PDA

View Full Version : Just finished my first Canvasing

mcgraw_wv
01-19-2008, 02:18 PM
I met a guy at the HQ, and we decided to team up and go canvasing... picked up some material, and headed out... first we hit up a neibghbor hood, barely any success... people simply do not want to be bothered at home...

So I decided we should hit up a HUGE shopping area... HUGE success, lots of people wanted to read whiel waiting for tables, drinking their coffee, many, may not be republicans, but he gets his name in the conversation.. lots were very pumped to see us out... lot's of Ron Paul supporters out there, even one old couple, yelled out "Yes we want some Ron Paul stuff, hes the only one that makes sense" he then went on to say how stupid some people are for not listening to him... that was awesome.

We gave DVDs, letters, and slim-jims, and we gave out alot.
People are in a completely different mode when out in a shopping environment, and much more accepting...

Plus, where there are lot's of people waiting for reservations, or sitting outside drinking coffee, maters well have something to read...

Overall it was a lot of fun, and I plan on going again next weekend!

To anyone thats nervous, scared, shy... it a lot of fun to get out and talk to people about Ron Paul. There are lot's of people that want to know more... I only got one negative response, which one guy said "not a chance" other than that a lot of people didnt want one, but our success rate was easily 1000% better than door to door.

mavtek
01-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Very cool, keep up the good work!

billjarrett
01-19-2008, 02:37 PM
What kind of shopping environment? I think we'd be kicked out of the malls around here in less than 5 minutes if we tried that.

mavtek
01-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh can you put your city and state in your profile under location? This helps tremendously.

Eric21ND
01-19-2008, 02:47 PM
boots on the ground win wars & elections.

declared wars anyway :)

Spirit of '76
01-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Good stuff. Should help us out with the May primary, which decides 9 of our 30 delegates.

We need specific help targeting delegates and county GOP chairman. If you want to lend a hand with that, please contact me.

Thanks for your hard work! :)

newmedia4ron
01-19-2008, 03:13 PM
thank you bump
I am going to canvass door to door soon. I will collect signatures. Kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm using this form (http://files.meetup.com/549818/Voter%20Evaluation.pdf).

freedom-maniac
01-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Sehr Gut! You should be really proud of yourself!

mcgraw_wv
01-19-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm in Jacksonville Florida...

The shopping area was an outdoor super mall...The key is we weren't shouting and making a scene, the only ron paul gear we had on was buttons, we were professionlay dressed, and we just had enough stuff to carry ourselves...

So we just walked around and talked ot peopel and passed out some info.

Don't make a scene, and no one will have a problem with any effort... dress nicely shave, and be approachable.

WilliamC
01-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Thanks!

literatim
01-19-2008, 08:16 PM
I hope you are a precinct leader.

http://voters.ronpaul2008.com

mcgraw_wv
01-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I hope you are a precinct leader.

http://voters.ronpaul2008.com

Have been for a month now... ;)

Spirit of '76
01-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm in Jacksonville Florida...

Ah... I assumed from your username you were in WV. :o

Disregard the county chairman and delegate stuff. Keep up the good work. :)

mcgraw_wv
01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Ah... I assumed from your username you were in WV. :o

Disregard the county chairman and delegate stuff. Keep up the good work. :)

I'm from there... used to live in Weirton, and Morgantown, went to WVU, and most my family comes form around Beckly... there is actually a town my grandfathers, grandfather founded... McGraws WV.

but i hear good thigns in WV, keep it up!!!

steph3n
01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
hate to tell you gut the shopping mall environment is WORTHLESS you MUST do the door to door!

It is registered Republicans hitting the Dems and indies does NOTHING but waste time and resources.

mcgraw_wv
01-19-2008, 08:31 PM
I think your wrong...
We did 2 hours of door to door, and only met one person who was even remotely interested in taking more than 5 seconds to listen to us...

