PDA

View Full Version : Signs, Signs, woe is signs

ASayre
01-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Three weeks ago, I come back from a trip to find my sign gone. Okay, I know there were some very heavy winds, could've blown off.

Put the sign back up.

Fast forward to yesterday, I got a hundred signs from GrassrootsHQ. Put up a second sign and stuck it into the bushes so it's visible from the cross street as well.

Wake up this morning, and the sign in the shrubberies was gone, and the yard sign in the ground was removed (But left the 'H' stake in there).

What is their freaking problem, that they'd trespass into our property and steal our signs?

I know we can use Crisco to 'get back' at someone stealing signs, but does anyone have any suggestions for preventative actions we can take for sign stealing?

steph3n
01-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Three weeks ago, I come back from a trip to find my sign gone. Okay, I know there were some very heavy winds, could've blown off.

Put the sign back up.

Fast forward to yesterday, I got a hundred signs from GrassrootsHQ. Put up a second sign and stuck it into the bushes so it's visible from the cross street as well.

Wake up this morning, and the sign in the shrubberies was gone, and the yard sign in the ground was removed (But left the 'H' stake in there).

What is their freaking problem, that they'd trespass into our property and steal our signs?

I know we can use Crisco to 'get back' at someone stealing signs, but does anyone have any suggestions for preventative actions we can take for sign stealing?

vid cam, and vicious attack dogs

Mark Rushmore
01-18-2008, 12:17 PM
vid cam, and vicious attack dogs

wireless vid cams strapped to the necks of vicious attack dogs, that way you can sell the footage and recoup your initial outlay

pacelli
01-18-2008, 12:18 PM

One simple strategy that TruckinMike uses is to use a ladder and nail the signs high up in the air, out of arm's reach. If you haven't read the infamous TruckinMike & Captain thread, just do a user search for "TruckinMike" and check out what he's been doing. He's got mad skills.

steph3n
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
One simple strategy that TruckinMike uses is to use a ladder and nail the signs high up in the air, out of arm's reach. If you haven't read the infamous TruckinMike & Captain thread, just do a user search for "TruckinMike" and check out what he's been doing. He's got mad skills.

oh yea sometimes i think he must put the ladder on the cab of the truck to get them that high :D

matthylland
01-18-2008, 12:20 PM
try a camera. Probably a neighbor if it is happening right away.

by the way...whats the trick with crisco? just coating the signs?

phixion
01-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Probably a neighbor.

Easy to catch or identify them next time. Then it's up to you how you deal with them.

Pete

WilliamC
01-18-2008, 12:22 PM
See post #22 of this thread.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=89474&highlight=sticker&page=3

Bumper stickers, highway guard rails, nation wide, millions of viewers.

The one in the picture has lasted 4 years :)

steph3n
01-18-2008, 12:22 PM
try a camera. Probably a neighbor if it is happening right away.

by the way...whats the trick with crisco? just coating the signs?

put the sign up and crisco it, then if they take it it will soil their car BADDDDD

GregVernon
01-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Off topic, but I haven't been able to get any signs from the HQ, anyone got any spare signs? I have some high traffic areas in my precinct that I'd like to post some signage at...

I've bought a few already, but I'm sort of strapped for cash atm...

gaazn
01-18-2008, 01:00 PM
maybe they just want the signholders.

NoxTwilight
01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Motion activated sprinkler .. saw it on YouTube where a guy used it to keep birds out of his pool. Freaking hilarious. Sure you could find it again if you wanted to see it but that would be my preference. A shot of cold water in winter will stop that I'm sure.

ASayre
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
maybe they just want the signholders.

The second time they stole the sign and didn't take the H stake for one of the two signs.

But yar, hoping to find a preventative way to prevent them from stealing yard signs - The other methods other than putting them really high (doesn't work on a yard), are reactive instead of preventative methods for dealing with 'em

Cindy
01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Motion activated sprinkler .. saw it on YouTube where a guy used it to keep birds out of his pool. Freaking hilarious. Sure you could find it again if you wanted to see it but that would be my preference. A shot of cold water in winter will stop that I'm sure.

Camp out behind a bush or car with your lawn hose in hand.

If it happened to me twice, I would stay awake one night and watch for who it is and then scare the piss out of them when you catch them in the act.

Place boards with upside down nails on them around the signs after dark. They won't see them, step on the, and will never ever go to steal a sign again. I'd have fun boobie trapping my yard.

If thats not your thing.

Putting them up high is good if you have a spot.

One thing I do, because I am not allowed to put signs in my yard, is keep one car parked in the drive way with RP stuff on it and a lawn sign in the back window.

yongrel
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
bearspray

Dave Wood
01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Camp out behind a bush or car with your lawn hose in hand.

If it happened to me twice, I would stay awake one night and watch for who it is and then scare the piss out of them when you catch them in the act.

Place boards with upside down nails on them around the signs after dark. They won't see them, step on the, and will never ever go to steal a sign again. I'd have fun boobie trapping my yard.

If thats not your thing.

Putting them up high is good if you have a spot.

One thing I do, because I am not allowed to put signs in my yard, is keep one car parked in the drive way with RP stuff on it and a lawn sign in the back window.

OUCH Cindy! You are rough! Remind self never to go near your yard:eek:

khorbis
01-18-2008, 02:37 PM
This has been happening to a member of the Charlotte Meetup Group as well. I'll tell you what I told him:

Something along these lines might be helpful (assuming you are attaching the sign to a post or some other stationary object): http://www.tufnut.com/category.aspx?id=2

Alternatively, if you live near or own any chain link fence: http://www.shifflerequip.com/shop/details.phtml?JmM9NjQmczE9NjUmczI9NjUyJnBpbj1VMGN5

Alternatively^2, if you’re on a budget, you could try to outsmart the sign burglar(s) with fake security decals: http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=958 (for example)

Alternatively^3, if you’re filthy stinkin’ rich, get a REAL security camera for some hardcore incriminating evidence in case you want to take them to court (hell, I’d want some justice too…not to mention compensation).