PDA

View Full Version : Canvassing jitters...

sockmonkey70@yahoo.com
01-17-2008, 11:35 PM
I had planned to go out and canvass my neighborhood over the long weekend...But I am nervous...I am somewhat apprehensive about knocking on strangers doors...Not because of shyness...But you never know what kind of person might be there...As a female, would my safety be compromised in a situation like this? Maybe I am just paranoid...And have little faith in human nature LOL.

icon124
01-17-2008, 11:38 PM
The problem is at first ppl think your there to try and sell them a product or whatever...once they see u are sincere then the ease up and everything becomes a lot easier...take that from a person is SHY and did it anyway lol

literatim
01-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Become a precinct leader and follow the instructions.

jblosser
01-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Take a friend if you can, and don't be stupid (don't go after dark, don't go inside, etc.).

But do it for the children!

jake
01-17-2008, 11:41 PM
once you do two or three places, it will be very very easy :)

sockmonkey70@yahoo.com
01-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Take a friend if you can, and don't be stupid (don't go after dark, don't go inside, etc.).

But do it for the children!

Thank you for actually answering my question!

McDermit
01-17-2008, 11:44 PM
exercise your 2nd amendment rights. You'll feel a lot safer. LOL.

sockmonkey70@yahoo.com
01-17-2008, 11:46 PM
LOL! I wouldn't want to scare anyone :p

VOTE OR DIE!

liberty_Forever
01-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Crack a few American beers before you go!

Fields
01-17-2008, 11:57 PM

hahaha, that a way to set a good example. :rolleyes:

hopeforamerica
01-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Absolutely go with another person! I canvassed HARD for two straight days in Las Vegas with another female. We felt much better having both of us there. We were in some really seedy apartments too. It was really easy and 99.9% of the people were nice. People even thanked us for what we were doing, even if they didn't like Ron Paul. It was a great experience that I will keep doing here in AZ.

Don't worry, just go out there and do it! If every one of us on here did a few hours each weekend, we would win this thing!

tsiguy96
01-18-2008, 12:08 AM

then when you get to teh third house, you stumble onto the porch and start yelling when they shut the door. you dont remember getting to the fourth house. or the fifth.

marsha s
01-18-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm nervous about facing all the people I know. I live in a very small town and don't usually discuss politics with friends or aquaintences. And I, myself, do not like to feel preached to when someone knocks at my door. I plan on keeping it short and sweet but I'm still scared as hell to "put myself out there." I will be writing a letter to the editor of my town's newspaper, but I feel less worried about this as I will have plenty of time to compose my thoughts. Oh well. I'm just going to have to suck it up. I don't want to have any regrets later that I didn't do what I could have.

angrydragon
01-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Bring a friend with you.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Bring a friend with you.

Or someone from a local meetup group.

BenIsForRon
01-18-2008, 12:17 AM
It's very fun. Have a partner do the same neighborhood with you, not necessarily the same house. After a few houses you'll have the hang of it.

BenIsForRon
01-18-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm nervous about facing all the people I know. I live in a very small town and don't usually discuss politics with friends or aquaintences. And I, myself, do not like to feel preached to when someone knocks at my door. I plan on keeping it short and sweet but I'm still scared as hell to "put myself out there." I will be writing a letter to the editor of my town's newspaper, but I feel less worried about this as I will have plenty of time to compose my thoughts. Oh well. I'm just going to have to suck it up. I don't want to have any regrets later that I didn't do what I could have.

The objective is not to preach, it is to connect. Hopefully you'll get a lot of people who want to talk, let them speak their minds and then fill them in on where Ron Paul agrees with them.

sockmonkey70@yahoo.com
01-18-2008, 01:44 AM
One problem I have, is our meetup group is small and I don't know anyone from it... and my facebook group only has one person interested in the campaign at all...and he's already stated he won't go door to door with me because he thinks it's too intrusive....None of my girlfriends seem too intersted either..I don't want to not go at all though!!! Eeeek. I live in a good neighborhood, it's just something that nags at me.

Bilgefisher
01-18-2008, 01:53 AM
One problem I have, is our meetup group is small and I don't know anyone from it... and my facebook group only has one person interested in the campaign at all...and he's already stated he won't go door to door with me because he thinks it's too intrusive....None of my girlfriends seem too intersted either..I don't want to not go at all though!!! Eeeek. I live in a good neighborhood, it's just something that nags at me.

