PDA

View Full Version : Romney stealing from Ron Paul

Sematary
07-27-2007, 01:17 PM
On immigration, Romney adopted a hardline stance.

"I ... don't think it makes sense to have an immigration policy that says that if an illegal couple - a couple that comes across the border illegally - has a child here, that child becomes a U.S. citizen, that then the whole family gets to come in, if you will, through 'chain migration,'" he said.

Wow - doesn't that sound JUST like what Ron Paul has been saying right along? This guy is such a lemming he can't even form his own belief system - he has to steal it from better candidates.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070727/D8QL2FSO1.html

Kuldebar
07-27-2007, 01:19 PM
I think we will start seeing more rhetorical shifts like that, but I am confident that most people will see through the obvious maneuvering.

Sematary
07-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I think we will start seeing more rhetorical shifts like that, but I am confident that most people will see through the obvious maneuvering.

Well, just for the hell of it, I emailed the Romney campaign to let them know that I didn't appreciate the fact that he had to "borrow" someone elses stance.

Sematary
07-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Since most people don't know Ron Paul yet, it isn't going to be difficult to pull the wool over the eyes of the public. Of course, it wasn't that hard anyway.

Johnnybags
07-27-2007, 01:22 PM
There goes the Hispanic vote. Join the club Mitt, tac fast.

Kuldebar
07-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Since most people don't know Ron Paul yet, it isn't going to be difficult to pull the wool over the eyes of the public. Of course, it wasn't that hard anyway.

O I see your point. But, I don't think any candidate really has the political backbone to support such rhetoric, meaning their record, past positions and statements. It would just be empty rhetoric which I think is much harder for candidates to get away with now in the age of Youtube and multi-news sourcing via search engines.

There will come a time when the whole world is wired, we will be truly free of those who deceive in order to grab power.

Mort
07-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Actually things like this are not so terrible. We want the US to go in this direction. If that happens while we try to get Ron Paul elected, that's great.

ARealConservative
07-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Actually things like this are not so terrible. We want the US to go in this direction. If that happens while we try to get Ron Paul elected, that's great.

exactly.

6 months ago I assumed I would be supporting a dissent candidate.

Now I think we can win - but that doesn't mean it isn' a good thing to see other candidates forced to move to our position to remain electible.

freelance
07-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Wow - doesn't that sound JUST like what Ron Paul has been saying right along? This guy is such a lemming he can't even form his own belief system - he has to steal it from better candidates.

It means nothing from a CFR-approved candidate. It's a moot subject in the context of NAU. Translation: it's a lie.

Slugg
07-27-2007, 01:47 PM
It means nothing from a CFR-approved candidate. It's a moot subject in the context of NAU. Translation: it's a lie.

Yup..pandering

mtmedlin
07-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Do you think RP would come right out and call him on it. Show a little fire. Say something like "It's nice to see that for once you have flipped to a postion that I have held for years."

Original_Intent
07-27-2007, 02:34 PM
I agree, saying the words without conviction is not a win for us. Just steals votes from the deceived.

Kuldebar
07-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Do you think RP would come right out and call him on it. Show a little fire. Say something like "It's nice to see that for once you have flipped to a postion that I have held for years."

I don't think Paul would have any problem characterizing empty rhetoric when he hears it. He has done so generally already and more specifically with Ronald Reagan in the past.

He doesn't do personal attacks, but he would point out discrepancies between talk and deeds.

freelance
07-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Do you really have to ask this of a man who called a press conference to give Rudy a reading list?

OF COURSE he would call him on it. He would do it politely, but he would make his point loud and clear.

Razmear
07-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Romney has been against "Anchor Babies" since at least March of this year, of course if you look up his 2005 statements about immigration, things were a bit different back then.

eb

smtwngrl
07-27-2007, 03:03 PM

I agree! If they hear these positions from another candidate first, they are going to associate it with that candidate. And even if they later hear of Ron Paul's position, they won't know that it was "borrowed" from him.

And Romney's not the only one who is borrowing Ron Paul's platform!! I read what he said earlier today. And just now, I read what Giuliani is now saying! It's funny, I've never heard him say this before (Grrrr...).

Here's an article that shows his new approach to social issues!!!

Giuliani, the federalist candidate
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-brownstein25jul25,0,3879519.column?coll=la-opinion-rightrail

And Obama recently changed what he was saying about whether it was O.K. to leave Iraq right away or not.

The problem with these candidates changing their positions is that they are doing it for political reasons. And they could be like Bush was when he campaigned on a humble foreign policy. Just because he campaigned on that does not mean that was what we got!

jd603
07-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Hillary is also stealing lines from Ron Paul, very clearly, only difference is, Ron Paul's record supports what he says, theirs do NOT.

angrydragon
07-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Romney just flips or bends over to please any group at any time.

Texan4Life
07-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Romney just flips or bends over to please any group at any time.

yep thats flip flopper Romney for you... LOL and what about the campaign ads he ran in SPANISH?