PDA

View Full Version : Canvassing tips from NH and FL

gregl26
01-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Canvassing tips from NH and FL.
Once you convince your first person to vote for Ron Paul you will be hooked.

Kill them with kindness. I have turned many a situation around by being thoroughly polite. “Ron Paul? I don’t want to talk about him he is a wacko!” “Yes sir the media have done their best to try and make Dr. Paul appear that way. If you don’t mind me asking before I leave, what issue is most important to you?” That is THE moment you are looking for in any conversation with a voter. There have been many times when someone was about to shut the door after hearing Ron Paul’s name and I politely asked this question. People like being asked nicely how they feel about things; most people will open up and spill the beans about their concerns, worries, and hopes for the future. This is what we want. We need Ron Paul people personally engaging the voters in a memorable way. After your encounter whenever that person thinks of Ron Paul they will remember YOU standing on their doorstep. YOU are Ron Paul’s spokesman; if you are rude or handle the situation badly that reflects on Dr. Paul and can LOSE VOTES!!
Don’t let the 1st paragraph scare you though. Ron Paul supporters are some of the most diverse and interesting characters you can find but they are each and every one of them VERY INTELLIGENT. This comes though to people during your conversation so don’t be intimidated. I would be willing to bet that Rudy canvassers are not politely discussing the intricacies of America’s economic policy so don’t be discouraged. You rock, don’t forget it. :)
If someone says “I love the war and wish we would just nuke them already” you obviously will not be able to do much good there so leave them with some Lit and politely run away J
If someone is interested leave them with as much Lit as you can. An informed voter is a Ron Paul voter. They may seem in-the-bag now but when their McCain friends learn they like Dr. Paul now and begin to attack them with sound bites such as “if we don’t fight them there we will have to fight them here” and “we broke it we bought it” they may begin to wilt. The official website has a great downloadable flyer that gives details about the issues.
Details, details, details; people need to KNOW what makes Dr. Paul unlike any candidate in the last century then not only will they vote for him they may even volunteer. Therefore direct everyone you speak with, regardless of how the conversation went to the official website and youtube.
I respect all of your individual views and beliefs and would love to speak with any of you at length about them but please keep in mind that most the people we are approaching may not share your opinions. We are all fighting for Dr. Paul so let’s try and promote HIS message in the best manner possible. So please do not bring up 9-11 truth, legalizing marijuana, the CFR, etc. There are more than enough great/safe views of Dr. Paul’s to speak of; the economy, immigration, health-care, foreign policy, etc.
If someone seems like they are leaning towards Dr. Paul or are undecided I always write my phone number on the top of the Lit I gave them and say “if for any reason you start to think that you will not vote for Dr. Paul please call me and I will be happy to address any concerns you may have honestly and faithfully.” This shocks a lot of people and they realize Ron Paul must be pretty amazing to engender that type of dedication. If you are not comfortable giving them your number then give them mine. Just say “here is my friend’s number and if for any reason you start to think that you will not vote for Dr. Paul please call him and he will be happy to address any concerns you may have honestly and faithfully.” This is my # 321-663-4942, my name is Greg
Sign up as a precinct leader on the official website and get out there. Once you convince your first person to vote for Ron Paul you will be hooked. When you finish your precinct go help other people with theirs. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!