If they don't want to go, offer to buy them lunch and ask them as a favor to you. Please, please take a friend though. I guess I am old fashion, but it still concerns me for a women to knock on doors alone. To many creeps out there.

sockmonkey70@yahoo.com
01-18-2008, 02:08 AM
If they don't want to go, offer to buy them lunch and ask them as a favor to you. Please, please take a friend though. I guess I am old fashion, but it still concerns me for a women to knock on doors alone. To many creeps out there.

Thanks :) I am glad I am not the only person who thinks like this...I know I should believe in the best in people...But in this world it's hard sometimes!

pacelli
01-18-2008, 02:13 AM
Thanks :) I am glad I am not the only person who thinks like this...I know I should believe in the best in people...But in this world it's hard sometimes!

You have every right in the world to trust this gut feeling you have and be cautious before you head out the door. This apprehension is a signal to you that you need some backup. That's a very good thing - and you are insightful for realizing this :) There must be someone in your life who can join you, even if they don't agree with your politics and they just stand there. They can help hold your canvassing supplies.

Benaiah
01-18-2008, 02:56 AM
//

NJ Carlos
01-18-2008, 03:10 AM
I agree, always bring a friend along even if they don't want to be involved in the canvassing process. Ask someone to go for a walk with you, and let them stand away while you do your thing.

Sorry to jack the thread, but I applied at RonPaul2008.com to become a precinct leader but I haven't heard back from them. The enrollment told me I would be receiving a password in the mail but I received no such e-mail. It has been almost a week now and, while I'm certain they take some time to approve individuals and confirm their identity, I'm wondering if they already have a leader for my precinct and if they will inform me of that fact. Anyone have suggestions?

robofx
01-18-2008, 03:34 AM

You should be running for office in that town (school board, mayor, whatever.) Paul's not gonna do diddly by himself even if he gets elected POTUS.

We need to be running for office on a "Ron Paul Republican" platform & take back the nation bit by bit, law by law, regulation repeal by regulation repeal.

But I know where you're coming from.

robofx
01-18-2008, 03:39 AM
As a female, would my safety be compromised in a situation like this?

DO NOT GO ALONE. PERIOD.

r3volution1776
01-18-2008, 03:42 AM
What days are you going canvassing? and so you live anywhere close to Texas? I know you don't know me from the next person, but I'd drive up for the day, and maybe bring another person or two. I haven't kidnapped anyone while canvassing with them yet!

runderwo
01-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I agree, always bring a friend along even if they don't want to be involved in the canvassing process. Ask someone to go for a walk with you, and let them stand away while you do your thing.

Sorry to jack the thread, but I applied at RonPaul2008.com to become a precinct leader but I haven't heard back from them. The enrollment told me I would be receiving a password in the mail but I received no such e-mail. It has been almost a week now and, while I'm certain they take some time to approve individuals and confirm their identity, I'm wondering if they already have a leader for my precinct and if they will inform me of that fact. Anyone have suggestions?

Check your spam filter! That's where mine ended up.

crazyfacedjenkins
01-18-2008, 10:25 AM
I had planned to go out and canvass my neighborhood over the long weekend...But I am nervous...I am somewhat apprehensive about knocking on strangers doors...Not because of shyness...But you never know what kind of person might be there...As a female, would my safety be compromised in a situation like this? Maybe I am just paranoid...And have little faith in human nature LOL.

First you should bring someone with you. Two people always looks more professional. Second, if you are nervous, start our brief with the people. Say that you just want to get the message out and here's the slim jim. When you visit more houses, you won't be nervous anymore and you can try and talk a bit more.

Eponym_mi
01-18-2008, 10:58 AM
I, myself, do not like to feel preached to when someone knocks at my door.

No preaching involved.

Hi, my name is X. I live in the neighborhood and am out canvassing for the upcoming primary/caucaus. Will you be voting?

What are the major issues you are focusing on for this election?

Have you decided on a candidate, or are you still deciding?

Do you know about Ron Paul?

