PDA

View Full Version : Caucus Races seem to be our strength...

dshields
01-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Honestly, I think the ability for people to be able to give speeches before the votes are given helps tremendously! Just goes to show how fickle voters can be!

Good work NV grassroots! http://www.assaultweb.net/ubb/graemlins/009.gif

Dave

Xenophage
01-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Its not just that... its the fact that most people don't care enough to caucus. Caucuses SUCK. Can you say: The most boring shit on earth? I can. THE MOST BORING SHIT ON EARTH. That's a caucus.

dshields
01-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I actually would find a caucus more exciting then a anonymous poll based primary. It gives people a better feel for what is going on. Look at the posts from several Nevada precincts given us direct count results before they are tallied!

On the surface at least, it seems likely to have fraud since all in the precinct go home knowing the vote.

Just some thoughts..

Dave

Victrix
01-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Caucuses are very undemocratic processes that severely limit voter participation.

Even in Iowa where we had record turnouts for our caucus this year the total amount of people who voted was only 10% of the population. Now compare that to the average 35-40% that usually vote in primary and national elections.

morerocklesstalk
01-19-2008, 03:50 PM
It seems that in a caucus only the truly motivated will go out and vote. This plays well for most Ron Paul supporters since we are mostly very motivated. Unlike the primaries, you can't drag reluctant/lazy friends in and this probably plays into Dr. Paul's favor as most people vote as if they were watching American Idol.

NYgs23
01-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Caucuses are very undemocratic processes that severely limit voter participation.

Caucuses may be an "undemocratic" process but they are a republican (small-r) process, and I actually prefer them to the primary type votes. Sure they limit voter participation--they limit it to people who actually know a candidate's name before they step into the voting booth and look at the ballot. They limit to voters who give half a damn. Screw the zombies who lurch into primaries to pull the lever for the guy who's name looks pretty.

Let's get away from the notion that good governance, or even accurate representation of "the will of the people", comes simply from majority vote elections. It comes from the rule of law, checks and balance, limitation of powers, etc. I like the fact that in a caucus people can actually have a debate about the candidates.

Goldwater Conservative
01-19-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm starting to prefer caucuses...

dshields
01-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I like the fact more motivated voters are showing up to vote and not just the sheep be herded through the stalls.

torchbearer
01-19-2008, 04:27 PM
This is how we are going to win Louisiana on Tuesday.
People who live here don't even know its a caucus state. Keeps turn out really low.
Oh did I mention, before the first vote is even counted we've already won the majority of alternate delegates and Ron is the only candidate in Louisiana to have a full slate in every district which gives us the advantage?

Victrix
01-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Caucuses may be an "undemocratic" process but they are a republican (small-r) process, and I actually prefer them to the primary type votes. Sure they limit voter participation--they limit it to people who actually know a candidate's name before they step into the voting booth and look at the ballot. They limit to voters who give half a damn. Screw the zombies who lurch into primaries to pull the lever for the guy who's name looks pretty.

Let's get away from the notion that good governance, or even accurate representation of "the will of the people", comes simply from majority vote elections. It comes from the rule of law, checks and balance, limitation of powers, etc. I like the fact that in a caucus people can actually have a debate about the candidates.

I agree with some of what you say but while caucuses don't favor the 'clueless' masses that might come out to vote in a primary they do favor large organized 'clueless' groups that might rally around a candidate. This includes evangelicals, unions, establishment party members, and other one issue groups.

Case in point: Huckabee in Iowa.

Huckabee had hardly any organization in this state. He couldn't afford it because his campaign at the time was funded upon a shoestring budget. But in the end he didnt need to build an organization, he simply tapped into the preexisting and highly organized network of evangelical Christians.

And you can not tell me that most of these people where truly educated about the issues. They voted for Huck because he present himself as a good ole' boy Christian leader most in line with their religious world view. And that was that.

And now its the same thing for Romney in Nevada with the Mormons.

torchbearer
01-19-2008, 04:39 PM
//

torchbearer
01-19-2008, 05:30 PM
bump