PDA

View Full Version : In my opinion Dr. Paul should skip Florida...

kushaze
01-19-2008, 06:30 PM
for the most part (with the exception of the January 24th debate). Maybe we should be concentrating on Maine and the February 5th states while the others battle it out in Florida. Florida is a winner take all state and it seems as if resources might be wasted there. This is just how I feel about it (I am not saying that we should do it, but it just seems like a good strategy to me). Feel free to comment.

Derek Johnson
01-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Always try, never compromise. Never give up.

Feelgood
01-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Dude, are you INSANE? Are you clueless as too how many delegates there are in Florida? Florida is one of the few states you go for, come hell or high water. California is another.

Wake up man, do you even understand whats going on????

hueylong
01-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Actually, that's not a terrible call. 5% of a big state is still no delegates. And Dr. Paul has a shot in Maine.

DahuiHeeNalu
We got the money lets spend it...it will come right back in!

goRPaul
I know we're a winner takes all state, but a good showing here is very important. He better come!

The One
01-19-2008, 06:46 PM
That half-million dollar blimp that alot of people donated to has spent 90% of its time in Florida. Skipping the state would make that project an even more colossal waste of time and money.

Ogren
01-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Dude, are you INSANE? Are you clueless as too how many delegates there are in Florida? Florida is one of the few states you go for, come hell or high water. California is another.

You cant get any delegates from Florida unless you win the majority. The reason we did so well in Nevada today was because we prioritized our resources and went after a state not many candidates are campaigning in. This seems to be the most effective strategy and we should continue it. Everyone going after Florida, and not other states which is good for us because we can go after the states there not campaigning in.

pcosmar
01-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Never give up, never surrender
Commander Peter Quincy Taggart
http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/images9/Galaxy-Quest-Poster.jpg

Starwind
01-19-2008, 06:50 PM
I agree. We should put a lot of money into California while everyone else ignores it.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
01-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Tough call.

Florida only has 57 delegates due to penalties. Nevada has 34.
Florida is an overrated media darling.

He should concentrate on Texas and California most of all. If Florida gets in the way of these two states, forget about it.

Better to concentrate on friendly Western states with a chance for a solid delegate count.

Kotin
01-19-2008, 06:52 PM
we should focus on LA, AL, WV, CA, and the small feb 5th states like Montana....

Ron Paul doesnt have the media, why does he need to go by their blatently followed schedule.

Starwind
01-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Also, Ron could definitely do well in NY. His message would be pretty well recieved here and nobody at all has campaigned here. People seem to only know who Giuliani is and dislike him a lot.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
01-19-2008, 06:55 PM
The trick I think is to be the first seed in the minds of voters in states that have been ignored thus far, like CA, TX, NY, etc... worked in Nevada and we'll get similar results in states that are less Mormon friendly.

Blitz these big states now and we're in business

Alabama Supporter
01-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Winning Florida is probably out of the question. I'm sure the campaign is aware of this.

Starwind
01-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Yes, we should focus on Texas and California especially right now.

dshields
01-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Don't rule us Florida grass-rooters out yet!!!

kushaze
01-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I am glad some of you agree with me that Florida seems like a bad deal in terms of getting the most for our money. I liked the sneaky Nevada strategy.

hueylong
01-19-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm glad there is a dialogue going on about this. The R3VOLUTION is starting to think STRATEGICALLY.

amonasro
01-19-2008, 07:01 PM
You cant get any delegates from Florida unless you win the majority. The reason we did so well in Nevada today was because we prioritized our resources and went after a state not many candidates are campaigning in. This seems to be the most effective strategy and we should continue it. Everyone going after Florida, and not other states which is good for us because we can go after the states there not campaigning in.

Now you're thinking like Ron Paul :)

Melissa
01-19-2008, 07:02 PM
ok even if Dr. Paul does go to Florida why cant we do what you guys are suggesting and help the states other then Florida out. So which state is next

kushaze
01-19-2008, 07:05 PM
If Ron Paul is the only candidate in some of these states he will be the only one that the local media will be reporting on (which is what happened in Nevada, until Romney showed up).

Energy
01-19-2008, 07:10 PM
We can't let the media GIVE FL to Giuliani.

RevolutionSD
01-19-2008, 07:11 PM
I want to see TV ads galore going into FL, ME, and CA.

Maine could be a big surprise to a lot of us, his momentum keeps building in CA and FL is an important state that we should not throw the towel in on at this point.

kushaze
01-19-2008, 07:17 PM
We can't let the media GIVE FL to Giuliani.

