PDA

View Full Version : H.R. 1955 a letter from my Congresman

fireinme
01-19-2008, 11:04 AM
January 18, 2008

Dear ------,

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding H.R. 1955, the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007. Hearing from the people of northeast and central Pennsylvania is an integral part of my job in Congress. I appreciate you taking the time to contact my office.

I was proud to support the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007, which passed the U.S. House of Representatives with overwhelming support, 404 to 6. This bipartisan legislation creates a National Commission to examine the causes of violent radicalization and homegrown terrorism and propose recommendations and legislative strategies for mitigating these threats. It also establishes a Center for Excellence for the Prevention of Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism that will study the social, criminal, political, psychological and economic roots of homegrown terrorism to provide further recommendations for actions to address these dangers. This legislation is awaiting action in the U.S. Senate.

This legislation does not interfere in any way with an individual's right to freedom of speech. Instead, this legislation allows us to understand how to prevent radical views from transitioning into violent acts. It will help us to create an environment that discourages the disillusionment and alienation that can lead to violence, which will keep us safe at home. I understand your concerns about the broad scope of the legislation, which is why I have attached information prepared by the House Homeland Security Committee that address many of the myths that surround the Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act.

Thank you again for contacting me. As always, please feel free to share your concerns with my office.

Myths vs. Facts

Myth: H.R. 1955 is a "thought crime" bill that attempts to legislate constitutionally-protected speech.

Fact: H.R. 1955 does NOT legislate thought or protected political expression and free speech. There are no provisions seeking to change the criminal code or set up a "Big Brother" regime to put Americans under surveillance.

Myth: H.R. 1955 criminalizes constitutionally-protected behavior such as political association.

Fact: H.R. 1955 does NOT criminalize behavior. The bill does not create any new crimes, criminal penalties, nor does it encourage the Commission to do so. On the contrary, H.R. 1955 requires the Department of Homeland Security, through its Privacy Office and Office of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, to create an auditing mechanism to ensure that any policy stemming from the actions of the Commission will not violate anyone's rights. The results of this audit will be included in the Commission's annual report to Congress.

Myth: H.R. 1955 discriminates against particular races, ethnicities and religions.

Fact: H.R. 1955 does NOT alienate any particular race, ethnicity or religious group. To the contrary, the bill includes a provision that states that "individuals prone to violent radicalization, homegrown terrorism, and ideologically based violence span all races, ethnicities, and religious beliefs, and individuals should not be targeted based solely on race, ethnicity, or religion."

Myth: H.R. 1955 will lead to Internet censorship.

Fact: H.R. 1955 neither targets the Internet nor seeks to censor its usage. The Internet is a robust communications tool that can be used to educate, inspire, challenge, entertain, and stimulate intellectual curiosity and promote awareness and understanding across cultures and national borders. The protection of the Internet from government interference is in our national interest.

Myth: H.R. 1955 is unnecessary because the threat of violent radicalization and homegrown terrorism does not exist in the United States.

Fact: While it is true that European countries have experienced violent radicalization and homegrown terrorism at a greater proportion than the United States, we are not immune. The arrests of U.S. citizens who were plotting attacks against the Fort Dix military base in New Jersey and JFK airport in New York earlier this year remind us that the threat in this country is real. And we must never forget that the most deadly act of terrorism perpetrated on American soil prior to September 11, 2001 was committed by American citizen Timothy McVeigh, who was responsible for the death of over 180 people, including small children, in one day. These examples indicate that we need to be ahead of the curve. H.R. 1955 instructs our Government to reach out to other Nations to learn about how they have addressed violent radicalization and homegrown terrorism in their countries. And once again, it protects the liberties of Americans by requiring our Government to evaluate what other countries have done within our own Constitutional framework and system of safeguards and protections.

Sincerely,

Christopher P. Carney
Member of Congress

ItsTime
01-19-2008, 11:08 AM
we are all in trouble... big big trouble....

ladyliberty
01-19-2008, 11:09 AM
when is his seat up for re-election??????? ...we need to get someone there who will replace that BOZO!

tommyzDad
01-19-2008, 11:10 AM
So the entire bill is merely a mandate to create a studies group? To study the why's and where-for's of terrorism. Aren't their branches of the CIA and FBI that do exclusively this?

ShowMeLiberty
01-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Mtyhs vs Facts.... like the Patriot Act doesn't violate the Constitution, right? :rolleyes:

We need to be keeping track of what our local "representatives" are doing in Congress now so that we can work for or against them when they come up for re-election.

One of Missouri's senators endoresed the Ghoul. I will definitely be working against his re-election. IIRC, all of Missouri's House of Rep. members voted FOR HR 1955, so they need to go too.

tommyzDad
01-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I hope your wrote this 'tard back, telling him he's out of job.....

Ex Post Facto
01-20-2008, 08:20 PM
That is absolutely the most retarded logic I've seen, outside of my boss advising me it was okay to give 17 year olds alcohol. But again I guess you can say anything to someone who can't do nothing about disagreeing with their reason.

realitywiz
01-20-2008, 10:16 PM
So the entire bill is merely a mandate to create a studies group? To study the why's and where-for's of terrorism. Aren't their branches of the CIA and FBI that do exclusively this?

Exactly.

This Carney is a LIAR!!! :mad:

Mini-Me
01-20-2008, 11:15 PM
I love it when our leaders hand our fascism to us with a smile and flowery words.

therealjjj77
01-20-2008, 11:18 PM
"Amendment X. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

How does he reconcile the fact that he took an oath to the Constitution, and voted for a bill which is not strictly authorized by the Constitution?

