PDA

View Full Version : Canada Puts America on "Countries-That-Torture" List

Knightskye
01-18-2008, 02:25 AM
Iran... Syria... UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqPyy3HinR8

Yeah, we're screwed... :eek:

Fields
01-18-2008, 03:06 AM
What makes this story is that there was torture but I have issues with that.

The introduction gives an example of Omar Kadar, who was tortured by "forced nudity" and "sleep deprivation." Now I spent 6 days in Sacramento county jail for something that ended being dismissed in December. My time there, I never got more than 2 hours of sleep due to officers forcing us to get up and goto the door to "make sure we were alive." Furthermore, when I got there they "forced" me to get naked and if they ever suspected I was hiding anything, I'm absolutely sure I would have had to strip down. This story is sensationalism.

Trust me, I'm on your side and fully understood why you posted this but it negates the fact, it is just like a tabloid.

Knightskye
01-18-2008, 03:51 AM
This story is sensationalism.

I believe Olbermann said "held without trial." That violates the 5th and 6th Amendments, buddy.

But I love how you skip Olbermann's Maher Arar example and call the whole thing "sensationalism". Lovely. :p

Fields
01-18-2008, 04:04 AM
In the story, all that is said is Maher Arar is "sent to Syria to be tortured." In that statement there is no proof, there is no reasoning, so where you see him being important I don't understand. The main issue in the story is what I posted.

"5th and 6th Amendments" according to whose constitution?

m72mc
01-18-2008, 04:10 AM
why do you think you donīt have any allies in Europe anymore. Itīs the way you behave.
aggressive wars. using depleted uranium, torture, the list goes on and on. I think you have well deserved to be on that list.

The notion of America spreading democracy, is a joke here.

I hope America comes to itīs senses, for all of us. Letīs hope we can get to the notion when all the world can say "god bless America, the land of the free and the brave".

Knightskye
01-18-2008, 04:50 AM
In the story, all that is said is Maher Arar is "sent to Syria to be tortured." In that statement there is no proof, there is no reasoning, so where you see him being important I don't understand. The main issue in the story is what I posted.

No proof or reasoning? LOOK IT UP. I guess if you're accidentally sent to a CIA black site some point in the future, you're not important either.

"5th and 6th Amendments" according to whose constitution?

What country do you live in?

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

and

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Whose Constitution? Ours, you jerk.

I hope America comes to itīs senses, for all of us. Letīs hope we can get to the notion when all the world can say "god bless America, the land of the free and the brave".

Amen. :D