PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul In Second Place In Iowa? | KXNet.com North Dakota News

Kuldebar
07-28-2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.kxmc.com/News/Nation/147777.asp

Excerpt:

That’s what Patrick Ruffini is saying. Hugh Hewitt, on the other hand, is skeptical:

Patrick’s worries below about Ron Paul’s supporters picking up the “strategic” votes of the disappearing McCain effort etc overthinks the situation in Iowa, and the tide of the early contests generally. Winning is winning, and if Romney wins in either Iowa or New Hampshire, he’s the conservative to beat in Florida. Beat him in both and he’s almost certainly done. But a silver medal for Ron Paul in Iowa is about as significant as the innards of a pigeon.

LibertyEagle
07-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, Ruffini has been saying that for a week or two. I'm afraid they're attempting to set us up for a fall. Hewitt is a major neocon and is the editor of TownHall. www.townhall.com

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-28-2007, 02:55 PM
We somehow have to lower expectations. If that's not possible, we have to bring up the performance significantly. Regardless of what Hurl Hewitt thinks, 2nd place would be pretty good for RP, provided it was a decently close 2nd. (Romney with 15,000 votes and RP with 1,000 would not be good regardless of placement.)

Are you all mailing Iowans? Calling Iowans? Handing out DVDs? It's hard to stay on top of some of these things. But I'm going to get out the envelopes and mail my twenty Iowans now.

kylejack
07-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Whether they're trying to set us up or not, finishing any lower than third would be a pretty critical blow. Second would be fantastic.

SeanEdwards
07-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Does this remind anyone else of the $5 million dollar predictions for Q2?

I think people are attaching way too much importance to the Iowa straw poll. It's not really a gauge of candidate popularity. It's a Republican party fundraiser. $35 to vote for a guy in a meaningless vote? That's a lot of money. I'd actually have to think pretty hard about attending an event like that if it were in my own neighborhood.

And what will the Republican party bosses who get all the proceeds from the Straw Poll do with the money? Anyone think they will spend it too support Ron Paul? I don't think so. I think they'd be more likely to use the money to create an anti-Paul smear campaign.

freelance
07-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Here we go. This is exactly what I said in the SC straw post thread. This overestimating must be the plan du jour to discredit RP. This will backfire just like everything else. They will do this one time too many before they figure out that they've planted the thought in peoples mind, "Ron Paul = WINNER!"

beermotor
07-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Agreed - it really doesn't matter what they do. The more they try to sabotage RP, the more The Message gets out, and once people hear it, they are hooked.

Game over, Neocons/Democrats/Usurpers.

ape
07-28-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm getting sick of these phoney, sean hannity loving "conservatives". They are attacking Paul on the original blog.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Does this remind anyone else of the $5 million dollar predictions for Q2?

I think people are attaching way too much importance to the Iowa straw poll. It's not really a gauge of candidate popularity. It's a Republican party fundraiser. $35 to vote for a guy in a meaningless vote? That's a lot of money. I'd actually have to think pretty hard about attending an event like that if it were in my own neighborhood.

And what will the Republican party bosses who get all the proceeds from the Straw Poll do with the money? Anyone think they will spend it too support Ron Paul? I don't think so. I think they'd be more likely to use the money to create an anti-Paul smear campaign.

Doesn't matter whether or not WE attach importance to it; the press DOES, and we all know that the press runs the elections around here. We have no choice but to give the straw poll all we're got. The only reason Benito is getting away with skipping it is because he has about 20 X the money Ron Paul does.

CasualApathy
07-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Doesn't matter whether or not WE attach importance to it; the press DOES, and we all know that the press runs the elections around here. We have no choice but to give the straw poll all we're got.

Agreed. Anyone who says Iowa doesn't matter is either misguided, or trying to sabotage Ron Paul.

SeanEdwards
07-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Agreed. Anyone who says Iowa doesn't matter is either misguided, or trying to sabotage Ron Paul.

I think the people who set unrealistic expectations for Paul and then declare that his campaign is over if he doesn't do well at some overblown party fundraiser are the ones sabotaging the campaign.

I want Paul to do well in Iowa, and I've been calling Iowans to tell them about Paul. But I'm not freaking out about it. $35 is a lot of money to blow on a meaningless vote. We should not be discouraged if Paul doesn't turn in a miraculous upset.

This straw poll is just one little skirmish in the war for the election. Don't build it up into Paul's last stand.

Kuldebar
07-28-2007, 07:41 PM
I think the people who set unrealistic expectations for Paul and then declare that his campaign is over if he doesn't do well at some overblown party fundraiser are the ones sabotaging the campaign.

I want Paul to do well in Iowa, and I've been calling Iowans to tell them about Paul. But I'm not freaking out about it. $35 is a lot of money to blow on a meaningless vote. We should not be discouraged if Paul doesn't turn in a miraculous upset.

This straw poll is just one little skirmish in the war for the election. Don't build it up into Paul's last stand.

I like this man's opinion.

I claim it for my own.

It's mine dammit!

Kuldebar
07-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Doesn't matter whether or not WE attach importance to it; the press DOES, and we all know that the press runs the elections around here. We have no choice but to give the straw poll all we're got. The only reason Benito is getting away with skipping it is because he has about 20 X the money Ron Paul does.

The PRESS is notoriously full of SHIT.

So, why don't we start not taking their crap?

Maybe it will catch on, eh?