PDA

View Full Version : Charleston City Paper, "Ron Paul is not simply the best candidate. He's the only can"

qwerty
01-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Ron Paul is the only candidate who promises a break from the status quo

Ron Paul is the Johnny Cash of American politics. For decades, nobody in Nashville disputed that Cash was the genuine article, but by the early 1990s he was forgotten by a music industry more concerned with newcomers like Garth Brooks and Travis Tritt. Later Cash went on to resurrect his career on his own terms, and while remaining country to the core, he attracted a diverse audience, many of whom didn't even identify with country music.

The same could be said of Congressman Ron Paul. Since 1976, nobody in Washington D.C. denied that the Texas Republican was the genuine article, but by 2007 he was laughed off by a political industry more concerned with "serious contenders" like Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani. Paul forged ahead on his own terms, and while remaining conservative to the core, he has attracted a diverse audience, many of whom have never identified with the Republican Party.

But what does Ron Paul stand for? In a word — change. Yes, the most overused word in the 2008 presidential campaign applies to no one better than the Texas Republican, whose 10-term congressional career has been spent in virtual solitude for refusing to sell out his principles for politics.

The Republican Party has drifted so far from bedrock, conservative principles, as outlined above, that Paul is in the unique situation of being a breath of fresh air for traditional conservatives as well as independents, liberals, and scores of young people for whom "left" and "right" mean very little. Most Americans have literally never seen a candidate quite like him.

Candidates like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton or Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney are charismatic, understand the political machine, and use it to their advantage. Paul is an entirely different animal. While the other candidates are scheming and strategizing, Paul simply explains his policies and answers questions honestly, giving no thought as to how mouthing certain buzzwords might boost his chances. Says The Atlantic's Andrew Sullivan, Paul is "the real thing in a world of fakes and frauds." And even though Paul himself is fond of saying that his message is perfect even if the messenger is not, his genuineness has given him major appeal. Like Cash, "keepin' it real" has perhaps been Paul's best asset.

The irony of politics is that the people typically least involved have the most to lose — young people. Older voters, no doubt, vote with patriotic intentions, but simple logic tells us that those who have contributed to the system the longest will always vote for candidates who promise to give them the best return on their investment, however much voters groan about getting ripped off. The establishment candidates of both parties love big government, if for no other reason than it's a great way to manipulate voters each election.

Simple logic also tells us that if we continue to live under such a system, we are going to go broke and young Americans are going to lose. When Paul talks about runaway inflation and fiat currency, remember what our grandparents told us about a movie and a soda pop once costing a quarter. Look at gas prices today. Now imagine it getting even worse. When Paul talks about government programs like Social Security and Medicare, think about how this country currently takes care of the elderly and the sick. Think about the current state of health insurance. Now imagine it getting even worse. And when Paul talks about the "military industrial complex" and America's external empire, think about what decades of foreign intervention has already cost this country in blood and dollars, including 9/11. Now imagine it getting even worse.

Paul is honest, consistent, and right on the issues, and he loves his country more than he loves political power. This alone says "change" more than the empty rhetoric of his contemporaries and makes Paul stick out like a cowlick in Mitt Romney's hair — no matter how hard the establishment tries to comb him down.

Democracy as a beauty pageant is a game this country will not be able to afford infinitely, and in a field of professional politicians competing to mismanage a broken system, for me, choosing Paul will be more like doing math than voting.

Ron Paul is not simply the best candidate. He's the only candidate.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A38857

CHECK THIS TOPIC TOO!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=93245

:cool:

qwerty
01-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Bump!

hillertexas
01-18-2008, 01:27 PM
"Ron Paul is not simply the best candidate. He's the only candidate."

Amen

Mckarnin
01-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Ron Paul is the only candidate who promises a break from the status quo

Ron Paul is the Johnny Cash of American politics. For decades, nobody in Nashville disputed that Cash was the genuine article, but by the early 1990s he was forgotten by a music industry more concerned with newcomers like Garth Brooks and Travis Tritt. Later Cash went on to resurrect his career on his own terms, and while remaining country to the core, he attracted a diverse audience, many of whom didn't even identify with country music.

The same could be said of Congressman Ron Paul. Since 1976, nobody in Washington D.C. denied that the Texas Republican was the genuine article, but by 2007 he was laughed off by a political industry more concerned with "serious contenders" like Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani. Paul forged ahead on his own terms, and while remaining conservative to the core, he has attracted a diverse audience, many of whom have never identified with the Republican Party.

But what does Ron Paul stand for? In a word — change. Yes, the most overused word in the 2008 presidential campaign applies to no one better than the Texas Republican, whose 10-term congressional career has been spent in virtual solitude for refusing to sell out his principles for politics.

The Republican Party has drifted so far from bedrock, conservative principles, as outlined above, that Paul is in the unique situation of being a breath of fresh air for traditional conservatives as well as independents, liberals, and scores of young people for whom "left" and "right" mean very little. Most Americans have literally never seen a candidate quite like him.

