PDA

View Full Version : When women's league of voter's held the debates

HollyforRP
01-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Does anyone have any recollection of this? I am too young but after speaking to some who remember this, they said that the women's league of voters had more fair debates and it was taken over and twisted into unfair debates.

Is this true? I found this website with the story on it and breif history with the title: "Top 10 Secrets They Don't Want You to Know About the Debates"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4052162

Truth Warrior
01-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Did the LWV ever host debates in the primaries? Not that I seem to recall.

HollyforRP
01-18-2008, 06:03 AM
I think they only sponsered the primary debates which they ended up withdrawing from.

They sound libertarian! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Women_Voters

"The Voter Service and Citizen Education portion of the LWV informs and educates voters about candidates, the electoral process and issues on which the LWV has no position.

The League of Women Voters Education Fund sponsored the 1976, 1980, and 1984 presidential debates. In 1988, the LWV withdrew from debate sponsorship, in protest of the major party candidates attempting to dictate nearly every aspect of how the debates were to be conducted, which ultimately resulted in the Democratic and Republican parties forming the Commission on Presidential Debates which gave the parties greater control over the debate environment.

On October 2, 1988, the LWV's 14 trustees voted unanimously to pull out of the debates, and on October 3 they issued a dramatic press release:

The League of Women Voters is withdrawing sponsorship of the presidential debates ... because the demands of the two campaign organizations would perpetrate a fraud on the American voter. It has become clear to us that the candidates' organizations aim to add debates to their list of campaign-trail charades devoid of substance, spontaneity and answers to tough questions. The League has no intention of becoming an accessory to the hoodwinking of the American public.

The LWV continues to sponsor and moderate candidates' meetings and debates for local and state elections across the country. The LWV puts out voter's guides that compare candidates' positions on various issues. Some chapters of the LWV also staff precincts on Election Day helping to administer elections. In addition, some local chapters including the League of Women Voters of Philadelphia host Election Day Hotlines with local television stations to assist voters by answering their questions throughout Election Day. The LWV is a strong supporter of transparency in government and many chapters send members to observe meetings of governmental bodies."

Truth Warrior
01-18-2008, 06:09 AM
My point was that LWV held the debates for the general elections AFTER the primaries and the party nominee selection conventions.

Thanks! :)

HollyforRP
01-18-2008, 06:49 AM
ahh, I see! Gotcha. I did not understand what someone else told me concerning LWV's involvement of the debates.