PDA

View Full Version : "Inflation is a natural process, GOV'T should take care of You and I" - WOW

icon124
01-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Yes, you read that right. I just got done trying to debate with someone about the economy and how it impacts us. For some reason this guy assumes inflation just happens. When he explained to me why, he said - "Because of better technology, things cost more because they are better." So I used the example of milk. Asked him if that got better over the years, and he promptly decided to stop debating.

OH and he said ALL republicans are about big business, and that the GOV'T should take care of us. Give us aid, blah blah blah. I can't believe I live in the same country as this guy. Okay, time to move on and try to convince someone else who hopefully doesn't have the narrowest mind ever. :cool:

rollingpig
01-18-2008, 05:50 PM
.......speechless..

it's not even worth the effort converting him, just tell him to stay home on election day.

Trigonx
01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Makes you wanna shake them as hard as you can to get them to wake up!!!

celticsman7
01-18-2008, 05:56 PM
I wish we got paid in this country based on our intelligence. Imagine how much money we'd be able to give Ron Paul!

Mystile
01-18-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm an economics n00b, but isn't inflation natural seeing as money is being created faster than it is destroyed? Of course the Fed printing money for the sake of spending is unreasonable and unnatural, but still.

rollingpig
01-18-2008, 05:57 PM
all these brainless people are canceling out our hard sought votes. damn it!!!

Phunbaba
01-18-2008, 05:58 PM
What? You havn't tried the IMilk yet? Cutting edge stuff man.

Truth Warrior
01-18-2008, 05:58 PM
It's amazing, depressing and tragic to me how many of our brother and sister Amercicans buy into that kind of BS, and vote accordingly.

SVS2K
01-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Narrow minds must be won over by showing them your own (and possibly long) thought process on how you arrived at "Ron Paul is the man", instead of first bombing them with "Ron Paul is the man" and thus putting them on the defensive.

icon124
01-18-2008, 06:06 PM
oh forgot to add....he is voting for Obama

wgadget
01-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Ugh. Bad grammar, too.

Wyurm
01-18-2008, 06:13 PM
It's amazing, depressing and tragic to me how many of our brother and sister Amercicans buy into that kind of BS, and vote accordingly.

I think most vote on name recognition. I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people here don't buy things just because they saw an ad on TV. Most of the people here probably do some sort of research to know that they are buying what they really want based on their values. However, the vast majority of the American public buys things based on flashy ads or catchy tunes, etc... Not because they know what they are buying. I love to use the example of Excederine. Go to the store and look at the types of Excederine and you will find a Tension headache as well as a Migrane headache version in addition to the ordinary Excederine extra strength. Do you know what the difference is between them? Packaging and that's all. (Sinus headache does have an additional ingredient).

However, I'll bet there are quite a few people who have extra strength for their regular headaches and migrane for their really bad ones in their medicine cabinets. If the people weren't so gullible, then consumerism wouldn't work. Yet we can clearly see that consumerism is the basis of our current economy, thus the majority must be gullible. It isn't hopeless, they just trust that they won't be lied to. They simply need to be educated, how exactly is something I'm not sure of. My greatest fear is that people won't wake up untill it's too late.

FreeTraveler
01-18-2008, 06:30 PM
What? You havn't tried the IMilk yet? Cutting edge stuff man.

Haven't seen any of that, but the new eMilk is very cool. :) I hear Al Gore created it.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
01-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Yes, you read that right. I just got done trying to debate with someone about the economy and how it impacts us. For some reason this guy assumes inflation just happens. When he explained to me why, he said - "Because of better technology, things cost more because they are better." So I used the example of milk. Asked him if that got better over the years, and he promptly decided to stop debating.

OH and he said ALL republicans are about big business, and that the GOV'T should take care of us. Give us aid, blah blah blah. I can't believe I live in the same country as this guy. Okay, time to move on and try to convince someone else who hopefully doesn't have the narrowest mind ever. :cool:

I run into this crap more often than not.

Government schools, combined with the present day media, makes for scary sheep.

AceNZ
01-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Computers get better over time, and their prices go DOWN.

I heard RP say once that even some members of Congress think that the dollar is still backed by gold.... We have a long way to go, folks.