Be prepared to discuss RP's position on their issues
Provide slimjims or other lit addressing their issues
Suggest that they visit RP's web site for more info
Advise them of upcoming debates or events
If they're already a RP supporter, ask them to get involved

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Don't bug people at home IMO, just leave some literature on the doorstep for them to check out later. Do you like getting bugged at home from someone trying to sell you on a religion, magazine subscription, or candidate? I think its a big mistake to bug people at home. I cringe when I think of a Rudy volunteer knocking on my door and bugging me! I think the campaigns make a big mistake calling and bugging people at home. Do you know anyone who enjoys unannounced visitors and telemarketing calls?

Regardless of what you do out there, at least you are doing it and good luck.

shadowhooch
01-18-2008, 11:04 AM
I say just keep it simple and drop flyers at the door of everyone. You don't need to talk face to face or knock on the door. You'll get more done that way and right now, we need A TON more votes. So saturation is key. You can make it personal if you wish by enclosing a "dear neighbor" letter.

If they are interested in voting at all, they will read it. I personally will never answer my door to a stranger trying to "sell" me something - especially politics.

Just another opinion.

Eponym_mi
01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Don't bug people at home IMO, just leave some literature on the doorstep for them to check out later.

I'm really tired of all the naysayers that try to second-guess what the campaign is recommending. You can't identify supporters unless you TALK to them. :rolleyes:

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm really tired of all the naysayers that try to second-guess what the campaign is recommending. You can't identify supporters unless you TALK to them. :rolleyes:

Can you send me your addy so I can send salespeople to your house to sell you stuff? And don't forget the phone number so I can have the telemarketers to call you as well. I am sure they would like to talk to you and indentify possible leads.

shadowhooch
01-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Actually, last I checked, the campaigns instructions were to NOT knock on doors.

The phone survey is where you identify the Ron Paul supporters.

Eponym_mi
01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Can you send me your addy so I can send salespeople to your house to sell you stuff? And don't forget the phone number so I can have the telemarketers to call you as well. I am sure they would like to talk to you and indentify possible leads.

I have people knock on my doors occasionally. If they're selling something or prostyltisers, the conversation is pretty short. If they're asking my opinion on something, which is what canvassing is mostly about, I have no problem sharing it. I'm opinionated about a lot of things and know of few people that aren't.

Out of the 200 houses I had time to actually canvass, I had one person that was somewhat hostile, and it happened to be someone I knew from high school (although he didn't recognize me and I didn't say that I remembered him). The guy was a asshole back then and apparently hasn't changed any, so, no big deal.

Like most people, I despise telemarketers. However, I have much less objection talking to someone face to face. Maybe you'd just prefer to stay in your basement and never actually talk with anyone, but most people aren't like that.

If I really was worried about people coming to my house, I'd put up a sign.

Eponym_mi
01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Actually, last I checked, the campaigns instructions were to NOT knock on doors.

You must have trouble reading...

https://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/:rolleyes:

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 11:43 AM
I have people knock on my doors occasionally. If they're selling something or prostyltisers, the conversation is pretty short. If they're asking my opinion on something, which is what canvassing is mostly about, I have no problem sharing it. I'm opinionated about a lot of things and know of few people that aren't.

I would suggest that you are in the minority as you are the first person I have ever met who enjoys unannounced salespeople showing up on your door and telemarketing phone calls.

Like most people, I despise telemarketers. However, I have much less objection talking to someone face to face. Maybe you'd just prefer to stay in your basement and never actually talk with anyone, but most people aren't like that. If I really was worried about people coming to my house, I'd put up a sign.

Actually, what I prefer is to be left alone at home and do not like having people show up on my door unannounced. Fortunately most people already know that people do not like to be bothered at home and it rarely happens, therefore a sign is unnessecary. Actually, in the 30+ years I have lived in California I have never had a campaign volunteer bug me at home. And if the election results are any indication of the effectiveness of this, I think we better change this policy.

As for your basement comment, I don't have a basement, but I do enjoy taking my family to the park.

Eponym_mi
01-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Ad Hominem, why do you feel the need to make this a personal flame war?

