PDA

View Full Version : The Ron Paul Case for Gold

madRazor
01-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Can someone with a good knowledge of this kind of thing confirm or deny?

I was thinking that Gold is a good investment whether RP wins the nomination or not.

Case Win: Takes steps to 'legalize' (forget the constitution, gold is not legal - HA!) competing currencies, and the demand for gold will increase. Demand increases, price increases.

Case Not Win: Economy continues to tank, recession, and gold acts like a safe-haven. Demand increases, price increases.

If my reasoning is sound, is there a serious amount of risk in paying into the GLD etf? I mean how hard is it for those in charge of the etf to just confiscate 'your' gold if the shtf? How any of you have physical gold in your possession, and how do you keep it safe?

Thanks for any info!

born2drv
01-18-2008, 08:31 AM
physical is always safest...... there's a lot of "paper gold" out there too, people promising to hold you gold or what not and if there was a run on the system you'd be out of luck. i've heard reports that the electronic or paper gold out there issued by banks and governments outnumbers physical by 4 to 1 or more.

where to keep it? well you can get a good sized safety deposit box in your local bank . before i kept my gold in my safe, i paid $250/yr for the biggest box my bank had which was about 12" high by 12" wide by 30" long or something like that.

hocaltar
01-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Your mostly correct. Just remember though, the value of gold doesn't really change. The value of fiat money does. Thats why you could buy an $800 suit in 1910 with one oz of gold and you can buy an $800 suit today with oz of gold. Gold is simply a safe way to store money. I am holding my gold forever to give to my kids one day. Who knows, if Bernanke starts printing the money by the helicopter load, it may be the best investment I ever made.

I bought 12oz of gold at $770 (10k was all I could afford). My father bought 50oz at $400.

madRazor
01-18-2008, 08:36 AM
physical is always safest...... there's a lot of "paper gold" out there too, people promising to hold you gold or what not and if there was a run on the system you'd be out of luck. i've heard reports that the electronic or paper gold out there issued by banks and governments outnumbers physical by 4 to 1 or more.

where to keep it? well you can get a good sized safety deposit box in your local bank . before i kept my gold in my safe, i paid $250/yr for the biggest box my bank had which was about 12" high by 12" wide by 30" long or something like that.

Didn't the US Government raid people's boxes for their gold in the early 1900s?

born2drv
01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Didn't the US Government raid people's boxes for their gold in the early 1900s?

i believe so, and the IRS can raid your box if they find you guilty of evading taxes, etc... but it's the safest place for now for the average person. if things start getting ugly i'd pull my gold out quietly and just keep it in my house without telling anyone.

that's the most important thing about storing your gold if you do it at home, just make sure no one knows you have any gold, don't brag about it, don't flaunt it, and keep it hidden, you should be the only one who knows about it and you should be fine.

you can also buy a nice safe for like $4000-5000 and stick it in your garage, if you're really paranoid you can hire a security company to put sensors and monitor the safe just like a jewelry store, and on top of that you can get insurance to insure the contents of the safe against theft, again like a jewelry store would.

DGambler
01-18-2008, 08:59 AM
The best case for gold, is to use real world examples. Look at what is going on in Zimbabwe right now with there 150,000% inflation (a tube of toothpaste costs them 60,000,000 of their dollars). The central bank is pumping more money into the economy try to curb the rising prices (LOL, like that will work)... if their currency was tied to gold, you would never see this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4665854.stm

Edu
01-18-2008, 08:59 AM
You may want some silver coins 1oz, because that will be spendable for food or whatever. Gold will be somewhat worthless since you need to trade a lot of food and goods for it and most people will be in a bad situation.
Or small gold coins, like dime size.

robert4rp08
01-18-2008, 09:04 AM
I just started buying silver and gold not too long ago. My first purchase were Liberty Dollars, but they never made it to me (damn the FBI). Since then I've bought silver eagles and bullion. I wouldn't think of it as an investment though. More like security against the tanking dollar. You can also buy foreign currencies too (I think this is called hedging).

extrmmxer
01-18-2008, 09:23 AM
You want physical metal, silver and gold. Keep it somewhere that the government wouldn't know about. Better buy it quick because it's going to continue to rise.

twdahm
01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
DO NOT KEEP YOUR GOLD AND SILVER IN A SAFTEY DEPOSIT BOX!!!! The best deal is to buy "junk silver" go to your local coin shop tell them you want to buy so much dollars worth of junk silver (these are fifty cent pieces, quaters, and dimes 1964 or earlier. All are 90% silver) this is where you will get the best deal and closest to spot price.

robert4rp08
01-18-2008, 09:40 AM
DO NOT KEEP YOUR GOLD AND SILVER IN A SAFTEY DEPOSIT BOX!!!! The best deal is to buy "junk silver" go to your local coin shop tell them you want to buy so much dollars worth of junk silver (these are fifty cent pieces, quaters, and dimes 1964 or earlier. All are 90% silver) this is where you will get the best deal and closest to spot price.

Yeah, good call. This is a great way to get into silver purchasing (plus you might get extremely lucky and find a diamond in the rough). You can also get private mint rounds/bars that are near spot value from local shops (or online, but you need to pay shipping).

madRazor
01-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Awesome, I'm out of equities now, so I guess it's on to my local gold / silver shops. I am looking on CoinInfo.com for places close to me but does anyone know of another source? (I don't have a phone book.)