At this point anyone but Ron Paul would be bad for us in Florida. Mitt Romney is dangerous because he has a lot of personal money. McCain is dangerous because people fall for his straight talk rhetoric and this is his second go around. Huckabee is getting less dangerous by the minute with his value voter pandering...and now I am starting to think he is running for VP. Giuliani is short on funds but has the name recognition to stay in it.

Still I honestly think that money would be better spent in other states, unless there is a billionaire or two waiting to emerge.

dkim68
01-19-2008, 07:24 PM
No man, Florida is big delegate state. He should always go for the win in a state with a large number of delegates.

jufreese
01-19-2008, 07:26 PM
RP will be in Louisiana next though...i say good move....go to the states no one is in right now.....it worked for Nevada

newbitech
01-19-2008, 07:29 PM
as far as I am concerned, the campaign never had a plan to win states like FL and MI. States with 0 democrat presence. I think its too bad because there was plenty to be taken advantage of in FL for the campaign. FL is going to be a totally grassroots turnout vote. The campaign has ran 1 ONE ad down here from what I can tell.

Ah well, I expect the FL results to be very disappointing. Too bad. So sad. As far as I can see, the only thing most American's pay attention to is the media. Until the old media is thrown into the harbor, we can forget about winning over people with the truth.

Its going to take a revolution or a serious calamity to wake this country up. Right now, the revolution is still a baby, but I don't think the country can wait long enough to see this thing mature. Its going to take something big to happen and unfortunately, the Ron Paul campaign ain't it. Especially here in FL.

MJfromCT
01-19-2008, 07:39 PM
I think RP should be focusing on caucus states that are coming in the next few weeks as first priority. Then focus on states which give a proportianate number of delegates based on what place you finish or percentage you win. I think this is his plan all along and how his money and outstanding grassroots can maximum their returns.

Jobarra
01-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Or go to all the non-winner-take-all states. Proportional delegates still add up, especially if precincts are concentrated on to take all the delegates from them. This also weakens the other candidates because they don't take all the delegates outright.

Edit: Doh, MJ beat me to it :D

pennycat
01-19-2008, 07:51 PM
I fight for Ron Paul's race in Florida not because it is strategically viable, but because this is a rEVOLution. Every single precinct in this country is important. You guys in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina have had your battles. Now it's Florida's turn. No more of talk of defeat. We eagerly await our time of testing.

jereome
01-19-2008, 08:05 PM
No he shouldnt skip Florida, no way.

What he needs to do is goto the elderly population and scare the hell out of them.

Showing them that the economy is gasping its final breaths and that we need to good doctor to fix it.

Also stress the fact that inflation hits those with a fixed income hardest of all.

mokkan88
01-19-2008, 08:09 PM
He should spend maybe two or three days campaigning the hell out of Florida. Then I'd suggest moving on to other states while his grassroots support campaigns for him. He can go to the states that haven't got much attention and make a good impression.

cyrax
01-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Invest in the west. Cali, Col, Mont, Wash, etc.

Alabama Supporter
01-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Invest in the west. Cali, Col, Mont, Wash, etc.

You got that right. I'm afraid the South is a lost cause. Too many Bush lovers down here.

bolidew
01-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Grassroot FTW!

Dary
01-19-2008, 08:41 PM
In my opinion Dr. Paul should skip Florida...

WHAT?!:eek:

raheelp
01-19-2008, 08:51 PM
To all the people the saying that we should campaign in FL because of the delegates:

WINNER TAKES ALL DELEGATES IN FLORIDA. THERE IS NO WAY WE ARE GOING TO GET 1ST.

bolidew
01-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Every vote for RP counts in the sense of SUPPORT!
Don't give up.

The Lantern
01-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I fight for Ron Paul's race in Florida not because it is strategically viable, but because this is a rEVOLution. Every single precinct in this country is important. You guys in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina have had your battles. Now it's Florida's turn. No more of talk of defeat. We eagerly await our time of testing.

I agree with Nick. Dr. Paul can better spend his time and money in California and some of the Western and mountain states. But our biggest resource in Florida is grassroots. Let's show everyone how strong Florida grassroots are. I challenge every Florida volunteer to make sure that 10 people vote for Ron Paul. That is one person per day. You have family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, church members, etc. Florida has early voting. If everyone just brings in 1 person per day we can win Florida. Who is up to the grassroots challenge?