Because I get VERY tired of people like you trying to put a damper on the efforts of others. If you don't want to participate in getting RP elected, just stay in your basement until somebody else gets elected.:rolleyes:

-lotus-
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Ive found that a good way to 'warm' up on canvassing is to go to a few friends houses first and talk to them. keep it short, just tell them you wanted to bring them some info, talk to them briefly and practice your dialogue with them so you know what to say at the next place.

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Because I get VERY tired of people like you trying to put a damper on the efforts of others. If you don't want to participate in getting RP elected, just stay in your basement until somebody else gets elected.:rolleyes:

I have not put a damper on anyones efforts, but rather voiced my opinion about knocking on peoples doors. In the time it takes you to knock on 200 doors, I have already hit 1000 homes with literature. Looks like your strategy worked very well in Michigan. Are you 12 years old? Your need to continually turn this into a flame war shows that you cannot be a day over 12. Hell, my 12 year old daughter has better manners. :)

John P Slevin
01-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I think the campaigns make a big mistake calling and bugging people at home.

Maybe every single winning presidential campaign has made you feel uncomfortable...I know the people elected make me uncomfortable.

ALL winning campaigns have door to door and phone canvass. It is essential to their success.

Supporters need to talk to voters both to let them know Ron Paul exists and to demonstrate that actual live people support Ron Paul.

Eponym_mi
01-18-2008, 11:55 AM
firebirdnation, I've been watching your posts in other threads. You seem to be a plant from another campaign. So, who are you really supporting?:rolleyes:

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Maybe every single winning presidential campaign has made you feel uncomfortable...I know the people elected make me uncomfortable.

ALL winning campaigns have door to door and phone canvass. It is essential to their success.

Supporters need to talk to voters both to let them know Ron Paul exists and to demonstrate that actual live people support Ron Paul.

I have lived in California for over 30 years and have never had a volunteer from a campaign bug me at home. Perhaps its because our election day falls on super tuesday. I think you can accomplish both goals by leaving literature on their door knobs and becoming active in the community/church. I am not knocking folks who knock on doors, but I have never met anyone, besides one person on this forum, who enjoys people showing up to their homes unannounced and trying to sell them something.

shadowhooch
01-18-2008, 11:57 AM
You must have trouble reading...

https://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/:rolleyes:

Whoops. I signed up 2 weeks ago and got completely different instructions. They must have changed things on me. Thanks for the update.

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
firebirdnation, I've been watching your posts in other threads. You seem to be a plant from another campaign. So, who are you really supporting?:rolleyes:

Sounds kind of strange, perhaps you need a hobby? ;)

John P Slevin
01-18-2008, 11:58 AM

Don't worry. Almost everyone is shy about it at first...you'll lose that quickly, because you will see that almost all homes are very polite and at many you'll be thanked for what you are doing (most people realize it takes guts to get out there and do it, and often they tell you how they respect your commitment).

It would be a good idea to take someone with you.

I've been doing this for many, many years and I can assure you that most voters are receptive, and appreciative of your efforts.

Eponym_mi
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
if the election results are any indication of the effectiveness of this, I think we better change this policy.

Looking at the results for precincts adjacent to mine, which were not canavassed and had essentially the same demographics, there was literally a 100% improvement in voter turnout for RP....and I never even had a chance to canvass my entire precinct. Unfortunately, the precinct captain program was implemented too late to make a significant difference here. IA and NH had better results than MI because they were canvassed heavily.

Tidewise
01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
I have been canvassing my precinct. I felt the same way as you did, but after I sucked it up I have felt fully confident in knocking on doors and spreading Ron Paul's message of Liberty. People WANT to hear it. I have had a great response.

Watch some Ron Paul videos and get yourself psyched up. Read about what our forefathers did to win their (and our) Liberty from King George.

If you need it, PM me, I will give you my phone number. You can call me and I will get you psyched and walk you right up to your first door. All right?

Now get out there! There are so many undecideds just waiting for something to tip the scales in Dr. Paul's favor!

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Looking at the results for precincts adjacent to mine, which were not canavassed and had essentially the same demographics, there was literally a 100% improvement in voter turnout for RP....and I never even had a chance to canvass my entire precinct. Unfortunately, the precinct captain program was implemented too late to make a significant difference here. IA and NH had better results than MI because they were canvassed heavily.