Redmenace
01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I went to google maps and looked for "gold and silver" near my home address and it came up with several results.

steve005
01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I bought 12oz of gold at $770 (10k was all I could afford). My father bought 50oz at $400

I wouldn't make that kind of info public

Edu
01-18-2008, 11:59 AM
DO NOT KEEP YOUR GOLD AND SILVER IN A SAFTEY DEPOSIT BOX!!!! The best deal is to buy "junk silver" go to your local coin shop tell them you want to buy so much dollars worth of junk silver (these are fifty cent pieces, quaters, and dimes 1964 or earlier. All are 90% silver) this is where you will get the best deal and closest to spot price.Do you think people you want to trade with will understand or be able to tell that these are not just plain old coins?

Silver rounds, private mint, 1oz are 99.9% silver and they tarnish (which to me is a good thing).

You could pay your employees in gold etc.. and save them the taxes:
http://www.wethepeoplefoundation.org/UPDATE/Update2007-09-30.htm

Probably something you never heard about (isn't that amazing).

kirkblitz
01-18-2008, 12:07 PM
http://www.goldmoney.com/

i use them and i like it.

Kitco.com and apmex.com are good if you want to physcially keep it.

robert4rp08
01-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Awesome, I'm out of equities now, so I guess it's on to my local gold / silver shops. I am looking on CoinInfo.com for places close to me but does anyone know of another source? (I don't have a phone book.)

google maps. type in your address and search for business near you. try "coin collecting"

theseus51
01-18-2008, 12:48 PM
One way to do it if you own your house, is to dig a big hole. Then buy a safe, and put it in the hole. Then pour concrete to secure your safe, and make it way too heavy for anybody to remove the safe. That way you don't have to rely on bank safe deposit boxes, and save money on rental fees. Plus you don't have to worry about the government raiding those safe deposit boxes. And of course cover up your safe with wood or something to hide it.

jacmicwag
01-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Thought I read somewhere that Ron Paul once owned a coin shop. Wonder if he is still in that business.

kirkblitz
01-18-2008, 12:54 PM
One way to do it if you own your house, is to dig a big hole. Then buy a safe, and put it in the hole. Then pour concrete to secure your safe, and make it way too heavy for anybody to remove the safe. That way you don't have to rely on bank safe deposit boxes, and save money on rental fees. Plus you don't have to worry about the government raiding those safe deposit boxes. And of course cover up your safe with wood or something to hide it.

how do you get to it then?

robert4rp08
01-18-2008, 01:08 PM
how do you get to it then?

dynamite lol

bluemarkets
01-18-2008, 01:35 PM
do your research on bullion vs private gold. Gold can be recalled by the government
as it has been in the past (FDR) and they will take away any bullion coins after 1933.

Gold before 1933 is considered collectible and was allowed to be kept back during the depression. So if the economy really tanks, private gold is the best to have.

Elwar
01-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Buying silver or gold to use in a SHTF scenario is not all that wise. For a SHTF scenario your best investment is food, toiletries, gun, etc. People would not just start trading in gold and silver. They would use cash just like they do now, and it would actually hold its value at that point. I recall reading a reason.com article about this, they brought up the Kurds (or some group) as an example. They had their own currency and then the SHTF. They did not resort to gold or silver coins to trade. They used their currency, and no more was being produced. Their currency actually held value.

Edu
01-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Bump! - for SHTF scenario :D

scooter
01-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Buying silver or gold to use in a SHTF scenario is not all that wise. For a SHTF scenario your best investment is food, toiletries, gun, etc. People would not just start trading in gold and silver. They would use cash just like they do now, and it would actually hold its value at that point. I recall reading a reason.com article about this, they brought up the Kurds (or some group) as an example. They had their own currency and then the SHTF. They did not resort to gold or silver coins to trade. They used their currency, and no more was being produced. Their currency actually held value.

I agree with this. Gold is a good hedge against the decline in your dollar, but holding the actual metal in your house isn't going to help you if SHTF. The only money at that point will be guns, ammo, food, and water.

I also believe that actual physical cash would still be accepted for a time during a SHTF scenario. Keep a few hundred or a few thousand in a safe at your house for disasters.

NoMoreApathy
01-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't it be good to have smaller amounts of gold, like 1/10 pieces?

I would have to imagine that there would be enough people who would be willing to barter things for silver and gold. Having smaller pieces would make it easier to make smaller purchases, so to speak.

Also, having the gold and silver in your physical possession, wouldn't it be good in the event that the dollar eventually came back up after the hard times passed, so you could maybe trade or sell gold back for regular money again when the trust in it returns?

DarkLaw
01-18-2008, 02:53 PM
I buy 90% of my SILVER AND GOLD from eBay of all places.
A lot of times, you can find deals where people inherit junk silver, gold coins, bullion, etc or they have had it for a few years and need money to pay bills, etc etc etc.

I always set a 'price' for myself - say,

bid + shipping costs = no more than $2.00 over current market spot.
THAT is where you will find CHEAP silver and gold. This is the CLOSEST to
market price you can find. I bought 50 oz. of silver 'rounds', allllll in air tight capsules
for about $135 UNDER current market price. The guy had sooo many rounds and had some bill collectors knocking on his door so he sold'em at a 'Buy it Now' price and I swooped in and stole it!

Seriously, I laughed at the idea of eBay at first - but now that's the only place I buy from.

affa
01-18-2008, 03:53 PM

Don't forget to make a map with a great big X.

Arghh, matey.

dannno
01-18-2008, 05:35 PM
:D