Candidates like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton or Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney are charismatic, understand the political machine, and use it to their advantage. Paul is an entirely different animal. While the other candidates are scheming and strategizing, Paul simply explains his policies and answers questions honestly, giving no thought as to how mouthing certain buzzwords might boost his chances. Says The Atlantic's Andrew Sullivan, Paul is "the real thing in a world of fakes and frauds." And even though Paul himself is fond of saying that his message is perfect even if the messenger is not, his genuineness has given him major appeal. Like Cash, "keepin' it real" has perhaps been Paul's best asset.

The irony of politics is that the people typically least involved have the most to lose — young people. Older voters, no doubt, vote with patriotic intentions, but simple logic tells us that those who have contributed to the system the longest will always vote for candidates who promise to give them the best return on their investment, however much voters groan about getting ripped off. The establishment candidates of both parties love big government, if for no other reason than it's a great way to manipulate voters each election.

Simple logic also tells us that if we continue to live under such a system, we are going to go broke and young Americans are going to lose. When Paul talks about runaway inflation and fiat currency, remember what our grandparents told us about a movie and a soda pop once costing a quarter. Look at gas prices today. Now imagine it getting even worse. When Paul talks about government programs like Social Security and Medicare, think about how this country currently takes care of the elderly and the sick. Think about the current state of health insurance. Now imagine it getting even worse. And when Paul talks about the "military industrial complex" and America's external empire, think about what decades of foreign intervention has already cost this country in blood and dollars, including 9/11. Now imagine it getting even worse.

Paul is honest, consistent, and right on the issues, and he loves his country more than he loves political power. This alone says "change" more than the empty rhetoric of his contemporaries and makes Paul stick out like a cowlick in Mitt Romney's hair — no matter how hard the establishment tries to comb him down.

Democracy as a beauty pageant is a game this country will not be able to afford infinitely, and in a field of professional politicians competing to mismanage a broken system, for me, choosing Paul will be more like doing math than voting.

Ron Paul is not simply the best candidate. He's the only candidate.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A38857

CHECK THIS TOPIC TOO!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=93245

Ron Paul! Ron Paul! Wooo!

rollingpig
01-18-2008, 01:32 PM
The Johnny Cash of American politics! Amazing!!!

qwerty
01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
bump!

:D

N13
01-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Newspaper endorsements like this are huge for the campaign.

Dave Wood
01-18-2008, 01:36 PM
megabump!

qwerty
01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
SPREAD THIS!

DealzOnWheelz
01-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Johnny Cash should Endorse him or did he die??

billjarrett
01-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Newspaper endorsements like this are huge for the campaign.

But it's an "alternative" paper with a "liberal" viewpoint..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_City_Paper

Not that we wont take it if we get a few votes out of it, but we really need the base Republicans to start taking notice that Ron Paul is saying what they are thinking.

Ernest
01-18-2008, 01:43 PM
But it's an "alternative" paper with a "liberal" viewpoint..

Sorry but the Southern Avenger is anything but liberal.

qwerty
01-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Bump!

billjarrett
01-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Sorry but the Southern Avenger is anything but liberal.

I don't live down there. If you do, then sorry for my comment.

I just looked up what I could find on the internet about it. I noticed that the front page was strangely laid out for a paper (blogs?), and that there were no subscription options. Looks like it's more like The Reader in the Chicago area.

robert4rp08
01-18-2008, 01:53 PM
badass article!

Ernest
01-18-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't like down there.

What does that mean?

The author of the article, The Southern Avenger i.e. Jack Hunter, is not a liberal. Not even close. He has been writing columns for years and has a radio show in Charleston. Just shows why wikipedia is weak at best as a reference.

pacelli
01-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Johnny Cash should Endorse him or did he die??

Died September 12, 2003.

billjarrett
01-18-2008, 02:06 PM
What does that mean?

The author of the article, The Southern Avenger i.e. Jack Hunter, is not a liberal. Not even close. He has been writing columns for years and has a radio show in Charleston. Just shows why wikipedia is weak at best as a reference.

Corrected my typo

Its supposed to be "live" not "like"

Closest I lived to there was Augusta for awhile.

Anyways, glad you cleared this up. I had a mental image of The Reader in Chicago, which I doubt you would see very many conservatives reading. If this guy actually has a conservative following in Charleston then great, it's what we need.

ConstitutionGal
01-18-2008, 02:11 PM
The Southern Avenger has done some awesome bits that are posted on YouTube about Dr. Paul and he (the SA) is Uber Conservative and has a pretty good local audience from what I understand.

aspiringconstitutionalist
01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Great article.

ursamajor
01-18-2008, 02:33 PM
wow. that is a great article

affa
01-18-2008, 02:58 PM
blimp

niall
01-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Amazing article, let's spread it far and wide.

axiomata
01-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Great article. The point about why the elderly logically tend to vote for big government is dead on and something I hadn't thought about before. We are at the point where the entitlement-state has been around long enough that everyone has already sunk a huge chunk of their paychecks over the course of their lives into the system. So even if you disagree with the system in principal, because they were forced into it it is perfectly logical to seek a return on that investment. I have a newfound respect for voters of the older generations who voluntarily right off those original "investments" with their ballot in the name of the future generations and the future of the country, especially if they are lower-middle class.