The biggest issue for the campaign is Ron Pauls name recognition, and since the media is ignoring him, we need to get his name out there. This is why I try to cover as much ground as possible. My 12 year old daughter and I had a blast canvassing our precinct, and we hit so many homes that we are out of campaign material. When we were leaving our last canvassing trip we seen someone standing there reading the slimjims we had left, and he seemed interested in what he was reading. I am of the opinion that its best to leave people alone when they are at home, but I do not have anything against those who do want to knock on each door. As long as they are our there doing something positive, they have my support. Doesn't mean I agree with how they are doing it, but its better than doing nothing.

crazyfacedjenkins
01-18-2008, 12:50 PM
The biggest issue for the campaign is Ron Pauls name recognition, and since the media is ignoring him, we need to get his name out there. This is why I try to cover as much ground as possible. My 12 year old daughter and I had a blast canvassing our precinct, and we hit so many homes that we are out of campaign material. When we were leaving our last canvassing trip we seen someone standing there reading the slimjims we had left, and he seemed interested in what he was reading. I am of the opinion that its best to leave people alone when they are at home, but I do not have anything against those who do want to knock on each door. As long as they are our there doing something positive, they have my support. Doesn't mean I agree with how they are doing it, but its better than doing nothing.

You have to call them and make sure they vote. I'm sorry man, but you appear to know nothing about campaigning. Sure it's a good idea to leave the literature without knocking, but it's really stupid not to do a follow up. REALLY STUPID. Do you know anything about sales and marketing?

Anti Federalist
01-18-2008, 01:27 PM
I've got to agree with firebirdnation on this one.

I was given the "official" canvassing script to identify voters to make sure they got out on primary day here in NH.

The script was long, horribly intrusive, and the vast majority of responses I got were negative as in "none of your 'effin business".

Also there is a logistical problem in that I live in a fairly rural area, driving from home to home and walking up quarter mile drives is a time consuming process. Not to mention the fact that many people around here don't take kindly to you walking or driving up to their homes unannounced. I know I sure don't.

Now, maybe in a suburban development setting in sunny Cali or SC this would work better, and that's what rubbed me the wrong way, it was "top down" plan being pushed out by HQ that was not going to be effective, at least not here.

And I'll also admit I'm no salesman, I hate everything about the whole concept, and am not good at it all. So I did what I could and worked at things I was better at.

Tidewise
01-18-2008, 01:28 PM
I have been hitting low hanging fruit only - just Republicans (California is a closed primary) and Libertarians (who might not have switched).

People look up to you regardless of whether they support Ron Paul because you are doing something and they wish they had the guts to do it.

NOW GO TURN SOME UNDECIDEDS - YOU CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!

Tidewise
01-18-2008, 01:31 PM

And I'll also admit I'm no salesman, I hate everything about the whole concept, and am not good at it all. So I did what I could and worked at things I was better at.

I totally understand your post here. That is why many times I keep it very brief, find out if they are undecided and get them Llepard's ad and some other campaign material.

The message sells itself. If they are too stupid to buy the message of their own Liberty, there is little you can do. Next!

LiberalDemForRP
01-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Poor sockmonkey. All she wanted was a little moral support and her thread devolves into a battle of opinions.

Sockmonkey, keep us updated on how it goes. I'm rootin' for ya!

sockmonkey70@yahoo.com
01-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Thank you to the people who have answered my question and given me support. It's raining and about 39 degrees so I decided not to go out in this weather. My friend who had originally wanted to come with has been sick since yesterday, so today wouldn't have been good anyway. Maybe she'll feel better by tomorrow or Sunday...Maybe even Monday...I just hate to be cutting it so close to the Caucus...I wish I had had the guts to sign up as Precinct Leader sooner :( There's still the Primaries though on Feb. 9...

I think in my situation it's vital that I knock on doors and not just drop literature...We have a Caucus on the 22nd that no one knows about, which ultimately decides our delegates. People need to know about this, even if it's only my neighborhood.

Carole
01-18-2008, 03:08 PM
You should go in groups or pairs.

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 03:11 PM
You have to call them and make sure they vote. I'm sorry man, but you appear to know nothing about campaigning. Sure it's a good idea to leave the literature without knocking, but it's really stupid not to do a follow up. REALLY STUPID. Do you know anything about sales and marketing?

