, I think the blimp is a lousy idea at this time for reasons I have stated in prior posts and support funding the campaign's GOTV efforts for election day.

Mckarnin
01-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Come duke it out with me. I'm on live until at least 10:30pm.

Mckarnin
01-21-2008, 12:17 AM
No, we are not supposed to be supporting each other. We are supposed to be supporting one purpose and that purpose is getting Ron Paul elected to the White House. We are not some church group that meets to hold hands and sing kumbayah in the church basement. We are fighting to get the only candidate elected to the White House who will save this country and future generations from impending social and fiscal disaster.

Furthermore, Ron Paul not only promotes his ideas but he also identifies lousy ideas espoused by his opponents. Accordingly, I think the blimp is a lousy idea at this time for reasons I have stated in prior posts and support funding the campaign's GOTV efforts for election day.

I phrased that wrong. I don't think we should waste a lot of time working against each other. Let's all promote our own projects and leave each other alone if we disagree. There have certainly been some projects promoted on here that I did not agree with and I didn't waste time posting in their threads.

Thomas Paine
01-22-2008, 01:48 PM
I phrased that wrong. I don't think we should waste a lot of time working against each other. Let's all promote our own projects and leave each other alone if we disagree. There have certainly been some projects promoted on here that I did not agree with and I didn't waste time posting in their threads.

A noble sentiment.

Mckarnin
01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
A noble sentiment.

:) sarcasm?

newyearsrevolution08
01-29-2008, 10:52 PM
I still dont understand why the hell the entire blimp team was pulling 2 GRAND a month EACH as well as why that 600k put into the blimp MINUS the SALARIES everyone received did not give any sort of boost at all in ANY state it flew in.

Edu
01-30-2008, 06:19 AM
People in those States are ignorant and BLIND! Mostly ignorant because they may have seen the blimp but decided that it's too hard to Google Ron Paul and learn something.

Mckarnin
01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
People in those States are ignorant and BLIND! Mostly ignorant because they may have seen the blimp but decided that it's too hard to Google Ron Paul and learn something.

LOL...can't type 7 letters...fingers cramping