Even if a Democrat got our hand outs, they may read them and talk about them... Spreading the message in a public sphere, enhances the general idea, the conversation level of Ron Paul increases, and more people may research him. It was 10 times more effective to get his name out, and plus it reaffirms his elect ability to see people out talking about him...

And seeing the the HQ here in Jacksonville thought it was a great idea, I think it was as well... The key from HQ was to simply get out face to face and talk about him, and get the informaiton out there.

steph3n
01-19-2008, 08:39 PM
I think your wrong...
We did 2 hours of door to door, and only met one person who was even remotely interested in taking more than 5 seconds to listen to us...

Even if a Democrat got our hand outs, they may read them and talk about them... Spreading the message in a public sphere, enhances the general idea, the conversation level of Ron Paul increases, and more people may research him. It was 10 times more effective to get his name out, and plus it reaffirms his elect ability to see people out talking about him...

And seeing the the HQ here in Jacksonville thought it was a great idea, I think it was as well... The key from HQ was to simply get out face to face and talk about him, and get the informaiton out there.

not sure who's running HQ but that is seriously not an effective use of time in Fl they have it so locked down that no one can sign up to vote now, or change. You must change the minds of the GOP voters, that is ALL that is productive.

i know this first hand from NH we wasted a lot of time on sign waves and shopping malls, where the highest percentages came was where we knocked on the doors and talked to the registered voters!

Spirit of '76
01-19-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm from there... used to live in Weirton, and Morgantown, went to WVU, and most my family comes form around Beckly... there is actually a town my grandfathers, grandfather founded... McGraws WV.

but i hear good thigns in WV, keep it up!!!

Mountaineers are always Free!

dshields
01-19-2008, 08:57 PM
not sure who's running HQ but that is seriously not an effective use of time in Fl they have it so locked down that no one can sign up to vote now, or change. You must change the minds of the GOP voters, that is ALL that is productive.

i know this first hand from NH we wasted a lot of time on sign waves and shopping malls, where the highest percentages came was where we knocked on the doors and talked to the registered voters!

Being a Jacksonville local as well, I would agree with mcgraw's opinion. There is a significant mentality difference between the south and north when it comes to people going door to door.

When people are out of their homes they are MUCH more approachable. This by any stretch of the imagination does not mean we will in ANY way abandon door to door. I just think you are incorrect to assume talking to people out of their homes is useless.

Dave

steph3n
01-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Being a Jacksonville local as well, I would agree with mcgraw's opinion. There is a significant mentality difference between the south and north when it comes to people going door to door.

When people are out of their homes they are MUCH more approachable. This by any stretch of the imagination does not mean we will in ANY way abandon door to door. I just think you are incorrect to assume talking to people out of their homes is useless.

Dave

I am from the south, I know that people like to talk if they are NOT being preached at all the time. Yes FL is different than Texas, I know firsthand I live in both(I vote in TX) The problem with shopping mall canvassing is that you don't have a CLUE who you are speaking to and if you are simply wasting your time.

FL moving their primary up brought this door to door need on themselves, the people will get used to it in time.

dshields
01-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I am from the south, I know that people like to talk if they are NOT being preached at all the time. Yes FL is different than Texas, I know firsthand I live in both(I vote in TX) The problem with shopping mall canvassing is that you don't have a CLUE who you are speaking to and if you are simply wasting your time.

FL moving their primary up brought this door to door need on themselves, the people will get used to it in time.

I understand you point of view...

Let talk some basic numbers.... If you go door to door for 2 hours and talk to 20 willing republicans versus going to a shopping mall or some place with a higher concentration of people for two hours and talk to 100 people, half of which are republicans, you have talked to 30 more potential voters in that scenario.

If the conversation is no different in public versus at someone's door, how is door to door any different assuming you are talking to as many if not more eligible voters in the same period of time?

Dave

krott5333
01-19-2008, 09:43 PM
thank you for your hard work