Can I sign you up telemarketing calls? I guess I could do nothing, but I am sure its far better to irritate people at home. I am sure it will get them to vote for our guy. I am sorry, but you don't know anything about leaving people alone at home and running an effective campaign. Its stupid to bug people at home. Do you know anything about sales and marketing? Do you think people like to have salespersons showing up at their homes? If so, then whey don't we see more of them? Do you think people like to get phone calls from telemarketers? If so, why do we have a National no call list? :rolleyes:

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 03:18 PM

I was given the "official" canvassing script to identify voters to make sure they got out on primary day here in NH.

The script was long, horribly intrusive, and the vast majority of responses I got were negative as in "none of your 'effin business".

Also there is a logistical problem in that I live in a fairly rural area, driving from home to home and walking up quarter mile drives is a time consuming process. Not to mention the fact that many people around here don't take kindly to you walking or driving up to their homes unannounced. I know I sure don't.

Now, maybe in a suburban development setting in sunny Cali or SC this would work better, and that's what rubbed me the wrong way, it was "top down" plan being pushed out by HQ that was not going to be effective, at least not here.

I agree, and it doesn't work very good here in California as I never see anyone out selling or canvassing here. Perhaps in some locations its different, but I have lived in nothern, central, and southern California, and door to door salespersons are almost non-existent, and I have never met a person who said they wanted to be bothered by salespersons at home. Some seem to hold on to what HQ says as if its the word of God, and anyone not following it to the letter is a troll. I am of the opinion that as long as you are out there getting the word out, you are doing the right thing.

Tim724
01-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Here is what I am doing for door-to-door. (I know it probably isn't the best, but it is what I am comfortable with).

First off, here in Maryland we have a closed primary. So right now, there isn't much point in contacting registered Democrats.

I got the canvassing list from the official campaign with the names, addresses, and party affiliation of people in my area. So, I am going to buy a bunch of envelopes and for each Republican on the list, I will write their address on an envelope. Then I will put a slim jim in each envelope and leave them at the people's front doors.

Though the envelope is an extra cost, I believe people will be more interested in the slim jim when it arrives in an envelope with their address handwritten on it.

I am also thinking of other ways I could possibly personalize the envelope.

Cyclone
01-18-2008, 04:22 PM
I would suggest that you are in the minority as you are the first person I have ever met who enjoys unannounced salespeople showing up on your door and telemarketing phone calls.

Actually, what I prefer is to be left alone at home and do not like having people show up on my door unannounced. Fortunately most people already know that people do not like to be bothered at home and it rarely happens, therefore a sign is unnessecary. Actually, in the 30+ years I have lived in California I have never had a campaign volunteer bug me at home. And if the election results are any indication of the effectiveness of this, I think we better change this policy.

As for your basement comment, I don't have a basement, but I do enjoy taking my family to the park.

You must be rude as hell to people because I have terrific success when I make calls. I am terrible polite and roughly half of the people I speak to are happy to talk. I can tell when I am losing them on one issue or getting them on another, I know when to push a topic and when to back down. About 80% of the people I talk to become supporters or are very interested.

I have never read a piece of campaign literature in my life. All of it goes directly in the trash, do not pass go, does not pass my eyes. So, I think the personal touch is much better at really turning people around.

electronicmaji
01-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Girls have three or four times as much a chance to convert voters than men....

yongrel
01-18-2008, 04:23 PM
pepper spray does wonders

Eponym_mi
01-18-2008, 04:23 PM
it doesn't work very good here in California as I never see anyone out selling or canvassing here.

It isn't done here, so, it doesn't work? Well, yeah! No wonder.:rolleyes:

BenIsForRon
01-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Girls have three or four times as much a chance to convert voters than men....

QFT. Get out there and canvass ladies! For some reason a good portion of the population seem to be much more open to hearing these ideas from women. I still got mostly good responses, but I got the vibe from some people that they thought I was just some opinionated college dude who was trying to push my ideas on them.