GayRPFan
01-19-2008, 10:51 PM
To all the people the saying that we should campaign in FL because of the delegates:

WINNER TAKES ALL DELEGATES IN FLORIDA. THERE IS NO WAY WE ARE GOING TO GET 1ST.
+1
I agree _NO WAY_ is it going to happen, PERIOD! My goodness, get a healthy dose of reality folks and not get your expectations so high. Then, you won't find yourself coming back here on these boards crying like babies yammering and whining about the failure of the RP campaign.

Trust me, I've been there. FL is a very, very tuf nut to crack, beating Guillani is the only thing I want to see RP succeed at down there. (And I don't mean beating Guillani with most votes, I mean preventing Guillani from winning 1st, 2nd spot, if we are really lucky we might even help knock him out of 3rd! This thinking will help RP win in the long run.)

Look, Guillani is betting everything to win FL and he thinks he'll soar back with a win, place or show and he's back in the game again. The MSM will love it and crown him the come-back kid II. With RP, Thompson, & Huckabee, it's possible Guillani could lose Fl and his plans for Super Tuesday is waylaid and left in complete ruins.

Im glad RP spending $$ Florida, sometimes winning delegates isn't the only game in town, it's also strategically important to play your cards in such away to best defeat your competitors and knock them out of contention by other means. Its a chess game and RP can take advantage and with our bucks he could win the nomination OR at least, catch the VP spot. (McCain as Pres. nominee?) Ugh...

Sounds crazy doesn't it? Remember folks, McCain's skin cancer is in remission. The stresses of the presidency is not going to be conducive to keeping this cancer at bay, and chances are he may eventually succumb to the disease.

So, winning the nomination is our goal but don't forget Ron Paul could become the defacto VP choice too, that's a potential secondary goal. That is, if RP chooses to take it or risk going 3rd party.
But, I certainly agree with others here on this board, RP's best strategy is to spend the rest of his (our) money on the those states that have been skipped by the other candidates. It's an EXCELLENT stealthy way to get delegates under the radar and bust this convention wide open leaving the possibility for both scenarios above to be played out. My hopes he can win the nomination and avoid making a pack with the devil.
Ron

jsteilKS
01-19-2008, 11:55 PM
I think Ron should concentrate on these midwest states early and then branch out to the northeast closer to NY, NJ, and Connecticut.

Missouri (primary) Total size of delegates 58 - Visit
Kansas (caucus) Total size of delegates 40 - Visit
Illinois (primary) Total size of delegates 70 - Visit
Minnasota (Caucus) Total size of delegates 41 - Visit

North Dakota (caucus) Total size of delegates 26 - (actively run radio & TV ads, No visit)
Idaho (caucus) Total size of delegates 23 - (actively run radio & TV ads, No visit)
Alaska (caucus) Total size of delegates 29 - (actively run radio & TV ads, No visit)

Arizona - Barry Goldwater Jr
New Mexico - Barry Goldwater Jr/Ron paul

Badger Paul
01-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Unless his poll numbers dramatically improve in a five-person field (after Hunter and Thompson exit) I wouldn't spend more than two to three days there and let the blimp do the talking. Maine should be our next focus and the caucus states on Super Tuesday.

daviddee
01-20-2008, 12:44 AM

Rhys
01-20-2008, 01:02 AM
The campaign actualy has a sneaky little strategy. It's kind of a poor man's 'Rudy's Florida'.

daviddee
01-20-2008, 01:04 AM

Cyclone
01-20-2008, 01:06 AM
We could actually win the state people:

http://www.gambling911.com/WTO-Online-Gambling-011508.html

You need to know what is happening there and why. They are losing their coastline due to the WTO's response to the UIGEA.

parke
01-20-2008, 01:07 AM

The hannity ban is hysterical!

Trigonx
01-20-2008, 01:17 AM
I agree with not campaigning in FL, the grassroots will do their job to get votes there. We need Paul in the over looked states with delegates for the picking

Opulen
01-20-2008, 01:35 AM
I agree with not campaigning in FL, the grassroots will do their job to get votes there. We need Paul in the over looked states with delegates for the picking

I feel ya!! :)

smartpeople4ronpaul
01-20-2008, 01:37 AM
for the most part (with the exception of the January 24th debate). Maybe we should be concentrating on Maine and the February 5th states while the others battle it out in Florida. Florida is a winner take all state and it seems as if resources might be wasted there. This is just how I feel about it (I am not saying that we should do it, but it just seems like a good strategy to me). Feel free to comment.

So you're saying we should skip Florida which has a ton of delegates and hit Maine which has almost none?

The Good Doctor
01-20-2008, 01:39 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but are not the Florida Meetup Groups some of the most active in the country?

Actually, that's not a terrible call. 5% of a big state is still no delegates. And Dr. Paul has a shot in Maine.