In fact, any vote for ANYTHING not authorized by the Constitution is unconstitutional and therefore perjury (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/perjury).

per·ju·ry (pûrj-r)
n. pl. per·ju·ries
1. Law The deliberate, willful giving of false, misleading, or incomplete testimony under oath.
2. The breach of an oath or promise.

Mini-Me
01-20-2008, 11:27 PM
"Amendment X. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

How does he reconcile the fact that he took an oath to the Constitution, and voted for a bill which is not strictly authorized by the Constitution?

In fact, any vote for ANYTHING not authorized by the Constitution is unconstitutional and therefore perjury (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/perjury).

per·ju·ry (pûrj-r)
n. pl. per·ju·ries
1. Law The deliberate, willful giving of false, misleading, or incomplete testimony under oath.
2. The breach of an oath or promise.

Ah, finally - perjury, that's the one! Someone finally brought up a punishable crime that violators of the Constitution can be charged with. Props, therealjjj77. :)

therealjjj77
01-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Ah, finally - perjury, that's the one! Someone finally brought up a punishable crime that violators of the Constitution can be charged with. Props, therealjjj77. :)

First impeachment. Then charges.

Mini-Me
01-20-2008, 11:48 PM
How in the hell can you impeach the President, Vice President, and just about each and every member of Congress? ;)

fireinme
01-21-2008, 11:13 AM
All but 4 Congressmen voted for this bill so you know who to vote for? Anyone but the Congressman unless he happens to be one of those 4. Anyone would be better than these men.

PatriotOne
01-21-2008, 11:25 AM
They need a study group to figure out why U.S. citizens are becoming radical? I can tell them why we have come to despise our Government for free. It's not rocket science.

tcindie
01-21-2008, 06:04 PM
That is so a standard form letter response. It reads almost word for word like every letter I've ever received from my congressperson and senator... only the topic referred to changes, the rest remains the same.

Likely the congressman never actually read your letter.

tcindie
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
All but 4 Congressmen voted for this bill so you know who to vote for? Anyone but the Congressman unless he happens to be one of those 4. Anyone would be better than these men.

This isn't quite accurate.. there were also a handful that didn't vote at all for various reasons -- like being busy with a presidential campaign. ;)

But, your underlying message is correct. The vast majority of congresspeople (and senators) need to be replaced.

Kingfisher
01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
We need to be constantly letting our congressmen know that if they dont vote according to the constitution we will vote them out. Phone, Email, Snail mail

driller80545
01-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Yet another redundant bill establishing the idea of really doing what they're supposedly already doing.
Similar to deporting only "illegal" aliens that commit a crime? Emphasis on illegal

tcindie
01-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Yet another redundant bill establishing the idea of really doing what they're supposedly already doing.
Similar to deporting only "illegal" aliens that commit a crime? Emphasis on illegal

Too bad the explanation was a load of bull, and the "myths" are not at all mythical.

Agent CSL
01-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Ah, short of lobotomizing the entire earth I find it funny they need to "study" these groups. Supposedly something that's already happening. Look at the past. Revolts rise up because of oppressive rulers. Hahaha.

We're screwed.

classicalscholar
01-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Here's the one I got from Sherrod Brown in Ohio, who is paying these people????

Dear Mr. --------------:

Thank you for expressing your concerns about H.R.1955 and S.1959, the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act.

H.R.1955 and S.1959 amend the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to add provisions concerning the prevention of terrorism by those born, raised, or based and operating primarily in the United States.

The bill would direct the Department of Homeland Security to establish a grant program to help prevent homegrown terrorism and the use of extremist belief systems to facilitate ideologically-based violence. It would also establish a university-based Center of Excellence for the Study of Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism in the United States and conduct a survey of methodologies implemented by foreign nations to prevent radicalization and homegrown terrorism.

In addition, the bill explicitly states that the Department of Homeland Security's efforts to prevent ideologically based violence and homegrown terrorism may not violate the constitutional rights, civil rights, or civil liberties of any American citizens or lawful permanent residents.

H.R.1955 passed in the House of Representatives by a vote of 404 to 6. Should S.1959 reach the Senate floor, I will keep your views in mind. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown

TheInvestigatorOfFreedom
01-22-2008, 10:31 AM
the patriot act it hurts the 4th amendment privacy and seizure

Kruniac
01-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Nothing can hurt your constitutional rights as long as you own firearms. Thats why this type of thing doesnt bother me.

I dislike it because a lot of good folks dont -have- firearms, but still. For myself and my family, this bill is just another conversation peice. If it affects my life (and infringes on my rights), then its war without end.

fireinme
01-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Nothing can hurt your constitutional rights as long as you own firearms. Thats why this type of thing doesnt bother me.

I dislike it because a lot of good folks dont -have- firearms, but still. For myself and my family, this bill is just another conversation peice. If it affects my life (and infringes on my rights), then its war without end.

http://www.newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin392.htm
Pastors will take your guns?

Kruniac
01-23-2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin392.htm
Pastors will take your guns?

Sheep. I understand the need for "peace", but there is a difference between a peaceful person, and a sheep. I would advise that no one allow anyone on this earth to take away their firearms, at any cost.

The rationale for this is simple - if you do not own a weapon, you cannot defend yourself (within reason) against those who do.

If every American were armed, we would see very different government policies than what we have now. :)

Kade
01-23-2008, 01:05 PM

Conservatives have allowed insane judges on the bench. No longer is there "anti" government liberals dominating the bench. The Supreme Court sided with the people in the Ruby Ridge incident, that will never happen again. You have a right to bear arms, no problem... you need to rethink about what that really means. If the government has protection from the Supreme Court in your use of said arms, are you even really as free as you think you are?

You can't stop them now... people who care about liberty must think about these things from all aspects. Stop ignoring what kind of Judges people will assign to the bench. Alito and Roberts are political pawns, and are a danger to everything people talk about here...