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 04:54 PM
It isn't done here, so, it doesn't work? Well, yeah! No wonder.:rolleyes:

Salespersons were common at one time, but no longer. :rolleyes:

Eponym_mi
01-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Salespersons were common at one time

Canvassers are not salesmen. But hey, thanks for hijacking the thread with all your BS. :rolleyes:

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 04:56 PM
You must be rude as hell to people because I have terrific success when I make calls. I am terrible polite and roughly half of the people I speak to are happy to talk. I can tell when I am losing them on one issue or getting them on another, I know when to push a topic and when to back down. About 80% of the people I talk to become supporters or are very interested.

I have never read a piece of campaign literature in my life. All of it goes directly in the trash, do not pass go, does not pass my eyes. So, I think the personal touch is much better at really turning people around.

I don't call people, so how can I be rude as hell? Explain the National No Call list if people are so excited to recieve a telemarketing phone calls. How do you measure the rate at which they become supporters?

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Canvassers are not salesmen. But hey, thanks for hijacking the thread with all your BS. :rolleyes:

Canassers are very similar to salespersons, except for the fact they are not being paid to sell a candidate. Are you not trying to sell the candidate to the folks you are canvassing? I can see you are trying to pass this off, but you are the one whom keeps the BS going. ;) BTW, the topic of this thread is canvassing, so tell me how it has been hijacked.

sockmonkey70@yahoo.com
01-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Eeeek..OK..Guys stop it. I plan on canvassing..That is a given...I just wanted to know if I should try to get a friend to go along..and if I couldn't..whether it would be OK to go alone. So no arguing please! :) We all have different opinions...We shouldn't push them on each other...just respect them.

firebirdnation
01-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Eeeek..OK..Guys stop it. I plan on canvassing..That is a given...I just wanted to know if I should try to get a friend to go along..and if I couldn't..whether it would be OK to go alone. So no arguing please! :) We all have different opinions...We shouldn't push them on each other...just respect them.

I agree 100%, and thanks for getting out there and good luck. :)

Eponym_mi
01-18-2008, 05:18 PM
the topic of this thread is canvassing, so tell me how it has been hijacked.

You're opposing the campaign, sowing doubt, and discouraging people from doing what needs to be done. Maybe its not your thing...fine, go do something else. But if you're going to second-guess the campaign, you're not much of a supporter.

I hope you haven't signed up as a precinct captain because its obvious you're not going to do the job.:rolleyes:

jrich4rpaul
01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Write letters
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=89676

John P Slevin
01-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Can I sign you up telemarketing calls? I guess I could do nothing, but I am sure its far better to irritate people at home. I am sure it will get them to vote for our guy. I am sorry, but you don't know anything about leaving people alone at home and running an effective campaign. Its stupid to bug people at home. Do you know anything about sales and marketing? Do you think people like to have salespersons showing up at their homes? If so, then whey don't we see more of them? Do you think people like to get phone calls from telemarketers? If so, why do we have a National no call list? :rolleyes:

You appear to know nothing about how campaigns are run.

Canvassing door to door and by phone is far more effective than broadcast or print advertising. It's targeted at exactly the voters you need, with none of the obvious waste of broadcast ads.

It is done by every successful campaign...NO presidential campaign succeeds without extensive use of canvass.

It is that simple.

Mortikhi
01-19-2008, 06:55 AM

Take someone with you.

If you cant do that, knock on the door and then stand back 5 paces - enough distance to flee if you felt the need.

I think you have greater odds of getting in a car wreck than getting dragged into a house though.

John P Slevin
01-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Actually, in the 30+ years I have lived in California I have never had a campaign volunteer bug me at home.

The only reason campaign canvass might skip your home is if the voter rolls show you either are not registered or that you are registered and do not vote.

You also might have an exceptionally messy home, the kind which people avoid due to health concerns.

Aside from that, every regularly voting Californian has their door knocked-on, has their phone ring.

I know because I've organized efforts to knock and ring for many, many years. So has every actual, well run campaign, as typically, it is the most effective means of communication with voters, the most likely way to persuade voters to take a specific action.

Lit drops rarely are done via canvass as there is direct mail (sure, you canvass by knocking, and if no one answers, you drop lit----but you don't canvass only to drop lit). Why go thru the time and trouble of organizing, managing then doing a large scale canvass if all the many volunteers or paid staff are doing is what can be accomplished via the postbox? It actually is cheaper, more efficient to pay the postage and forget about the recruitment and management of a huge army of canvassers.